The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

I'll pay every single person who's posted in this thread £100 if we win the treble.

What an incredibly daft thing for Fergie to say. I thought he was a bloke with perspective - remember how he dealt with Wenger's 'we'll go unbeaten' comments in 02-03? I think his response was 'football has a way of coming back to smack you in the face' or something similar. And yet now he's entertaining talk of an impossible treble. Stick to the league, eh?

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

dunno if this has already been posted but

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">"If he wins I shall congratulate him because I am a good sport. But when we talk about the best player of 2006/07 I sincerely believe that I am a good option.

"My objective is to score more goals to help United and not to enter into a war with Drogba. That would be madness - I always search for success for the team.

"And I warn you that I do desire to win many, many competitions. I repeat: 2007 is going to be my big year.

"First I want to win titles with United and after that personal gratitude from Europe and the world." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

cr icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

I'll pay every single person who's posted in this thread £100 if we win the treble.

What an incredibly daft thing for Fergie to say. I thought he was a bloke with perspective - remember how he dealt with Wenger's 'we'll go unbeaten' comments in 02-03? I think his response was 'football has a way of coming back to smack you in the face' or something similar. And yet now he's entertaining talk of an impossible treble. Stick to the league, eh? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So basically we're winning the treble next year? icon_cool.gif

I agree with ACou on Carrick too, a few times as Taz coined he did the Fletch hugging tackle and ultimately lost out. Other parts of his game were qg though.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

re: the atmosphere.

would singing sections in all four stands work in your opinion and how best could/should they be implemented? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Singing sections, implemented with the assistance/cooperation of the club seems more viable than any fan attempts to somehow coordinate a mass gathering of singing supporters in a particular area of each stand by themselves and more likely as a means of successfully creating an atmosphere than, I don't know, creating and distributing a United fans hymn sheet of sorts.

I guess it would require the club to (and here's a big problem - expecting them to effectively implement anything like this) survey season ticket holders for next season and see how many of them would prefer to be grouped with more vocal supporters in their stand of choice. This would then allow the club to designate a particular block(s) of seats in each tier in each stand in which to group those supporters who want this as part of their OT experience. If this sample experience proved successful next season it could be continually expanded upon based on interest.

I would assume that there is a lack of neccessity for this in the Stretty, or perhaps it would just be easier to implement on a broader scale.

Anyway the hope would be that concentrated noise from one group of supporters would effectively/hopefully create a ripple effect and encourage noise from the rest of the ground.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

treble talk icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fergie has a touch of the Martitis aka giddiness.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

treble talk icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fergie has a touch of the Martitis aka giddiness. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Even fergie doesn't reckon we're getting Hargreaves tbf.

As I said when I got back from being in the quadrant next to the Stretty after the Copenhagen game, I was really surprised at how dismal the atmosphere was there. You could hear relentless chanting from the Stretty and NOBODY in the quadrant actually bothered to carry it along.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Young Jimlad:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

re: the atmosphere.

would singing sections in all four stands work in your opinion and how best could/should they be implemented? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Singing sections, implemented with the assistance/cooperation of the club seems more viable than any fan attempts to somehow coordinate a mass gathering of singing supporters in a particular area of each stand by themselves and more likely as a means of successfully creating an atmosphere than, I don't know, creating and distributing a United fans hymn sheet of sorts.

I guess it would require the club to (and here's a big problem - expecting them to effectively implement anything like this) survey season ticket holders for next season and see how many of them would prefer to be grouped with more vocal supporters in their stand of choice. This would then allow the club to designate a particular block(s) of seats in each tier in each stand in which to group those supporters who want this as part of their OT experience. If this sample experience proved successful next season it could be continually expanded upon based on interest.

I would assume that there is a lack of neccessity for this in the Stretty, or perhaps it would just be easier to implement on a broader scale.

Anyway the hope would be that concentrated noise from one group of supporters would effectively/hopefully create a ripple effect and encourage noise from the rest of the ground. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Would never happen as the club know the singers would all stand in that section

Also people would refuse to move to accomdate them

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

...plus the club don't gaf about it either. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Which is another barrier I should have put in...

Bale - don't suppose any of you are regulars at Southampton but is he purely a left-back or is he viewed as a long-term replacement for G. Neville? Or, if he does come, are you expecting him to be back-up for Evra and Heinze to shuffle of to AC/Juve etc?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Go-Go:

Bale - don't suppose any of you are regulars at Southampton but is he purely a left-back or is he viewed as a long-term replacement for G. Neville? Or, if he does come, are you expecting him to be back-up for Evra and Heinze to shuffle of to AC/Juve etc? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

the latter, probably. he's an attacking left-back so with Fergie, if there's any positional alterations to be made it'll be converting him to a left midfielder.

The absurdity of it is that the club should be taking an active role in promoting the atmosphere within the ground.

Their product is made markedly more attractive by facilitating not only having a big and full stadium but a loud one as well.

