The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ratinho:

Nah, it's a very Birmingham City thing. Much more fun when we had 38,000 and only the football fans could get in. SO polite back then. icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Haha EXACTLY, Birmingham are the exact club I associate with it, since they did it to Ole on his comeback last year.

Not really, his dynamism and tenacity in the middle of the park probably wouldnt made too much difference, unless giggsy was dropped and he played instead of him. Carrick didnt do a great deal but what he did was fine, defended well, kept possession well.

**** OFF 4 5 1

Yes. You could have left Giggs out and pushed Scholes into that position. If he's going to play this rubbish system, Scholes has to play there. Put Fletcher next to Carrick with no Hargreaves. Admittedly they are far from the same player, but if frees up Scholes to do what he does best

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

Hypothetical question time, would it have made any difference had Hargreaves played for us today? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not much, thought the midfield was sitting FAR too deep as it was and the centre backs were at fault for their goals anyway.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

Hypothetical question time, would it have made any difference had Hargreaves played for us today? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nah don't think so neither. Both of their goals came from the right wing and the defenders were at fault. Hargreaves theoretically shouldn't find himself in the areas from where the goals came today anyway.

I'd hope so, otherwise why would we be paying £20m+ for him? I'm still not totally convinced by the Carrick/Scholes partnership, I think it's just lacking somewhat against the very best sides.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coldberg:

I love how all match you could hear the Away fans & then the Henry winner goes in & it's 'WHO ARE YA' as loud & clear as anything icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I do love the smalltimers \o/ Sadly there wasn't a good rendition of the wasy chant icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Weststandred:

Anyone want to buy my ticket for Spurs?

Henry's goal was painful. icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i will if it can be turned into an adults?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Samamatara:

Rossi scored the winner for parma today btw.

Just to cheer you guys up icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Was posted on the previous page I think.

Still no harm in repeating it though icon14.gif

gah. genuinely allowed myself to believe we were in with a chance of winning the league again, pretty gutted now. thrown it away in about 8 minutes, albeit with some brilliant help from steve bennett.

wasn't happy with the formation or bench but it's hard to argue with the former when you're 1-0 up and really rather comfortable after 82/83 minutes. should clearly have had a freekick in the buildup to the equaliser as far as i'm concerned (and i'll take that back if a more sober watch of MOTD2 makes me change my mind), and without that equaliser they don't build up the head of steam that leads to the winner. only thing Fergie genuinely deserves criticism for is the substitution.

if anything, all that should have been done is giggs moved to the left, ronaldo more central, keep him away from the massive massive **** eboue and there's no danger of him going off. as it is, we give the **** licence to get forward and it kills us. the tactics before that baffled me (giggs off larsson? rooney infinitely preferable, or if you're worried about ronaldo's tracking back, stick giggs wide and play ronnie off henke ffs) but ultimately we were winning and not really under any kind of serious threat.

pretty grateful liverpool are 11 points back. second's pretty much safe.

Two homes games next against Pompey and Watford and i dont want to see Rooney anywhere near either squad. Its not just bad form now hes quite frankly holding us back now.

How many times can he get in a good position and then pick the wrong option. Yeah he scored an easy header and he'll work until he drops but he doesnt deserve to be anywhere near that team at this moment in time. Cant pass, cant shoot and that great footballing brain has gone A.W.O.L.

Ole and Saha to start against Pompey please.

I had the exact same thought during the match. I think his qualites at breaking up play would have suited a match like this perfectly. Their midfield became more increasingly in control as the match went on - I think he would make a telling difference.

The match was so so annoying but kind of predictable. Still, I'd have taken maintaining the six point gap before the weekend.

Also Evra was fantastic today icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

Two homes games next against Pompey and Watford and i dont want to see Rooney anywhere near either squad. Its not just bad form now hes quite frankly holding us back now.

How many times can he get in a good position and then pick the wrong option. Yeah he scored an easy header and he'll work until he drops but he doesnt deserve to be anywhere near that team at this moment in time. Cant pass, cant shoot and that great footballing brain has gone A.W.O.L.

Ole and Saha to start against Pompey please. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It wasn't an easy header tbh

He'll play in one or the other too.

If mnot Rooney then Henke and Saha tbh

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

Nick - what did Bennett do wrong? The only thing I could see wrong with him was booking Ronnie </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well i would say not giving Henry his penalty

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

I'm going to have the last laugh with Rossi because hes going to be a superstar. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just like Pique, but not at Man Utd though icon_frown.gif

I'm getting worried about Liverpool, their run-in is so easy. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't even think that Mr. Pessimism!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Manchester United striker Giuseppe Rossi had an immediate impact in his first game on loan at Parma by scoring in the 1-0 win over Torino.

Rossi, 19, struck in the 75th minute for Parma - the club United bought him from in July 2004.

The win moved Parma up a place to 18th - the final relegation spot.

Meanwhile, leaders Inter Milan clinched a 3-1 win over Fiorentina to extend their record of successive victories in Serie A to 13.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bagpuss:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

Nick - what did Bennett do wrong? The only thing I could see wrong with him was booking Ronnie </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well i would say not giving Henry his penalty </div></BLOCKQUOTE>that one in the first half where he colappsed with fear with Vidic in the vicinity? **** off. if that was ronaldo, drogba, etc everyone would have been howling 'dive' but not with st. thierry

I'm getting worried about Liverpool, their run-in is so easy. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't even think that Mr. Pessimism! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Look at their run in, how many points do you see them dropping?

generally incompetent, still convinced he's missed a clear foul from behind on Scholes in the build-up to RVP's goal, and aside from that, he books Giggs and Evra for very little while letting Arsenal players off with numerous shirt-tugs. Completely fell for Eboue's early theatrics as well.

