The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right, a quick change of subject if possible:

Question: Who shall be leaving OT this winter and summer '07?

What got me thinking of this was my FM game where I signed a few players in places Fergie is probobly looking to improve on. I signed Mavuba from Bordeaux, Huntelaar in the summer of 07, and Jesus Navas of Sevilla at the same time.

Here's what I think:

Goalkeepers

VDS to obviously stay, but after that we have two highly talented keepers in Foster and Kurzceck. How long will they tolerate being sub/loaned out for? Both are also the same age. I think one will leave at some stage. Oh, and Timmeh obv out of here.

Defence:

Hargreaves to sign at some stage. This would possibly give an overload in central midfield which could see either O'Shea or Silvestre leave.I'd hedge my bets on it being Silvestre as, O'Sheas versitility unfortunately makes him somewhat of an asset.

I also have a sneaky suspision that Heinze may depart in the summer. He's now 29, which is about the age that United sell their most bankable assets (Becks, RVN, Veron, Stam etc...). Also, There seems to be no place left for Gerard Pique, who turns 20 in the summer. I think he'll leave.

Midfield:

Hargreaves to come in obv, but I also think that another winger may appear, due to the fact that Giggsy maybe wont play so many games next season. Nani of Sporting Lisbon, or Jesus Navas of Sevilla would be ace. Richardson to leave, as well as the two Jones's. As detailed before, perhaps O'shea, but I think that would be dependent on Silvestre's future and Hargreaves coming in.

Fowards

I think we're screaming out for a finisher (hence the short term Larsson signing), and there are big rumours that Fergie will move for Klass-Jan Huntelaar in the summer. Apparently Ajax dont want to sell until then. This would leave us with the following: KJH, Saha, Rooney, Solskjaer, Smith, Rossi. Unfortunately, something's gotta give there too. Smith is the obvious candidate to leave IMO, being the weakest of the 6. He would also be looking for first team football which we probobly could'nt give.

Also there is the question of Rossi. Where can he be accomidated? He's no longer a prospect for the future, he's a now player who will want games, and unfortunately (apart from Ole), the other 4-5 are all young too. Maybe he'll be sold?

Anyway, what are your thoughts on all this?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by something less annoying:

And surely one from Silvestre and Heinze will go and I think we all know which one it'll be icon13.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Heinze utterly more bankable unfortunatly. Its the United way icon13.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ?:

I can honestly see Foster, Heinze, Richardson, Pique, Rossi, and Smith departing before 2008. icon13.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

tbh, Richardson leaving would almost make up for all the others.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ?:

I can honestly see Foster, Heinze, Richardson, Pique, Rossi, and Smith departing before 2008. icon13.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

tbh, Richardson leaving would almost make up for all the others. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He's an abortion.

TVF, I'd be annoyed about Pique and Rossi. Whats the point of briging in these highly talented youngsters as teenagers, when you know full well that your just going to keep buying in players for there positions in the future?

Was thinking the other day about Heinze, I can see us selling him too. I don't think Fergie will be looking to get rid but if someone comes in and offers £8m for him, I think he'll at least say to Gaby that he can go. Gives him an excuse to sign Bale, not that he needs an excuse to sign a left-back.

Mikael icon_frown.gif Doubt he'll be here for too much longer, but if he were to go, I hope he gets a good club.

And yeah a striker would be nice, Saha as good as he is, I don't rate as good enough to lead our line in an ideal world and be dependant on.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

Was thinking the other day about Heinze, I can see us selling him too. I don't think Fergie will be looking to get rid but if someone comes in and offers £8m for him, I think he'll at least say to Gaby that he can go. Gives him an excuse to sign Bale, not that he needs an excuse to sign a left-back.

Mikael icon_frown.gif Doubt he'll be here for too much longer, but if he were to go, I hope he gets a good club.

And yeah a striker would be nice, Saha as good as he is, I don't rate as good enough to lead our line in an ideal world and be dependant on. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just about your last point- in the glorius '99 team, neither Cole nor Yorke could be described as world class, but they did a good enough job to win the treble.

