The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

Mika adding yet further lies to his location icon13.gif

Seriously Mika, which would you rather. United win the league or Hendry win the World Championship again? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jesus don't put me on the spot like that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If the answer's Hendry, then I've got more respect for Kieran Richardson than I have for you...

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

I vote that we kick the scouse sympathiser OUT. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now now do I have to quote your texts/posts from the game at the weekend?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

yep, going to Spurs. Taking BBB along for the ride.

have you got a ticket then? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Martin, whatever he says about why he chose you for the ticket, remember Gillian Taylforth. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

he tried to palm the ticket off on me yesterday. clearly running scared icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">NORTHERN Ireland U17 international Craig Cathcart has been named in the 20-strong squad to represent Europe in the UEFA/CAF Meridian Cup.

The young player from Newtownabbey, currently at Manchester United, will be in Europe’s U18 side when they play Africa in a two-legged match. The two matches will be played on Tuesday 27 February and Thursday 1 March in Barcelona, Spain.

The Team will be headed by UEFA’s Technical Director, Andy Roxburgh along with the following European Coaching Staff who are experienced and well-known national youth team coaches from Spain – Head Coach Iñaki Sáez and two assistant Coaches Ginés Meléndez and Juan Santisteban.

U17 Manager Kenny Shiels had nothing but praise for the young defender: ‘I am delighted for Craig as he has shown tremendous progress in the two seasons he has played for our U17s. He captained the side in our qualification games and also in the Elite Stage in Holland 2006.

"I am confident that Craig can continue his development towards U21 and senior international status. To represent Europe is an enormous accolade both for Craig and Northern Ireland. This is a measure of the talent that is coming through our process and testament to the commitment and effort of his coaches at Greenisland Boys Club."

IFA President and UEFA Youth and Amateur Committee Chairman Jim Boyce is delighted for Craig: "We will have the best young players in Europe playing against the best young players in Africa in Barcelona’s Camp Nou - it will make for some very interesting football. I’m looking forward to the matches and watching Craig play-it is a great honour for him and Northern Ireland." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

quite an honour that. wp Craig

yeah, a fair bit. made his reserve debut aged 16 last season and looked instantly at home, very promising. only areas he's lacking in are typical of young defenders and will come with experience hopefully.

we seem to have a bit of a quality centre-half production line going atm. could do with a few less of them and a few more wingers/strikers really.

Chin up lads icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Stuart Mathieson in the MEN

Wednesday, January 24, 2007

'SIR Alex Ferguson and his side may not be the only Old Trafford winners from the possible meltdown at Chelsea - the Glazers may also earn some brownie points into the bargain.

When Russian oil billionaire Roman Abramovich wiped out Chelsea's £80m debt in June 2003 and let managers Claudio Ranieri and then Jose Mourinho dip into the contents of his vast wallet almost everybody in football wanted a sugar daddy.

The richest man in Russia, and the 11th richest in the world, with an estimated fortune of around £40bn and prepared to bankroll the building of a successful side, seemed ideal.

Smashing any football transfer record was going to be a drop in the ocean for someone awash with that kind of dosh.

Someone with loads of cash who just turns up on match day, smiles embarrassingly in the directors box, watches the game, says `yes' to any player the manager fancies and then goes home. How good is that?

Never mind the damage to the competitive nature of English football and harm to the transfer market, Chelsea fans were in raptures.

When you haven't won the League title since 1955 and it's virtually bought for you it was a case of `don't look a gift horse in the mouth' down on the King's Road.

Around the country there were thousands of green-eyed fans moaning about Chelsea but secretly wishing Abramovich had chosen their club as his plaything.

A proportion of United's support saw past the rolling pound signs in people's eyes and were glad that Abramovich didn't turn his attention to Old Trafford. He wouldn't have been welcome even if he'd brought Ronaldinho with him.

Even less welcome was an American who plunged the club into immediate debt.

Malcolm Glazer and his family's relationship with the fans has been decidedly hostile in some quarters and, at best, an uncomfortable one. They split the Reds support.

Some left for FC United and some stayed but remain anti-Glazer.

Those who vigorously opposed the Florida millionaire buying United were not hate-fuelled because they believed the recluse would suddenly be nipping over the Atlantic and barging in on Sir Alex Ferguson's team talks. Their concerns were deeper than that.

Nevertheless, there were fears from the `wait and see' brigade who were prepared to reluctantly take a step back and monitor the Glazer influence at the club.

Some of their worries centred on the possibility of Malcolm Glazer or his more active sons Joel, Bryan or Avram meddling with on-field affairs when they got their feet under the table. They imagined a video conference link from Tampa Bay to Old Trafford every week where the Yanks demanded that Gabriel Heinze should play instead or Patrice Evra, or Wayne Rooney should be dropped because he hadn't scored.

Or perhaps chief executive David Gill's phone would be ringing and a Glazer would say `go and buy so and so from Barcelona or Milan and tell Fergie that Paul Scholes should make way for him!

`Oh and by the way tell Mr Ferguson that we are sending over a couple of coaches to help him out and if he doesn't like it then he can start using his bus pass because we'll get somebody in who will agree to our ideas.'

But there has been little sign of the family in any of the corridors at Old Trafford, let alone those leading to the dressing room on a match day.

The reclusive family have largely remained just that on the football front although increased ticket prices and staff redundancies are another story.

The concerns harboured about the Glazers are coming home to roost at Stamford Bridge.

