The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

Just browsing the FC site and they don't half sell alot of *****, I mean selling pictures of matchday ffs. What are the FC fans thoughts? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

as long as the funds are being re-invested in the club and/or their community projects (and i assume they are) then i don't see the problem?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> NATIONAL ANTHEM SPURS HEINZE

Gabriel Heinze has been made to feel right at home at Old Trafford because of the chants from the Manchester United supporters.

The 28-year-old Argentina international admits he has been driven on by the sounds of "Argentina, Argentina" coming down from the stands.

And the former Paris Saint Germain defender has been deeply affected by the chants.

"I would be lying if I told you I hadn't heard it," he said. "It is really kind of emotional for me.

"I would much rather the fans sing the name of my country than sing my name.

"If you are a bit tired and your hear that it gives you an extra bit of strength in your legs towards the end of the game."

Heinze says people back home have noted the accolade and that it has caused something of a stir.

"They show English games a lot in Argentina, so it has made a real big impression that United fans have been singing these songs, " he told the club's official magazine Inside United.

"People have sat up, particularly when you consider the history and relationship between England and Argentina."

Heinze, who has also played in Spain, Portugal and France, believes the Barclays Premiership is a highly demanding league.

He said: "There is much more physical contact here, so you need to be tougher.

"The game in England is a lot quicker, the pace and tempo of matches a lot faster than other countries. You have less time on the ball before someone comes to tackle you.

"But the football is very dynamic. It is fast and furious."

Heinze continued: "I prefer to defend against someone who is strong because you have one or two ways to deal with them.

"If somebody is really quick, there is less you can do. If they get past you, you just say 'adios'."

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Argentina > England banner on the Stretty next imo.

Mascherano obviously hasn't settled in english football. While in most situations i'm all for long term over short term, is there not the danger that signing a player who is going to need time to settle, but obviously isn't happy on the bench, will do too much harm to the title bid this year?

And that's without even considering the problemsover his ownership that have already been mentioned.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scatter:

stfu the both of joo.

mascherano >>>>>>>>>>>>> * </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Shouldn't you be off crowing somewhere? Stick to sports aussies know something about icon_razz.gif

The wrong signing now could be worse than no signings at all in terms of this season. For all that it could mean missing out on a potentially great player, i think it would be the wrong time to sign him.

in all seriousness, i have been absolutely stunned at how things have gone for him at west ham. but i really think it's more a case of wrong player at the wrong club than anything else. just how the hell hayden ****ing mullins gets picked ahead of him i'll never know.

he can't move in january anyway, so if we don't get hargreaves during this window, i'd be lining up the masher for the next.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scatter:

in all seriousness, i have been absolutely stunned at how things have gone for him at west ham. but i really think it's more a case of wrong player at the wrong club than anything else. just how the hell hayden ****ing mullins gets picked ahead of him i'll never know.

he can't move in january anyway, so if we don't get hargreaves during this window, i'd be lining up the masher for the next. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What is that rule again? Is it simply that you can't play for 3 clubs in any 12 month period?

Interestingly, it's not completely out of the question for him to move in January

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">But under Fifa rules Mascherano is not able to play for another club until the end of June.

Fifa rules state that one footballer cannot play for more than two clubs between 1 July and the end of the following June - and Mascherano has already turned out for Brazilian side Corinthians and West Ham since last summer.

However, national associations are able to apply to Fifa for a dispensation - potentially opening the way for Mascherano to end his frustrating stay at Upton Park.

Italian side Juventus reportedly pulled out of a move to sign Mascherano citing the complications with the player's contract.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yet more Hargreaves news, but don't miss the extra titbit in the last paragraph.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Manchester United are preparing to test Bayern Munich's resolve with a first official bid for Owen Hargreaves, thought to be in the region of £17m, but the Premiership leaders will not be getting involved in any other transfers until the summer.

Sir Alex Ferguson has already stated he is only "looking at one thing" and yesterday it was the chief executive David Gill's turn to play down suggestions that the club may seek to strengthen other areas. United have already added Henrik Larsson to their playing staff, albeit on a seven-week loan arrangement with Helsingborgs, and Gill said that it is unlikely they would bring in anyone else.

"The money is there but traditionally we do most of our big spending in the summer and I think that will continue," he said. "Things may change. If there's an area in which we want to do something then we'll do it. But we don't plan to do a great deal. We've brought in Larsson, while a number of the players who have been out on loan are back."

United's priority is Hargreaves and they have been increasingly encouraged by some of the noises coming out of Munich. The Bundesliga champions do not want to lose one of their key players but they are aware that there are pitfalls in keeping a player who is keen to leave. Hargreaves, close to fitness after recovering from a broken leg, has made that clear he wants to leave, even being fined on one occasion, and United believe they have a 50-50 chance. "I think we all know the area in which we want to strengthen," Gill said. "But I'm not going to comment on that."

Looking further ahead, United have been alerted to the news that Marseille are willing to sell the France international Franck Ribery for around £17m.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Giggs, Ronnie, Richardson, Park, Rooney, Solskjaer. All people who can play on the wing. Don't need another player like that.

You need a Centre Midfielder and possibly a forward, Larsson leaves as the title race hots up, Saha cripples himself again and you're in big trouble.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

Ribery, we wont even bid for Hargreaves. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Seems pretty obvious from the "looking further ahead" part that they're suggesting the summer for that one, were it to happen.

Bayern are not going to let Hargreaves go unless it's a ridiculous amount because they still need him for the champions league.