This team, player for player, actually reminds me A LOT of the 99 team.

Oh, and I firmly believe a winger will arrive in the summer.

Foster won't go, he has time on his side. I suspect Kusczak would go before him but I think he'll stay too. With Howard and eventually VDS gone they'll be two decent keepers by then hopefully.

Richardson, yes please. Pique, probably, though with Evans coming through I'll cope.

Don't see why Rossi would go at all, Smith will depend on how his recovery comes on.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

Foster won't go, he has time on his side. I suspect Kusczak would go before him but I think he'll stay too. With Howard and eventually VDS gone they'll be two decent keepers by then hopefully.

Richardson, yes please. Pique, probably, though with Evans coming through I'll cope.

Don't see why Rossi would go at all, Smith will depend on how his recovery comes on. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah but playing time for 6 strikers Mika? Rossi is at that age where its make or break and he needs games.

Jan

Out

Silvestre ~£3m

In

maybe Hargreaves

Summer

Out

Howard ~£3m

Richardson ~£2m

Smith ~£4m

Bardsley ~£1m

In

Winger

Hargreaves ~£16m

Huntelaar ~£12m

Leaving us with this squad:

Van Der Sar

Kuzczak

Foster (loan out)

G Neville

Ferdinand

Vidic

Evra

Heinze

Brown

Pique

Ronaldo

Scholes

Carrick

Hargreaves

Park

Giggs

New Winger

O'Shea

Rooney

Huntelaar

Saha

Rossi

Solskjaer

then the end of next season Scholes retires icon_frown.gificon_frown.gificon_frown.gificon_frown.gificon_frown.gificon_frown.gificon_frown.gif maybe Giggs and Solskjaer too, and Saha leaves.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ericcantona7:

Jan

Out

Silvestre ~£3m

In

maybe Hargreaves

Summer

Out

Howard ~£3m

Richardson ~£2m

Smith ~£4m

Bardsley ~£1m

In

Winger

Hargreaves ~£16m

Huntelaar ~£12m

Leaving us with this squad:

Van Der Sar

Kuzczak

Foster (loan out)

G Neville

Ferdinand

Vidic

Evra

Heinze

Brown

Pique

Ronaldo

Scholes

Carrick

Hargreaves

Park

Giggs

New Winger

O'Shea

Rooney

Huntelaar

Saha

Rossi

Solskjaer

then the end of next season Scholes retires icon_frown.gificon_frown.gificon_frown.gificon_frown.gificon_frown.gificon_frown.gificon_frown.gif maybe Giggs and Solskjaer too, and Saha leaves. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wes Sneijder in for Scholes please. Or perhaps thats the position that Fergie has earmarked for Rossi?

Just about your last point- in the glorius '99 team, neither Cole nor Yorke could be described as world class, but they did a good enough job to win the treble.

This team, player for player, actually reminds me A LOT of the 99 team.

Oh, and I firmly believe a winger will arrive in the summer. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Perhaps, I'm not saying that he shouldn't be playing for us, I just ultimately think that we can do better (ie someone who can score a one on one).

I took a crack at predicting the rest of the season:

Reading H - 3

newcastle A - 3

Villa H - 3

Arsenal A - 0

Watford H - 3

Spurs A - 3

Charlton H - 3

Fulham A - 3

Liverpool A - 1

Bolton H - 3

Blackburn H - 3

Portsmouth A - 3

Sheffield Utd H - 3

Chelsea A - 0

Boro H - 3

Everton A - 1

City A - 1

West Ham H - 3

Total 42 (50) - 92

CHELSEA

Fulham H - 3

Villa A - 1

Wigan H - 3

Liverpool A - 1

Blackburn H - 3

Charlton A - 3

Boro H - 3

Man City A - 3

Portsmouth A - 1

Shef U H - 3

Watford A - 3

Spurs H - 3

West Ham A - 1

Man Utd H - 3

Newcastle A - 3

Bolton H 3

Arsenal A - 0

Everton H 3

Total 43 (46) - 89

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ericcantona7:

damn forgot Fletch, hope he stays, which means O'Shea must surely leave? as for the new winger, not idea who it'll be, could just be a youngster, Martin? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nah, Martin strikes me as a David Bentley mkII. Basically to be shipped out before becomeing a good(ish) player somewhere else.

