The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

I'm not saying he's awful, he does lots of things well, it's just he's nowhere near worthy of the level of praise he gets from some quarters. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

agreed, but i think that has a lot to do with the fact he's nowhere near worthy of the level of stick he gets from other quarters and as such people go over the top in praising him to compensate. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just don't see that level of stick. I see people saying he wasn't great or he had a poor game, but i've never seen him get dogs abuse in here, unlike some players.

And as i'm writing that, i'm wondering if i should have chosen a different phrase icon_biggrin.gif

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Going back to the article on Ronaldo/Saha:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Ronaldo was in attendance at Old Trafford at the weekend having returned from a mini-break in Dubai, which was taken on the instruction of his manager, after the Scottish tactician noticed fatigue in his display against Arsenal. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He can instruct Ronaldo but not Rooney?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

I'm not saying he's awful, he does lots of things well, it's just he's nowhere near worthy of the level of praise he gets from some quarters. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

agreed, but i think that has a lot to do with the fact he's nowhere near worthy of the level of stick he gets from other quarters and as such people go over the top in praising him to compensate. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just don't see that level of stick. I see people saying he wasn't great or he had a poor game, but i've never seen him get dogs abuse in here, unlike some players.

And as i'm writing that, i'm wondering if i should have chosen a different phrase icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He gets loads of unwarranted over-the-top abuse. Fact.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Ronaldo was in attendance at Old Trafford at the weekend having returned from a mini-break in Dubai, which was taken on the instruction of his manager, after the Scottish tactician noticed fatigue in his display against Arsenal. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He can instruct Ronaldo but not Rooney? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

fatigue

Rooney never looked fatigued. He simply looked out of confidence. Which a goal could, and has, helped him overcome.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

Foster is very very good.

I'm actually strangely confident Ronaldo won't go anywhere soon ... which probably means he'll be off in June before I can say "come on Madrid, take Kieron instead" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't thnk Ronaldo would go yet either, in 2/3 years perhaps but I'd be very, very surprised if he wanted to go now, more so if we actually allowed him to.

people were wishing he had no legs yesterday icon_biggrin.gif. most of the talk about Park today/yesterday evening has come on the back of the excessive stick he recieved in the match thread </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Er that was me who said that and you have been here long enough to realise that not everything posted is 100% serious and posts such as that one was not meant to be taken as such.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

That's exactly it really, same with Ruud in a sense. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did you know that a search for word "Ruud" in posts by Mika only gives 32 pages of results?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

fatigue

Rooney never looked fatigued. He simply looked out of confidence. Which a goal could, and has, helped him overcome. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I still think he could have been taken out of the team during the festive period and early Jan for a few games. He was great yesterday when he came on but lets see how long he keeps it up. He was great against Bolton/Sheff Utd and then faded again, hopefully it'll be different this time.

fatigue

Rooney never looked fatigued. He simply looked out of confidence. Which a goal could, and has, helped him overcome. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rooney looked like he needed a rest and while it wasnt physical fatigue he wasnt there mentally and should have been made to take some time off.

Did you know that a search for word "Ruud" in posts by Mika only gives 32 pages of results? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Haha icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

fatigue

Rooney looked like he needed a rest and while it wasnt physical fatigue he wasnt there mentally and should have been made to take some time off. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I dont think it was even mental fatigue, it was a mental block he was facing having been so out of sorts in front of goal, which began to affect his overall game- though I maintain his general play still wasnt THAT bad.

I also maintain the best choice was to let him play through this block until he hit the net, and it already seems to be paying dividends. If we had dropped him last week he'd very unlikely have come on vs Portsmouth and had anywhere near the impact that he actually did yesterday.

but the kind of mental "sluggishness" was not going to be helped by leaving him out the side

at all

imo

ok </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And i'm yet to see how playing him will help. Yes he scored twice yesterday but that hasnt proven he has played through anything.

As has been said he netted a hat-trick against Bolton and scored twice against Sheff Utd but he didnt carry on from those games he just went back to putting in poor performances.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

Nah, I disagree, poor is the wrong word to use, he's played well for the team, just he hasn't been scoring as much as we'd all like. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No poor is exactly right. Goalscoring isnt his only problem. Yes his work rate has been the usual but his passing is off, his shooting way off and more often than not he has been picking the wrong option in situations.

