The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SLO_Fila:

Ffs, Liverpool proving what a pile of poo they are in front of their fans and they still won't leave the game.

One look at an United game and you see half the stadium empty with 5min to go to stoppage time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There were fans leaving with 5 minutes to go, you could see it on the tv. Problem at Old Trafford is that the tv cameras point at the South stand. People leave early if we are 8-0 up in that stand.

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Erm maybe. could have sowrn it was the South stand at some point.

Thinking about it though the posh advertising boards are round the North stand.

Our fans are rubbish anyway. Point the camers at the stretty. Don't care if you cannot see half the pitch.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coldberg:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SLO_Fila:

Ffs, Liverpool proving what a pile of poo they are in front of their fans and they still won't leave the game.

One look at an United game and you see half the stadium empty with 5min to go to stoppage time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There were fans leaving with 5 minutes to go, you could see it on the tv. Problem at Old Trafford is that the tv cameras point at the South stand. People leave early if we are 8-0 up in that stand. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It still didn't look as empty as OT. I saw more shots of OT, for example when behind the goalie and such and the stands are just as empty.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

I might well be wrong on this but i'll still never understand anyone who would put club over country. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can't understand for the life of me why anyone would put their country over their club.

Die England, hope they lose every match 8-0.

i'm not quite sure why the inferiority complex at all tbh. i'd wager every club in the country has a section dedicated support that says pretty much the same things you lot do on a regular basis. it's not like OT is the only ground you see on the tube that empties ten minutes before time when things aren't going to plan.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 14AlanSmithifb:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RedBlood:

United > England banner was on the Stretford end </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

and should have stayed there. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd have nailed myself to it if I'd known it wasn't going to last icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

Plus all the Liverpool fans are from Liverpool and all United fans are from Devon etc </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But i am from Devon dumbo icon_razz.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

This is the longest it's been without us winning it since I've supported (yea yea shut up) so I'd cry with joy :*) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not taking the p*ss, but to me that statement really makes me realise how spoiled United supporters have been in general. It really does make a difference when we were born doesn't it?

I started supporting United when I was about 6 and I was at university before we won the league for the first time in my lifetime! That's why I don't think I will ever experience a feeling like 1993. Even 1999 didn't match it.

The treble and the title in 2003 by quite a distance the highest points for me.

1999 I don't really need to explain, and 2003 for the fact that we started so badly and were being completely written off against a fantastic Arsenal side, but played some great stuff to catch them and obviously Ruud/Scholes were just absolutely unbelievable. Plus the game with Real at OT was one of my all-time favourites, just great.

This year if we won it (which we 1000000% definitely wont etc), it would be right up there with those two, but I refuse to entertain the idea atm.

For me in football, club > country by a long way. International tournies are amazing though. It's just the qualifiers which are a pain in the arse.

In cricket and rugby, country > club by quite a bit. Although I still look out for Lancashire/Sale foreigners in internationals etc.

Just looking at our fixture list and I can't say that I like the look of it.

Three (what should be straightforward home games), puntuated by away games at Arsenal, Spurs, Lille, Fulham and Liverpool.

Looking at it the next six weeks could be the defining point of the season, emerge from Anfield with a decent lead in the league intact and we have got a chance heading to the Bridge six weeks later.

Can't see us not dropping points in that run though, just depends how we react to any setbacks that might occur.

PS. We'll still lose.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by theis:

For me in football, club > country by a long way. International tournies are amazing though. It's just the qualifiers which are a pain in the arse.

In cricket and rugby, country > club by quite a bit. Although I still look out for Lancashire/Sale foreigners in internationals etc. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Even the big tournies don't even grab my attention to be honest, I just have very little interest in international football full stop these days, apart from praying that England don't win one. I think I would actually cry if they did.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

I might well be wrong on this but i'll still never understand anyone who would put club over country. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can't understand for the life of me why anyone would put their country over their club.