I'll say Navas of Sevilla. Queresma of Porto, Nani of Sporting or Simao. Not that many good young winger about TBH that I can think of?

We haven't got six strikers yet, and with Ole's age and uncertainty over Smith's capability, we would benefit from having Rossi.

And plus he's young, and if he's as good as Fergie rates him, then we'll keep him. If only Newcastle hadn't signed Sibierski.

Scholes won't retire at the end of next season, and Neville will be gone before him. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bardsley straight in for Neville. Or, I have an inkling that Ferie wants a Cafu type Right Full next. Remember us going in for Cicinho and De Jong? Both extreamly attack minded.

Scholes to retire at 34 TBH. Thats at the end of '08 I think.

oh and VDS retires/leaves after next season too, Fergie retires after winning the ECL, and Mourinho takes over with this team:

Foster

?? (Richards please)

Ferdinand

Vidic

Evra

Ronaldo

Carrick

Hargreaves

Rossi

Rooney

Huntelaar

Kuzczak

Brown

Fletcher

Park

New Striker/Winger

Neville will probably be done after next season too, or at least not playing every game, seems to be the perfect time for Fergie to retire.

Scholes won't retire at the end of next season, and Neville will be gone before him. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bardsley straight in for Neville. Or, I have an inkling that Ferie wants a Cafu type Right Full next. Remember us going in for Cicinho and De Jong? Both extreamly attack minded.

Scholes to retire at 34 TBH. Thats at the end of '08 I think. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not sure about Bardsley, heard good things about Simpson though, need Nick/Taz around to tell me of his merits.

Who would you lot get as a keeper?

I'll tell you who I really fancy, and it will probobly chock you a bit- Andres Isaksson of Citeh and Sweden. Extreamly talented young goalkeeper. Roght size, right ability, right age, wrong club icon_frown.gif

Or else Timo Hildebrand of Stuttgart, although he's about to transfer to HSV IIRC.

Scholes to retire at 34 TBH. Thats at the end of '08 I think. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not sure about Bardsley, heard good things about Simpson though, need Nick/Taz around to tell me of his merits. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Simpson arrogently turned down my new contract offer in FM to sign for Hull FFS icon_frown.gif. This is in summer 07 icon_eek.gif

I'll tell you who I really fancy, and it will probobly chock you a bit- Andres Isaksson of Citeh and Sweden. Extreamly talented young goalkeeper. Roght size, right ability, right age, wrong club icon_frown.gif

Or else Timo Hildebrand of Stuttgart, although he's about to transfer to HSV IIRC. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

At this stage I don't see why we should be looking beyond Foster/Kuszczak, unless a better opportunity presents itself.

Or else Timo Hildebrand of Stuttgart, although he's about to transfer to HSV IIRC. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

At this stage I don't see why we should be looking beyond Foster/Kuszczak, unless a better opportunity presents itself. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

TBH, neither fills me with confidence. Kuszczak strikes me as spectaculer but wobbly, and Foster, although good, reminds me a lot of Carroll icon_frown.gif. We'll need somebody bigger and more imposing.

UNITED

Reading H - 3

Newcastle A - 3

Villa H - 3

Arsenal A - 0

Watford H - 3

Spurs A - 3

Charlton H - 3

Fulham A - 3

Liverpool A - 0

Bolton H - 3

Blackburn H - 3

Portsmouth A - 1

Sheffield Utd H - 3

Chelsea A - 0

Boro H - 3

Everton A - 3

City A - 3

West Ham H - 3

Total 43 (50) - 93

CHELSEA

Fulham H - 3

Villa A - 3

Wigan H - 3

Liverpool A - 1

Blackburn H - 3

Charlton A - 3

Boro H - 3

Man City A - 3

Portsmouth A - 3

Shef U H - 3

Watford A - 3

Spurs H - 3

West Ham A - 3

Man Utd H - 3

Newcastle A - 3

Bolton H - 1

Arsenal A - 0

Everton H - 3

Total 47 (46) - 93

We win on goal difference.