All kids go through stints like this and i have no doubt he will eventually get back to his best but he has been poor.

how did rossi do for parma? obv didnt win or score but did he looked likely?

Not over sure about tommy k, looks capable enough, not sure whether he will be able to step up and take over from vds. Ben Foster as far as im concerned will be United number one after VDS.

Have we completely written off Tim Howard btw?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JulesMUFC:

Have we completely written off Tim Howard btw? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can't see him not signing for Everton permanently myself.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JulesMUFC:

how did rossi do for parma? obv didnt win or score but did he looked likely?

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can only go off some bloke on redcafe who watched it and said Rossi did cause a few problems for the Milan defence with his quick feet and some good runs but yet again another one said he is lightweight, has no pace, is crap and we only wish he was as good as Owen was at 19.

Can't see him not signing for Everton permanently myself. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes. He has been very good for Everton but shown nothing that says he could come back here and do as well as VDS.

Howard has had his chance and while good is not first choice material at Old Trafford.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

Can't see him not signing for Everton permanently myself. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes. He has been very good for Everton but shown nothing that says he could come back here and do as well as VDS.

Howard has had his chance and while good is not first choice material at Old Trafford. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Its a shame really, he was excellent in the first half of his first season. VDS is a different class though, and I too expect Foster to take over the reins as number 1.

Yeah I really thought that Howard was the answer, the games against Man City in the Cup and Bolton away in the league were just brilliant from him, two of the best goalkeeping displays I can remember us seeing post-Schmeichel.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dips:

What's the opinion on Bale in here? Will you lot be disappointed if you miss out like it seems? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He has potential.

I personally wouldn't be too disappointed. We have Heinze and Evra, both of whom are class left backs. So he wouldn't exactly be a front runner for the position anyway.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dips:

What's the opinion on Bale in here? Will you lot be disappointed if you miss out like it seems? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We would like him but we wont be sorry to have missed out on him, especially at the prices quoted.

The kid is 17 and has a lot of potential but who says he will realise that? £10m is a lot for potential and when you consider we have Evra and heinze as back up for the moment.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Razor Eddie:

I guess that's a part of it yeah. Also with Ronaldo when he was younger he was too self-centred, you knew he'd get the ball and not pass, which generally ended in a shot over the bar/wide and fans screaming at the TV to pass it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He was but a mere youff.

He has matured somewhat lately, but there is still room for improvement.

Same very much goes for Rooney, tbf. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not saying he wasn't young, but that didn't take away from the fact that it was frustrating to watch. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not disagreeing with you, Mika.

are people just burying their heads in the sand or do you genuinely think Gaby will still be with us at the start of next season? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think he's 70% towards the exit door come the summer barring a diabolical turn in Evra's form.

Don't see him asking for a transfer or anything though, and I think he's loyal enough not to make waves and if he didn't move come September 1st I think he'd come out with "I'll fight for my place" quotes.

That being said I think despite the fact that he isn't playing his stock is high enough (and has increased during his time at OT) that we should be expecting to get about £9 million for him.

Though with the crack negotiating team that makes up our executives that'll probably end up around the £5 million mark.

As for Smith, if he goes it'll be for, at most, about half of what we paid for him. If we're lucky. A loan move for 6 month to a season might be more likely given his slow recovery making him less than a sure thing for a lot of clubs.

If nobody comes in Fergie will stick by him though and give him a chance if he can get back up to the right standard.

Heinze and Smith have June/July on the calendar, basically guaranteed exits. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sad, but true, as far as I can see.

Heinze i think will go. Smith is less certain, as i think we don't really now what's going on with his injury. If he's back to his best after a full pre-season, i think he'll want to give it a shot at making the grade here, and Fergie'll be happy with that. If he's not going to recover fully, he'll almost certainly go.

While I remember, I think I'm going to give JSP MOM for the industry and impetus he showed for 90 mins yesterday, and Rio gets 2nd for a very composed defensive performance.

Carrick gets an honourable mention for running the show in the first half. So very elegant at times. So does GNev. Rooney as well I suppose for being the match winner.

MOM: Ji-Sung Park

2ND: Rio Ferdinand

I thought there was no affg yesterday. Not really a lot you can do about one like that.

As for MOTM, i thought Evra was excellent at both ends of the pitch for us. Surprised he hasn't been mentioned so far (unless i've missed it, which is entirely possible).

Archived