The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

great victory, hugeee win for us, was so nervous in the first half. Didnt play well at all, Carrick was super sloppy on the ball, ronaldo trying and failing to beat his man too often. Rooney lost his touch.

though ryan giggs was ****ing awesome down the left wing, take note fergus. Great victory, just hope VDS isnt out for too long, would be a huge boost.

10 more of them.!

Yes, but nowhere near to the same level. I'd be more disappointed if I expected and genuinely though that we would win the title and didn't, than if I didn't expect us to and we didn't. Ultimately I still think Chelsea are a class team and will hit back, and be too strong for us in the end. Desperately hope I'm wrong, and if I am, we'll all be happy and it's a bonus.

4-0, pretty damn happy a potential banana skin is out of the way, got the rub of the green with the penalty decisions, goal deflated them and stopped the dangerous back and forth that was going on prior to that, Clattenburg (sp?) with some stupid bookings, easy second half…and Spurs fail to beat VDS or JOS. And shockingly Sky get an MOM decision right for once, although there were good performances all over the park really. JOS clearly loving the attention post-match.

MOM: Paul Scholes – just all round quality.

2 ND: Cristiano Ronaldo – involved in a few key moments and general threat.

Honourable mentions to Carrick (ace first half), & GNev with a strong performance all round I thought, and Larsson for the same reasons.

Good pen for the first. Great head from The Vid ( > Terry). Scholesy in the right place to score after good work from Ronny & Giggsy finished well after strong hold-up play from Saha, who it was good to see back and moving quite well.

Hopefully VDS makes a quick return and that Rooney isn’t seriously hurt, since I think we’re starting to see signs of better approach play, even if it’s a tad sloppy at times still. Got to say that I’m glad he’ll be missing from the Reading FA Cup match.

As I just posted in the match thread, an't see the reason for you guys getting too excitd yet. 12 games and a lot of football to go yet. The ECL is going to have a big effect on both of us.

I don't want your lot to turn into scouser-esque giddyness, because as much as I dislike you, I hate the bin dipping murderers more.

Still up for grabs, albeit that you will stillwin.

One thing that struck me watching the game though, I really have no idea what Giggsy’s role in the team is any more. Increasingly it seems like he has been given a totally free role. Now this is, IMO at least, making his performances appear to be based primarily on fleeting contributions, but am I missing something wider? Its not that I think he should be replaced by any of the other squad members, or more specifically JSP, but is that something that’s acting to our advantage or detriment?

Also, say we very specifically sign Hargreaves in the summer rather than any other generic DM signing. Would anyone here prefer to maintain the Scholes/Carrick partnership, or go for the more combative option by pairing one of them with Hargreaves? I personally think that Carrick is progressing quite nicely, and I can’t say for sure that I’d happily abandon him in favour of Hargreaves. Obviously the plan appears to be to have Hargreaves/Carrick in the medium-long term, but with Scholesy playing the way he is (and of course assuming he can maintain those levels over the next 18 months) can anyone see any alternative to a Scholes + ??? solution. I’m tempted to say that if Rossi doesn’t make the grade/get a chance Fergie might use the Ginger Prince in a more advanced role as Rooney’s experienced deputy.

Anyway, those two are just random thoughts I’ve been having.

You say I've got nothing to lose, but it's not about that. It's about the simple fact that I don't believe that we have as strong a squad as Chelsea, have harder games than them coming up and don't see it being a matter of "believing".

Given the things I've said above, I'm not going to just "believe" for the sake of it.

It was different in previous years when we fought with Arsenal, I wasn't the same because I did believe then that we were better, and capable of beating them. At the moment, I still don't quite believe that this season, and am not going to just assume that we will for the sake of "believing".

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Walrus:

As I just posted in the match thread, an't see the reason for you guys getting too excitd yet. 12 games and a lot of football to go yet. The ECL is going to have a big effect on both of us.

I don't want your lot to turn into scouser-esque giddyness, because as much as I dislike you, I hate the bin dipping murderers more.

Still up for grabs, albeit that you will stillwin. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Love the last sentence icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Walrus:

Still up for grabs, albeit that you will stillwin. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Love the last sentence icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rcjuk:

No one is saying that we will definitely win (not even mart?), what's wrong believing that we might win?

