The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great stuff from O'Shea coming on to just repeatedly give the ball away icon14.gif

The thing that really, really irritates me about him is that he doesn't even look up. He just kicks the ball in whichever direction takes his fancy as soon as he's put under any pressure at all.

Is there not somebody in the Reserves or at Antwerp who can do a better job of just keeping the ball and making a few tackles here and there?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Weststandred:

All this talk of Ruud, let's watch him at 20:00 on SS1. icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

\o/

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by hairwad:

Yeah one of those half time charity things - not even sure if he was meant to have a go, he just kind of ran up at the end and with a little backspin effortlessly hit the bar icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He won the Charity Man Utd Poker on MUTV and he gambled the £2,500 he won to see if he could get another £5,000 for charity by hitting the bar from the 18 yard line.

Take it this was for that so well played May, he comes across as such a top bloke.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

Oh yeah, yesterday going through the turnstyle they had card readers, seems that next season all across the ground will have them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_frown.gif

I wonder when the first one will broken?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by hairwad:

Yeah one of those half time charity things - not even sure if he was meant to have a go, he just kind of ran up at the end and with a little backspin effortlessly hit the bar icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He won the Charity Man Utd Poker on MUTV and he gambled the £2,500 he won to see if he could get another £5,000 for charity by hitting the bar from the 18 yard line.

Take it this was for that so well played May, he comes across as such a top bloke. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

aye, that was it. think they'd given up hope on anyone hitting the bar and then he randomly just dinks one and hits it icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by something less annoying:

Great stuff from O'Shea coming on to just repeatedly give the ball away icon14.gif

The thing that really, really irritates me about him is that he doesn't even look up. He just kicks the ball in whichever direction takes his fancy as soon as he's put under any pressure at all.

Is there not somebody in the Reserves or at Antwerp who can do a better job of just keeping the ball and making a few tackles here and there? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

David Jones icon14.gif

icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

Oh yeah, yesterday going through the turnstyle they had card readers, seems that next season all across the ground will have them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

my turnstile didn't, fwiw. might be due to W10 having the most narrow entrances ever and there not being room to fit them yet. i've no idea how the fat bloke behind me gets through them - must have to be airlifted in or something.

They already have them in a couple of blocks, they've been testing them out this season. I know someone who has one and he says every so often, it cocks up and he has to go to the ticket office and they re-scan it. It's normally the cup games that ****s up, as the ticket office have to add the match onto the card or something.

He missed the first 10 minutes of the Villa game waiting in the ticket office for them to re-scan the card, so it accepts it. icon13.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

Seriously though, you're saying how he's a brilliant player etc, yeah that's great, but he's not playing brilliantly atm and hasn't for the majority of the season. I don't see why dropping him for a bit is so out of bounds, especially now we have options. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Because long-term we still need him in the side. He's crucial.

And dropping him will just prolong the low on confidence issues he has. Anyone saying he needs a 'rest' is talking out of their arse frankly.. he has no problems in that department. Still chasing every ball for 95 minutes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not sure there's a definite right or wrong answer on this one, and the points you make about the reasons for leaving him in do have merit. However, i don't think it's ridiculous to suggest a rest either.

It's all very well talking about him running for 95 minutes, which is true. However, that ignores the fact that he could be, and in my opinion quite probably is, mentally fatigued. That wouldn't stop him running for the whole game, but it would affect his first touch, his coolness in front of goal, and his decision making, all of which have been at least a level below his best for weeks. I certainly don't agree with what you said earlier, that his all round play has been fine. It's certainly not been abysmal either, but he's not at the level we know he's capable of in any aspect of his game besides workrate.

A week or two on the bench, or even just a week off completely, might just do him the world of good, both in freshening him up, and getting a bit of the pressure off. I do agree with you that he's too important for that rest to be this week, but i wouldn't have had a problem with it being last week, and ideally it would have been before the cup game, when he was offered 10 days off. I said at the time and i'll say again, i felt it was a mistake by Fergie to give him the option rather than telling him. Players of his age and mentality want to play every game, but sometimes you have to reign them in a bit, as they don't know their bodies as well as someone more experienced.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Weststandred:

He missed the first 10 minutes of the Villa game waiting in the ticket office for them to re-scan the card, so it accepts it. icon13.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fuking better get that sorted in time for use around the whole ground as i dont see however many thousand people with ****ed up cards waiting inline quitely to get it sorted

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by something less annoying:

The thing that really, really irritates me about him is that he doesn't even look up. He just kicks the ball in whichever direction takes his fancy as soon as he's put under any pressure at all. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What has really started winding me up is the little skip he does every single time he stops running, and the Pro Evo free kick defending crab side to side thing he does too icon_mad.gif

It's shocking how that first season of so much promise has turned into this lumbering daisy icon13.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

All this talk of Ruud, let's watch him at 20:00 on SS1. icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

\o/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

so yeah

:*******************************)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

I'm about 1,000 times more interested in if Pique played and how he did.

