The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

the ultras thing amused me purely because a) their banner appeared to be the individual letters of 'toon ultras' printed out off a PC and stuck to the wall (as shown here), and b) because for supposed 'ultras', they just made no noise whatsoever. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can assure you, it's a banner. And if you want to see them, you'll have to come to a cup game when there aren't the normal s/t holders there.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Big Geordie:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

Ronnie did alright. clearly not as awesome as in other recent games, but he was still arguably our most dangerous forward. didn't help that newcastle clearly wanted to try and kick him out of the game, the crowd were getting on his back for having the temerity to be constantly fouled and the ref was offering nothing in the way of protection for him. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yup - clearly he was targeted by us for attention, but then again - some of the marking/tackling from your lot on the likes of Milner and Emre left a bit to be desired, IMO.

Ronaldo is a quality player - of that there is no doubt. We can hardly be expected to stand off and let him run the show ? For what it's worth, I thought Solano did well against him today, with Dyer tracking back to help out. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

obviously wasn't expecting you to let Ronnie have everything his own way, just felt the line was crossed a few times and the referee should have been on top of that more than he was. tbf it didn't help that he was getting dog's abuse from your lot every time he got fouled for supposedly diving. Solano did pretty well yeah, and i agree that Milner got a couple of dodgy tackles (not so sure about Emre, bar one Scholesy special).

while i'm here, something that was puzzling us - don't suppose you know who it was who was parading around the pitch at half-time and getting a rapturous welcome? we couldn't hear a word the announcer said all day up where we were, sounded vaguely like 'Lee' something, didn't look like Lee Clark, couldn't think of any other Lee's who'd be particularly popular on tyneside.

It was Phillipe Albert. A name you might recognise, per chance ? icon_wink.gif

We have a half-time hero every home game - normally it's an ex player who returns as guest of honour for the day, comes out onto the pitch to say hello and then does the half-time draw.

Oh - just before I head to bed - yup - Ronaldo did come in for some stick. All I'll say is though that if he didn't have a rep for diving, he wouldn't get half the grief he does. It's just disapppointing to see an undoubtedly class player hit the deck as often as he does. Not necessarily today - but has done in the past. There's no need when you have the technique and skill that he does.

true, but equally it's a shame to see someone continually tarred with that brush when he's made a very obvious effort to cut out the diving and when he's genuinely being fouled. would be nice if people (not just the newcastle fans ofc, and united fans are probably as guilty of this with other players/teams) judged players on merit rather than falling back on stereotypes.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Big Geordie:

It's also been good to have a natter about the match, and put aside the usual winding up aside for a bit.

Cheers. icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yep, very much so

You could cover almost everything negative that has been said about previous poor results this season, when talking about yesterdays game.......apart from the fact that we actually didn't look too bad defending set pieces. icon_redface.gif

Does anyone know why Ole or Rossi weren't on the bench yesterday? If they both were injured then fine, but if not then Fergie has shown once again that he is inept at choosing a subs bench that gives us plenty of options and that is one thing that is really frustrating me.

An away draw isn't such a bad thing, but when you miss chance after chance as we did yesterday then you have to be gutted that we didn't get the 3 points.

MOTM: Scholes

2nd: Nobody deserves it

Im assuming for Ole that there were too many games in a short space of time, and they dont want to put to much pressure on him?

And i reckon *not 100% sure* that Rossi's loan didn't finish today? Either that or he didn't have enough time to come and train back with us?

So yeh, both guesses and it didn't help one bit icon_biggrin.gif

It's also been good to have a natter about the match, and put aside the usual winding up aside for a bit.

Cheers. icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yep, very much so </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You must have been drunk. icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Using that prem predictor thing on the bbc, I have us winning the title with 96 points and them on 94. Results

Reading W

Newcastle W

Chelsea

Fulham W

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Predictions going well Mart?

Reading H – 3 3

newcastle A – 1 1

Villa H - 3

Arsenal A - 0

Watford H - 3

Spurs A - 1

Charlton H - 3

Fulham A - 3

Liverpool A - 0

Bolton H - 1

Blackburn H - 3

Portsmouth A - 1

Sheffield Utd H - 3

Chelsea A - 0

Boro H - 3

Everton A - 1

City A - 3

West Ham A - 3

Total 35 (50) – 85 85

CHELSEA

Fulham H – 3 1

Villa A - 3

Wigan H - 3

Liverpool A - 1

Blackburn H - 3

Charlton A - 3

Boro H - 3

Man City A - 3

Portsmouth A - 1

Shef U H - 3

Watford A - 3

Spurs H - 3

West Ham A - 1

Man Utd H - 3

Newcastle A - 1

Bolton H 3

Arsenal A - 0

Everton H 3

Total 43 (46) 89 87

getting close icon14.gif

should hang Park after that missed chance near the end tbqph </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tbf Ronaldo should have slotted home a chance as well, he let it stay up in mid air though and blazed well wide.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rage1999:

ok i was drinking in some pub behind the away end which ive forgot the name off, half united and half geordies and it looked like it was about to kick off just before we left. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Strawberry?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Neil Purvis:

The Strawberry's on the other side of the ground.

Might have been The Trent House. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Our minibus full ended up in teh Strawberry, was ok at first then some big lads from the back didnt like what was going on and the Munich songs started so we all left before something might of happened

There were a bunch of Man Utd fans in Weatherspoons signing songs and everything was ok until they started with anti-Newcastle / Shearer songs which wasn’t the smartest of moves in Newcastle city centre.

