The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

I'm just pointing out the fact that gonch is being extraordinarily arrogant tbf. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i don't see why saying we're a better team than them is extraordinarily arrogant. the league table would tend to back that up, no?

obviously doesn't mean much when it comes to sunday's outcome, but in isolation it's an entirely fair comment.

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

I'm just pointing out the fact that gonch is being extraordinarily arrogant tbf. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i don't see why saying we're a better team than them is extraordinarily arrogant. the league table would tend to back that up, no?

obviously doesn't mean much when it comes to sunday's outcome, but in isolation it's an entirely fair comment. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I disagree, he's saying it needs to be pointed out and saying it as if we have a divine right to beat them because "we're better than them".

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Karl-Heinz Rummenigge confirms Bayern Munich have rejected a €30 million bid from Manchester United for Owen Hargreaves. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We have money?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

oi morgan

Tollgate tomorrow for Liverpool/Chelsea then town for our game.

compromise, not going into town for both games, no siree </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

seems fair. not sure i particularly want to watch tomorrow's game though.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

obviously doesn't mean much when it comes to sunday's outcome, but in isolation it's an entirely fair comment. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

thank you nick, rot off mart

I disagree, he's saying it needs to be pointed out and saying it as if we have a divine right to beat them because "we're better than them". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

haha yeh, me saying we are better is EXACTLY THE SAME as saying we have a divine right to beat them.

i reckon 1-1 on sunday fwiw, or a defeat, but im a bit tired of going into every game as though we are rubbish and should fear these teams. we are number 1, we are the team to beat right now.

what im saying is no worse than you making out we are watford and saying 'we'll lose this' for every match.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Liverpool v Manchester United on Saturday 3 March, kick off 12:45pm.

We will receive an allocation of approximately 2964 tickets priced £34 adults, £25.50 over 65’s and £17 under 16’s.

Executive Members can now apply for tickets by telephoning the Ticket Order line on 0870 442 1999 and speaking to an operator during a designated period of time. For the Liverpool game this will be 9am to 5pm from Monday 22 January through Friday 26 January. For the time being we will continue to accept postal applications, the same deadline applies. Late applications will not be accepted under any circumstances and it is important to apply by one method of application only.

Season Ticket holders who purchased a seat for the following 4 home cup games: Celtic, Copenhagen, Benfica and Aston Villa, are invited to register an application for this game by calling the 24 hour Ticket Order Line on 0870 442 1999 from 9am on Monday 29 January through to 5pm on Tuesday 30 January. Please note that this is a 24 hour service and tickets are not allocated on a first come first served basis.

All payments must be made by credit/debit card, however please note if successful an administration fee of 3% per transaction is charged for this service.

COACH TRAVEL TO ANFIELD

Executive Coach £15

Depart Car Park N2 10:00am

Est. return to Old Trafford 4:00pm

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

haha yeh, me saying we are better is EXACTLY THE SAME as saying we have a divine right to beat them.

i reckon 1-1 on sunday fwiw, or a defeat, but im a bit tired of going into every game as though we are rubbish and should fear these teams. we are number 1, we are the team to beat right now.

what im saying is no worse than you making out we are watford and saying 'we'll lose this' for every match. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's not about going into every game as if we're rubbish, but this game is bloody hard, and given that we're away from home, that makes Arsenal favourites for me.

You coming out and saying "we're better. fact" and all this, the way you said it to me implies that you think we should win the game, and I stand by my view that it is arrogant. Personally I don't think such an assertion is right and Arsenal given the form they are in recently should not be underestimated.

Haha making out as if I think we're Watford, just because I don't assume that we're going to win every game like you doesn't mean that. Rather be realistic like me and not underestimate other teams like you are.

erm, not posted?

Man Utd make new Hargreaves bid

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Manchester United have made a fresh offer for Owen Hargreaves, the Bayern Munich midfielder has told BBC Sport.

"It's been official today that Manchester United have made an offer for me," said Hargreaves, who has been out since September with a broken leg.

"For a club like Man Utd to make an offer is something I appreciate."

But Bayern director-general Karl-Heinz Rummenigge insists it is "out of the question" that the 25-year-old will leave during January.

Although Rummenigge was adamant the central midfielder would not leave Munich during the January transfer window, he admitted something could be sorted out in the summer.

"We will see this summer how things work out," Rummenigge told Bild newspaper.

United first bid for Hargreaves last summer, but Bayern blocked the move after losing Michael Ballack to Chelsea.