Nobody at United will sanction a huge amount because he wouldn't even be eligible for the champions league and Glazer will say "well you're top of the league without him"

Definitely not before Summer

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

Yep when Larsson goes and if Saha gets injured we will be left with Rossi, Rooney, Solskjaer and hopefully a fit Smith.

And of all those wingers listed you fail to say that Giggs is old, Park mediocre, Richardson crap, ole and Rooney forwards so that leaves Ronaldo. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Also, if you were going to apply the same logic in reverse, you could say that up front we could play Rooney, Saha, Ole, Smith, Rossi, Giggs, Ronaldo or Scholes.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Terry Cheung:

Bayern are not going to let Hargreaves go unless it's a ridiculous amount because they still need him for the champions league.

Nobody at United will sanction a huge amount because he wouldn't even be eligible for the champions league and Glazer will say "well you're top of the league without him"

Definitely not before Summer </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The only thing that makes me doubt that is the fact that Hargreaves wants to leave. The value (and i'm talking in terms of performances rather than cash) of any player to a club drops the minute they want to be somewhere else, so Bayern may resign themselves to the fact that on the pitch a replacement bought with money from the sale of Hargreaves may be a better bet for their title race than hanging on to him.

However, that is basically me quibbling with the word 'definitely', rather than going so far as to think you're wrong.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Terry Cheung:

Larsson will allow Rooney, Saha and Solsjkaer to rotate and get some rest so that when he goes they are still relatively fresh. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's fine as far as it goes, but any injury to a forward from March onwards could be a title decider, unless Rossi or Smith can step up by then.

I dont see why Rossi cant step in and get his fair share of action now. I dont see why we are looking at a 33 year old who for the great finisher he is isnt as good as what he was pre injury and a 35 year old loan signing who we dont know can cut it in the prem at his age when we have a young kid who has looked good whenever he has stepped in before and is the future of the club.

I dont see why Rossi cant step in and get his fair share of action now. I dont see why we are looking at a 33 year old who for the great finisher he is isnt as good as what he was pre injury and a 35 year old loan signing who we dont know can cut it in the prem at his age when we have a young kid who has looked good whenever he has stepped in before and is the future of the club. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Because he's almost completely untried in competitive football. Reserve football is simply not enough of a test to judge peoples premiership ability on, and neither are FA cup games against the like of Burton Albion, however good the performance.

For all his potential, we are not at the stage where we can throw kids in and hope they're up to it. And we're talking about a player who for whatever reason couldn't break into an injury hit newcastle team desperate for goals. Now you can't judge him on Roeders assesment of him, but you also can't pretend it would be anything other than a gamble to be relying on him in vital games at the sharp end of the title race until he's actually proved he can do it at the top level.

really cant see us signing anyone else this transfer window.

Unless some shock foobr he certainly wont be signing esque transfer for monseiur evra.

Hargreaves he isnt fit yet, i dont see the point in signing a player who has just come back from a broken leg albeit not as bad as smudges. Not sure tbf.

also ribery wont sign for us, that has wenger written all over that, or wouldnt be surprised to see him at madrid, capello plays with wingers?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

i'd probably throw myself out of a car window if arsenal signed ribery tbf </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I see what you did there.

With the Newcastle loan move i think it was quite clear Roeder never had any intention to play Rossi and only brought him in as back up.

Then when Rossi did play he played in a team full of injury problems that played the long ball or he was stuck out on the wing.

And while i dont use Reserve football as a big judge of anything other than the fact Rossi is way too good for it his performances for us against the likes of West Brom and Birmingham in the league cup when they were prem teams and fielded good sides as well as his prem start against Charlton fill me with hope.

Nobody is expecting rossi to start against Chelsea or anyone but i think he is more than capable of starting cup games or against lower sides in the division. People keep banging on about experience but fail to see there is only one way to gain that experience and that is play games.

At the very least he should be getting his fair share of minutes from the bench.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Nobody is expecting rossi to start against Chelsea or anyone but i think he is more than capable of starting cup games or against lower sides in the division. People keep banging on about experience but fail to see there is only one way to gain that experience and that is play games.

At the very least he should be getting his fair share of minutes from the bench. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No problem with any of that, but your question was why we are looking to Solskjaer and Larrson ahead of him, which is different. He may be able to move himself up the pecking order, but he's not there yet.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

Any pecking order and who, therefore appears on the bench for a particular game surely depends on their being room left when all of the potential left backs have been included? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They're usually on the pitch already.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

Just browsing the FC site and they don't half sell alot of *****, I mean selling pictures of matchday ffs. What are the FC fans thoughts? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cant say Im delighted about it, but at least all profits are ploughed back into the club, all merchandise made basically comes from requests, so most of the tat is down to the idiots among the support who want an FC Utd football/mug/mousemat etc. not like your forced to buy it though and dont think its near the stage of a Rhodri Giggs bedspread yet icon_biggrin.gif

As long as it goes back into the club like you say, wasn't trying to **** stir.

MADRID, Jan 4, 2007 (AFP) - Spanish giants Real Madrid have made

a bid for on-fire Manchester United winger Cristiano Ronaldo, a

Spanish newspaper reported here Thursday.

Real, without silverware for four years, have bid 40 million

euros for the 21-year-old Portugual international in an effort to

sign him in the January transfer window, the Madrid-based ABC daily

said.

But the English Premiership leaders have no intention of letting

go of the in-form Ronaldo, who scored three consecutive doubles for

his club over the holiday period, and have slapped a price tag of 70

million euros on him, ABC said.

It was not possible to confirm the report at Real Madrid.

Archived