The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keyser:

pfft shame you didn't apply that when you were in 'Self Righteous Fan' mode, eh Jimbo? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

tbf it was actually an intrinsic part of his argument - 'I KNOW I deserve the tickets more than you because I've applied for every game SINCE BEFORE YOU WERE BORN'. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

and that's why it's balls, too.

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Eagles opts for United return

Chris Eagles will return to Manchester United in January from a loan spell at NEC Nijmegen.

The midfielder has spent the last four months in Holland following his deadline day switch.

However, Eagles has failed to find regular football at De Goffert, with the majority of his 11 league appearances coming as a substitute.

Eagles spent parts of last season with Sheffield Wednesday and Watford but opted for Holland after fellow United youngster David Jones' successful spell.

But the 20-year-old has taken up the option of returning to Old Trafford next month after struggling for first-team action. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just sell him already.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> MEN on kids

Manager Warren Joyce's side had six players in his XI who are on United's books. Evans, Simpson, Kirk Hilton, Darron Gibson, Mamam Souleymane and Dong Fangzhou all contributed to the win in the final match of the Belgian season before the winter break. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kirk Hilton ceased to be on United's books a looong time ago. wp MEN

Got my mid-season ack from One United today.

Made me laugh reading the letter.

"We want to remind you that as a One United member you automatically qualify for a place on the season ticket waiting list. You may think you'll never be lucky enough to get your hands on one, but with the recent expansion of the stadium to over 76,000 you've more chance now than ever before!"

Yeah because getting a season ticket this year if you wanted one was hard wasn't it icon_biggrin.gif

• Administrators

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coldberg:

I guess northern teams get charged more because it's less ditance to travel & they know fans will come to watch.

We get charged a premium pretty much wherever we go though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

afaik the Chelsea game is a one off because of the date of the game and the kickoff time and the fact it's on TV. Or something.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Juni:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coldberg:

I guess northern teams get charged more because it's less ditance to travel & they know fans will come to watch.

afaik the Chelsea game is a one off because of the date of the game and the kickoff time and the fact it's on TV. Or something. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

so ****ing what.

I'm paying £36 for Newcastle away, at 5.15 on New Years Day that's on TV.

robbing *****

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Juni:

afaik the Chelsea game is a one off because of the date of the game and the kickoff time and the fact it's on TV. Or something. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

or they've realised that chelsea's support is every bit as dire as their own and slashed prices in a desperate bid to actually get people to turn up

I paid £40 for Reading away. Now that's robbery. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Chelsea have always been the team that charges the most for away fans. Just looking on the Fulham website (you play them soon if you didn't know) and tickets are £45-£48 and that has always been the case, even before you were a good team. Now that's robbery.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

or they've realised that chelsea's support is every bit as dire as their own and slashed prices in a desperate bid to actually get people to turn up </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

premier league rules mean that away fans get to pay the same as home fans in similar seats.

So, if you happen to be going to a club which is having a one-off special you pay less.

We get it the other way, and pay the same premium the home fans do to see a big club.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Weststandred:

Chelsea have always charged the most, even before you won the league. So I don't see how a Chelsea fan can complain about prices. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

so just because it's happened for ages, it's acceptable?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Weststandred:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rsl:

pretty sure Birmingham charged a huge price for tickets in the prem 3 years back now </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Birmingham charged us $45 last season. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i knew it. you're a glazer, aren't you?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

Chelsea have always charged the most, even before you won the league. So I don't see how a Chelsea fan can complain about prices. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

so just because it's happened for ages, it's acceptable? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Juni was complaining he had to pay £40 for Reading away, when Chelsea charge £48.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rsl:

pretty sure Birmingham charged a huge price for tickets in the prem 3 years back now </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Birmingham charged us $45 last season. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i knew it. you're a glazer, aren't you? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Glazers setting aside £25m to pay for next Old Trafford 'superstar'

Exclusive: Oliver Kay

Manchester United will restrict Sir Alex Ferguson’s annual transfer expenditure to £25 million except for a one-off “superstar†purchase who meets the Glazer family’s desire for an icon to play alongside Wayne Rooney and Cristiano Ronaldo, according to documents seen by The Times.

In two 60-page presentations outlining their business plan for the refinancing of the club earlier this year, the Glazers made clear that United’s annual transfer kitty will remain £25 million, despite their belief that operating profits will increase to more than £100 million by 2011. The only exception relates to an extra £25 million set aside for a “superstarâ€, seemingly a headline act who would raise the club’s profile off the pitch as well as on it.

Last year, The Times disclosed details of the Glazers’ original business plan, including controversial ticket-price rises. The new documents reveal the latest debt figure as £656 million, which is forecast to reach £733 million by 2012, and that the total costs of the takeover were £831 million, including bank and legal fees of £41 million. Annual interest payments have risen from £20 million to £40 million as a result of the refinancing.

