The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thats absolutely ******** mart, he isnt worth paying 17mill upfront plus 4 million in add ons, or what ever the banded figure around was! Even if the glazers were here we wouldnt have paid that much up front as it isnt a realistic representation of his value. As much as he is wanted by Fergie there is no point paying stupendous over the top amounts because bayern are playing hard ball negotiating.

For every player we buy its always dependant on amount of appearances they make for us, if any trophy's are won, international success. Just because we need him doesnt mean should be ****ed in the arse to sign him, just bad business. You cant blame the glazers for us taking acceptable business steps to try and sign him, other wise we will just end up as bad as Chelsea paying way over the odds (although you could argue we already do).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">all because we won't, sorry can't afford to pay upfront and want to spread the payments over the next decade. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

tbh we've done for quite a few years when making big signings. Rio, Ruud, Veron, Rooney et al have all been done like that, so its nothing new.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

What season was Celio Silva linked to us? was it 97/98? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was after Le Tournoi, summer '97.

In fact, I'm pretty sure we signed him but he had his work permit application refused, so we just bought Berg instead.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Ronnie and Louis back to face Watford

Sir Alex Ferguson is optimistic that he will be able to name both Cristiano Ronaldo and Louis Saha in his squad for Wednesday's game against Watford.

The attacking duo missed Saturday's FA Cup triumph over Portsmouth but Ferguson is confident he will be able to call on the influential duo in midweek.

Ronaldo was in attendance at Old Trafford at the weekend having returned from a mini-break in Dubai, which was taken on the instruction of his manager, after the Scottish tactician noticed fatigue in his display against Arsenal.

While Ferguson was always planning to take Ronaldo out of the firing line, Saha was pulled out of the reckoning late on after picking up a minor knee injury on Friday in training.

"Cristiano played in the third-placed play-off for Portugal at the World Cup in Germany and he has been playing for us all season," he said.

"We have been looking at ways to preserve the players and felt this was a great time to give him a week's holiday.

"He has enjoyed it and hopefully we will get the benefit of it in the weeks ahead.

"Louis got a kick on the back of the knee in training. It is nothing really, just bruising. He will be okay for Wednesday."

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good result yesterday, better game than the one verses Villa (pretty annoyed I had to work now), decent controlled performance for the most part, and one fantastic finish from the Roon. Not read anyone else’s posts yet so this is just general ramblings.

Carrick was our best player in the first half for me, though he was less involved in the second. JSP was bright all game, it’s a pity his end product wasn’t there (and that Larsson’s goal was unduly ruled out – that was his chip in right?). Rio was our best defensive performer for me. Vidic should have been given a goal – unlucky big man. Everyone else generally fine, no complaints really. Still not wholly sure about TK as a viable first choice GK, but then how can you really tell from so few outings.

Rooney coming did change the game, but in more of a fresh legged threat way than him pulling the game away from a negative direction into a positive one. We were on top and I think that Ole and Henke had given them plenty to worry about so that when Wayne came on it tipped it over the edge rather than salvaging a poor performance or anything. Yes he got on the end of the first and his second was beautiful but that doesn’t mean he’s “backâ€. Lets see him really perform for 90 minutes before throwing out hyperbole. It should have been 2-0 before he came on anyway (I still can’t believe that Larsson’s wasn’t allowed – one of the most glaring linesman errors I’ve seen for a long time). Doesn’t mean I’m not grateful for his contribution though.

Hanging off on MOMs though because I’m not convinced about anyone yet and I need to see their goal again before any AFFG claim can be made.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

The Rooney love does drive me nuts though, before hes even done anything hes hailed as great and brilliant and the best player in the world no matter how bad of form hes in.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He's obviously a special talent who's had a run of indifferent form. Why shouldn't the crowd make him aware of their love for him regardless of his form? It may not make a difference, but it's more likely to help him and take the pressure of him than indifference or booing would, so i don't see the problem.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

The Rooney love does drive me nuts though, before hes even done anything hes hailed as great and brilliant and the best player in the world no matter how bad of form hes in.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He's obviously a special talent who's had a run of indifferent form. Why shouldn't the crowd make him aware of their love for him regardless of his form? It may not make a difference, but it's more likely to help him and take the pressure of him than indifference or booing would, so i don't see the problem. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rooney is a special talent and i have no problems with the crowd cheering him at all, we should be supporting our own. Its the BBC love that refuses to even admit that Rooney isnt at his best or that other Man Utd players have had a bigger impact on a game that gets on my tits.

Take MOTD for example, Rooney has been in poor form for a long while now and scores one wonder goal and nows he had a bigger impact on Man Utd than Cantona and is in top form for England.

Jimlad it was Nev who chipped the ball through to Larsson for his brilliant finish that was given offside.

Rossi starts for Parma away at Milan. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cheers. TBF I had to avoid the result since I was at work yesterday and didn't watch it until this morning at 6am - needed to get it out the way otherwise I'd have no chance of avoiding the score - and I fell asleep right after so some of the details are bound to be fuzzy.

Park was Park, energy good running and good touches pretty much completely offset by zero end product.

