The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Manchester United '90% certain' of signing Bale on sale and loan deal

Stuart James

Wednesday January 17, 2007

The Guardian

Manchester United are edging closer to a deal to sign Gareth Bale, with sources indicating the 17-year-old is "90% certain" to leave Southampton for Old Trafford before the transfer window closes at the end of the month. It is likely that the fee will be significantly more than the £5.5m United want to pay, with Southampton looking for closer to £10m, but an agreement is set to be reached whereby the Premiership club make an initial down payment and the remainder is subject to specific clauses.

Southampton have become resigned to losing Bale after the player, along with his parents, met club officials on Saturday after the home match against Burnley. It is understood those discussions established that Bale, whose contract expires in 18 months, will not consider signing another deal. With Southampton concerned that the player could leave for a lower fee in the summer and United's interest intensifying, Bale's departure is now regarded as a formality.

It is almost certain that Bale will return to Southampton on loan for the remainder of the season. George Burley, Southampton's manager, and Bale are keen that he has the opportunity to help the club win promotion back to the Premiership rather than be a squad player at United for the final four months of the campaign. Should Bale join United before the end of this month he will be prevented from appearing for Southampton until the transfer window closes.

That scenario is unlikely to prove problematic, however, with the defender expected to move to Old Trafford shortly before the end of January. Tottenham, desperate to recruit a left-sided player, have also been tracking Bale but the player has all but made up his mind that he will join Sir Alex Ferguson's side. The pull of United, together with Ryan Giggs's presence - a player Bale knows well from international duty with Wales - means there is effectively no decision to make.

Spurs had an £8m bid rejected last week, with Southampton confident that United's pursuit of the player would drive up the price. Having agreed a deal with Arsenal this time last year for Theo Walcott that could potentially be worth £12m, Southampton hope to secure a fee for Bale close to that figure. United may well balk at such demands but their desire to purchase a player who is regarded as the most promising left-back in the country should prevent any impasse.

Southampton have become similarly keen to reach an agreement following Saturday's talks. Should Bale be allowed to run his current contract down to the final 12 months, which would be his position were he still to be at St Mary's in the summer, his value would diminish further and the Championship club would be faced with the prospect of losing their most prized asset for a significantly lower fee. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

£10m :/

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ajw2255:

silvestre heinze evra and bale. 4 left backs, bit ott </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">BBC: Tottenham have joined Juventus and Valencia in the race to sign Manchester United's Gabriel Heinze. (Various) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

://///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Scatter: So, if this goes through and Mascherano goes to Liverpool - do you start with the face or go for Fergie's nuts from the off? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It'll be a joke if FIFA allow it. basically what they'll be saying is what seems to happen with so many other rules like the pro-licence etc, that what constitutes exceptional circumstances is basically someone saying "we'd like to not abide by this rule on this occasion please".

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

Scatter: So, if this goes through and Mascherano goes to Liverpool - do you start with the face or go for Fergie's nuts from the off? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It'll be a joke if FIFA allow it. basically what they'll be saying is what seems to happen with so many other rules like the pro-licence etc, that what constitutes exceptional circumstances is basically someone saying "we'd like to not abide by this rule on this occasion please". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And we'd be what? Surprised by an outcome where a reputable club and a talented player of a high profile nation get there way around legislation designed to stop the game falling into chaos & reinforce the ability of the global footballing organisation to govern fairly and effectively...well if Blatter wasn't in charge I'd have slightly more faith in FIFA to do the right thing but since he is in charge that has been shot to hell.

Taken from Owen Hargreaves BBC column.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Hey Owen, I was wondering which team did you support when you were a kid?

Thomas Zaqueu, Mozambique

I used to watch a show called Soccer Saturday on TV in Canada. It came on at 7am because of the time difference and at the time Liverpool were the big team with Steve McManaman, Robbie Fowler and John Barnes. We only had one game every Saturday and it was always the big team so I grew up watching a lot of Liverpool. I was a big Steve McManaman fan as a kid.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

BBB isnt going to be happy. First we sign a scouser in Rooney and now we are after a McManaman lover, thats a step too far.

Heinze bid is apparently 5 million from Spurs.

Can't tell you how ecstatic I am that we might be selling a proven world-class defender for half the price we'll be able to bring in a 17 year old Welshman plying his trade in the Championship for.

I think I might cry if Mascherano goes to Liverpool.

ALthough I don't get their resoning for pursuing him anyway, as surely he'd be in direct competion with omfgMOMOifb\o/\o/, and he's never coming out on top in that match up. Not against the greatest player in the world today.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

It'll be a joke if FIFA allow it. basically what they'll be saying is what seems to happen with so many other rules like the pro-licence etc, that what constitutes exceptional circumstances is basically someone saying "we'd like to not abide by this rule on this occasion please". </div></BLOCKQUOTE> if/when you lot sign Hargreaves, you can make FIFA bitchslap UEFA so he can play in the CL for you this season. icon14.gif

Heinze bid is apparently 5 million from Spurs.

