The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Blaine:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Weststandred:

The score of that fa cup game has been bugging me all day. icon13.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

4-1

http://red11.org/mufc/ShowAllResultsAgainstOpponent.do </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ta Blaine.

Anyone got any ideas of how many fans they'll bring this time? I think they only sold around 2,000 for the league game this season, they won't bring anything like the number Villa/West Ham have done in recent times that's for sure.

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

In 1992 he scored 30 goals

In 1993 he scored 20 goals

In 1994 he scored 31 goals

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In 1995 he scored 26 goals

In 1996 there was the incident with the pigeon

In 1997 he scored 9 goals...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

Ruud scored a couple of penalties that day didn't he? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yup, the first after 4 minutes and the other with 10 minutes to go.

Work have given me shifts its going to be too difficult to swap and that I can't afford to ditch on Saturday and Wednesday so Pompey and Watford are out of the question for me.

Probably saves me £100 or so for tickets and travel but I didn't expect to get shafted with such badly timed shifts. Especially on Saturday. Gonna have to Sky+ the game and somehow manage to avoid the score icon_frown.gif. At least Watford isn't on and I'll be home in time for highlights.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

Ruud scored a couple of penalties that day didn't he? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

:*)

Michael Stewart arrogantly jumping on him to celebrate still amuses me.

yeah, his 'we won't make that mistake again' claim, no matter how sternly put, doesn't really ring true when you see how often we've made things awkward for ourselves in that way and just refused to learn from it.

Hargreaves would make a huge difference in that regard. if we can't get him, i still say Fletch should be utilised more in those kind of games.

anyway, this is all irrelevant. i've realised today that i didn't follow my usual pre-match ritual of listening to i am the resurrection on sunday - every time i've forgotten to this season we've lost/drawn icon_frown.gif

so blame me, but i won't make that mistake again, no question about that </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wore my Heinze shirt for both Arsenal games & we lost both icon_frown.gif

Only two games we have ever lost when I wore that shirt.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

The minute Ronnie went off it allowed Eboue to go forward. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This point has kinda got overlooked, think it's utterly crucial personally. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The key in that situation is to maintain an attacking threat. It makes defenders think twice about joining in as they know they have to cover. If they do join in, it leaves space to be exploited in an attempt to get a second goal to kill the game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think that kinda covers it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Blaine:

just browsing ebay and came across this interesting item...

link here </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bobby Charlton once remarked that our (Shamrock Rovers') old ground had one of the best surfaces in Europe icon14.gif Pity the club doesn't have 25,000 spare to spend on getting that back to us, would be an interesting addition to the trophy cabinet. Could United fine Richardson a weeks wages, buy us the plate and donate it to us please? Cheers

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

This point has kinda got overlooked, think it's utterly crucial personally. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The key in that situation is to maintain an attacking threat. It makes defenders think twice about joining in as they know they have to cover. If they do join in, it leaves space to be exploited in an attempt to get a second goal to kill the game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think that kinda covers it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

you expect me to read your marathon efforts? icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

I think that kinda covers it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

you expect me to read your marathon efforts? icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought they my posts were considered standard since Jimlad boosted the average post length to new heights?

We use a bit more sophistication than your standard arithmetic mean to take an average length of post. Jimlad skews it too much. I'd suggest a truncated or weighted mean approach. Even normalised if I had the time.

You write a lot, is I guess the main point I'm trying to get across.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

We use a bit more sophistication than your standard arithmetic mean to take an average length of post. Jimlad skews it too much. I'd suggest a truncated or weighted mean approach. Even normalised if I had the time.

You write a lot, is I guess the main point I'm trying to get across. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Its not just that he writes a lot though is it? What you’re saying is that Mark still writes a lot.

This being the case even though his posts have seemingly reduced in size not only in relation to some of his previous contributions, but markedly when compared to certain contributions of my own. All in all he’s still somewhat further away from achieving a more moderate posting length that would be more acceptable/uniform to the average trends associated with the posting lengths that the majority of material submitted by other regular thread users account for. And thus being the factor that skews the average posting length that has facilitated Marks delusions of posting brevity my posts are clearly further from the “happy medium†than his.

And I know that this post proves Ali's point when you consider the other alternative ways that I could have responded but its 2am, I’m bored, and it was informative to briefly acquaint myself with the various types of averages that Ali detailed. So I decided to break it down further...good god I really don't need to be awake right now. Night anyone who's still around.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Ferguson's resolve comes under pressure as clubs queue for Rossi

Daniel Taylor

Wednesday January 24, 2007

The Guardian

Giuseppe Rossi's future at Manchester United has come into doubt after it emerged that several of Italy's leading clubs were investigating whether Sir Alex Ferguson could be persuaded to sell the talented 19-year-old attacker.

Rossi is currently on loan at Parma and, having marked his debut in Serie A by scoring a splendid winner against Torino on Sunday, his agent Andrea Pastorello said that Milan, Juventus, Roma and Internazionale had all inquired about the teenager's potential availability, while Barcelona are also said to have registered an interest.