You're very much a "glass is half empty" man </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can't just believe in something that I don't think will happen. I'll live with that though.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rcjuk:

No one is saying that we will definitely win (not even mart?), what's wrong believing that we might win?

You're very much a "glass is half empty" man </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can't just believe in something that I don't think will happen. I'll live with that though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

so whs. played hutz, played.

Why? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Because it's anti-jinxing at its best. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah right! icon_wink.gif

i ranted in the Chelsea thread to this effect a few weeks ago, so I'm happy to say it and have been since Chrimbo when we basically lost a big chance to sort things out.

Should be interesting though. Especially as I believe the majority of the media and opposition want you guys to win much like when others have beaten you to the title to stop monopolisation.

I think if we sign Hargreaves it gives us good options, from the most defensive (Carrick + Hargreaves), to the most attacking (Scholes + Carrick), with Carrick + Hargreaves somewhere inbetween. Plus you have the tactical considerations of playing Hargreaves if the opposition play a forward "in the hole", and equally, if there's likely to be lots of room in between the opponents midfield and defense, you'd want Scholes in there to wreak havoc.

It basically gives us good options without unbalancing the side whichever pair we choose, and I think we'll have enough games to keep them all happy.

Oh, and I'm on the side of cautious optimism.

It will be interesting yeah. Was saying to BBB yesterday that today was going to be one of a few big away tests this season, good thing is that we have passed it with flying colours.

It's all about the character of the team for me, how will we respond if say we had lost today, or we drop points at Anfield and let Chelsea close to within 3pts of us? Will we handle it or will we panic?

We just don't know yet, though it has to be said that the signs so far have been positive, when we have had a setback we have generally bounced back straight away from it, which is great. Whether that would be the case when the pressure is really on though, time will tell.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Maverick:

I think if we sign Hargreaves it gives us good options, from the most defensive (Carrick + Hargreaves), to the most attacking (Scholes + Carrick), with Carrick + Hargreaves somewhere inbetween. Plus you have the tactical considerations of playing Hargreaves if the opposition play a forward "in the hole", and equally, if there's likely to be lots of room in between the opponents midfield and defense, you'd want Scholes in there to wreak havoc.

It basically gives us good options without unbalancing the side whichever pair we choose, and I think we'll have enough games to keep them all happy.

Oh, and I'm on the side of cautious optimism. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You do know that you can't sign Hargreaves until July and that's next season yeah?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Maverick:

Oh, and I'm on the side of cautious optimism. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You do know that you can't sign Hargreaves until July and that's next season yeah? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes. I supposed I could have prefaced every mention of Hargreaves with "(if we signed him)", but I forgot to take into account the fact that idiots would be reading it.

Crashed and burned on an epic scale mate, prepared in totally the wrong way. For some reason I was under the impression that they wanted to assess my skills and abilities. So I set about establishing examples for all these potential questions about when I did this and that.

Instead what they wanted to spend 70% of the interview talking about was how much I knew about them as a brand, their services, their place in the market, and if I knew their ****ing mission statement. I mean I'd glanced at that info but not enough to provide comprehensive or cogent answers & I must have come across as an ignorant imbecile because all I cared about was that they are an established presence with what seems like a decent grad scheme. Apparently if you're not indoctrinated with the public profile of the company you're obviously not interested or capable of working for them. /RANT

Anyway, it was a worthwhile if chastening experience since I'd never done one before. Live and learn and all that...

Ah icon_frown.gif Yeah solicitors firms are the same apparently, as well as wanting you to have "commerical awarenesss".

Got two LPC offers this week. \o/ Still curious as to what exactly you meant in your email though that I seemed to get the wrong end of the stick of, drop me an email sometime.

MotM: Ronaldo

Runner-up: Vidic

Credit must also go to Scholes and Carrick who made all the right decisions.

Ronaldo is turning into something of a game-opener. This isn't the first time he has broken open the scoring against a team.

Ah icon_frown.gif Yeah solicitors firms are the same apparently, as well as wanting you to have "commerical awarenesss".

Got two LPC offers this week. \o/ Still curious as to what exactly you meant in your email though that I seemed to get the wrong end of the stick of, drop me an email sometime. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I better make a massive effort to fix those things then!

Good news about the LPC offers though mate icon14.gif Where at? Did you get the CoL?

Will email you the other stuff since I don't want to pollute the thread more than I have to.