Hargreaves is contracted to the Bundesliga champions until 2010 but has made no secret of his desire to move to Old Trafford.

He told BBC Sport: "Manchester United have developed into such a talented team.

"They have got such a great nucleus when you look at Rio (Ferdinand) and Wazza (Wayne Rooney), and Cristiano Ronaldo is probably one of the best players in Europe at the moment."

The midfielder also paid tribute to United manager Sir Alex Ferguson.

"When you look at the success and the amount of titles he's won, he's been very successful.

"I think any player would love to have the opportunity to play for a manager like that and all the players speak in the highest tones for him."

Yet he admitted his future is in the hands of the Bayern hierarchy at the moment.

"I can't really do much, it's not on my side," he said. "That's down to the club really for those things to be decided.

"I've got a contract and I'm focussed on my half, which is football and playing well. "We'll see what happens in the coming weeks and possibly months."

Hargreaves has been out of action since September after breaking his leg.

But he returned to training on Monday and is aiming to return to first-team action in February.

He said: "The most important thing for me now is to come back healthy and playing strong.

"I've been out for a few months and am looking forward to getting back into the rhythm of playing again and representing England." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Haha making out as if I think we're Watford, just because I don't assume that we're going to win every game like you doesn't mean that. Rather be realistic like me and not underestimate other teams like you are. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

tbf we won 18/23 so gonch is probably the realist expecting us to win every game.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

LOSC Lille v Manchester United

Tuesday 20 February, kick off 20:45 (C.E.T)

EXEC MEMBERS / SEASON TICKET HOLDERS AND ONE UNITED MEMBERS

The deadline for all applications was 5pm on Friday 19 January and as we have been heavily oversubscribed a ballot will now be held to determine the successful applicants. Priority will be given to those supporters who have attended previous European away games this season.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wish good luck to those who have applied, I think you'll need it, ballot results Friday 26th January.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

what im saying is no worse than you making out we are watford and saying 'we'll lose this' for every match. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's not about going into every game as if we're rubbish, but this game is bloody hard, and given that we're away from home, that makes Arsenal favourites for me.

You coming out and saying "we're better. fact" and all this, the way you said it to me implies that you think we should win the game, and I stand by my view that it is arrogant. Personally I don't think such an assertion is right and Arsenal given the form they are in recently should not be underestimated.

Haha making out as if I think we're Watford, just because I don't assume that we're going to win every game like you doesn't mean that. Rather be realistic like me and not underestimate other teams like you are. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

win every game icon_biggrin.gif

you're so off point its untrue, i dare you to find anywhere ive said that, ever.

where have i said we will beat them? please, id love you to point that out.

for gods sake some of you lot crack me up. we're top of the league, and have been consistently better than them for the past two seasons, going on league performance (surely the best and only indicator, no?) i think im entitled to make my own, non-slit-my-wrists-with-fear-before-every-game approach to the match.

stop being so ****ing full of doom and woe all the time

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wilbie:

hargreaves about 10 million too much, I'd rather have Joey barton for 5.5million thank you very much. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i'd rather have joey from friends than joey barton.

Eurosport website was reporting we had bid 30 million euros for Hargreaves early this morning but i just laughed it off as a load of crap so didnt post it. Great news thats its true.

The fee is a bit high for my liking but yet again we have been crying out for someone like Hargreaves for years now. If we signed him not only would it be a great boost towards the title but it would leave the squad short of one class winger to be perfect for me.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Several supporters have written to the Club to complain about the price of tickets for the visit to Fulham on 24th February. Fulham have set out their ticket pricing policy making it made clear that for Category A+ matches (including United and Liverpool), tickets for home and away fans in comparable sections of the ground would be £45 for adults, £30 for over 65s and 17-21 year olds and £20 for under 17s. Away supporters at Craven Cottage are charged the lowest price band in the stadium. Fulham have complied with the FAPL rules concerning equality when charging home and away fans. Manchester United cannot set ticket prices for other clubs, just as other clubs cannot dictate prices at Old Trafford.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

link

Why spend so much on Hargreaves when Carrick - Scholes has been working so well up to this point? He's a good player, but not a great one, and he is coming off a broken leg. I'd rather see us sign a striker (assuming Larsson goes home in March) or a left winger, we'll have to replace Giggs sooner than Scholes IMO.

i would prefer to wait until the summer. who knows that hes going to come back just as good as he was. likely i know, but i'd say its best to wait. buy a cheaper alternative if anything or a loan for the rest of the season.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AllStar4:

Why spend so much on Hargreaves when Carrick - Scholes has been working so well up to this point? He's a good player, but not a great one, and he is coming off a broken leg. I'd rather see us sign a striker (assuming Larsson goes home in March) or a left winger, we'll have to replace Giggs sooner than Scholes IMO. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Carrick is the replacement for Scholes if anyone. We have been crying out for a box to box midfielder who can get stuck in for years now and that is why we are trying for Hargreaves and if we dont get him a similar player should be top of the shopping list.

