The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Young Jimlad:

Oh and we can take our pick for AFF the goal.

Vidic was made a mug of by Teddy, Rio was far too soft against Harewood, VDS could have arguably done better at the near post, but its either Scholes or Carrick at fault for not tracking Reo-Coker from deep thats probably most culpable.

From what I remember about the goal - have to check again - Carrick was nearest. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I didn't see which one of them didn't track him, although given it was the more advanced midfielder who scored more often than not that would be Carrick's man. But personally i thought the biggest mistake was Rio not stopping the ball coming over. He was tight to his man, with him not facing the goal, and should never have allowed him to get free enough to get the ball across.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Terry Cheung:

The commentator said that Carrick had picked up an injury. That better be the reason.

Anyway, an undeserved defeat in a type of game where dare-I-say-it Ruud would have snatched a goal. United were never going to keep winning every game, so as long as it's a one-off... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not you as well Terry icon_frown.gif

I can't see any reason for thinking Ruud would have done anything yesterday. There are some games where you think there were a number of balls flashing across the box that just needed someone to get on the end of them, but that simply wasn't the case. We weren't beating them down the flanks, so the vast majority of ball we had resulted in either a long range shot, or a high cross that was easilt dealt with by the centre backs. I simply don't see what difference Ruud would have made when the problem was that we weren't really creating opportunities, not that we weren't getting on the end of them.

As for O'Shea, the only thing i felt that could have been going through Fergie's mind if it wasn't an injury was that a world class defensive player like O'Shea would allow Scholes to get forward and join the attack, as he was playing much deeper than we would like to support Carrick.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Terry Cheung:

Rio had a few unconvincing moments and should have prevented the cross.

He also got brushed off far too easily by Zamora when he had that shot which VDS saved. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

While i thought he should have been stronger, i also felt he was fouled. If he'd done to Zamora what Zamora did to him, it would have been a free kick and a red card for a professional foul.

Worst game I have seen this season. We were nothing in the final third of the pitch. Rooney was crap, Giggs completely wasted and Saha was just too far away from Rooney (probably Rooneys fault for being too far away from Saha but I still don't believe Saha did enough to warrant anything).

IMO Rio, Vidic, Nev and Ronny were the only 3 players who actually looked awake for the game.

Fault for the goal goes to Scholes for letting Reo-coker walk into the box unattended.

I also think that it showed today that we need a striker who is willing to get in there and battle for the ball and use strength. Harewood was superb at this and caused us a few problems, whereas Rooney and Saha just aren't the type of player to do this.

'mon the FA Cup. icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

I can't see any reason for thinking Ruud would have done anything yesterday. There are some games where you think there were a number of balls flashing across the box that just needed someone to get on the end of them, but that simply wasn't the case. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think there were many chances which went begging either, but it was one of those games which was crying out for a scrappy goal rather than a Ronaldo piledriver and when we were chasing the game and pumping the ball into the box he might have made a difference.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

Got to diagree Ryno. I think both Saha and Rooney are forwards who will get stuck in and use their strength. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rooney relishes it more than Louis, though the latter is also willing to put himself about.

Alan Smith at his best would have loved this type of challenge.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

He also got brushed off far too easily by Zamora when he had that shot which VDS saved. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

While i thought he should have been stronger, i also felt he was fouled. If he'd done to Zamora what Zamora did to him, it would have been a free kick and a red card for a professional foul. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not sure. It was an excellent hand-off which you see all the time in top level rugby.

Did you notice that Rio and the other players didn't really appeal for a foul?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

Got to diagree Ryno. I think both Saha and Rooney are forwards who will get stuck in and use their strength. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They need to start showing it more often in games where we need it then. Both against Arsenal and West Ham, they were absent in this area.

While i thought he should have been stronger, i also felt he was fouled. If he'd done to Zamora what Zamora did to him, it would have been a free kick and a red card for a professional foul. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was a fair shoulder to shoulder and Zamora was just stronger tbf

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Weststandred:

Applying for Arsenal (A) tomorrow, don't know why really obviously going to be unsuccessful. I hope people are put off by the price, that's the only possible thing that would increase the chances of getting them. I really want to go to the Emirates icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

you don't deserve to go.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Young Jimlad:

Oh and we can take our pick for AFF the goal.

Vidic was made a mug of by Teddy, Rio was far too soft against Harewood, VDS could have arguably done better at the near post, but its either Scholes or Carrick at fault for not tracking Reo-Coker from deep thats probably most culpable.

From what I remember about the goal - have to check again - Carrick was nearest. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I didn't see which one of them didn't track him, although given it was the more advanced midfielder who scored more often than not that would be Carrick's man. But personally i thought the biggest mistake was Rio not stopping the ball coming over. He was tight to his man, with him not facing the goal, and should never have allowed him to get free enough to get the ball across. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aye its a difficult one to give AFFG for because it was basically a cumulative **** up where Scholesy (based on seeing the MOTD2 highlights) didn't track Reo-Coker who came from deep behind Carrick to nip in and score at the very end of the move, which is how I've generally been judging AFFG - last man able even if a big part of the damage was done earlier in the move.