Essay length football posts not included obviously.

spent the first half in a pub surrounded by a plethora of Chelsea top wearing 25 year old chavs who just shouted "COME ON SPERZ" and "**** OFF BACK TO PORTUGAL YOU ****" constantly. utter utter utter w*nkers.

so I merely smirked at Ronaldo's pen going in then moved to a different place to watch the 2nd half of joy icon_cool.gif

Excellent result lads icon14.gif - especially after the performance of Clattenburg in the first half - he was giving the sort of random decisions that could have influenced the result of the match no matter who the better team was.

Again I thought Larsson was excellent today - his selfless running and closing down from the front really helped the team.

The last word on Sky after the match today was comparing Rooney and Cantona and saying how instumental Rooney has been in our last two wins. icon_biggrin.gif

I'm sorry but saying he has the potential to be as good as Cantona was for us is one thing but to compare them now is just a joke and i wish people would stop doing it because its ******** and thats plain and simple and to it when Rooney has had such a poor season.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Sir Alex praises travelling army

Sir Alex Ferguson saluted United's "extra man" on Sunday evening as the Reds returned home from North London.

The manager was referring to the vociferous fans who filled the away section at White Hart Lane and willed their team to victory on a supposedly tricky road trip.

"I think the players enjoyed the match, and the fans did too," said Sir Alex.

"Our support was terrific today. Away from home they're like an extra man, there's no question about that."

The 4-0 trouncing of Tottenham was United's first away win in three league matches, following the shock 2-1 defeat at Arsenal a fortnight ago and the 2-2 draw with Newcastle on New Year's Day. The manager was delighted with the outcome, if a little disappointed with parts of the performance.

"I enjoyed the result and the second half once we got in front. But in the first half I thought we were too slow in our build-up. I didn’t think we played with enough width or pace so I felt we could improve when we went in at half-time.

"We were out of the traps very quickly in the first 15 minutes of the second half. The build-up was quick, we played with good width and I think it made a difference to us."

In an echo of Wednesday's win over Watford, the one-goal difference between the teams at half-time was a penalty converted by Cristiano Ronaldo. It was awarded after minimal contact by Steed Malbranque on the scorer, but the boss wasn't about to heap gratitude on Tyne & Wear referee Mark Clattenburg.

"It was an important moment because we had one turned down midway through the half when to me it looked like a clear penalty," said Sir Alex.

"I was starting to wonder about Mark Clattenburg because he denied us penalties at Sheffield United (earlier this season) and at Crystal Palace two years ago. I was thinking, "Are we ever going to get a penalty off this guy?" But we got the one just before half-time and I think it settled us down.

"We came out with a real purpose in the second half. I said to the players at half-time, "If you want to win the league, you can't sit back and hope teams make mistakes. You've got to make the opposition make mistakes. Your play has got to earn the right to win matches.""

The Reds earned the right to beat Tottenham with some scintillating play after the break, capped by the strikes from Nemanja Vidic and Paul Scholes. But after Ryan Giggs added a fourth goal, Sir Alex felt his side eased off and put their clean sheet at risk.

"In fairness to the players, they did play well in the second half, but when it went to 4-0, I thought we got careless and Spurs started to make one or two chances. I think we were getting too relaxed at the back.

"It's important to have zeros (clean sheets) against your name. In the run-in, that's going to be crucial. I said it right at the start of the season that how we defend is going to be important to us." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A veiled dig at the home support perhaps?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> "John did well. There was a debate – Rio wanted to go in goal, Gary [Neville] wanted to go in goal. But I wanted to leave the back four as it was so we spoke to John O’Shea.

"The first thing he said was I can’t catch the ball. I asked Henrik Larsson but he didn’t want anything to do with it!

"Eventually John decided he would go in and he did well, with a great block from Robbie Keane and a punch from a corner kick. He’s kept the jersey and all the players are going to sign it for him." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Haha icon_biggrin.gif

Nick or some ******.

Who is the normal presenter of the man utd matched on century fm along with backhand mickey thomas?

Really bugging me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

no idea dude icon_frown.gif

ahh nice wan

Who the hell is he? Not the same without him.

Also, I'm not one for shirt names but I'm tempted to get the away shirt with "VIDA" on the back. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You said in the summer that you wanted a hero to replace Ruud, is Vida that man?

Archived