The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

While i love loads of Man Utd players i only have one favourite player at a time and they stay the favourite until they leave.

Andrei Kanchelskis, my kind of winger. Probably why i like Ronaldo so much now is he reminds me of Kanchelskis bombing down the wing at speed. Kanchelskis must have been able to run the length of the field in about 3 seconds flat.

Anyone remember that game for the Amiga amongst other consoles, 'Man Utd: The Double' iirc, where you got to manage the team but play the games as well with the double winning sides. I always used to make Kanchelskis top scorer with some great runs.

Andy Cole. I dont have a clue why i picked him tbh but i did and i thought he was great for the club. Fast, scored goals and all types of goals at that. The chip from the edge of the box that goes in off the bar against Coventry maybe my fave Cole goal.

Mikael Silvestre. The only man whos name i ever had put on a shirt. I like him so much because he can play centre back or left back like myself, has a bit of pace and when he first came i thought he was very good. And moments of madness like sticking the nutt of Ljunberg only made me love him all the more.

When Sil goes its going to be a hard choice with Ronnie, Vida, Rossi, Scholesy, Ole and co.

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Silvestre love from me probably stems from his bombing down the left hand side in 00-03, he was awesome at that. Plus for a good few years he was very good indeed, just seems to have gone backwards in the last 2/3 seasons for no reason at all.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

Nick/Taz etc seem to think that Simpson is the future for DR, but then Nick thought that Jones would be the new Keane so who knows. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not so much i think hes the future as in he will defo replace Nev but its that i think of the youngsters coming through that can play right back he is the best.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

The funny thing with Cole is that when I look back at season review videos I'm always surprised at the quality of his goals.

There's just something about him that I didn't really like, just didn't take to him. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I really liked him because after his initial scoring burst (including the 5 against Fulham) he really struggled. I remember him being taken off int he 96 Cup Final and replaced with Scholesy.

I really wanted him to come good which he finally did and when he was finally settled his all round play and goals really improved. A hat-trick against Feyenoord was particularly brilliant.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The kid just needs some time off and i dont see why Fergie cant see this. Saha has a good chance of being back for our next game so hopefully we rest him then. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

According to the TV commentary yesterday, he was offered 10 days off, but said he'd rather train and play. If that is the case, while Rooney's attitude is commendable i think Fergie has missed a trick by asking him rather than telling him. I don't mind him trusting the veterans opinion on managing their bodies, but with a young player like Rooney i think it should be far more the managers decision than the players.

I find it utterly hilarious that there are serious people on RI wanting rid of Rooney saying "worst striker we've ever signed". If his workrate and team play was abortionate then I'd understand why people are fuming with him.

Rooney is never going to get 20-30 goals a season, we know that, Saha is our main target man, as long as Rooney is playing as he is then for me I've not got a problem with him, he'll score, it's just a matter of time.

Wish people would have more faith icon_frown.gif

Even I don't think he should be sold icon_biggrin.gif

Something needs to happen though, he's having a mare this season.

First he hasn't played enough and he's not fit, now he needs a rest, without producing his best in the middle of it, despite his workrate it has to be a concern.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

I find it utterly hilarious that there are serious people on RI wanting rid of Rooney saying "worst striker we've ever signed". If his workrate and team play was abortionate then I'd understand why people are fuming with him.

Rooney is never going to get 20-30 goals a season, we know that, Saha is our main target man, as long as Rooney is playing as he is then for me I've not got a problem with him, he'll score, it's just a matter of time.

Wish people would have more faith icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He got 16 league goals last season, he certainly should be aiming for and achieving 20ish.

As for having faith, while i've no doubt of his ability, in the short term you can't just keep saying "he'll be alright" when his form and finishing are at their current level, because it's affecting the team.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

He got 2 assists yesterday ffs.

Fulham ****ing sold out, what a waste of ****ing time that was. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good grief Mart, i thought you knew better than to use a ******** stat like assists to judge how a players performing.

On the same level, people are judging him because he isn't scoring. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Goals and assists are not "on the same level". And they're judging him because of the number of chances he's missing, and because his all round play is not anywhere near his best at the minute.

On the same level, people are judging him because he isn't scoring. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He's a striker so goals are a pretty big factor in how he will be judged, and so they should be.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Rooney finds perfect foil in guile of United's newcomer

David Pleat

Evening all, is this really the same Henrik Larsson I saw in Detroit in the 1994 World Cup? I remember doing commentary on a match against Brazil where the Swede, with his long hair, was playing outside-right. He didn't look a player. My scouting report then would have said that he was not one to continue watching. It was a very hot day, terribly stifling, but he was average.

He was with Feyenoord at the time but since signing for Celtic success has followed him. He is obviously dedicated and I think he will prove a shrewd signing for Sir Alex Ferguson at Manchester United. Yesterday was an impressive start. His positioning was good, his fitness was good and his finishing was average - he missed one and scored one.

He was paired with the fiery, skilful Wayne Rooney and from the first whistle they played in tandem. Larsson, the more forward, always made himself available for the longer diagonal pass from deep, pulling away from the ball, while Rooney offered himself for the shorter pass from his full-backs or the precise Michael Carrick. Working and passing together and trying to drag Gary Cahill into midfield areas, their combination play was good and it forced Wilfred Bouma, the Aston Villa full-back, to concentrate more on offering cover than moving forward.

