The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by goon:

Ha didnt realise Liverpool, Arsenal, United and Chelsea will be playing each other in the same weekend again. Should be good. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

*nervy

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

I might well be wrong on this but i'll still never understand anyone who would put club over country. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can't understand for the life of me why anyone would put their country over their club.

Die England, hope they lose every match 8-0. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That was quite clearly meant to be country > club at the end. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You mean "being stabbed by pires777 777 times with a rusty nail > country" I think.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

I love Matt sometimes, such an optimist icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Going into Liverpool/Arsenal/Spurs/Lille/Fulham away games thinking we will win them all is beyond optimistic to be fair.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

Going into Liverpool/Arsenal/Spurs/Lille/Fulham away games thinking we will win them all is beyond optimistic to be fair. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

we can afford to lose 2 league games and still be top though. The way Chelsea are playing we'll probably still have an advantage.

• Administrators

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ericcantona7:

Going into Liverpool/Arsenal/Spurs/Lille/Fulham away games thinking we will win them all is beyond optimistic to be fair. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

we can afford to lose 2 league games and still be top though. The way Chelsea are playing we'll probably still have an advantage. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

and that's the 100% wrong way to look at it. You've gotta keep winning to maintain the points gap and the psychological pressure of Chelsea having to chase, which in turn puts us under more pressure.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Juni:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ericcantona7:

we can afford to lose 2 league games and still be top though. The way Chelsea are playing we'll probably still have an advantage. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

and that's the 100% wrong way to look at it. You've gotta keep winning to maintain the points gap and the psychological pressure of Chelsea having to chase, which in turn puts us under more pressure. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Juni:

and that's the 100% wrong way to look at it. You've gotta keep winning to maintain the points gap and the psychological pressure of Chelsea having to chase, which in turn puts us under more pressure. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Juni has it in a nutshell. EC7 what were you thinking? icon_confused.gificon_biggrin.gif

We start dropping points and we're telling Chelsea that they can get back in it if they can just maintain some semblance of form. The only way to maintain this title challenge is to be as imperious as possible and deal with each fixture as they come up and not keep one eye on the prem while splitting our other eye between our European and FA Cup commitments.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Young Jimlad:

Juni has it in a nutshell. EC7 what were you thinking? icon_confused.gificon_biggrin.gif

We start dropping points and we're telling Chelsea that they can get back in it if they can just maintain some semblance of form. The only way to maintain this title challenge is to be as imperious as possible and deal with each fixture as they come up and not keep one eye on the prem while splitting our other eye between our European and FA Cup commitments. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree, but I think we'll still have a gap as long as we don't self-implode, Chelsea look like they'll drop more points to me, I'm sure they'll hit form sooner or later, but as long as we're still ahead then they'll be the ones with the work to do.

My two losses thing was a worst case scenario anyway, if we win all 5 then we'll be sitting pretty.

Someone may as well bring this up. Beckham is leaving Madrid.

I wouldn't be adverse to seeing him back here as a squad player. Plus I imagine the Glazers wouldn't mind him for his marketability (is that even a word?).

I am aware most people would rather see him go elsewhere but meh it had to be mentioned at some point.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JulesMUFC:

7 minutes...tissues at the ready </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Martin will be the same, but with a whole other purpose for the tissues.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Young Jimlad:

We start dropping points and we're telling Chelsea that they can get back in it if they can just maintain some semblance of form. The only way to maintain this title challenge is to be as imperious as possible and deal with each fixture as they come up and not keep one eye on the prem while splitting our other eye between our European and FA Cup commitments. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree, but I think we'll still have a gap as long as we don't self-implode, Chelsea look like they'll drop more points to me, I'm sure they'll hit form sooner or later, but as long as we're still ahead then they'll be the ones with the work to do.

My two losses thing was a worst case scenario anyway, if we win all 5 then we'll be sitting pretty. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If we don't win the title now, it's your negative attitude which will have got to the players. Be it on your head icon_mad.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> £1.2 m to keep Larsson

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

from sportinglife

'Manchester United must reportedly pay another £1.2million to keep Henrik Larsson for the rest of the season.

The former Celtic and Barcelona ace joined United on January 1 in a loan deal until March 12 from Swedish club Helsingborgs.

