The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">And for forgetting to mention that O'Shea's 7 or 8 minutes on the pitch were arguably the WORSE SUBSTITUTE PERFORMANCE I HAVE EVER EVER SEEN IN THE HISTORY OF FOOTBALL EVER. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nah, Liam Miller was given that title and allowed to keep the trophy after his 'cameo' in the home game against Spurs a couple of seasons back (the infamous Carroll/Mendes one)

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

think people are being a bit harsh on Wayne btw. he was poor first half but much better second half, when he deserved a goal on merit rather than just on effort.

happy with today, nice to see us attacking a team right from the off rather than the recent habit of only turning up for the second half. we've been saying someone's gonna get a thumping off us sooner or later, should really have been today - bit annoyed at the way we sat back second half and let them back into it. even so, that's just me being picky, can't really complain.

vds - good (and underrated) save from a header first half which could have made things nervier. solid as ever really, no chance with the goal

nev - getting nearer his early season form, especially in terms of going forward

evra - class, again. has to be a shoo-in for most improved player this season, wouldn't swap him for any other left-back around

rio - marking not great for their goal but otherwise very sound

vida - baros made him look a bit silly for the goal but otherwise a pretty seamless return

park - first half was about as good as we've seen from him - direct, tricky, lively, intelligent and wtfz, a goal. tired dramatically though, really ineffective after the break

ronaldo - had a couple of games off from being amazy, right back up at that high level again now. poor mellberg had to fork out to get back into the stadium at one point

carrick - getting better and better. long overdue goal which was his from start to finish, great cross for Ronnie's strike, just looks completely at home now

scholes - the sort of performance that there aren't really enough superlatives for. could just watch him play all day long in that kind of form, just a class above anyone else in the country

rooney - as above. dire first half, improved lots second half, desperately needs a break in two senses of the word (and definitely not in another)

larsson - quieter but still showed his class. his movement is absolute quality, must be an absolute nightmare to mark him.

none of the subs really made an impact, thought saha looked well off the pace (perhaps understandably) and the other two didn't have much time to do anything notable (although JOS was, as ali said, as bad as he could possibly be in such limited time, and Ole would have had another goal if Ronnie hadn't been quite so greedy late on)

anyway, another potential hurdle overcome, another game ticked off the list with the lead intact, key players in good form going into next week's huge game, can't ask for much more. a rooney goal and a clean sheet one of these days would be nice though.

MoM: Scholes - whoever said 'Zidane esque' wasn't wrong. An absolute joy to watch. He's such an un-english midfielder, his first touch and technique are just astounding and he'll always look to use the ball productively. He's playing a different role now obviously, but this is 02/03 heights, when I thought he was the best midfielder in Europe. I love him so very very much.

2nd: Carrick. wp son, keep it up. Starting to really really like him as a player.

Honorable mention - Park.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">vds - good (and underrated) save from a header first half which could have made things nervier. solid as ever really, no chance with the goal </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry to disagree but in the 2nd half, particularly near the end when Villa had a bunch of corners VDS messed up 2 or 3 of them and we were quite lucky that the ball didn't land to any Villa players near the net.

First half he was solid though.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">And for forgetting to mention that O'Shea's 7 or 8 minutes on the pitch were arguably the WORSE SUBSTITUTE PERFORMANCE I HAVE EVER EVER SEEN IN THE HISTORY OF FOOTBALL EVER. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nah, Liam Miller was given that title and allowed to keep the trophy after his 'cameo' in the home game against Spurs a couple of seasons back (the infamous Carroll/Mendes one) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mate O'Shea could start a new awards ceremony of his own after that.

We're talking what, 6 touches of the ball in total. 4 of them gave it away, one was a slightly mistimed tackle that he got lucky off when getting it back. I literally counted one complete pass. It was utterly utterly abysmal. For once I don't think it's hyperbole to say I could have done better. I actually think I could.

And I loved John, remember icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

Nah, Liam Miller was given that title and allowed to keep the trophy after his 'cameo' in the home game against Spurs a couple of seasons back (the infamous Carroll/Mendes one) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mate O'Shea could start a new awards ceremony of his own after that.

We're talking what, 6 touches of the ball in total. 4 of them gave it away, one was a slightly mistimed tackle that he got lucky off when getting it back. I literally counted one complete pass. It was utterly utterly abysmal. For once I don't think it's hyperbole to say I could have done better. I actually think I could.

And I loved John, remember icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As someone on RI put it:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">1st touch - gave ball away

2nd touch - gave ball away

3rd touch - let ball run under boot trying to intercept pea-roller pass, hence losing possession

4th touch - tried lofted ball over full back, kicked ball into touch, lost posession. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

\O/

amuses me that he was on the bench essentially to cover all defensive positions and allow us some more attacking options, and then he comes on... in midfield

man we were awesome first half.

MotM: The whole Team. except Rooney.

Rooney poor again, cant fault him for trying in fairness, its not a lack of effort or anything, hes just not playing well. several people around me commenting on how poor his touch was, first time ive heard anyone dare to say things like that so it must be becoming obvious.

atmosphere dire once again, oh how i hate west lower. some idiot fat pie muncher next to me missed a whole 20 minutes of the game today: she was 7 minutes late, 2 minutes to get a pie and left 11 minutes before the end. why bother ffs.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

man we were awesome first half.

