The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you assured us hargreaves was signing tbf, every bit as bad icon13.gif

couple of things about yesterday that i was too drunk to recall at the time:

* VDS - anyone else slightly concerned by how often he's beaten from distance, and how rarely he seems to pull of the sort of save you don't take for granted? ofc he's better than the parade of clowns we had post-schmikes, he's reliable and he rarely makes mistakes, just wondering if he lacks that something extra sometimes. i know it's been a view certain members of the press (gab marcotti in particular springs to mind) have had since his Juve days, and the struggle i had to think of a particular 'moment of the season' for him when doing the half-term report put the thought in my mind too. probably a bit harsh on him (the save from Sibierski yesterday was excellent and at a crucial point), something for people to mull over anyway

* Nev - clearly miles away from fitness yesterday, arguably at fault for both goals (stood off milner, let him cut inside and shoot for the first, and then missed a tackle to allow them to break for the second). and got forward nowhere near as much as you'd hope/expect. can't help thinking he needs this op sooner rather than later, and it seems daft to have brought him back when Wes was deputising so well. almost as if Fergie wanted to get one over on the journos reporting he was out for six weeks by bringing him back sooner than he should have.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Weststandred:

Question to the guys who went to Newcastle, I heard hardly any United players came over and clapped the fans, this true?

Not really a big deal but it still should be done. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

giggs did, nev did, vds did, scholes and rooney did from afar. others may have without me noticing, only one who definitely didn't was ronaldo who disappeared off down the tunnel like a shot. they certainly didn't shun us or anything like that. those who didn't probably didn't want to damage their necks trying to look up in our direction.

Not sure about VDS. In a way his authority and composure are his main strengths and I think he's never been a keeper who makes a lot of spectacular saves. I've thought it's because of his experience and positioning that he doesn't need to, but then again maybe his age is effecting his agility and reflexes.

Nev was pretty poor. Facing such an inexperienced player at left-back we really needed him to overlap and test Newcastle, probably in tandem with Ronaldo. Even though his crossing is dire, Wes would have been a much better option. Nev's no good to us carrying this injury. Better to have the Op and back to top form as soon as possible.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nucampe:

This kind of thing happen often? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We did have Djemba x2 back on the roster the other day if I remember correctly..

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> United must solve the strange case of Rooney's missing goals

Manchester United's captivating 2-2 draw at St James' Park was a match of roaring competitiveness. There was, however, a muted figure in the middle of the storm and his subdued performance was one key to the visitors' mysterious failure to win. The Sherlock Holmes story Silver Blaze popped into the mind. "The dog did nothing in the night-time," says the usual dullard of a Scotland Yard man. "That was the curious incident," replies the great detective witheringly.

Wayne Rooney may not have been as quiet as all that, but it is a credit to the leaders that they have been performing with such zest while the attacker has merely been pottering along. An extraordinary creative talent does not relieve him of a duty to score regularly, but it is one he has been unable to discharge this season. Each of Rooney's eight goals for United in the campaign has come in the Premiership but the bare statistic overstates his influence.

A pair on the opening afternoon of the programme merely converted a routine win over Fulham into a 5-1 rout. His hat-trick at Bolton inflicted a 4-0 drubbing of Sam Allardyce's team. Though he hit the opener in the 3-1 win over Manchester City last month, there has been just one occasion when his scoring contribution has demonstrably been indispensable. In November, his side were a goal down at Sheffield United and Arsenal, defeated there at the weekend, will confirm how trying a situation that can be. Rooney took two touches to equalise and was more economical still in volleying the winner.

The losers had to pay tribute to skill of that magnitude. "Rooney is the king," said Neil Warnock afterwards. Goals are far from being the only yardstick for the forward, but it is starting to be more of a concern than a novelty that he has not hit the net in a competitive fixture for England since Euro 2004. Steve McClaren's job security would have been utterly beyond dispute if Rooney had struck here and there in the European Championship qualifiers.

A prolific United might appear much less dependent on him, and on many occasions they are. There have been periods, though, when the team badly needed inspiration in either marksmanship or creativity, and Rooney could not muster it. Their prospects of securing a better draw in the Champions League last 16 were in question when 1-0 losses at Copenhagen and Celtic put them in danger of not topping their group.