Basically what you are saying is playing O'Shea in midfield is fine because its more important that we sign a forward because when all available and fit we only have Rooney, Saha, Solskjaer, Smith and Rossi for up front.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pago:

i would prefer to wait until the summer. who knows that hes going to come back just as good as he was. likely i know, but i'd say its best to wait. buy a cheaper alternative if anything or a loan for the rest of the season. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We arent in a position to buy someone now and then go back for him in the summer and is anyone really going to let a good box to box midfielder join us on loan?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pago:

i would prefer to wait until the summer. who knows that hes going to come back just as good as he was. likely i know, but i'd say its best to wait. buy a cheaper alternative if anything or a loan for the rest of the season. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We arent in a position to buy someone now and then go back for him in the summer and is anyone really going to let a good box to box midfielder join us on loan?

where have i said we will beat them? please, id love you to point that out.

for gods sake some of you lot crack me up. we're top of the league, and have been consistently better than them for the past two seasons, going on league performance (surely the best and only indicator, no?) i think im entitled to make my own, non-slit-my-wrists-with-fear-before-every-game approach to the match.

stop being so ****ing full of doom and woe all the time </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Haha calm down icon_biggrin.gif

You going on saying how much better we are than them clearly implies that you think we should beat them, I don't think that's an unreasonable assumption to make.

What is wrong with not being as optimistic as you? So what if we're top of the league, doesn't make much difference when it comes to toss of the coin games like this.

So what if we have been better than Arsenal for two years, they're growing and developing greatly atm and imo will be serious contenders for the title next season. Statements like "we're better than them" are just pointless and arrogant.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AllStar4:

Why spend so much on Hargreaves when Carrick - Scholes has been working so well up to this point? He's a good player, but not a great one, and he is coming off a broken leg. I'd rather see us sign a striker (assuming Larsson goes home in March) or a left winger, we'll have to replace Giggs sooner than Scholes IMO. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Carrick is the replacement for Scholes if anyone. We have been crying out for a box to box midfielder who can get stuck in for years now and that is why we are trying for Hargreaves and if we dont get him a similar player should be top of the shopping list.

Basically what you are saying is playing O'Shea in midfield is fine because its more important that we sign a forward because when all available and fit we only have Rooney, Saha, Solskjaer, Smith and Rossi for up front. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fletcher can fill in for Carrick or Scholes, O'Shea doesn't need to start in the middle unless there are two injuries. I feel Fletcher, our third central midfielder, is better than our third winger (Park) and that we could also use a striker because Larsson might be leaving in March, Rossi is out on loan and unproven, Ole is getting up there in age, and we ought to be doing better than Smith even when he is fully fit. But I would prefer a left winger above all to a central midfielder, especially one who is cup-tied in Europe, coming off a big injury, and quite expensive.

Anyhow I would be surprised if we signed Hargreaves this month or anyone else at all.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rcjuk:

It's been a year and a day since smudger got snapped in 8 icon_frown.gif

MON SMUDGER </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Happened in february didnt it?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by deanb291186:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rcjuk:

It's been a year and a day since smudger got snapped in 8 icon_frown.gif

MON SMUDGER </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Happened in february didnt it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, Feb 18th

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

We arent in a position to buy someone now and then go back for him in the summer and is anyone really going to let a good box to box midfielder join us on loan? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Who are some examples of box to box midfielders. icon_confused.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Statements like "we're better than them" are just pointless and arrogant. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

...and true

fwiw, i see where gonch is coming from. we shouldn't underestimate arsenal, it's an incredibly tough away game but why the excessive fear and pessimism? we're a damn good side at the minute, defensively good enough to cope with anyone when on form and the most potent attacking force in the league right now.

everyone's entitled to be pessimistic, but i don't see why anyone differing from what seems to have become the norm and showing some optimism and faith in the team should be labelled arrogant really.

Archived