Abramovich has gradually been appointing his own men on the backroom staff. Allegedly it was he who wanted misfit Andriy Shevchenko and not Mourinho.

The spectre of Guus Hiddink, who Abramovich helped get the Russian international job, is now hanging over the Special One who has brought two Premiership titles to a previously non-achieving outfit.

The sugar daddy is starting to leave a bitter taste at the Bridge.

The Glazers' PR machine couldn't have done a better job of improving their acceptability rating.' </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

some sensational journalism there. as someone on RI put it...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">So, because Chelsea might conceivably get ****ed in a somewhat different way to that in which United are unarguably getting ****ed, that reflects well on the ****er who's ****ing us?

Get ****ed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I guess the MEN are trying to provide a pro-Glazer slant as they do cover FCUM very well and also launched a fan's campaign today.

There was the story last year when they were threatened by United with removal of access etc. that was in Redissue at the time. I think it was said that it was Di Law (might be wrong) who made the threat to the journalist who asked an FC United question to Fergie.

From what I recall, it was Stuart Mathieson who asked the question - he has also wrote this article...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

Seriously Mika, which would you rather. United win the league or Hendry win the World Championship again? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You've truly disgraced yourself on this page Mika icon13.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

blimey, the unthinkable has happened - success in an away ballot \O/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

awesome where for? please be lille?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

You've truly disgraced yourself on this page Mika icon13.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Being diverse enough to have a strong interest in more than one sport is nothing to be ashamed of icon_cool.gif

Probably posted. cba to check. apathy ftw.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Manchester United captain Gary Neville has backed Blackburn manager Mark Hughes as a viable contender to replace Sir Alex Ferguson when he finally leaves Old Trafford.

Neville played with a clutch of one-time United players now in management but has named Hughes as the most suited to following in the Scot's footsteps.

Ferguson performed a U-turn in 2002 after claiming he would retire at the end of the 2001/02 season and instead signed a new deal with the club.

Although there is no fixed date for his departure at the moment, the speculation over his successor is never far away and Neville's backing is sure to put Hughes' name firmly back in the frame.

The England full-back told the Daily Mirror: "Playing with the likes of Bryan Robson and Steve Bruce you always thought they'd go on to be managers.

"Some may have thought one of them would be our next manager but I certainly didn't think Sparky [Hughes] would be a manager yet out of the three.

"He's probably now the most outstanding candidate for it.

"He really seems to have taken to to management."

Neville, an influential figure in the United dressing room, is also pleased that Ferguson stayed with the Red Devils after his initial retirement plans.

"Sven [Goran-Eriksson] was mentioned a few years ago when our manager was talking about retiring.

"You think back now to the choices being talked about and they would have been disastrous." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Being the most outstanding former United player currently managing is somewhat faint praise methinks. But it IS a viable option, and if / when Fergie retires / snuffs it he'd probably be well up there. You'd just pray he didn't turn into a Souness / Hoddle figure, and tarnish our memories of him.

90 FA Cup final icon_cool.gif

91 CWC final icon_cool.gif

Scoring against Palace in 93 icon_cool.gif

94 semi final against Oldham icon_cool.gificon_cool.gificon_cool.gif

Not to mention shedloads of icon_cool.gif goals.

While we are on Sparky, whats your favourite Sparky goal?

He scored some important goals and some great goals for us but the one i always show to people when i mention Sparky is that stunning goal in the 5-1 drubbing City gave us.

Although his second against Barcelona in the 91 CWC final when everything thinks hes gone too wide is also a classic.

The last minute match saving volley against Oldham in the FA cup semi has to be up there.

I think the best he ever scored purely on technique was for Wales against Spain. Similar to the one against City, but higher, further out, and with more power.

As for him being manager one day, he's progressing well, but he's nowhere near there yet. As far as i'm concerned the fact he's a former player should have no bearing on it, and if you took that factor out and judged him purely on his managreial record you wouldn't consider him yet. As far as i'm concerned, ranking managers more highly because they're former players is akin to ranking managers for the national team more highly because they're english. The advantages are very minor, and for me should only be looked at in the event of two otherwise pretty equal candidates.

That one that smacked in off the underside of the bar. Against Wednesday was it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was thinking of that one as well. That was when we hit 5 against them, wasn't it?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

And I'd take Hughes over the inevitable Queroiz. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, but that's like saying you'd take O'Shea at leftback over Richardson. Hardly a glowing endorsement, is it?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Bayern Munich president Franz Beckenbauer claims Michael Ballack made a mistake in joining Chelsea and should have moved to Manchester United.

Ballack's £130,000 per week deal is thought to make him the world's highest paid player, but the 30-year-old has failed to shine at Stamford Bridge.

"I can't see a place for him at Chelsea. He'd have been better off at United," said Beckenbauer.

"The game passes him by. Frank Lampard is stronger and takes his position."

Ballack joined Chelsea after leading Germany to the World Cup semi-finals on home soil.

Bayern were unable to compete with Chelsea and prevent the German captain from leaving when his contract expired.

The introduction of Ballack and Andriy Shevchenko has been blamed for unbalancing Chelsea's system in the wake of the Premiership champions' inconsistent form.

Likewise, Ballack has had to slot into Chelsea's midfield instead of being their hub, as he is in the German national team.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

isnt this the same beckenbauer that said last season we were finished and why would anyone want to join us??

That one that smacked in off the underside of the bar. Against Wednesday was it?

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah that was one of my favorites aswell.

I think his goal for Wales against Spain would top my list of Sparky's goals.

Archived