Carrick, Cristiano Ronaldo, Rooney and then Larsson - a sharp one-touch interpassing movement led to the first goal stabbed past Gabor Kiraly - Larsson's moment.

Initially Martin O'Neill, with limited forward options, used a canny containing and counter-attacking 4-2-3-1 system. With two holding players - the grafting Gavin McCann and the emerging Isaiah Osbourne - the support for Juan Pablo Angel was left to Gabriel Agbonlahor, Stilian Petrov and the jack of all trades Gareth Barry. Seconds after the goal Milan Baros entered for Angel and Jlloyd Samuel soon came on for Petrov, with McCann pushed wider and Agbonlahor joining Baros in attack.

It did not always work. Ryan Giggs, relishing his central, scheming role, began to enjoy the ball and it was more comfortable as Villa left more midfield room. Rooney and Larsson retained their great appetite to receive. The Swede's intelligence of movement - short, economical darts - made him the perfect foil for Rooney. After two-thirds of the game United had had more than 20 efforts at goal, Villa a meagre four.

But Villa got a break. Baros steered wide of Tomasz Kuszczak after a brave Bouma header, a flick-on by Osbourne and a miskick by Barry. Villa had survived two goalline clearances and a draw looked likely.

Larsson left to warm applause with 12 minutes left. His replacement, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, similarly knew when and where to run. But Rooney - one touch too many, a bobble, an over-dribble - found no reward for his prodigious work rate. Cahill and Liam Ridgewell stuck to their defensive duties, but their afternoon finished sadly. Solskjaer landed the win, allowing two Scandinavians - a Norwegian and a Swede - to smile at the end.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The main stat for me is hes found the net in 4 of 27 games played this season. While goals arent the most important thing with a player like Rooney that stat is a bit worry and when you couple it with his overall play being crap its time to drop him.

I remember people going crazy when Ronaldo used to always pick the wrong option but look at Rooney now and its the same. Most of the time hes holding onto it when he should be passing and chosing the wrong pass if the pass does actually get to its man or even just shooting and getting closer to the third tier than the goal.

Henrik Larsson could stay at Manchester United until the end of the season, the player's Swedish club revealed on Monday.

Larsson, who scored on his United debut in Sunday's 2-1 FA Cup win over Aston Villa, joined from Helsingborgs initially on a short-term deal until March.

The club's chairman Sten-Inge Fredin has revealed the Scandinavians would allow Larsson to remain at United for the rest of the season if all parties are in agreement.

"It's up to Henrik," said Fredin. "If he wants to stay then we'll open that discussion with United. We will not stand in his way."

Fredin confirmed to Sky Sports News that there have not been any discussions with United as of yet.

"There have not been any discussions with United and 12 March is the date he will be back at the moment," said Fredin.

"If United want to keep him then it is up to Henrik in the first instance and then we have to sit down and see if we can find a solution with the clubs."

Despite an impressive debut, Larsson is refusing to look too far into the future.

"It is all ifs and I am just taking it one match at a time at the moment," said Larsson.

Larsson's contribution, though, has already led Sir Alex Ferguson to draw comparisons with Old Trafford great Eric Cantona.

"Henrik has always scored goals and some of them have been crucial," said Sir Alex Ferguson.

"Eric Cantona was like that here as well. Henrik could have scored two or three goals and his movement was terrific.

"The goal summed him up perfectly - there was no drawback for the shot."

---

\o/

Only just noticed actually, why does Nev still have the G on his shirt? icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

because Phil will be back one day of course

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

I remember people going crazy when Ronaldo used to always pick the wrong option but look at Rooney now and its the same. Most of the time hes holding onto it when he should be passing and chosing the wrong pass if the pass does actually get to its man or even just shooting and getting closer to the third tier than the goal. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rooney is instinctively unselfish though. More often than not he will look to pass even if he might be in a good position to shoot.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">David Pleat

a flick-on by Osbourne and a miskick by Barry. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Evening, Pleat-o. I know you have difficulties with names, but confusing the name 'Cahill' with 'Barry' is quite a stretch, as is interpreting Osbourne's bungle as a actual 'flick-on'.

Shamelessly dragging the Thread back a few posts, my favouritest ever United player was and is Robson. Even though he was like 33 when I started watching United, I just worshiped him. Cantona the only one to have come close. Others include Jaap (so gutted when he was sold), Scholes, Beckham (although less gutted when he was sold), and, erm, Juan Veron, John O'Shea and Neil Webb. Mostly midfielders, mostly good. All better than Silvestre.

Oh, I forgot about the Carrick/O'Shea sub. Was basically thinking 'bloody hell, that's probably the most useless tactical decision in the history of the game and for some reason we continue to... ole! well, that's swell.'

Evra has been great all season tbf. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, i'd say more consistent and very really had a bad game but i thought he was simply awesome yesterday.Never seen him play like that or maybe i havent really paid attention to him that much.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

Oh, I forgot about the Carrick/O'Shea sub. Was basically thinking 'bloody hell, that's probably the most useless tactical decision in the history of the game and for some reason we continue to... ole! well, that's swell.' </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly icon_biggrin.gif

Archived