Carrick isn't as culpable because, and I forgot that I was wondering this yesterday, he'd dropped deeper earlier to cover for the fact that Gabby was, for some reason, sitting on the edge of the 18-yard line until Harewood already had the ball and Rio had been forced to deal, at which point his last ditch attempt to double up on the big man was futile.

Rio should have stood up to him better, and I get why you're saying its the biggest error out of the lot, but from the highlights again it seems as though Rio got a nudge on the ball that pushed it away from Harewood towards the touchline but held it up enough to allow him to turn and play it in, which is a tad unlucky in a way. Add into that Gabby being nowhere and arguably 3 other players being less than alert to allow Reo-Coker to steal in and I'm not sure Rio is the most culpable.

After seeing it again, and unless someone comes up with a good argument against it to change my mind I'm giving AFFG to, and it pains me to do this, Scholesy icon_frown.gif.

most depressing thing about yesterday for me was the chelsea game. im convinced were the better team but they have the better individual players and have so many different match winners compared to us. they seem to be the ultimate win when youre not playing well team, aka the champions.

we were disgustingly poor yesterday, failing to secure a point may be the best thing that could have happened as it seemed like a few people were beginning to believe their own/the teams press.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by iron-bullet:

It was a fair shoulder to shoulder and Zamora was just stronger tbf </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

up until the point he pulled him down by the shirt, i'd agree.

i'd have been filthy if zzzzzzzzzamora scored with that chance.

haha I'm so not going into the match thread. I can only imagine the presence of Pires/slimsavery made it WONDERFUL though.

Anyway we were crap. And I saw this result coming a mile off. New manager syndrome f**king sucks.

People may look at this as the turning point weekend in the season, showing why Chelsea will win the league and we cant. At the same time - provided we get over this defeat and get a win away to Villa next game there's no reason why we cant keep pushing Chelsea for a while yet.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

oh and Rooney looked worryingly poor again :/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

that'll be because he spent most of last week poncing around in NY.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keyser:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

that'll be because he spent most of last week poncing around in NY. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_frown.gif /o\

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keyser:

that'll be because he spent most of last week poncing around in NY. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_frown.gif /o\ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

well he did icon_biggrin.gif the team lost momentum.

icon_frown.gif /o\ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

well he did icon_biggrin.gif the team lost momentum. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did he stay there, or go for the day?

The only reason i ask is as to whether jet lag would be an issue. Apart from that, he looked more like a player who needs a week or two off than to be criticised for not training.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Weststandred:

Applying for Arsenal (A) tomorrow, don't know why really obviously going to be unsuccessful. I hope people are put off by the price, that's the only possible thing that would increase the chances of getting them. I really want to go to the Emirates icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

May I ask why? Just applied, expecting the result to be unsuccessful on thursday though.

you don't deserve to go. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

icon_mad.gif May I ask why? Just applied, expecting the result to be unsuccessful on thursday though.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ryno:

Could always see if they need a left back and offer them Richardson. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't be silly, you know that Richardson is a central midfielder.

icon_mad.gif May I ask why? Just applied, expecting the result to be unsuccessful on thursday though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

have you applied for every domestic away game this season?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ericcantona7:

hey guys I need to know where I can get a 60s United shirt from like this with a number 7 on if possible, and shorts too. Anyone know any websites? I don't want to spend much, or are there any places in Manchester? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There is a shop in Affleck's Palace in town that sells old football shirts. Not sure how far back they go though.

Was 2 years ago last time I went in there so it's a long shot icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Howard eyes United exit

Tim Howard admits that Edwin van der Sar's new deal at Manchester United could very well single the end of his time at Old Trafford.

Red Devils chief Sir Alex Ferguson has just handed a new one-year deal to Van der Sar - who at 36 looks likely to continue for another two years at least.

Howard was himself heralded as United's great goalkeeping hope when he arrived at the club in 2003.

However, despite a good first campaign in United colours, Howard faltered under pressure and was sent on a season-long loan to Everton in August.

The 26-year-old is performing well for The Toffees and he admits he does not fancy the idea of returning to the club to sit on the bench.

"The contract is fantastic news for Edwin, I'd imagine United would be delighted to keep him for as long as he's fit. But it affects my mindset, of course. It's like a game of chess," he said.

"United have made their move and it tells me what I need to do next.

"I don't do very well on the bench, to be honest. You need someone who accepts that position and doesn't rock the boat. It's not in my blood because I like a little bit of fire.

"Raimond van der Gouw was a fantastic deputy goalkeeper at United. He came in, did a job and shut his mouth. I don't think I am the type."

Howard also revealed that he thinks Everton are looking to keep him and with Ben Foster - currently on loan at Watford - also available, Sir Alex Ferguson may well allow Howard to depart.

"I had a conversation with Sir Alex when Everton went to Old Trafford recently. Without words being spoken directly about it, I think moves have been made," he added.

"It's not like Ferguson stuck his foot up my backside and kick me out the door.

"But without question, if it doesn't happen for me at United, it can happen somewhere else, even though I still have good friends at Old Trafford. I am still in contact with the United boys, particularly Rio Ferdinand, John O'Shea and Ryan Giggs." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Archived