Can't tell you how ecstatic I am that we might be selling a proven world-class defender for half the price we'll be able to bring in a 17 year old Welshman plying his trade in the Championship for. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If we were to sell Gaby i would expect to get the £7m we paid for him. Especially if he went to a prem club where he is proven class.

As much as i would like us to sign Bale its just stupidity to end up selling Gaby for less than we pay for Bale. An International left back of proven quality going for less than a 17 year old kid who hasnt even played top flight football.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

Although I don't get their resoning for pursuing him anyway, as surely he'd be in direct competion with omfgMOMOifb\o/\o/, and he's never coming out on top in that match up. Not against the greatest player in the world today. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Benitez in questionable squad building move shocker!

As much as I love the Masch, & I really do think he has the ability to fit in given the chance and the right circumstances, I still don't want the MSI baggage that comes with him (or Tevez), so unless we can buy him outright signing him wouldn't be the right move for us.

I'm also loath to say it but I think that if there was a European school of football he would excell in it would be the Italian game due to the more controlled pace. He could get used to the more dynamic style of the EPL given time, but since we've invested so much in Carrick as a composed second to Scholesy right now and our future deep-lying playmaker, we do probably require someone with a more visible higher energy reserve than Mascherano if we can't replace Paul Scholes with a younger Paul Scholes, and if that doesn't mean letting Fletcher off the loose and keeping him as a squad player then it does mean getting in a Hargreaves-esq player if not the man himself.

Something else from the Hargreaves column on the BBC website:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I watch a lot of television - things like CSI and that sort of stuff, and comedies like The Office. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He likes CSI icon14.gif

He likes The Office icon13.gif (though I'm sure that has meant he has gone up in Martins expectations)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

I used to watch a show called Soccer Saturday on TV in Canada. It came on at 7am because of the time difference and at the time Liverpool were the big team with Steve McManaman, Robbie Fowler and John Barnes. We only had one game every Saturday and it was always the big team so I grew up watching a lot of Liverpool. I was a big Steve McManaman fan as a kid.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

BBB isnt going to be happy. First we sign a scouser in Rooney and now we are after a McManaman lover, thats a step too far. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wait, when were Liverpool a big team with McManaman, Barnes and Fowler in the same team?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

Wait, when were Liverpool a big team with McManaman, Barnes and Fowler in the same team? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Spice Boys with their cream suits, whats not big about that?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

Thinking today, Carrick has the exact role Veron would have killed to get at the club.

If Veron was Carricks age who would you rather have playing alongside Scholes if you had the choice? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Veron. In a heartbeat. No question.

Thinking today, Carrick has the exact role Veron would have killed to get at the club.

If Veron was Carricks age who would you rather have playing alongside Scholes if you had the choice? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Carrick impressed with with the amount of defensive work he was prepared to do despite not being a traditional DMC type player. Veron could never do that.Ergo, Veron -Scholes midfield wouldnt work well.

seba icon_cool.gif

the british press appear absolutely convinced that heinze's contract is up in the summer btw. fup knows why...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Young Jimlad:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

Although I don't get their resoning for pursuing him anyway, as surely he'd be in direct competion with omfgMOMOifb\o/\o/, and he's never coming out on top in that match up. Not against the greatest player in the world today. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Benitez in questionable squad building move shocker!

As much as I love the Masch, & I really do think he has the ability to fit in given the chance and the right circumstances, I still don't want the MSI baggage that comes with him (or Tevez), so unless we can buy him outright signing him wouldn't be the right move for us.

I'm also loath to say it but I think that if there was a European school of football he would excell in it would be the Italian game due to the more controlled pace. He could get used to the more dynamic style of the EPL given time, but since we've invested so much in Carrick as a composed second to Scholesy right now and our future deep-lying playmaker, we do probably require someone with a more visible higher energy reserve than Mascherano if we can't replace Paul Scholes with a younger Paul Scholes, and if that doesn't mean letting Fletcher off the loose and keeping him as a squad player then it does mean getting in a Hargreaves-esq player if not the man himself. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

JM is not just a holding midfielder though. he plays there for argentina to bring balance to the side and because he is better in that position than the alternatives. at all of his clubs so far though he has been a genuine box to box midfielder of the quality that we are absolutely screaming out for...

Right, Paul Scholes has been immense for us this season, and I love the little ginger prince to bits. But given our sluggishness in replacing Keano (something still arguably not yet achieved 4 years after it first became apparent), should we be looking to sign the long term Scholes replacement this summer? I’m of the firm belief we should, but if so, who? I’m really stuck.

We’ve got a similar situation with Giggsy, but the crucial difference there is that there’s several young left wingers we could name check as potential stars of the future who might fit in at United. But there seems to be a real lack of potentially world class forward thinking midfielders. Worries me, that does.

Going purely off the FM stakes (because I've not had Sky since I moved back from London), is Bodmer a possibility? That Moutinho bloke? Anyone with better world football knowledge fill me in?

