The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

Yeah i've been hoping Giggs, Scholes and Ole make the 150 goal mark for the club. Thats why i have their club goals in my location.

13 for Giggs, 15 for Scholes and 27 for Ole can be done if they all stay for another coupld of seasons.

And as it is i think all are 10 or less to go for 100 Prem goals.

Scholes 93, Giggs 92 and Ole 90 according to stretfordend.co.uk.

I'm backing Scholes to be our first player to hit 100 Prem goals.

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmm, whilst fergie is slowly going senile he hasn't lost all his mental capacity yet:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Ferguson tips Scholes for award

Paul Scholes

Scholes has been in sparkling form in Man Utd's midfield

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson believes midfielder Paul Scholes is an early contender for the Footballer of the Year award.

Blurred vision forced the 32-year-old to miss much of last season but he has returned to top form and is set to face Aston Villa in the FA Cup on Sunday.

"He's scored five goals this season and that is up with the best of them in the country in that role," said Ferguson.

"His football brain and the football he produces at times is marvellous."

Ferguson added: "It would be great for him to be rewarded."

The Old Trafford boss has hinted he will make two new signings in the transfer window but insists he is pleased with his current squad.

"I am happy with what I have, " confirmed Ferguson, who has been linked with England and Bayern Munich midfielder Owen Hargreaves.

"The players are improving. They are good professionals and train well. You expect to see an improvement when they are at a young age.

"We have lot of cover as well, if you look at our back four positions. I am OK there and we have reasonable cover in midfield.

"Up front, we have brought in Henrik Larsson and that is a bonus. Then there is Ole Gunnar Solskjaer. He will get 15 goals for us this season if he stays fit." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Also would be awesome if Scholes, Giggs and Ole can all reach the 100 goals in the premiership mark. Pretty exclusive club at the moment with 10/11 people in it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ericcantona7:

there's not point in us signing Parker, esp if we're getting Hargreaves. At least not until Scholes retires. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why not? Competition for players for the first time in years would be nice.

because it stops the likes of Fletcher developing, he could be a much better player than Parker imo, but he needs games to get there. If he's got Carrick, Scholes, Hargreaves and Parker ahead of him he won't play. Not too mention that only two of them can play, but all 4 would expect first team football, we'd either end up changing the formation like Chelsea to suit them, or at least one of them would be very unhappy on the bench. The competition is best when it is coming from decent youngsters like Fletch, Pique, Rossi etc, rather than £15m signings who would want to leave for their England careers.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

Diogo challenges Fabiano and the ball goes out of play and Fabiano knows the game is lost so he tries to head butt Diogo and then walks away. Diogo then says something to him and as Fabiano turns around Diogo punches him in the face and then both start windmilling in at each other and throw a good 5 or 6 punches each before other players arrive on the scene and try and split it up. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just seen it on SSN, windmilling just the perfect description of it, I thought that they were going to take off icon_biggrin.gif

Thank god we are through to the next round.

The Larsson goal was written before the match started and then it had to be Ole come on and rescue us.

Wasnt the best performance, we never got going really and then after scoring the first just stopped altogether. We need to go back to the days of blowing teams away easrly on and then walking.

Can we please drop Rooney, he needs a rest.

And Larsson suprised me with how fast and sharp he was, i didnt think hed still have that kind of speed at his age.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Ole praise for Saha

Manchester United's comeback kid Ole Gunnar Solskjaer does not believe he would have been able to return to his best without Louis Saha.

The Norwegian hit-man virtually missed three years of action for The Red Devils due to a succession of long-term injuries.

However, the 33-year-old striker is now back to his best this term and believes French colleague Saha had a big role to play in his 'miracle' recovery.

"I could not have come through everything without the aid of Louis," Solskjaer told the News of the World.

"He is my idol and I have to think him for helping with the miracle that is me playing again.

"I wasn't sure if I'd get back to the player I was but I looked up to Louis and how he recovered from his own injuries.