United's two defeats to date in the Premiership have come by that identical margin. After they succumbed to West Ham, a former Premiership manager mused that Rooney might get called into Sir Alex Ferguson's office for a one-to-one rebuke. This sounded harsh since the player had not floundered conspicuously at Upton Park. None the less, the vigorous counter-argument insists there is major underachievement whenever someone of Rooney's gifts allows himself to be mundane.

Responsibility always comes in proportion to ability and, on that principle, the 21-year-old has a burden to shoulder. There are certain technical issues to be resolved within the United line-up. Rooney, Louis Saha and Paul Scholes all love to take up a position just outside the area and there have been matches in which the side would have benefited from having someone who yearns to be nearer the goal-posts. If picked, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer or Henrik Larsson should haunt the six-yard box more consistently.

Rooney never seemed to have a great rapport with Michael Owen, but the predator may have been pulling opponents away from the then-teenager who threatened to win Euro 2004 single-handed. All the same, technicalities and tactics do not explain why Rooney skewed a chance wide at a critical moment against Newcastle. A great prospect only becomes a great footballer if he can deal with adulthood. Rooney waved team-mates out of the way because he knew it was his destiny to convert a free-kick for a hat-trick on his United debut, but that brash and mesmerising intuitiveness gets eroded with time.

Although there are constant signs of potential greatness, Rooney has spells of looking laboured and burdened. Ferguson remains fortunate to have a person who should prove to be the finest English player of his generation, but a mature consistency is essential to the club's prospects. Even if no great harm was done at St James' Park on Monday, Rooney will have to show he can be a mercurial match-winner if United are to regain the Premiership title.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So, should he play through it or be dropped?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Louis Saha hopes to be back for United's league game against Aston Villa a week on Saturday. A scan showed that the striker's groin injury was not as serious as feared. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A piece from another article, good news.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

i ofc. love red nev as much as the next bloke, but do you think anyone would notice if we accidentally swapped him for ribery?

we could stick o'shea or wes in at rightback until bale comes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What replace Nev with a 17 year old left back? Or did you mean playing Gaby or Evra at right back?

Anyway went to bed instead of watching Chelsea last night as i thought they would walk it so waking up to being 6 points clear has really lifted my mood.

And looking at the F.A Cup, i hope Rossi is going to get half an hour or so. It seems daft to me that we are going to partner a 35 year old loan signing and a 33 year old when we have this highly promising 19 year old that can play the Cantona/Sheringham/Yorke/Rooney role and needs blooding sooner rather than later.

Although i get the feeling that Richardson and co will also start against Villa. icon_frown.gif

I watched Chelsea, they were good in the first half, without creating much more than a few shots from distance (though Drogba spurned a glorious chance). Second half Villa looked better and Chelsea just never looked like scoring. First time I'd seen Chelsea over 90mins since the Spurs game, expected them to do a bit more really.

Oh one other thing Taz, Boulahrouz did his medial knee ligaments.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

i ofc. love red nev as much as the next bloke, but do you think anyone would notice if we accidentally swapped him for ribery?

we could stick o'shea or wes in at rightback until bale comes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What replace Nev with a 17 year old left back? Or did you mean playing Gaby or Evra at right back? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, it's not like we've never played someone out of position before. Plus having Ribery'd be of more benefit than having Neville at this stage, and the scar gives us valuable street cred to help beat the likes of Chelsea and Real Madrid on the financial front icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

Oh one other thing Taz, Boulahrouz did his medial knee ligaments. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lucky twats, we would never be so lucky as to lose KR to an injury like that.

Watch Chelsea go and replace him with some £30m defender now.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

Oh one other thing Taz, Boulahrouz did his medial knee ligaments. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Watch Chelsea go and replace him with some £30m defender now. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jose said he'd rather play his 55 year old Assistant there than sign someone icon_biggrin.gif

But yeah, he surely has to bring someone in.

If you had to pick a 23 man squad from Man Utd players you had seen play in your lifetime who would be in it?

3 keepers, 8 defenders, 8 midfielders and 4 forwards.

