The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

tbf to my mother-in-law, they were in manchester just before they came over, and she was thoughtful enough to go into the megwhore and get me an away shirt before christmas - which was pretty cool of her (for all your megawhore bashing in here). even better she wrapped it around a two litre bottle of morgans spiced rum, which is just awesome.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

United offered Ron reassurance

Cristiano Ronaldo's agent has admitted interest from Barcelona and Real Madrid but insists the winger is focused on extending his Old Trafford contract.

Ronaldo's outstanding form this campaign has prompted Manchester United to offer the winger fresh terms but a new deal has yet to be signed.

The Portuguese's displays have also caught the attention of Spanish giants Real Madrid and Barcelona.

Real continue to monitor the player, while Barca were recently linked with a swap deal involving influential midfield anchor Xavi.

But Ronaldo's agent Jorge Mendes has moved to quash the speculation by insisting his client is eyeing a new deal at United.

"It's normal that half the world is asking after Cristiano because every game he is delivering exhibition performances," said Mendes.

"Manchester United have repeated their intention not to sell him, and I would do the same if I was a United director.

"It's no secret there is interest from Real Madrid and Barcelona. For us, the matter does not exist and what we are negotiating is the renewal of his contract."

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Manchester United defender John O'Shea admits his disappointment at failing to hold down a permanent first-team place at Old Trafford will be a small price to pay for another Barclays Premiership winner's medal at the end of the season.

The 25-year-old Irishman has predominantly figured as a late substitute for Sir Alex Ferguson's men during this campaign and after starting in the Wednesday win over Watford, he could well find himself back on the bench for the trip to Tottenham.

Yet O'Shea acknowledges it is precisely the spirit engendered by a fully-fit and thriving squad which has sent his side six points clear of Chelsea and looking strong bets to reclaim their title.

O'Shea said: ``It is obviously frustrating when you are not playing week in, week out but that is the case when everyone is fit and you are top of the league. The manager has big decisions to make and when you get your chance you have got to take it.

``Everyone is chomping at the bit to get into the team. In the last couple of seasons we have had vital players missing for months but this season we have coped with everything that has been thrown at us and you can see we are enjoying it.''

United head to White Hart Lane with striker Louis Saha back in contention following a knee injury and knowing it is crucial for them to improve a recent record on their travels which reads four points from their last four games.

It is particularly imperative with potentially difficult away trips to the likes of Stamford Bridge and Anfield and a derby against City still to come this season, while Chelsea boast a relatively easier run-in.

But O'Shea insisted Chelsea's result is the last thing on the minds of the United dressing room as they focus on simply maintaining and if possible extending their lead for as long as possible.

O'Shea added: ``We are just looking at ourselves and we know it is going to be a tough game on Sunday and we have got tough games to come. But with the form we are in we are feeling very positive at the moment.

``You know what games are coming up and how difficult they are but we keep thinking after each game that that is another game down. Last time we won the league we went to these places and won these games, and that is what we have to do now.''

Tottenham defender Ricardo Rocha believes United have proven themselves as a great team by bouncing back in style from when he helped Benfica defeat them in the Champions League.

United's defeat in Portugal last season was the low point of a miserable European campaign but they have regrouped and are top of the Barclays Premiership.

Rocha is in line for a Premiership debut when United travel to White Hart Lane, with Martin Jol's defensive options limited by Ledley King's foot injury which has ruled the captain out for another six to eight weeks.

Spurs have not beaten United since 2001 but Rocha has tasted victory over Ferguson's men recently, even if he was only a late substitute last season.

``United were not very good that season and it was important for us because we had to win, and we did,'' said the 28-year-old Portugal defender. ``They have proven since then they are a great team and they are in a great moment - good teams are like this.''

King's injury means Rocha may not have time to adapt to the pace of English football, but he is relishing the chance to show the physical side of his game.

``I try to get the ball but not hurt anybody on purpose,'' he added. ``If I touch the opponent I'll say 'Sorry, I'm just doing my work'.''

Rocha is determined to make up for his mistake that allowed Jeremie Aliadiere to score on Wednesday in the Carling Cup semi-final.

He will be up against a familiar face, with Spurs' defence looking to cope with Cristiano Ronaldo, the Premiership's in-form player. Rocha knows him well from international duty with Portugal.