oh and VDS retires/leaves after next season too, Fergie retires after winning the ECL, and Mourinho takes over with this team:

Foster

?? (Richards please)

Ferdinand

Vidic

Evra

Ronaldo

Carrick

Hargreaves

Rossi

Rooney

Huntelaar

Kuzczak

Brown

Fletcher

Park

New Striker/Winger

Neville will probably be done after next season too, or at least not playing every game, seems to be the perfect time for Fergie to retire. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mourinho can feck off. We shouldn't play 4-3-3, especially not without dedicated wide men. We won't get Huntelaar. Neville will last longer than Scholesy.

Apart from that it's not bad :safetywink:

TBH, neither fills me with confidence. Kuszczak strikes me as spectaculer but wobbly, and Foster, although good, reminds me a lot of Carroll icon_frown.gif. We'll need somebody bigger and more imposing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can see where you're coming from with Kus, I don't think he'll make it as a number 1 either.

Completely disagree on Foster though, don't really see the Carroll comparison.

Why would we sell Rossi? Thats akin to us selling a 19 year old Paul Scholes.

He has been nothing short of phenominal in the reserves and has looked good in our first team. Because Newcastle we reluctant to put their faith in something who was only on loan doesnt hinder his chances with us.

Then we move onto Foster, hes going why? Hes brought in because hes young and has a fantastic future ahead of him. We have loaned him to give him the experience he needs of being a number 1 at the top level so he can continue his education and hopefully come back ready to take over from Edwin when he goes.

Pique i think could have a really good future here too but with Johnny Evans coming through and the loan move with a sell on option i'm not too sure the club see it that way.

And while i havent had the chance to watch Pique this season i think its 4 starts, 2 sub appearences and 2 goals for Zaragoza.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

Why would we sell Rossi? Thats akin to us selling a 19 year old Paul Scholes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly icon_biggrin.gif

TBH, neither fills me with confidence. Kuszczak strikes me as spectaculer but wobbly, and Foster, although good, reminds me a lot of Carroll icon_frown.gif. We'll need somebody bigger and more imposing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can see where you're coming from with Kus, I don't think he'll make it as a number 1 either.

Completely disagree on Foster though, don't really see the Carroll comparison. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just the small(ish) stocky frame, the steadyness, decent shot stopper, but not exceptional. Good back up keeper, or decent Neil Sullivan/ Chris Kirkland/ David James (maybe not) type for a mid table club.

We want to be looking at the Buffon's and Schmikes of this world. Somebody world cllass and imposing.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

Why would we sell Rossi? Thats akin to us selling a 19 year old Paul Scholes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, but if thats where we want to deploy him in future. I havent seen evidence than Fergie is thinking that way.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by something less annoying:

Can't see us selling Foster. I don't understand why we signed Kuzsczak in the first place. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

With Howard being loaned out and surely sold on, Foster getting much needed games at Watford, we needed a new number 2.

I take it that you didn't write his Wiki page then, describing his "imposing stature"? icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just checked and he's 6'2 icon_eek.gif Doesnt look it at all.

Completely disagree on Foster though, don't really see the Carroll comparison. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just the small(ish) stocky frame, the steadyness, decent shot stopper, but not exceptional. Good back up keeper, or decent Neil Sullivan/ Chris Kirkland/ David James (maybe not) type for a mid table club.

We want to be looking at the Buffon's and Schmikes of this world. Somebody world cllass and imposing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ben Foster is 6'2 and has been a man mountain this season for Watford. He looks big and imposing and has rightly been praised for his performances this season. Watch any Watford game look at the number of times he keeps them in a game.

You say we should be looking at the Buffons and Schmeichels of this world but we picked up Schmic from Brondby and i bet none of us had a clue who he was. Schmeichel became the worlds best with us, why cant Ben Foster?

Just give the lad a chance.

Archived