"I think he will finish above everyone as top scorer in the Premiership this season. He is a magnificent athlete." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fergie believes in squad

Sir Alex Ferguson has the belief his Manchester United squad can last the distance in the race for the Premiership.

United have established a six-point lead over reigning champions Chelsea after Ferguson rotated his squad over the holiday period.

Ferguson was delighted with how his fringe players responded to the challenge and feels it bodes well for the rest of the season.

"There's been a couple of tests for us and it's been unlike last season," Ferguson is quoted in the Daily Star Sunday.

"When we played Wigan and Everton we made five or six changes and we won those games comfortably.

"That's a good test. But the other thing which is vital is that these players are getting older, so they must be improving.

"They're good professionals and are training well. When they get the chance we hope they take it, which they did against Wigan and Everton.

"If you look at our back four we have got Wes Brown, Mikael Silvestre, Gaby Heinze and Patrice Evra. Very experienced, capable defenders competing at left-back.

"I can play Wes at right-back or in the centre and I can play Mikael there, so the back four's okay.

"In midfield we have got reasonable cover with Darren Fletcher and John O'Shea.

"Then up front there's Henrik Larsson, Ole Solskjaer and Wayne Rooney, Cristiano Ronaldo, Louis Saha and Ryan Giggs.

"I believe in this squad. I'm happy with what I've got." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I love that icon_biggrin.gif

Fergie praise for strike pair

Sir Alex Ferguson praised veteran Scandinavian duo Henrik Larsson and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer for taking Manchester United into the fourth round of the FA Cup.

Larsson marked his debut for the club by scoring the opening goal in Sunday's 2-1 success over Aston Villa at Old Trafford.

After Milan Baros equalised, substitute Solskjaer scored an injury-time winner after Gabor Kiraly let the Norwegian's shot slip through his grasp.

Ferguson was keen to assess Larsson's fitness on his bow and was delighted with the response from the Swedish loan signing.

"We had to find out about his fitness and sharpness," Ferguson told Sky Sports News. "He has been looking terrific in training, so I had no fears about that.

"I did want to find about him, and I have found out about him, so I'm very, very pleased.

"He's so quick and bright round about the last third of the field and he could have scored three or four goals.

"The goal he scored was a typical Henrik Larsson goal - no drawback and just guided into the goal."

Solskjaer has now scored nine goals this season and Ferguson admits the stalwart's tally was more than anyone had expected.

Ferguson added: "He's amazing. I didn't see that goal because somebody blocked my view, but I believe it went under the goalkeeper's body, so it may be a bit fortunate.

"When he gets in these positions, you do expect him to hit the target and he has a tremendous rate of shots going on target.

"Nine goals is phenomenal. I don't think anyone at our club would have expected Ole to score so many goals at this time of the year." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

And Larsson suprised me with how fast and sharp he was, i didnt think hed still have that kind of speed at his age. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He's a medical miracle tbh. Two serious leg breaks, 35 years old, and still as sharp as ever.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Boss: I couldn't see us winning

Sir Alex Ferguson was already making plans for an FA Cup third round replay at Villa Park before Ole Gunnar Solskjaer fired a dramatic injury time winner against Aston Villa on Sunday.

The Reds had earlier taken the lead through loan signing Henrik Larsson who opened his account for United ten minutes after half-time with an excellent finish.

Sir Alex was convinced the Reds would face a trip to the Midlands after Milan Baros had drawn the visitors level 16 minutes from time, but was instead delighted to be celebrating the victory after Solskjaer's late strike.

"We've done that [scored a late winner] many times in the past but that was a near one today," he told MUTV. "I couldn't see us winning after their equaliser because they were fighting so hard.

"We made a host of great chances but when you're not taking them you never know if you're going to another one.

"Some of the football we played was absolutely fantastic and I think we deserved to go through. But you've got to feel for Villa because they gave us a real test and worked very hard.

"I didn't see the winning goal because someone had blocked my view but I hear that the ball slid under the goalkeeper's body," added the Reds' boss.

"But that's football. The one thing you always know is that when Ole Solskjaer's on the field you've always got a chance of scoring. That was his nineth of the season which is fanastic."