Anyone who answers ‘Darren Fletcher’ is wrong, btw.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scatter:

i won't have your fletcher hate in here ali icon_mad.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's not Fletcher hate icon_frown.gif

I think he's a decent player, worthy of a place in the Manchester United squad. Just can't see him making the step up to world-class midfielder, for a variety of reasons. He'll basically end up like Nicky Butt - better than your average back up player, but not quite United class.

I'm pretty much in agreement with Ali about Fletcher. Whilst he has improved massively in the past couple of years into a useful quite good player, he lacks the technical ability that you want from someone playing in the Scholes role.

Not completely sure Fergie has that Scholes and Keano duo lined up for after Scholesy finally goes. With the amount of money he shelled out Carrick as a deep lying playmaker I can see him thinking Hargreaves + Carrick will be an able midfield duo to last us for quite along time, much in the pirlo + gattuso way. Although between them there isnt many goals and carrick doesnt have the shooting ability that pirlo has but doesnt hargreaves have a mean free kick/shot.

Cesc btw would be perfect for scholes replacement! if not Daniel Carlvalho? might be a bit too attack minded.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Chinese international Dong Fangzhou has signed a new contract at Manchester United and will now begin his Premiership career in earnest.

The striker has been farmed out to United's feeder club Royal Antwerp for the last two-and-a-half years, but was awarded a work permit in December and has now been welcomed into Sir Alex Ferguson's first team squad.

Dong has been handed a new deal that lasts until 2010 and will wear the number 21 shirt at Old Trafford as he looks to become the first Chinese player to make a senior appearance for The Red Devils.

His contribution since arriving from Dalian Shide in January 2004 has been restricted to pre-season tours, but Ferguson insists Dong has a role to play at United for the foreseeable future.

"We're all excited he has eventually arrived and can start playing," Ferguson told the club's official website.

"He sacrificed two-and-a-half years at Royal Antwerp, which showed great patience and determination.

"He is quick and athletic and he can only improve by training with the first team squad here." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by theis:

I'm pretty much in agreement with Ali about Fletcher. Whilst he has improved massively in the past couple of years into a useful quite good player, he lacks the technical ability that you want from someone playing in the Scholes role. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Scholes is almost unique in his abilities as an attacking midfielder, and in practice the only way he was able to continue to play in the way he did was for so long was that Keane was so exceptional at providing the defensive cover, combined with the fact that the other midfielder in the 4 was Beckham, who also covered far more than your traditional winger.

The way Scholes plays now is slightly different, in that he's required to play from a deeper role and to cover more than he did, and even then the extra cover is provided by the fact that Giggs tucks in far more than he ever did (not that he didn't use to chase back) and is less of a winger than he used to be.

If you were to build a team around Scholes now, getting the blend to be able to play the way we did with that original midfield quartet would be almost impossible, so you would be far more likely to play with him at the point of a midfield diamond. However, doing that makes it much harder to play with even one winger, let alone two which i still believe is and should be our aim.

What all that boils down to is the fact that the way i see our midfield shaping up post Scholes doesn't have a like for like replacement for him at all. The way i see it working if it goes according to plan is Hargreaves coming in is effect the Keane replacement. Carrick is the Scholes replacement in as much as his passing is supposed to provide the more attacking side of the balance, even though his positioning is not the same. The fact that you've then got one deep lying but more attacking midfielder, alongside one defensive one in terms of the job he does breaking up the play, but who also has the engine to get from box to box, means that you have more cover for your back four from your midfield.

The upshot of that is that it's the Giggs replacement who is key. What we need there is an out and out winger, who can be left or right as Ronaldo can do both jobs, although left would be better as i feel Ronaldo is more comfortable on the right.

Fletcher fits in as being cover and competition for both central midfield roles, as his allround game gives a reasonable blend with either of the other two mentioned, and Park provides the wide cover.

Good analysis there Mark. I think the point about either one of the wingers always 'tucking in' is a very valid one. And in the solution you suggest (deeper lying playmaker in Carrick, additional defensive / box to box midfielder in Hargreaves, Ronaldo and AN Other penetrative winger) we actually probably end up skirting the 4-2-3-1 of 2003, in that Rooney is likely to drop deeper into the hole, with the wingers switching and getting forward all the time.

Also worth pointing out that yet another reason why the 1994 team was so fb was that we had 2 box-to-box midfielders along with 2 out and out wingers. Pure dynamism.

Rossi's blatantly Scholesy's long-term replacement icon_cool.gif

or what mark said. think we have to be careful (and i think/hope Fergie will be) not to necessarily get into the mindset of having a defensive midfielder and an attacking midfielder in the centre. Keane/Ince worked well enough after all, in tandem with two absolute flyers on the wings.

out and out left winger - carrick - hargreaves - ronaldo would be pretty ace i reckon.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

BBB isnt going to be happy. First we sign a scouser in Rooney and now we are after a McManaman lover, thats a step too far. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

love the way he doesn't quite go as far as saying he was a Liverpool fan. clearly paving the way for the move icon_cool.gif

Archived