Keepers: Peter Schmeichel, Edwin Van Der Sar, Raimond Van Der Gouw

Defenders: Gary Neville, Denis Irwin, Rio Ferdinand, Jaap Stam, Steve Bruce, Gary Pallister, Ronny Johnson, Mikael Silvestre

Midfielders: David Beckham, Andrei Kanchelskis, Roy Keane, Paul Ince, Bryan Robson, Paul Scholes, Ryan Giggs, Cristiano Ronaldo

Forwards: Eric Cantona, Andrew Cole, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, Ruud Van Nistelrooy

Silvestre only gets in because hes my favourite player despite the feck ups. Was a choice between him and henning Berg in the end.

Watch Chelsea go and replace him with some £30m defender now. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jose said he'd rather play his 55 year old Assistant there than sign someone icon_biggrin.gif

But yeah, he surely has to bring someone in. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He said he'd rather play his assistant than pay well over the odds for someone, which is not the same thing.

Keepers: Peter Schmeichel, Edwin Van Der Sar, Alex Stepney

Defenders: Gary Neville, Denis Irwin, Paul Parker, Jaap Stam, Steve Bruce, Gary Pallister, Paul McGrath, Arthur Albiston

Midfielders: Gordon Strachan, Norman Whiteside, Roy Keane, Paul Ince, Bryan Robson, Paul Scholes, David Beckham, Steve Coppell

Forwards: Eric Cantona, Dwight Yorke, Mark Hughes, Ruud Van Nistelrooy

I'm sure i'll see all the other lists and want to change it about 5 more times when i realise who i've forgotten.

Eddie's going to win this, because he gets to include Best, Law, Charlton and Duncan Edwards icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Carlos Queiroz, Sir Alex Ferguson's No2 at Manchester United, has floated the possibility that he may leave the club at the end of the season because of his desire to return to management in his own right.

Queiroz had a tumultuous spell at Real Madrid, which ended with the sack in 2004 after only a year, but he does not seem to have been put off, saying he may decide to leave United for "other projects". He said he was waiting for offers, but he made it clear he was not against the idea of continuing to work with Ferguson.

"My deal finishes in June and it will have been three years for me," he said. "Whether I stay after that depends on the decision of Alex and the owners [the Glazers]." Of an apparent desire to return to Portugal he added: "Initially I left for six months and now it has been 11 years. I have not received a spectacular offer to reject the opportunity of going back."

It is thought Queiroz, 53, may be trying to hurry United into making a new offer. They previously said they would offer him a new contract when his present deal was with 12 months of expiring. But the board seem to have developed cold feet because of the possibility that Ferguson, despite his recent declarations, will retire "at the top" if he wins the Premiership or Champions League this season.

Louis Saha hopes to be back for United's league game against Aston Villa a week on Saturday. A scan showed that the striker's groin injury was not as serious as feared.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ambrosesimon:

Times reporting David Jones sold to Derby... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd love to say its shocking news but it has been known for ages.

He was loaned to Derby until the transfer window opened where the transfer would become permanent.

Keepers: Schmeichel, Van Der Sar, Bailey

Defenders: G. Neville, P. Neville, Irwin, Stam, Bruce, Pallister, McGrath, Ferdinand

Midfielders: Strachan, Whiteside, Keane, Robson, Scholes, Beckham, Ronaldo, Giggs

Forwards: Cantona, Sheringham, Hughes, Solskjaer

Gill insists there is money available but is not expecting much of it to be spent until the summer months.

"The money is there but traditionally we do most of our big spending in the summer and I think that will continue," he told Manchester United Radio.

"Things may change; if there's an area in which we want to do something then we'll do it. But at the moment we don't plan to do a great deal.

"We've already brought in Henrik Larsson, while a number of the players who have been out on loan are also back at the club.

"I think we all know the area in which we want to strengthen," added Gill, seemingly in reference to Hargreaves. "But I'm not going to comment on that."

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scatter:

heh.. clever including five centre backs and only three full backs.

drop mcgrath and call in parker i guess... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I didn't bother balancing my squad to be honest. It was fortune that i had 4 full backs, and i've got no left winger.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scatter:

heh.. clever including five centre backs and only three full backs.

drop mcgrath and call in parker i guess... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I didn't bother balancing my squad to be honest. It was fortune that i had 4 full backs, and i've got no left winger. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hahahahahahahahahaha, only just noticed you didn't include Giggs icon_biggrin.gif

Just waiting for Richardson to come good, eh?

Archived