Look at their run in, how many points do you see them dropping? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Honestly... I think we'll drop 6/7 points between now and the end of the season.

Asuming United lose at Anfield and Chelsea, you're still in a good position, still got to win at spurs, everton and portsmouth though... not done and dusted.

Look at their run in, how many points do you see them dropping? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is a favourable run in I must say, but we won't go on to win 12 or 13 out of our last 14 will we ??

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

generally incompetent, still convinced he's missed a clear foul from behind on Scholes in the build-up to RVP's goal, and aside from that, he books Giggs and Evra for very little while letting Arsenal players off with numerous shirt-tugs. Completely fell for Eboue's early theatrics as well. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd probably buy that. Henry could have been booked, he booked Toure for two fouls, but then not doing the same to Henry after he fouled Nev and then Heinze or Paddy on the far side shortly afterwards.

Not 100% sure on the Scholes foul in the buildup to their first, at first I thought the same as you, but after a second look thought it might have been as likely as a foul on Scholes as an obstruction by Scholes.

From an outside perspective I'd say you could get at least 10 wins, I guess points are always dropped unexpectedly and things happen that you don't expect, but I don't think it's ridiculous to suggest that you could go on a run.

Seriously speaking we really 11pts should be too much to gain, but you never know, beat us at Anfield and it's down to 8, and 8 last season was enough to get the BBB's of this thread thinking there was a title race on.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

i think Liverpool will finish within three points of us. we'll probably jammy a win in one of the tricky away games to just keep our noses in front of them.

Chelsea to win it by six or so anyway </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Chelsea are a mess, you lot will beat them down at Stamford Bridge. They have problems all over the pitch - never seen them play so poorly as they did yesterday. On their form they are in no way capable of winning 10 or so of their last 14 games.

Being really serious here - I think you lot will take the title by about 5 points from either us or Arsenal. Chelsea will fall away when teams realise they need to have a go at them.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

haw matt, shut the **** up ta icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Like you all told me to when I said that we would lose today?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jep:

i think Liverpool will finish within three points of us. we'll probably jammy a win in one of the tricky away games to just keep our noses in front of them.

Chelsea to win it by six or so anyway </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Chelsea are a mess, you lot will beat them down at Stamford Bridge. They have problems all over the pitch - never seen them play so poorly as they did yesterday. On their form they are in no way capable of winning 10 or so of their last 14 games.

Being really serious here - I think you lot will take the title by about 5 points from either us or Arsenal. Chelsea will fall away when teams realise they need to have a go at them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You don't see them picking up and putting themselves back together again once they actually have a defence?

Chelsea will be fine. their demise is being proper exaggerated - of their next five games, they have two home games against league 1/2 opposition, two home games against blackburn and boro and an away game at the valley. five wins there no question, in the course of which they get Terry back and Cech gets back up to speed.

wouldn't take 20-1 on us to win it now, frankly

From an outside perspective I'd say you could get at least 10 wins, I guess points are always dropped unexpectedly and things happen that you don't expect, but I don't think it's ridiculous to suggest that you could go on a run.

Seriously speaking we really 11pts should be too much to gain, but you never know, beat us at Anfield and it's down to 8, and 8 last season was enough to get the BBB's of this thread thinking there was a title race on. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well you have to factor in the relegation battle, and that its never easy playing these sides at the end of the season. Example would be last day of the season v Charlton at Anfield. If they need something to stay up they will fight like dogs, and if we aren't at 100% then we may drop some points.

So many twists and turns yet to come - its football ffs icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Young Jimlad:

We start dropping points and we're telling Chelsea that they can get back in it if they can just maintain some semblance of form. The only way to maintain this title challenge is to be as imperious as possible and deal with each fixture as they come up and not keep one eye on the prem while splitting our other eye between our European and FA Cup commitments. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Post from Jimlad a week ago, so, so true.

I just feel that Chelsea have had this poor period and that we haven't taken advantage at all, we should be 10pts ahead at least, and that we'll pay for it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jep:

So many twists and turns yet to come - its football ffs icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Speculating is what makes it fun though. icon_biggrin.gif

generally incompetent, still convinced he's missed a clear foul from behind on Scholes in the build-up to RVP's goal, and aside from that, he books Giggs and Evra for very little while letting Arsenal players off with numerous shirt-tugs. Completely fell for Eboue's early theatrics as well. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't remember that incident in the build up, so i can't comment. Even if their was one, i think it would simply distract from what was a poor performance which was at least partly down to Fergie yet again feeling the need to tinker with the formation when there was no need. Even then we were a goal up, and he has to go all Sven and try to defend with the substitution, which invited even more pressure.

We should have had the normal formation with Giggs wide and Rooney in the middle of a 4-4-2, we should have put Saha on much sooner as Larrson was pretty ineffective. Mostly not his fault as he got no service, and he was certainly working, but Saha dropping deeper and running at people should have been tried much earlier. And if we had to take Ronaldo off, we should have brought Fletcher on (where was Park?) rather than breaking up the back 4. When will managers learn that the theory of trying to tie up a game fails more than it works, especially if you don't have players and a team with that mentality already?

As for Bennett, he wasn't great, but my only real complaint was that maybe there should have been two more Arsenal bookings. Gigg's and Evra's were both fair enough, and i certainly didn't feel he had a significant effect on the game.

Archived