The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm with Nick on Steve Bennett's perfromance, fwiw, totally inconsistent and ridiculous decisions on the lead up to both of Arsenals goals.

I'm also close to adding Mika to my ignore list for his ridiculous comments over the last few pages. He might as well not support the club it is that bad.

On a serious note I stand by everything I've said so forgive me for not being convinced by the logic of:

"OMG BELIEVE WE WILL WIN TODAY"

We lost?

"BUT BELIEVE"

Hell, that's the approach of an England fan.

I thought that we stood a good chance of losing today = We did.

Imo we approached the game wrongly, have wasted another great opportunity to put some distance between ourselves and Chelsea. We have a tougher end to the season than the start and can't afford to keep letting these chances slip because you would think that they'll sort themselves out.

When it really matters we make the same mistakes and it's so frustrating to see us line up 4-5-1 when we all know before a ball has been kicked that it'll backfire.

If that's so ridiculous then hell I'd hate to be right.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Probably Illegal:

Title race ended now, Liverpool will win everything possible, a raft of injuries will leave us only able to field Richardson and O'Shea, who will also sign new 5 year contracts. A failed summer transfer window will see us bring in only Emile Heskey for £25m, revealling the Glazers true crippling debt - which will in turn cause us to sell the ground rights to the scouse oil consortium, who decide to rename the ground to "Anfield YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE Stadium". Man City will climb above us in the Euro rankings after relegating us from the Premiership in extra time, with a blatantly offside goal. MoTD will review the game with Alan Hansen saying "ABSOLUTELY DIABOCHLICAL" 3 million times before reassuring the viewers he was referring to Man United in general and not the offside decision, to which he gave "the benefit of the doubt" to who ever United were playing, the ****ing c**t. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I could live with that.

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif @ Acou's bunkbed remark.

On MOTD they had Man Utd winning easily, us 15 points behind in 3rd and Arsenal 1 behind us. Can't agree, unless Chelsea get back to the form they showed for the last 2 seasons very sharpish i'd be confident of us getting 2nd - as atm they're dead in the water.

When is the date of the Man Utd game at Anfield?

Hrm.

Well if we win every game between now and then, and you lose a couple between now and then... It will be interesting icon_cool.gif

Between now and then we have the 1st leg of the CL game, but in the league we have West Ham (A), Everton (H), Newcastle (A) and Sheff Utd (H). If we get maximum points out of them it'd be a huge feat IMO.

Call me giddy, but if we have closed the gap to say 7/8 points by March 3rd, and then beat you lot. Well... Things could get messy.

Though we also have Arsenal at home at the end of March. After that it's clear sailing on paper.

giddy giddy bindipper signing out.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DeafParrot:

I thought it was the 4th? Meh.

And Rob, Chelsea don't have a prem game for 10 days now, Carvalho back for it, possibly Terry to I guess. If they're both back, crisis over. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Correct me if i'm wrong, but they were well behind even before Terry got injured? His return is no guarentee of an instant return to invincibility.

I know i'm getting way ahead of myself, but i'm bored and avoiding work. Sue me.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DeafParrot:

I thought it was the 4th? Meh.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You never know with our official website tbf.

If you call 2 points well behind, then yes.

Its no surprise at all though that since he's been injured Chelsea have been shipping goals from all angles, and having to rely on their strikers getting more at the other end than they concede. Terry being back, even 80% fit, will be a huge boost to them. For starters, Essien can stop playing at centre back and be immense in the middle of the park again.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

Cech is back too, if he is as good as before, that's massive. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah true. Robben hardly out long term either. They need him so bad down the left.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

Cech is back too, if he is as good as before, that's massive. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah true. Robben hardly out long term either. They need him so bad down the left. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He's their only width really, SWP doesn't count. Never been convinced by their four MC's tactic, but Robben changes that.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

The whole 4-5-1 thing is baffling, has it ever worked? Ever? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rarely, what tends to happen is that we look totally devoid of scoring for 60mins, then the other team realises that, goes forward and nicks a late 1-0 winner, or it peters out into a 0-0, fun.

Yeah, but even with the likes of Cech and Terry back, they're still having to come from behind after being expected to win the league - it's a severe mental burden.

Man Utd, despite their premiership history, are still sort of seen as the under dog, it's simply a matter of holding their nerve. With seasoned pros like Giggs, Scholes and ratboy you'd think they will - but you never know.

Anything Liverpool do is just a bonus. I'm confident we'll have a very, very good run in from now and til the end of the season - but it's almost certainly too little, too late.

Even if you c**ts do win the league, atleast it should be interesting for a change.

Yeah true. Robben hardly out long term either. They need him so bad down the left. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He's their only width really, SWP doesn't count. Never been convinced by their four MC's tactic, but Robben changes that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

When Robben plays, Essien plays more as a winger on the other side. Still obviously cuts inside loads, leaving Geremi as the main wide outlet. They need Joe Cole fit and well, but surely he's back soon too?