And he promptly endeared himself to the Old Trafford faithful by playing a starring role in Sunday's FA Cup third-round win over Aston Villa.

Larsson netted in that victory to cap a fine display, and now there are reports that his loan deal could be extended to the end of the season.

But The Sun claims that would cost United another £1.2million, with Helsingborgs looking for hefty compensation.

Their chairman Sten-Inge Fredin said: "The exact sum a deal like this will cost United depends on a lot of circumstances. For example, we would have to decide if we need to replace him in our own team.

"It is, first and foremost, up to Henrik if he will stay in Manchester. If he wants that, then we are certainly up for discussions with United." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Worth it?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> £1.2 m to keep Larsson

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

from sportinglife

'Manchester United must reportedly pay another £1.2million to keep Henrik Larsson for the rest of the season.

The former Celtic and Barcelona ace joined United on January 1 in a loan deal until March 12 from Swedish club Helsingborgs.

And he promptly endeared himself to the Old Trafford faithful by playing a starring role in Sunday's FA Cup third-round win over Aston Villa.

Larsson netted in that victory to cap a fine display, and now there are reports that his loan deal could be extended to the end of the season.

But The Sun claims that would cost United another £1.2million, with Helsingborgs looking for hefty compensation.

Their chairman Sten-Inge Fredin said: "The exact sum a deal like this will cost United depends on a lot of circumstances. For example, we would have to decide if we need to replace him in our own team.

"It is, first and foremost, up to Henrik if he will stay in Manchester. If he wants that, then we are certainly up for discussions with United." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Worth it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

if the £1.2m includes wages then yes, it's not that much.

It's not even self-imploding though, all it takes is to lose at Stamford Bridge and to have a random West Ham-like game somewhere and bam, bye bye 6pts. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And all it takes is a draw at Chelsea, and them to have a random Villa/Fulham/Reading game somewhere, and it's hello 8 points, which is effectively 9 with the current goal differences.

The reality is it's way too early to start worrying about predicting the remaining fixture lists to work out where the title's going. There's too many injuries, suspensions, signings and vagaries of form to come to start looking at the minutiae of individual results. We should simply be saying that we have a 6 point lead, that's effectively 7 due to goal difference, and hope that we drop less points in the rest of the season than Chelsea from a slightly tougher programme.

I think my scenario is much more likely though, bluntly I still think they have the better squad and it will ultimately show. We shall see. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

if you take what you expect to happen to us, losing two more games before the end of the season is likely, especially with us going to Chelsea. But to take that in isolation as the lead gone assumes Chelsea dropping no more points, which isn't likely at all. They're in worse form than us at the moment, still have injuries, and have two, probably three, extra games coming up with the Carling Cup. So you could even say it's not unreasonable to expect that the lead could grow before it starts to shrink.

None of that is to say i'm confident, just to say there's too many twists and turns to come to start worrying as well.

I see what you're saying and I'm not worrying as such, I just don't see the six points as being as significant as it might look. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm more looking at a 6 point lead, effectively 7, as being beyond my wildest dreams for this stage of the season had you asked me in august. I see what you're saying in terms of significance, as bigger leads have been lost to lesser teams than Chelsea at this stage of previous seasons. But the same assumptions that might suggest us finishing second this year wouldn't have given us this lead either, so there's at least hope where before there was none.

can I just say the gd advantage is only worth half a point not a full one, we're not effectively 7 points clear as if Chelsea gain 7 points on us then they're top. We're effectively 6.5 points clear, or anywhere from 6.00000000000000000001 to 6.999999999999999 to be more exact. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good point. Call it 6 points and an away goal if you like icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

I see what you're saying and I'm not worrying as such, I just don't see the six points as being as significant as it might look. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm more looking at a 6 point lead, effectively 7, as being beyond my wildest dreams for this stage of the season had you asked me in august. I see what you're saying in terms of significance, as bigger leads have been lost to lesser teams than Chelsea at this stage of previous seasons. But the same assumptions that might suggest us finishing second this year wouldn't have given us this lead either, so there's at least hope where before there was none. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fair enough, as you know I'm not particularly one for hope, unless there is a good reason for it.