Luckily the place was pretty quiet but if it had been a normal Saturday game there would probably have been some bother.

Think the police kindly asked them to move on before there was any trouble.

I think we need to cut Park a bit of slack. While i quite agree with the assesments of him, to the point where i felt he should have been taken off again after about an hour (I didn't know Ole wasn't on the bench until after the game), i think we also need to remember that he's been out injured for 3-4 months. He's following the pattern that most players follow after an injury like that, a good game or two immediately on their return while they're playing on adrenaline, and then a bit of a slump until they get properly match fit.

The biggest worry was not Parks form, but once again the lack of options off the bench. Firstly, unless he was injured, i find it hard to believe Ole was so knackered he wouldn't have been up to 15-20 minutes off the bench.

Secondly, for all that some people have spoken about our strength being up to scratch, i thought yesterday just highlighted why it isn't. Apart from who comes in when we have injuries (and for all that we've won games with reserves playing, it's been when we've been able to pick and choose those games), we just seem to lack players who can come on and turn a game for us, or replace a player who is normally good enough but struggling.

Larsson will undoubtedly help, but with him leaving in March, i'm really concerned about the run in. 2 points dropped in january won't decide the title race, but 2 dropped in April just might if we're still in it at that point, and i find it hard to believe we'll bring in both him and another striker.

As Nick said, a pacy winger off the bench might have made all the difference yesterday, and on other days. While he mentioned Lennon, he seems completely out of reach. While the same may apply, i'd be tempted to make a move for SWP. While he's not in form at the minute, he's obviously a better player than he's showing, whatever Ratinho might think, and he'd fit far better into our style and system. I realise the chances are that Chelsea wouldn't sell to us, but i'd still be finding out. I could just imagine Kenyon being egotisitcal enough to think he'd be getting one over on us.

Finally, back to yesterdays game. While they were poor in posession, i think some credit needs to go to Newcastle. We were unable to sustain any rhythm for large parts of the game due to their harrying of us in midfield. Parker was the main exponent of that, but the surprising element was Sibierski dropping deep to catch Scholes several times, meaning in general play he had one of his least effective games for a while.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by deanb291186:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rage1999:

ok i was drinking in some pub behind the away end which ive forgot the name off, half united and half geordies and it looked like it was about to kick off just before we left. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Strawberry? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

was further down from there, like a small little pub, maybe not behind the away end like i imagined.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Neil Purvis:

The Strawberry's on the other side of the ground.

Might have been The Trent House. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

More likely The Black Bull, I reckon.

i'm with scatter and rat on the swp issue, don't like him at all. i know you were counting on my blessing mark, but sorry.

we could probably find another random pacy winger in spain/portugal if we look hard enough. get cracking.

hmm yeah... from his City days I'd have taken SWP but he really doesnt seem to have moved on at all. no doubt that's not helped by the fact he rarely plays.

anyway - that along with the fact we'd undoubtedly have to pay Chelsea LOADS means he's a No No.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

hmm yeah... from his City days I'd have taken SWP but he really doesnt seem to have moved on at all. no doubt that's not helped by the fact he rarely plays.

anyway - that along with the fact we'd undoubtedly have to pay Chelsea LOADS means he's a No No. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Obviously it would depend on the price, but his consistently excellent form with City says to me that he's a far better player than he's shown for Chelsea. As far as i'm concerned, his ability isn't in question. The gamble is whether his loss of form is simply down to an injury early on meaning he didn't get a run in the side, combined with not suiting the 4-3-3 or the diamond formations that Jose generally uses, or whether it's a temprement/pressure issue with being at a bigger club.

you say it depends on the price.. but theres really no doubt at all that Chelsea would squeeze every single penny they could out of us

we'd overpay a lot. and with us needing to overpay for Hargreaves more urgently at this moment in time.. that makes it a no.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scatter:

SWP basically a rich man's homo hair.

kick ahead... run fast... kick ahead... run fast... kick ahead... lose possession. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No-one deserves that comparison.

Right, match-going reds: I've decided that with my situation being as thoroughly mundane and lonely as it is I need football back in my life in a big way. One of my New Year's resolutions is therefore to sack off my principals and start going to Old Trafford again (cue inevitable criticism of either the original decision to boycott or me reneging on it). Anyway, just looking for a bit of advice re: tickets. One United members - what's your current success ratio of applications to actual tickets? With the new 'one year' season tickets taking up space, are there certain stands in teh ground where you're more / less likely to get tickets? Anyone ever go through touts on the match day, and if so, what prices are we looking at (away from your bigger games with Liverpool, Arsenal etc)? For that matter, what prices are we looking at in general under the Glazers? Does parking anywhere within a 5 mile radius of OT remain as much of a farce as it used to?

Thanks in advance icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

Obviously it would depend on the price, but his consistently excellent form with City says to me that he's a far better player than he's shown for Chelsea. As far as i'm concerned, his ability isn't in question. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Peter Griffin: Don't worry, I got it all worked out. We'll move to England, huh? Worst they got there is, you know, drive-by... arguments...

[Meanwhile, in England]

Englishman: I say, Jeremy, isn't that Reginald B. Stifworth, the young upstart chap who's been touting the merits of a united European commonwealth?

Jeremy: Why yes, I daresay it is.

Englishman: Oh, let's get him.

[They drive up]

Englishman: Oh Reginald... I disagree.

[drives off]

I can't see much else apart from that he can run mighty quick.

Archived