``He's unpredictable and can do amazing things,'' said Rocha. ``It's very difficult to stop him. I have to put pressure on him, not let him take the ball because if he does he's difficult to stop. You always have to have your eye on him.'' </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keyser:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

BELIEVE </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

stfu </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Indeed, Mart basically a walking Mars bar.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keyser:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

BELIEVE </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

stfu </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Indeed, Mart basically a walking Mars bar. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

is that because he's eaten so many he now resembles one?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JulesMUFC:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

Well... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

haha /o\

1-1 btw. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

:S icon_biggrin.gif

0-0

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rcjuk:

sahhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaa take me in your arms, rock your babyyyyyyyyy </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

get a room you two

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> DAVID GRAY OUT FOR REST OF THE SEASON

Although everybody initially thought that the injury of David Gray, after his sliding at Eupen, was not that serious,(he walked of the pitch), the news from Manchester this week was more alarming. In fact, David had to undergo surgery on the wounded knee and will be out for the rest of the season. We wish him a succesfull, and speedy, recovery. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unlucky Antwerp.

Frazier Campbell scored twice yesterday for them though.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> JOL VINDICATED BY CARRICK PLAUDITS

Tottenham manager Martin Jol believes people are starting to agree with his assessment of Michael Carrick now Manchester United are top of the Barclays Premiership.

Carrick, 25, left White Hart Lane in the summer for £18.6million and Jol feels his midfield is not the same without the England international protecting the defence, even with the emergence of Tom Huddlestone.

The former West Ham player is not as explosive as some of his midfield contemporaries but has been compared to the likes of Italy's Andrea Pirlo for his subtle work and range of passing.

"I was the only one who said last year that he was a very influential player and now he's making them tick in midfield and they are top of the league," said Jol. "So hopefully everyone agrees now."

The Dutchman feels his midfield has more flair now but miss the control Carrick gave them last season when they finished fifth in the league.

"He's functional and never dwells on the ball, he sees space and makes more interceptions than people give him credit for," said Jol.

"He's always in the right place, covering the defence. At our club we do the same things but look different - that's because of him."

Jol added: "Compare my midfield to last year. Edgar Davids was playing on the left and everyone was complaining.

"Now we have Steed Malbranque on the left with flair, Aaron Lennon on the right, Tom Huddlestone in the middle and Jermaine Jenas is back.

"If everyone is there we are a flair team - maybe a bit too much."

Carrick makes a return to White Hart Lane on Sunday when the leaders will look to protect their unbeaten record over Spurs which stretches back to 2001.

The clash will see two of the Premiership's most exciting wingers, with Jol tipping teenager Aaron Lennon to eventually reach the heights of United's Cristiano Ronaldo.

"Lennon is younger with less experience," said Jol. "If you see Ronaldo, he has scored 12 or 13 goals already.

"In terms of production Ronaldo is probably the best in England. He is probably involved in 20 goals, Lennon in five or six - but with the chances he is creating he is on his way to possibly being like Ronaldo. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Best 10 minutes of football i've watched in ages. Sheasy was great in the net, that tackle to stop Keane was brilliant and then the replay with Fergie, Rooney and Giggs. icon_biggrin.gif

Defence was good and if there is a player in the league who is better in the air than Vidic i'm yet to see him.

Ronaldo did the business with the dive, great penalty and fantastic work to make the third.

In fact i dont think anyone was bad today. Plus we extended our GD by +3 over Chelsea and gained 2 points over 3rd and 4th.

Not unhappy by Rooney having to sit out the cup game either as i thought Saha did great when he came on. Superb play to set up the 4th.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rcjuk:

0-3 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Close icon_smile.gif

****ING HAVE THAT YOU PESSIMISTIC ***** </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

*realistic

This place is going to be giddiness central tonight isn't it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, just enjoying demolishing a side who were part of our "supposed" hard away fixtures icon_smile.gif

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's fair enough, I'm enjoying it as much as anyone.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

VDS has broken his nose, how long does that take to heal? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not long. Not really much they can do with a broken nose. Unless it's shattered in which case it will be a couple of weeks.

Could probably wear some kind of shield on it if necessary. Won't be out too long though I imagine.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

VDS has broken his nose, how long does that take to heal? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

heh, i'm an expert at this - done it five times. cue scouser giddiness - FIVE TIMES \o/

usually just a couple of weeks, but on one occasion i had to basically get it reconstructed and was out for two months.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tanman007:

I would've settled for 2-0, but that performance was brilliant. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Second half anyway. icon_biggrin.gif

Archived