MotM: The whole Team. except Rooney.

Rooney poor again, cant fault him for trying in fairness, its not a lack of effort or anything, hes just not playing well. several people around me commenting on how poor his touch was, first time ive heard anyone dare to say things like that so it must be becoming obvious.

atmosphere dire once again, oh how i hate west lower. some idiot fat pie muncher next to me missed a whole 20 minutes of the game today: she was 7 minutes late, 2 minutes to get a pie and left 11 minutes before the end. why bother ffs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I missed 20min too today icon_frown.gif Stupid pub employees put the channel on Chelsea vs Wigan while 3/4 of the pub wanted to see United but nobody said a word because nobody knew who wanted to watch Chelsea. So i got tired and begged the waitress to change the channel at which point she asked the customers who wants United and there were about 15-20 people wanting to watch United and only 2 Chelsea icon_biggrin.gif

now this makes extremely promising reading icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are referring of course to the positive sentiments directed towards Evans rather than the quite awful grammar etc. used on that board. Like (ffs).

Oh and icon14.gif Jonah...trust me the locals are loving it!

someone obviously studied DB07 pretty closely icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Glad to see Jonny is settling in so well, such a class, class, class player for a young lad. Got no doubts he will be future United captain.

Go on Jonny son!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

If it seems we arent going to bother using Rossi why dont we ship him down to Sunderland as well? Play him or loan him out Fergie rather than have him doing **** all. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ole or rossi on the bench? larsson/saha or rossi on the bench?

I'd prefer us to field our strongest 16 every time rather than attempt to give the lad minutes. I'm sure with injuries he will get a chance but at the moment there are better options.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> From the Sunday Mirror:

MANCHESTER United have won the battle to sign Southampton's highly rated teenage star Gareth Bale.

The 17-year-old full-back will not be leaving the Championship side in this transfer window, after United agreed to pay £8m in the summer and loan him back to the club next season.

Saints were forced to do business after Bale refused to sign a new contract at the club. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

Pathetic isn't it, I see on one of their boards, they want a Justice for Hillsbrough banner, vermin loving tossers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

stop going on celtic-minded, it's the biggest apologist "love us" place ever invented. The bungle boys (that want the banner) are disliked by the majority after their old firm pandering and most of us would hate a banner for the murderers.

And you'll find a lot of Celtic fans, myself included, still have strong feelings for United even before Larsson went there - so they have every right to go and support him and the club.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Umney:

Bale is good from when I've gone to Southampton matches with my Saints supporting mate. But he isn't £8m good, wouldn't even put him down as £4m good at the time being. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

if the 8mill figure being banded around it would be probs half upfront with extras based on success/trophies etc.

Cant say i'm unhappy though as bale will be fbb.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Umney:

Bale is good from when I've gone to Southampton matches with my Saints supporting mate. But he isn't £8m good, wouldn't even put him down as £4m good at the time being. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I dont believe we have signed him but if we did the figure would not be based on how good he is but how good he could be.

MOM votes coloured by MoTD vs. Villa (H)...

MOM: Paul Scholes - beat Carrick to the punch just because he looked on top of everything from the highlights.

2ND: Michael Carrick - looked like he was in excellent form yesterday and outside of the assist to Ronaldo the second was really *his* goal such was his involvement in it from start to finish. So fluid.

Other stuff...JSP looked brighter and more composed icon14.gif, but I assume Giggs will be back in for the Arsenal game next week though. Rooney absent from the highlights bar the strike that hit the bar icon_frown.gif. Scholes' volley >>>> Henry from the edge of the box whatever MoTD think. Bale for £8mill? Any official confirmation on that as yet or are we still riding the speculation train?

AFFG - Same sort of problem as at West Ham with various players culpable. Vidic was completely done by Baros, but Rio was flapping at the near post and should have done better to rectify the situation & it didn't seem like he was paying attention to Abonglahor (or however you spell it) - so probably Rio since I've been working on the last man premise for fault.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

Vida will be back to his usual form next Sunday icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Who do you want him to destroy first - Henry or van Persie?

Vida will be back to his usual form next Sunday icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

vida vs arsenal last season at OT was soooo icon_cool.gif

that tackle that started for the rooney goal(iirc?)

was immense.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JulesMUFC:

vida vs arsenal last season at OT was soooo icon_cool.gif

that tackle that started for the rooney goal(iirc?)

was immense. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

such a great goal :*)

Vida CRUNCHING in - Silvestre WHIPPING it in - Rooney LASHING it in

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Young Jimlad:

Bale for £8mill? Any official confirmation on that as yet or are we still riding the speculation train?

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The latter, the Sunday Mirror claims it is done but yeah.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by finneys13:

How are you going to play Bale, Heinze and Evra in the same team? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Heinze will go imo.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by finneys13:

How are you going to play Bale, Heinze and Evra in the same team? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

mate we're the masters of all left-back XIs. it'll be a doddle.

Archived