He's their only width really, SWP doesn't count. Never been convinced by their four MC's tactic, but Robben changes that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

When Robben plays, Essien plays more as a winger on the other side. Still obviously cuts inside loads, leaving Geremi as the main wide outlet. They need Joe Cole fit and well, but surely he's back soon too? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cole is out for the season.

I guess one thing that will have a big bearing on is how the respective teams do in Europe, could be that an early exit will win someone the title, or at least help. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Us tactically letting Arsenal have the cups. wp us.

Though even the FA cup matches are completely without worth until the semi-final IMO, but that's for another thread.

If you offered me victories in the leaue over Man Utd and Arsenal in exchange for going out of the CL to Barca... I'd be tempted.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Moreclaw:

Though even the FA cup matches are completely without worth until the semi-final IMO, but that's for another thread.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So spot on. Utterly spot on.

That'd make the F1 thread interesting reading. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's up there with the reasons why I couldn't actually brinf myself to doing it.

On a serious note I stand by everything I've said so forgive me for not being convinced by the logic of:

"OMG BELIEVE WE WILL WIN TODAY"

We lost?

"BUT BELIEVE"

Hell, that's the approach of an England fan.

I thought that we stood a good chance of losing today = We did.

Imo we approached the game wrongly, have wasted another great opportunity to put some distance between ourselves and Chelsea. We have a tougher end to the season than the start and can't afford to keep letting these chances slip because you would think that they'll sort themselves out.

If that's so ridiculous then hell I'd hate to be right. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I do understand where you were coming from, as I never believed that we would win the match either. But your negativeness didn't just spring about from this match, it is in every thread involving us and every day in this one. It would just be nice to see some belief from you that we will win the league or even some want from you for it to happen.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

The whole 4-5-1 thing is baffling, has it ever worked? Ever? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rarely, what tends to happen is that we look totally devoid of scoring for 60mins, then the other team realises that, goes forward and nicks a late 1-0 winner, or it peters out into a 0-0, fun. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

When we first switched to using it consistently two seasons ago, we went 19 games unbeaten in the league, winning 15 of those.

I remain on a media blackout at present.

Having just looked at Liverpool's run-in, it's a piece of **** in comparison to ours. Genuinely getting a little scared.

SO important that we bounce back from this defeat very quickly. We've got a couple of winnable games before meeting another big gun, and they're absolute must-wins.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

Rarely, what tends to happen is that we look totally devoid of scoring for 60mins, then the other team realises that, goes forward and nicks a late 1-0 winner, or it peters out into a 0-0, fun. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

When we first switched to using it consistently two seasons ago, we went 19 games unbeaten in the league, winning 15 of those. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah but that 4-5-1 and this 4-5-1 are hardly the same.

This one is some wierd defensive formation that employs a forward on the left wing and Giggs in some kind of free floating position that just makes him look crap.

And in the odd chance we do look like winning things are quickly rectified with our best attackers coming off for defenders so we can invite even more pressure and the inevitable goal.

On the respective run ins, i just find it bizarre that people have a team winning virtually every game from now on when they've only managed 6 points out of the last 15. Overall i'd still have them as favourites, for the simple reason that they are dropping points while they have players out, while we are doing it at full strength, but even so i think it's a bit Mika to believe that they are suddenly going to hit top form immediately, even if they were back to full strength for the next game. And there are clearly other problems at the club that are more to do with personalities and failing relationships than injuries.

As for us, my biggest worry is that Fergie doesn't have enough faith in the team to go out and win playing our way, so he worries too much about stopping the opposition, and in doing so not only negates our main strengths more than those of the opposition, but also transmits a negative mindset to the players at the same time. Yesterday was in many ways the same outcome as the game at OT, in that while Arsenal were the better side in terms of posession etc, it felt it was more down to our own failings that we lost than being beaten by a superior side.

Given how many potentially tough away games we've got coming up, my biggest worry is that we'll cost ourselves more points by being too negative and moving away from doing the things that have given us this lead in the first place. If we're to look at one performance that should be the model for the rest of our season, it should be Bolton away. A potentially tough away game, not against top 4 opponents but against a team with a superb home record, and one of the toughest places to go. We played our own game instead of worrying about what they were going to do, and blew them away. And i'm convinced that that's as much down to the psychology of sending players out with the mentally of letting the opposition worry about them, rather than vice-versa.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

When we first switched to using it consistently two seasons ago, we went 19 games unbeaten in the league, winning 15 of those. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah but that 4-5-1 and this 4-5-1 are hardly the same.

This one is some wierd defensive formation that employs a forward on the left wing and Giggs in some kind of free floating position that just makes him look crap.

And in the odd chance we do look like winning things are quickly rectified with our best attackers coming off for defenders so we can invite even more pressure and the inevitable goal. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They're not that different. Rooney and Ronaldo play a bit wider and a bit deeper, with Giggs a bit further forward, but the differences are minimal.