Die England, hope they lose every match 8-0. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That was quite clearly meant to be country > club at the end.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

Are all excited about 3pm then?! icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm that excited, I'll be in bed asleep.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Terry Cheung:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

This is the longest it's been without us winning it since I've supported (yea yea shut up) so I'd cry with joy :*) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not taking the p*ss, but to me that statement really makes me realise how spoiled United supporters have been in general. It really does make a difference when we were born doesn't it?

I started supporting United when I was about 6 and I was at university before we won the league for the first time in my lifetime! That's why I don't think I will ever experience a feeling like 1993. Even 1999 didn't match it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Absolutely. It was mad even better because of '92 as well. That had been another false dawn where we played the best football and looked like champions until about February, before tailing off before the challenge of a while very efficient, distinctly underwhelming in terms of style Leeds. To lose the title that year really made you feel like it would never happen.

Then when the only addition to the squad that summer was Dion Dublin and we got off to such an awful start with 1 point from our first three games including a 3-0 home defeat to Everton, and had a run of only 6 goals scored in 12 games in the autumn, to go on and win the title from there was unbelieveable. I don't think any title win could match that one for me.

I also think those things i've mentioned there and the length of time we'd gone without winning the title are the reasons why it's hard to imagine ever seeing another player come in with the impact of Cantona. For all that he was a great player for us regardless, the timing of when he came means that it will be very hard for any player to come in and be seen to turn us round almost singlehandedly in that way again.

Agree mark. That 2-0 defeat at Anfield in 1992 was so galling it's unbelievable. One of the biggest disappointments ever, even though by that time there was a certain inevitability to it and the team had lost their bottle. I mean, we couldn't even say that Rush never scored against United anymore.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Terry Cheung:

Agree mark. That 2-0 defeat at Anfield in 1992 was so galling it's unbelievable. One of the biggest disappointments ever, even though by that time there was a certain inevitability to it and the team had lost their bottle. I mean, we couldn't even say that Rush never scored against United anymore. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Foe me the defeat at Weat Ham just before was worse. While supposedly losing the title at anfield was excruciating, after the West Ham defeat there was a certain inevitability about it. For me the title really went in the earlier game, losing to an awful, already relegated side, and to such a freak goal as well.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ryno:

Saha, have you got any smoke around where you are? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Could you buy your drugs elsewhere please, it's not that kind of thread icon_mad.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

Agree mark. That 2-0 defeat at Anfield in 1992 was so galling it's unbelievable. One of the biggest disappointments ever, even though by that time there was a certain inevitability to it and the team had lost their bottle. I mean, we couldn't even say that Rush never scored against United anymore. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Foe me the defeat at Weat Ham just before was worse. While supposedly losing the title at anfield was excruciating, after the West Ham defeat there was a certain inevitability about it. For me the title really went in the earlier game, losing to an awful, already relegated side, and to such a freak goal as well. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, maybe. The difference for me was that I only listened to the West Ham game on the radio but the Liverpool match was televised.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

liverpool boards are full of people moaning about their support tonight, so i don't think there's any need for us to develop an inferiority complex just yet </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Each and every club has bits and pieces of culture that have grown organically. It seems one of them at Liverpool is that they’ll stop to the end and sing YNGAJ irrespective of the result. Whether that’s a genuine reaction to defeat or simply a cynical ploy to get the likes of Green w*nking over them (he’d probably reach the Kop from the radio gantry) I don’t know.

From memory, with a few exceptions, OT didn’t would empty to the degree it does now. Whether it’s an increase in day trippers, the obvious impact of having 30,000 extra people trying to get out of the area, or that it’s simply become something that’s slowly become more acceptable I don’t know.

But, for the life of me I can’t understand why people were leaving with 5 minutes to go at Villa and it’s also disrespectful to the players and a little sad to see the players applauding half empty stands when we’ve won by 2 or 3.