The documents also reveal the Glazers’ belief that no other English club comes close to United’s commercial prowess and that “Chelsea’s lack of brand appeal and limited fan-base beyond the UK make it a less compelling commercial partnerâ€.

They say that tickets at Old Trafford, which were subject to a minimum 12.5 per cent price rise this season, remain “undervalued†and will increase by a further 36 per cent by the start of the 2012-2013 campaign.

Television contracts will continue to soar, increasing the club’s annual media revenue from £46 million to £78 million by 2012. It is also revealed that players’ salaries will soar as a result of new television deals, with the squad’s wage bill (including bonuses) increasing from £53.2 million last season to £78.1 million by 2012. Increased sponsorship prospects will see the club’s annual commercial revenue rise from £56 million to £78 million by 2012 while the documents also recommend that the team should travel “to all corners of the globe†on pre-season and end-of-season tours to exploit the club’s brand.

Red Football, the Glazers’ investment vehicle, receives £1.6 million a year from United. The report makes no mention of the long-rumoured plan to sell and lease back Old Trafford or to break away the club’s rivals by pursuing separate broadcasting deals. Indeed, the Glazers describe the central distribution of broadcasting rights as “essentialâ€.

The Glazers, whose initial plans for the club were described as “aggressive†by David Gill, the chief executive, regard their latest plan as “conservativeâ€, but in many areas they speculate boldly. Predictions of playing performance are relatively cautious — a third-placed finish in the Barclays Premiership and progress to the last 16 of the Champions League each year — but their projected commercial and broadcasting revenues rely heavily on the latest football boom being sustained.

One area where have yet to speculate is in the transfer market. While Chelsea spend on average £75 million a year, the Glazers believe “£25 million of annual net player spend is sufficient to support forecast growth over the next five years†although an incremental £25 million capital spend bucket is available to the club.

A spokesman for the Glazers declined to respond to The Times revelations last night beyond saying that, “if the manager feels the right player is available, then Manchester United, as the world’s richest club, will seek to secure him.†</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was just reading through this myself, before you posted it. The following statement is very worrying.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">the Glazers believe “£25 million of annual net player spend is sufficient to support forecast growth over the next five years†</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

:|

I dunno BBB, I was a tad worried when I saw this bit:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The new documents reveal the latest debt figure as £656 million, which is forecast to reach £733 million by 2012, and that the total costs of the takeover were £831 million, including bank and legal fees of £41 million. Annual interest payments have risen from £20 million to £40 million as a result of the refinancing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But what wsr quoted will have me having nightmares for WEEKS

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

how easy would it be for us to be in real trouble with repayments?

in terms of the (under) performance of the team..? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd take relegation to get rid of the *****.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DeafParrot:

I think WSR just doesn't know the meaning of annual. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

reminds me of that bit in Dumb and Dumber

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

I'd take relegation to get rid of the *****. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd take relegation under any circumstances.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DeafParrot:

I think WSR just doesn't know the meaning of annual. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

reminds me of that bit in Dumb and Dumber </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

"Te...Te...Te..."

"The."

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The documents also reveal the Glazers’ belief that no other English club comes close to United’s commercial prowess and that “Chelsea’s lack of brand appeal and limited fan-base beyond the UK make it a less compelling commercial partnerâ€. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hope everyone else is feeling suitably smug right now

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

whs, it would also get rid of the idiotic 'prawn sandwich' brigade fans we have which is a good thing.

i thought re-financing was meant to reduce the annual interest repayments? :/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

somehow Kenyonomics lives on /o\

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 14AlanSmithifb:

whs, it would also get rid of the idiotic 'prawn sandwich' brigade fans we have which is a good thing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

problem being that as soon as we have any success they'd all come back.

Okay then, I'm not the only one seeing that the debt burden has gone up markedly right? I'm not misreading this badly due to the time of night? And is it me or is the article underselling how speculative their business plan is?

Okay I'm no economist but I don't see the collective deal for the Premiership punching as high as they think by 2012 and I don't see the repayments being covered by the massive ticket price rises being suggested.

The only way I see them managing anything like that is by trying to break away from the collective TV rights deal and grabbing at a mega-deal like Real, Barca, Milan et al. have that ****es on everyone elses fire & selling/leasing back the ground including a naming rights deal.

And even then I'm sceptical that they'll get anywhere near enough to cover their repayments. I mean for gods sake the debt is going to rise by just under £80 million in the next 6 years, so that surely means that they aren't even going to be making the minimum repayments over that time period surely?

Can someone answer these questions:

When the Glazers moved their personal debt over to the club, did they get their own investment in the takeover back then? Or are they still waiting for a return through Red Football?

Goddamn it that is depressing reading at this time of night...

Archived