I can see why people like him due to his attitude etc, i do myself. But in terms of what he brings to the team, i've seen nothing to change my opinion that he's a decent squad player, but no more. And as Giggs's form slips again, we still lack someone who i'd be happy to bring in as a regular in his place if he can't get back to how he played in the autumn.

One other point on Park. I'm also a little surprised how he's given so much leeway when his end product is worse than Ronaldo's ever was, given the criticism he received.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He's obviously a special talent who's had a run of indifferent form. Why shouldn't the crowd make him aware of their love for him regardless of his form? It may not make a difference, but it's more likely to help him and take the pressure of him than indifference or booing would, so i don't see the problem. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rooney is a special talent and i have no problems with the crowd cheering him at all, we should be supporting our own. Its the BBC love that refuses to even admit that Rooney isnt at his best or that other Man Utd players have had a bigger impact on a game that gets on my tits.

Take MOTD for example, Rooney has been in poor form for a long while now and scores one wonder goal and nows he had a bigger impact on Man Utd than Cantona and is in top form for England. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah right, i thought you were talking about the "Rooney" chants.

One other point on Park. I'm also a little surprised how he's given so much leeway when his end product is worse than Ronaldo's ever was, given the criticism he received. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

For me Park actually looks to do the right things, sure he doesn't always get it right and panics a lot but his general play is fine. When Ronaldo was at his worst, thinking of the first half of 04/05 and 05/06, he did things that were so obviously not going to work and took countless ridiculous shots on that always ended up miles over. For me that was a lot more frustrating to watch.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ericcantona7:

I'm pretty sure it was Park. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was Neville. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

it must've been Park who played him through for the offside that he missed then, I thought it was the other way around.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

One other point on Park. I'm also a little surprised how he's given so much leeway when his end product is worse than Ronaldo's ever was, given the criticism he received. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

For me Park actually looks to do the right things, sure he doesn't always get it right and panics a lot but his general play is fine. When Ronaldo was at his worst, thinking of the first half of 04/05 and 05/06, he did things that were so obviously not going to work and took countless ridiculous shots on that always ended up miles over. For me that was a lot more frustrating to watch. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But regardless of all that, he created far more in terms of chances and goals, either for others or himself, than Park ever has. And i'm talking per minute on the pitch, not just overall.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

I'm not saying that he didn't but watching Ronaldo at the start of last season playing the way he was, to me watching that it was far more frustrating than say watching Park yesterday. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Park doesnt have the ability to do the things Ronaldo can so i guess it is going to be more frustrating seeing Ronaldo not doing those things where as when Park doesnt you werent expecting it anyway.

Jimlad it was Nev who chipped the ball through to Larsson for his brilliant finish that was given offside.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Certainly was.

I'm not saying that he didn't but watching Ronaldo at the start of last season playing the way he was, to me watching that it was far more frustrating than say watching Park yesterday. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just seems like double standards to me. At the end of the day, you've got two players who's primary job is to create chances, and who's secondary job is to score goals. And even taking the Ronaldo of last season for the comparison, you've got the player who does that significantly better out of the two getting huge criticism, and the other getting MOTM and "Park is fffffb" for games like yesterday when he missed two sitters and failed to create a single goalscoring chance that i can remember from a number of promising situations.

I'm not saying he's awful, he does lots of things well, it's just he's nowhere near worthy of the level of praise he gets from some quarters.

I guess that's a part of it yeah. Also with Ronaldo when he was younger he was too self-centred, you knew he'd get the ball and not pass, which generally ended in a shot over the bar/wide and fans screaming at the TV to pass it.

I guess that's a part of it yeah. Also with Ronaldo when he was younger he was too self-centred, you knew he'd get the ball and not pass, which generally ended in a shot over the bar/wide and fans screaming at the TV to pass it.

I guess that's a part of it yeah. Also with Ronaldo when he was younger he was too self-centred, you knew he'd get the ball and not pass, which generally ended in a shot over the bar/wide and fans screaming at the TV to pass it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He was but a mere youff.

He has matured somewhat lately, but there is still room for improvement.

Same very much goes for Rooney, tbf.

Just seems like double standards to me. At the end of the day, you've got two players who's primary job is to create chances, and who's secondary job is to score goals. And even taking the Ronaldo of last season for the comparison, you've got the player who does that significantly better out of the two getting huge criticism, and the other getting MOTM and "Park is fffffb" for games like yesterday when he missed two sitters and failed to create a single goalscoring chance that i can remember from a number of promising situations.

I'm not saying he's awful, he does lots of things well, it's just he's nowhere near worthy of the level of praise he gets from some quarters. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I disagree for the reasons I have already said really, I don't think it's as black and white as you're making out.

As for the Park praise, for those of us who rate him and think that he's a great little player for the team, we're always going to defend him when the likes of James and other people in the match thread constantly say how rubbish he is. I wouldn't have given him MOTM yesterday but I felt that he looked lively, played well and generally did a good job for the team.