93 will always stand out as being awesome. 92 was horrible The Forest / West Ham defeats were horrible, as mark said although Anfield was horrible I think the Gale own goal for Leeds earlier in the day had probably killed off most of our hope...Liverpool just delivered the final nail.

The week in 95 seemed awful, seemed to sleep walk into the Everton game after the draw at West Ham. Upton Park was horrible because we went with very very little hope (like the scousers would do anything to help us icon_biggrin.gif) and suddenly it looked like it would be on....nasty.

99 from the Liverpool cup game onwards, just has an element of the surreal dream about it. So many outstanding performances and results in such a short space of times including my 2 favourite united games of all time...but it'll always be clouded by not being at the CL Final.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

But, for the life of me I can’t understand why people were leaving with 5 minutes to go at Villa and it’s also disrespectful to the players and a little sad to see the players applauding half empty stands when we’ve won by 2 or 3. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Leaving early; never really understood the "beat the rush" mentality, only way I could envision myself leaving early is in the case of an emergency.

As for it being a little sad to see the players applauding half-empty stands; well I'd rather they show mutual respect/appreciation for the fans that stay rather than thinking "well they've ****ed off early, so why shouldn't I?".

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Kieran Richardson is prepared to battle for his future at Manchester United.

Richardson's career has stalled over the course of the last year and he is currently well down Sir Alex Ferguson's pecking order.

The midfielder enjoyed a fruitful spell on loan at West Brom in 2005 and he has again been linked with a move away from Old Trafford in January.

Richardson is aware of the task facing him at Old Trafford, but he is eager to prove he is capable of holding down a regular starting berth.

"It would be easy to think about going somewhere else where you are going to get a game, but somewhere else isn't Manchester United," Richardson told The Sun.

Alan Smith is another player ready to fight for his future at United.

The forward is edging closer to full fitness, as the anniversary of his serious ankle injury approaches, and even though Henrik Larsson has arrived at Old Trafford, Smith is looking to stay and fight.

"There has been a tremendous improvement in his fitness over the last month and he is not far away now," said Ferguson.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

I'm sure there's something about the Smith injury that's not come out yet. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

fact that he came back far too early? he was woeful against southend, really bad

• Administrators

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

Just looking at our fixture list and I can't say that I like the look of it.

Three (what should be straightforward home games), puntuated by away games at Arsenal, Spurs, Lille, Fulham and Liverpool.

Looking at it the next six weeks could be the defining point of the season, emerge from Anfield with a decent lead in the league intact and we have got a chance heading to the Bridge six weeks later.

Can't see us not dropping points in that run though, just depends how we react to any setbacks that might occur.

PS. We'll still lose. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

Weekend Chelsea Man Utd First to KO

Jan 13th Wigan H Aston Villa H

Jan 20th Liverpool A Arsenal A Chelsea 1 day before

Jan 31st Blackburn H Watford H

Feb 3rd Charlton A Tottenham A Chelsea 1 day before

Feb 10th Middlesbrough H Charlton H

Feb 24th Man City A Fulham A Man Utd 2 hours before

Mar 3rd Portsmouth A Liverpool A Man Utd 4 hours before

</pre>

The Feb 3rd and March 3rd weekends are huge for Chelsea.

possibly, and that could well have been partly his fault.

I just wonder if something else isn't right with him...maybe the muscle is his leg hasn't improved enough? It's more than just his 'normal' fitness. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How professional is he considered to be off the pitch? I take it there's no question of a Lee Sharpe 'virus' style layoff being part of the equation here?

Nah, I was thinking almost the opposite. That he kidded himself and the medics that he was Ok to return. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That doesn't quite sit right either. I'm assuming that to assess recovery they'll use sprint times and something to record stamina like bleep tests or lung capacity etc? It sounds like it would have to be a pretty serious lapse for that to happen if my assumption is correct, and if it's not i'd wonder why those things aren't being done.

Archived