However, I wasn't making a case for using it, i was merely answering the question. I quite agree with the points you've made there.

id resigned myself to defeat before the game and so was only semi dsitraught. its more the manner of the defeat than defeat itself. im more concerned that confidence will crumble at the whole missed opportunity thing than anything else but i felt that way after the chelsea game and weve not really slipped up big time since then.

just making things so hard on ourselves, could be so so far ahead right now. keeps it interesting i suppose. plus there are positives with chelsea failing to make up the ground and rooney getting a goal at last. straw clutching icon_cool.gif

im just yet to see any 'evidence' that says this could be our year. usually there are defining moments in a season that you look back on and think, 'we won it there', or 'that goal was crucial' but all those kind of moments seem to be going against us - (2 late chelsea goals v everton then us losing to west ham/random geordie teenage **** edgar with first and probably last goal ever to give them a draw/2 late goals conceded yesterday.)

these kind of moments going against us just make me feel it we are in for disappointment this season, which would be heartbreaking. in the last 5 minutes after van persie's goal i felt a winner was coming and i kept thinking that its time for us to show our mettle as champions. unfortunately it went the other way.

So yesterday, that was a tad crushing wasn’t it?

I can see what Fergie thought he was doing in the final moments with Heinze and Evra down the left, but when they clearly scored the winner from the exact thing he was trying to prevent its just pointless. I’m more annoyed with van Persie’s because that was more preventable if we hadn’t engaged in a two-on-two scramble (where was a third or fourth man to back them up when it turned into that?) for the ball on the floor and GNev hadn’t slowed up as he followed the direction of the ball as it missed Rio/Henry. As for the second, well Evra was clearly tired by the time Eboue burst past him for the cross, and Rio & Vidic both went to sleep a bit to allow Henry to drift off them. Looking at it again more the former than the latter as far as AFFG goes.

That being said, while we didn’t play great, but we didn’t play badly either, despite the questionable set-up of the team. Both teams had good spells. I agree however with what’s been said about lining up to contain rather than worry Arsenal. And as for Rooney out left/right – I can only assume that it’s a physical issue, i.e. that he was out there because Giggs doesn’t have the legs to track Eboue/Clichy if they break, but Rooney’s condition allows him to.

However this is clearly faulty thinking given that (A) he’s not a winger and therefore his attacking threat is negated heavily & (B) him being so clearly out of form makes it even less likely that he’ll be effective – and outside the goal, he wasn’t. If he has to play him and Giggs can’t track one of their full-backs effectively, then why not play Fletcher on the right and have Ronaldo on the left? Or Park on the left and Ronaldo on the right? And if he could have chosen the former rather than the latter is there not a case to play Gabby rather than Evra to give some defensive security. That however is just a question and not a knock on Paddy btw since he was probably our best player yesterday in my eyes. Carrick probably my number two. In fact, yes…

MOM: Patrice Evra – defensive and offensive effectiveness.

2ND: Michael Carrick – composure in the middle on a day where Scholesy was slightly off.

Honourable mention for Larsson due to the work he put in and for that header that Lehmann saved at the end of the first half. That said since he was clearly tiring Saha should have been brought on 10-15 minutes earlier than he was. Everyone else was generally fine without being extraordinary in any way – Ronny closest to those three probably. I think Giggs has been admonished a bit heavily by some of you by the way. Yes he’s less effective when pushed inside and advanced (rather than playing in the slightly deeper current-Scholes role which, lest we forget, he didn’t do badly in towards the end of last season), as much of a victim of tactics as Rooney arguably, but on occasion he did provide a useful outlet and pose a threat from the middle as we broke.

Anyway, it was disappointing not to go nine clear (though there are points we’ve dropped recently that should have us near that already) but I think it was Mark who made a good point about Chelsea not being able to get back up to top form immediately as soon as their injured players get back. Though in saying that I think it’s a tad ominous that Mourinho has abandoned his 41212 for his 433 formation which suits them much better really as far as grinding out results goes. I know they lost on Saturday starting with that, but against lesser teams and with Makelele/Essien they will boss the middle of the park again.

Also, its not like those who are looking at each team’s respective fixture lists are wrong when they’re saying that it could be a lot tighter than the current table suggests. Winning the league is still doable but regardless of having a handful of experienced campaigners, there are a lot of younger and less mentally used to winning players in our squad, and since confidence is key, I can’t but help feel we’ve missed a psychological beat here more than anything.

Anyway, a bit of moderate rotation for the Pompey & Watford games please and big effort for the game at WHL.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ryno:

I do understand where you were coming from, as I never believed that we would win the match either. But your negativeness didn't just spring about from this match, it is in every thread involving us and every day in this one. It would just be nice to see some belief from you that we will win the league or even some want from you for it to happen. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have no belief that we'll win the league though, I haven't from day one because ultimately I believe that Chelsea are stonger than us. I'm not just going to pretend that I do believe it when I don't. If we had won yesterday then maybe I'd have let the thought enter my mind but as it is I just can't see us hanging on.

Archived