He's one of my favourite players at the club to be honest and for his attitude and how he goes about the game I think he's worthy of the liking he gets from me/ACou etc. Nobody is proclaiming him to be the best crosser/finisher at the club but he's good player who I'm happy to see playing for us. Against Villa the other week he was great and people tend to forget when he has games like that for us. I'd still rather have him in the XI than the Ronaldo of the start of last season.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Razor Eddie:

I guess that's a part of it yeah. Also with Ronaldo when he was younger he was too self-centred, you knew he'd get the ball and not pass, which generally ended in a shot over the bar/wide and fans screaming at the TV to pass it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He was but a mere youff.

He has matured somewhat lately, but there is still room for improvement.

Same very much goes for Rooney, tbf. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not saying he wasn't young, but that didn't take away from the fact that it was frustrating to watch.

Park was plenty involved, contrary to popular belief/desire did not lose the ball every time, and generally gave our attack some impetus/movement, the latter of which was lacking moreso when Ole was on.

Okay he missed a great chance, we all know he's not a great finisher, but his alround game is far far FAR from the standard "sh*t" remarks of some around here.

He's useful, makes things happen (perhaps not noticed because he doesnt necessarily directly contribute in terms of the numbers of goals/assists like others), and does a tremendous job for the side tracking back/chasing as well.

Whoever said he should go back to PSV (I skimmed the other thread) - get your head checked.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coldberg:

I got the feeling James was wanting to appluad Rooney from his reaction icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

he turned round to the crowd after that and just shrugged icon_biggrin.gif

after their consolation he ran towards us celebrating, got jeered and looked at us as if to say 'ffs, come on lads, you've been giving me no end of grief all game, at least give me that one'.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

Park was plenty involved, contrary to popular belief/desire did not lose the ball every time, and generally gave our attack some impetus/movement, the latter of which was lacking moreso when Ole was on.

Okay he missed a great chance, we all know he's not a great finisher, but his alround game is far far FAR from the standard "sh*t" remarks of some around here.

He's useful, makes things happen (perhaps not noticed because he doesnt necessarily directly contribute in terms of the numbers of goals/assists like others), and does a tremendous job for the side tracking back/chasing as well.

Whoever said he should go back to PSV (I skimmed the other thread) - get your head checked. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's true. People ignore that most of the time Park is involved in the build-up play leading to a goal and unless he is the guy scoring or with the direct assist people will ignore his contribution.

I'm not saying he's awful, he does lots of things well, it's just he's nowhere near worthy of the level of praise he gets from some quarters. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

agreed, but i think that has a lot to do with the fact he's nowhere near worthy of the level of stick he gets from other quarters and as such people go over the top in praising him to compensate.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

agreed, but i think that has a lot to do with the fact he's nowhere near worthy of the level of stick he gets from other quarters and as such people go over the top in praising him to compensate. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's exactly it really, same with Ruud in a sense.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Fergie: Foster to edge out Robbo

By James Pearson - Created on 28 Jan 2007

Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson is tipping Ben Foster to replace Paul Robinson as England's number one.

The Spurs keeper, who has 29 caps to his name, is currently Steve McClaren's first-choice while Foster is yet to make an international appearance.

However, Ferguson believes Foster has the talent to do a job for his country and has also confirmed he will be back at Old Trafford next season.

The 23-year-old is currently in his second season-long loan spell with Watford, but will vie for the starting job with The Red Devils after the summer.

"Ben will be England's next goalkeeper - if not very soon," explained Ferguson.

"I get a report on him every month from Adrian Boothroyd. It covers everything - Ben's form, training and development.

"He will come back to us next season. Bringing him here from Stoke was fantastic." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Up yours to whoever said we should sell him the other week. icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Gill rejects Larsson talk

Manchester United chief executive David Gill insists it is highly unlikely Henrik Larsson's loan move will turn into a permanent arrangement.

The veteran striker has impressed everyone at Old Trafford since arriving on a three-month loan from Helsingborgs, prompting talk that Sir Alex Ferguson could acquire his services on a permanent basis.

While Gill is willing to concede United could engage in discussions to extend Larsson's stay until the end of the season, he believes personal circumstances will dictate that Larsson returns to his homeland at the season's end.

"Henrik played for Barcelona and went back to Helsingborgs for family and other reasons, so I would have thought that is extremely unlikely," Gill told Five Live.

"He is due to go back in the middle of March and we haven't really discussed that yet as we are focusing on the next few weeks and we will see what happens.

"I think it is a bit early. You can never say never and we will go through that nearer the time with Henrik and the club.

"I know for a fact Alex, Carlos and all the players are very impressed with him in terms of what he can do, his attitude and how he has fitted in and we want great players at the club."

Meanwhile, Gill was quick to reiterate United's utmost desire to keep Cristiano Ronaldo in Manchester, amid continued talk of interest from Real Madrid.

When quizzed on what will happen should the Spanish giants make an approach in the summer, Gill was quick to reassure the club's supporters.

"It would be turned down straight away," he concluded.

"One benefit of being a private club as opposed to one on the stock exchange is that we can take a long-term view and we invest in our assets.

"As Arsene Wenger has said on many occasions, clubs aren't banks, we are there to put on entertainment and play a top-class team and there is no point having £35million or £45million if you can't replace that talent.

"At 21 Ronaldo has had a great season and we believe the best is yet to come." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Archived