That may alarm Ferguson but it is unlikely to surprise him given how highly he rates Rossi, who struggled to make much of an impact during a loan spell at Newcastle earlier this season. Ferguson has spoken about Rossi being an integral part of United's future and the Old Trafford hierarchy have repelled a number of potential buyers over the last year. "They have great faith in Giuseppe and turned down a £4.2m bid before the season started," said Pastorello. "I'm grateful to United and we will never clash. But in terms of his characteristics, I think Rossi is more suited to the Italian game and that's why we rejected a loan to another English club [after his spell at Newcastle]. He is at Parma now and he has a chance to shine."

Ferguson's problem may be keeping Rossi happy when his loan deal expires at the end of the season. By then Henrik Larsson will have returned to Sweden but United will have Louis Saha, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and Wayne Rooney vying for places in attack. Alan Smith is still on the scene, despite playing only a minimal part since recovering from a broken leg, and Ferguson is widely expected to bring in another established striker. His priority remains to sign the midfielder Owen Hargreaves from Bayern Munich. However, Bayern's manager, Felix Magath, indicated that no one would be leaving the German club in this window.

With all that to consider, Rossi is contemplating whether he would be better off staying at Old Trafford or moving to another club where he might stand a better chance of playing more regularly. "We have had contact with Barcelona," Pastorello confirmed. "But I repeat that it will not be easy to take him away from Manchester United." Asked about a possible fee, he replied: "They've already said no to £4.2m, which is no small fee by today's standards."

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What defines a 'youngster'? Because we've had Ronaldo since he was 18, can't have had Rossi all that much longer. And Ronaldo's fairly good iirc. It's by the by anyway. I think it's increasingly looking like Fergie doesn't rate him, or at least not as a future starter for us. Contrast the number of games Fletcher started at a similar time in his career.

And Jimlad icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

What defines a 'youngster'? Because we've had Ronaldo since he was 18, can't have had Rossi all that much longer. And Ronaldo's fairly good iirc. It's by the by anyway. I think it's increasingly looking like Fergie doesn't rate him, or at least not as a future starter for us. Contrast the number of games Fletcher started at a similar time in his career.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Youngster that hasnt just been bought to go into the first team.

Comparing him with a Scottish player is daft. icon_wink.gif

In all honesty, like with a lot of things these days, i just dont think Fergie has the ******** anymore.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

Well, if Fergie thinks you can't (or he doesn't want to) play Rossi and Rooney (or Scholes) in the same team, then there isn't much of an option other than to move him on if we get a good offer? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Surely he is the ideal player to replace Rooney? Injured/Suspended/In need of a rest we can just bring in Rossi as a like for like.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

fine, assuming Rossi would accept that...and why would be when there are meant to be teams of the quality of Barca / Milan after him? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rossi is 19 and must realise that at a top team he is going to have start by being a back up player.

I can understand any frustrations he has about a lack of games with us but i wouldnt expect him to walk into any other of the big sides and play everygame.

Although he might make quicker progress as they arent as physical so managers wont be as worried about his size.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ajw2255:

even if rossi goes to barca or milan he wont play any more than he would at man u so i dont see the point of him moving tbh </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

why not? They don't have Rooney? They don't play the same systems. They don't have the same manager? There's every chance he could get more games at another club if the manager has faith in him and wants to play a system that includes him.

For me, his problem at United is that he's too like Rooney. I don't think Fergie sees the two of them playing together...and I don't think Rossi would be willing playing 2nd fiddle. If I were him it'd be worth the risk of moving.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ryno:

It would be a shame to see Rossi go as I can see him playing on the left side of a 4-2-3-1 formation. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well talented left wing/forwards are difficult to come, and from what I've seen he'd be more effective starting wide than Rooney is. Although Taz and others would probably argue that he's a deep-lying centre forward and leave it at that. Though if Scholesy can adapt then I see no reason, given that he's pretty nippy as well, that Rossi couldn't operate in a similar way to, and this has just stuck in my head since he was mentioned the other day, how Del Piero played in his early Juve days.

Having Saha/Torres/Huntelaar feed off Rossi/Rooney/Ronaldo with Hargreaves and Carrick sitting behind in about 2 years time doesn't sound too bad to me. When FM is patched and I get round to installing it I might just give that a go.

Mika adding yet further lies to his location icon13.gif

Seriously Mika, which would you rather. United win the league or Hendry win the World Championship again? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hendry's a better centre back than Silvestre.

yep, going to Spurs. Taking BBB along for the ride.

have you got a ticket then? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Martin, whatever he says about why he chose you for the ticket, remember Gillian Taylforth.

Mika adding yet further lies to his location icon13.gif

Seriously Mika, which would you rather. United win the league or Hendry win the World Championship again? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jesus don't put me on the spot like that.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Weststandred:

Yup - upper tier block 46, I can't wait for it, i've never been to White Hart Lane before. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

not sure where are tickets are, not actually seen them yet. It's a decent enough ground. Not the easiest to get to (how are coming down?) and the away section is in one corner split between two tiers so it's hard to create an atmosphere.

Archived