Not only could a case be made for ensuring that the product on the pitch is attractive to viewers/potential customers, but the "consumer experience" within the stadium should have substantial value as well.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Young Jimlad:

The absurdity of it is that the club should be taking an active role in promoting the atmosphere within the ground.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They do, Fergie saying "icon_mad.gif it's important that Old Trafford is rocking" in the programme notes before every big game. icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Go-Go:

Oh and also, I usually have a bit of a sing when I get down to Hinckley matches but that's my choice - if people want to go to the game and not sing it dosn't mean they are lesser fans. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

there's a difference imo between not wanting to sing (understandable for some) and showing no passion or encouragement for the team whatsoever (which is what usually gets my back up, and generally tends to be combined with 90 minutes of whining and complaining).

I have to admit I don't have the self-confidence to be standing up and chanting if nobody else is, it's not me. If some people are though I tend to join in, and generally loosen up during the match, always louder in the second half.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

I have to admit I don't have the self-confidence to be standing up and chanting if nobody else is, it's not me. If some people are though I tend to join in, and generally loosen up during the match, always louder in the second half. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're basically me ffs

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

I have to admit I don't have the self-confidence to be standing up and chanting if nobody else is, it's not me. If some people are though I tend to join in, and generally loosen up during the match, always louder in the second half. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're basically me ffs </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same sitch here. Try to join in as much as possible when it sparks up around me but once it fades no-one can keep it going by themselves.

I can do it in a group of 2/3. Not on my own. Although one of my finest United moments has to have been 'starting' a chant in the FA Cup game against Citeh a few years back - I was a bit drunk, stood in the Stretty and there'd been a good atmosphere all game, so just went for it with a 'Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa-nnnniiiii-TED' and people around me joined in icon_cool.gif

Just out of interest, to the season ticket holders among us, how much of a rapport to you have with other random season ticket holders that sit directly around you? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

One time I sat in the south stand, a woman in front of me who I think was a season ticket holder started offering boiled sweets around to everyone she clearly 'knew' a little bit. I was not offered one icon_mad.gif

I have no rapport with any of them. Do I care? No?

Will I start songs? Yes

Will I join in if only ONE person is singing? Yes

Do I give a flying **** what people around me thing? No

Even if a song is being sang from the block next to me I'll STILL join in.

I have literally hardly any confidence but I'll still sing/chant/swear/go mental, I see the people near me for 90 mins every fortnight or so.

man up ffs.

No offence to Mika/Acou but the odds of you getting the same seat again are 1 in say 74,000 so why do you care if you get a funny look for singing, at least you're showing some passion unlike the morons surrounding you.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

No offence to Mika/Acou but the odds of you getting the same seat again are 1 in say 74,000 so why do you care if you get a funny look for singing, at least you're showing some passion unlike the morons surrounding you. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm just self-conscious and like I say, I just don't have the guts tbf.

Plus I've not had about 6 cans of beer pre-match like you which will loosen you up a bit I imagine.

Will I start songs? Yes

I have literally hardly any confidence but I'll still sing/chant/swear/go mental, I see the people near me for 90 mins every fortnight or so.

man up ffs.

No offence to Mika/Acou but the odds of you getting the same seat again are 1 in say 74,000 so why do you care if you get a funny look for singing, at least you're showing some passion unlike the morons surrounding you. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

whs, if there is no one around me singing and its absolutely silent ill try a few times to get a song going but if its not happening then i wont bother until some one else does and ill join in.

I love it. losing your voice > getting cold tbh.

Mart reported Nick and Nick got a yellow card, so Nick said he'd get him back and Mart smugly changed his location. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif

Just out of interest, to the season ticket holders among us, how much of a rapport to you have with other random season ticket holders that sit directly around you? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i sit smack bang in the middle of a group who travel up with a southern branch. the layout's a bit like this:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

1 2 3

4 5 6 7 8

9</pre>

1 and 2 alternate every game

3 = a rotund cockney called Pete who changes the 'and cockneys of course' to 'and geordies of course' when singing we are the pride of all europe. decent bloke, constantly takes the p*ss out of me being too tall and blocking his view, often tends to be just me and him singing in our section

4 and 5 = almost always two women, 5 is old, scouse and clueless, her mate seems more clued-up.

6 is me icon_cool.gif

7 = 90% of the time an old bloke who i chat to a fair bit. rest of the time the boyfriend of the girl who sits at 8

8 = aforementioned girl, the only other real singer in our section, good laugh but has unfortunately had a few run-ins with the ugly stick

9 = not part of that group, but a mental old black guy who spends the whole game haranguing opposition keepers. an early leaver icon13.gif

not sure what the point in that analysis was really \O/

Don't speak to any of the season ticket holders around me, some have been there for as long as i've had my season ticket (5 seasons, iirc) just nothing to speak to them about.

I sing a lot (sat down), because there is a fair bit of noise from tier 2, but I don't stand up and do this because, I would get people shouting "It's the family stand, sit down!" And tbh, I don't have the balls to be the only one standing up in about 3 blocks.

Will I start songs? Yes

man up ffs.

yeah, but newsflash - people are different. you clearly feel comfortable doing what you do, others don't (i certainly wouldn't run down the steps of the stretty doing a ravanelli). you've no real right to preach about that.

as long as people are showing their support for the team i'm not fussed really.

Archived