Anyone care to enlighten me? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

whs, from what i saw in the first half hour he got skinned by robinho and fouled him for a yellow card.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

A week or two on the bench, or even just a week off completely, might just do him the world of good, both in freshening him up, and getting a bit of the pressure off. I do agree with you that he's too important for that rest to be this week, but i wouldn't have had a problem with it being last week, and ideally it would have been before the cup game, when he was offered 10 days off. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i'd hope that Fergie would see the fortnight between Arsenal away and Spurs away would be the ideal time to give him ten days or so off. don't have him anywhere near the squad for the cup game, stick him on the bench for watford the following midweek and only use him if absolutely necessary. would hopefully freshen him up/re-invigorate him for a tricky run of games in february.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

A week or two on the bench, or even just a week off completely, might just do him the world of good, both in freshening him up, and getting a bit of the pressure off. I do agree with you that he's too important for that rest to be this week, but i wouldn't have had a problem with it being last week, and ideally it would have been before the cup game, when he was offered 10 days off. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i'd hope that Fergie would see the fortnight between Arsenal away and Spurs away would be the ideal time to give him ten days or so off. don't have him anywhere near the squad for the cup game, stick him on the bench for watford the following midweek and only use him if absolutely necessary. would hopefully freshen him up/re-invigorate him for a tricky run of games in february. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I quite agree, i just hope he tells him rather than asking him this time.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JulesMUFC:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

I'm about 1,000 times more interested in if Pique played and how he did.

Anyone care to enlighten me? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

whs, from what i saw in the first half hour he got skinned by robinho and fouled him for a yellow card. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That was the one and only time Robino got past Pique and then he didnt really get past him did he as Pique rightly took a booking to stop him going anywhere.

Have to say overall it was a steady performance from the lad.

He didnt quite look comfortable at right back and saw little of the ball but when he had it he found a man with his passing and he did well to stop Robinho on a few occasions but most of the play seemed to go down the Madrid right.

The best thing to say is he was playing Real Madrid and you wouldnt have said he was a crap player or out of his depth.

Got to say i hope we bring him back because he is a very promising player and if Fergie is intent on having someone with height in the midfield then i'd rather it be Pique than O'Shea.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Evans gives Ferguson a dilemma

Sunderland (1) 1 Ipswich (0) 0

Jonny Evans was only allowed to join Sunderland on loan after committing his long-term future to Manchester United. A commanding display at the Stadium of Light illustrated why Sir Alex Ferguson was so keen to secure his services.

The Belfast-born centre-half excelled in difficult circumstances on his home debut on windswept Wearside and ensured glowing reports would land on the desk of Ferguson. "I first heard in September that Roy had wanted me and Sir Alex had been texting me," said Evans, who spent the first half of the season at Royal Antwerp.

"I went in Sir Alex's office but I knew he wouldn't let me go until I signed a new [four-and-a-half year] contract. He asked me where I wanted to go. I said Sunderland. He rang Roy Keane, got in touch with me and gave me the go-ahead.

advertisement

"It's only for six months but who knows. Ben Foster was at Watford last season and stayed there because Premiership football furthered his development. I don't know if Sir Alex would let me stay or not." Evans, 19, repeatedly repelled Ipswich after David Connolly had struck a 13th-minute goal following an excellent cross by debutant Anthony Stokes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Timmy Howard:

I've read in a few reports that Heinze's contract expires in the summer but thats no way the case is it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Someone raised this the other day, it's not correct as he signed a five year deal or something when we signed him.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Timmy Howard:

I've read in a few reports that Heinze's contract expires in the summer but thats no way the case is it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Someone raised this the other day, it's not correct as he signed a five year deal or something when we signed him. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i think the confusion arose because IIRC he only signed a 3 year deal initially, but he then signed an extension making it 5 years not too long after arriving. So i think what has happened is that people have seen the initial 3 year deal, which would have expired this summer, and missed the extension.

I can't confirm any of that, but it seems to fit in with all the rumours. It certainly doesn't run out this summer whatever, because we don't let them run down that far except in exceptional circumstances, if we did we'd have had loads of stories about him "stalling" on a new deal, and we wouldn't have had the size of offer from the likes of Juve for a player they could sign now for nothing to come in the summer.

i know technically i could have put "what Mika said" but i had 5 minutes to kill. icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

U up 4 gab trans 2 u 4 hargs? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

9 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

took me ages to get that icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

U up 4 gab trans 2 u 4 hargs? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

9 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

took me ages to get that icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're getting old.

Archived