Sir Alex was also full of praise for United's Swedish striker who sent Old Trafford wild with his first goal for the club.

"It was a typical Larsson strike," declared Sir Alex. "Henrik proved what great fitness and sharpness he had and he could have scored two or three in the end.

"His movement and judgement of when to make runs was excellent and I thought that was the key part of hisperformance.

"He has scored important goals throughout his career and I think he'll do the same for us. I always said that about Eric Cantona - whenever he scored, they always seemed to be important goals and I expect Henrik will score some important ones for us too." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Larsson elated by debut goal

Henrik Larsson was predictably delighted to have scored on his United debut as the Reds knocked Aston Villa out of the FA Cup.

The Swede turned in an outstanding 75-minute display, capped with a superb opening goal at the start of the second half.

After the game he told MUTV: "To make my debut, score a goal and win the game as well with a great goal from Ole, I'm very happy at the moment.

"I was happy to see it go in because I had a few chances in the first half which perhaps I could have done a little bit better with.

"But that's the way it is as a striker; some days everything goes in, some days a little less. But I was pleased to see that goal go in."

The veteran striker, on loan for 10 weeks from Helsingborgs, admitted making his bow in front of a packed Old Trafford was a special occasion.

"You expect a lot," he said. "But when you're running out and you see all the stands full it's fantastic.

"That's what you want to play football in, and in front of as many people as possible. Here there was over 70,000 and it was fantastic."

Despite his outstanding display, Larsson was keen to maintain modesty and pay tribute to his new team-mates.

He said: "I always say it's easy to play with good players, and the whole team is full of good players, so it's fantastic and it's nice to have this one out of the way now so we can focus on the next game."

The Swede played down injury fears over his second half substitution, and hopes to improve his match fitness over the coming weeks.

"It was a high tempo game and something you have to get used to," he conceded."But I've been training a little bit more with the lads and that's going to help me.

"My leg was just cramping up a little bit when I was running down the channel, so I thought it was better to get some fresh legs out there." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

Jesus, stand up and support your team, worst song ever. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Who sang that? didnt hear villa fans sing that, they sang something about support your local club.

Anyway neither team deserved to win in my opinion and it looked like a nailed on draw until Ole did what noone else is capable of comes off the bench and rescues us.

Henke looked a class apart although he wasnt helped at all by a Rooney that is in clear need of a rest, honestly if Ole was fit enough why didnt Ferguson rest Rooney and play Ole in the first place? Ah well at least we through, Blackburn or Bolton away in next round please.

MoM: Henke

2nd: Evra

Henke was ****ing awesome today, such awesome movement and brightness. If today is anything to go by fergie will have made signing of the season with out a doubt. Also how good was carricks ball over the top to set henrik in one on one, shouldve scored tho.

Rooney played well but so just needs a goal, although we said that against man city and he got one and didnt really take off. Thought Ronaldo was good again today although a bit slow in decision in the final third at times.

Evra was brilliant too, fast becoming one of my favourite players, so strong in the tackle and has great dribbling ability and a quick mind in the attackers third. Has to have the left back position nailed down imo.

AFFG, would have to say rio for playing him onside, but West i think was guilty of ball watching and got sucked in. Any news on Vidic btw? is he injured or..?

How was the cheesecake?

"stand up and support your team" x3 in the first half. icon13.gif

Notts Forest/Sheff Weds/Derby (A) - would be good draws in the next round, for grounds United haven't been to in a while and big allocations.

Man City/Blackburn/Bolton/Wigan (A) - for large allocations and hardly any expense for travel.

Villa fans were good today, probably louder than the famous celtic support, well played. icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by atvkwkad:

Our away support is very decent and has been for a few years now, though there's still always the "omg we're at Old Trafford lets all sing about them not being from Manchester lol" chants which I heard bits of today. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There were **** loads of them being sung today, thats all you guys sang about tbh.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Francis Cole:

So when do we get to see Dong Fangzhuo?

Have you actually properly recalled him yet? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

he's in manchester but he's got a back injury atm

Archived