I would rather be 6pts up than 6pts behind of course, there's just a)a feeling that things about the current squad feel too good to last, the lack of injuries etc b)Chelsea have too much class not to get it together c)We've had chances liker against them at home, the Newcastle match etc to extend the lead and that it really should be more than 6 atm and it'll come to haunt us.

I realise that each of those can be just as easily countered, but I'm usually going to take the cautious/pessimistic argument icon_biggrin.gif

fwiw on comparative results with last seasons we're only 2 points up, and so are Chelsea, ergo if we get the same results as last season from now on then we'll finish eight points behind Chelsea. All we have to do is finish this season as we started the last one. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Comparing with the start of last season, the form of Scholes and Ronaldo, and to a lesser extent Giggs and Saha, plus the addition of Vidic, Evra, Carrick and Larsson, have more than offset the loss of RVN and the dip in Rooney's form.

To me that suggests that while Chelsea may regain the heights of last season, it's far less likely that we'll slip as far back as we were in the first half of last season, even allowing for injuries and loss of form.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

I'm more looking at a 6 point lead, effectively 7, as being beyond my wildest dreams for this stage of the season had you asked me in august. I see what you're saying in terms of significance, as bigger leads have been lost to lesser teams than Chelsea at this stage of previous seasons. But the same assumptions that might suggest us finishing second this year wouldn't have given us this lead either, so there's at least hope where before there was none. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fair enough, as you know I'm not particularly one for hope, unless there is a good reason for it.

I would rather be 6pts up than 6pts behind of course, there's just a)a feeling that things about the current squad feel too good to last, the lack of injuries etc b)Chelsea have too much class not to get it together c)We've had chances liker against them at home, the Newcastle match etc to extend the lead and that it really should be more than 6 atm and it'll come to haunt us.

I realise that each of those can be just as easily countered, but I'm usually going to take the cautious/pessimistic argument icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I do take your points, and i think they have merit. I'm not going to counter them as such, just simply say that there are enough reasons to be happy that the inevitability of a Chelsea title victory hasn't been there so far this season, even if that's still the eventual outcome.

Yeah I said at the start of the season that I'd take a more competitive 2nd place and a better run in Europe and so far it looks like we'll get that, so great.

Going off on a tangent a bit, if we don't win the league this year, might this represent our best chance for a few years to come? Will Chelsea be as bad in the future?

Yeah I said at the start of the season that I'd take a more competitive 2nd place and a better run in Europe and so far it looks like we'll get that, so great.

Going off on a tangent a bit, if we don't win the league this year, might this represent our best chance for a few years to come? Will Chelsea be as bad in the future? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The hardest thing to recreate with dominating teams like Chelsea is hunger. It's possible that the talk of new players /systems /injuries being the cause of their (apparently) greater vulnerability could be wide of the mark, and it's more a case of some of the players who already have consecutive titles under their belts finding motivation harder to come by, and seeing Europe as the bigger prize this year.

Even if that's not the case this season, another title and it will be harder to avoid next year. Don't forget, nobody has ever won four consecutive league titles since the inception of the english league.

I think hunger and desire for a title plays a huge part. Man Utd are definately hurting because we have gone for a 'relatively' long time since we won our last title and the desire to prove ourselves and re-establish our place at the top is bigger than Chelsea's ability to motivate themselves.

Some teams can do it whilst others struggle. Look at the difference between Australia and England in cricket. We build a team that matures year by year and culminates by winning the ashes. The subsequent tour to Pakistan was an insignificant follow up. We got ourselves back up for a 1-1 draw in India and then managed to **** up a home series against Sri Lanka.

The best Australian teams of the past decade, despite being far superior to the number two team at the time have taken delight in pummeling opposition time and again, even in dead rubbers. The only reason they lost the ashes was not due mainly due to complacency but mainly down to an England team desperate to prove themselves, something which edged the series in our direction.

It's also arguable that Chelsea are more focused on the CL too, the motivation factor is significant I agree and we look more hungry for it than we have in a good while.

A question Juni posed on MSN the other day for you now, which United player do you most fear being injured? I answered Scholes fwiw.

Does Razor Eddie look like Jesus in person or is it just the angle of the photo? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have you heard of the Unseen University?

Archived