The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

You disowned him, can't claim him back now. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gah. Would've lost 5-4 if Silvestre had gone in goal...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rcjuk:

ahh nice wan

Who the hell is he? Not the same without him.

Also, I'm not one for shirt names but I'm tempted to get the away shirt with "VIDA" on the back. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wasn't until the Watford game. I succumbed.

I'm the owner of a shirt with Vidic on t'back.

Not since Eric have I felt the same about a player. Hero ? Maybe. icon_smile.gif

seriously baffled as to why anyone would pay £50+ for shirts from the megawhore. i've got:

06/07 short-sleeved home + Solskjaer 20

06/07 short-sleeved away + Scholes 18 (european numbering)

06/07 long-sleeved home + Giggs 11 (european numbering)

off ebay for a combined total of less than one megawhore one icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

seriously baffled as to why anyone would pay £50+ for shirts from the megawhore. i've got:

off ebay for a combined total of less than one megawhore one icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But are they all real?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coldberg:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

off ebay for a combined total of less than one megawhore one icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But are they all real? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

doubt it, couldn't really care less - they're really good quality and look the real deal. they're either excellent fakes or off the back of a lorry. either way, no money going into the gimps' pockets icon_cool.gif

want a long-sleeve away one now, ebay seem to have clamped down on the shirt sellers though icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Davies's team have a habit of leaving it late, however, and for the 12th time this season they scored in the final 10 minutes. Giles Barnes kept the ball in and, with the Saints defence switching off for a goal-kick which never came, David Jones met the low cross and his blocked shot fell to Steve Howard to score his 13th league goal and secure a ninth 1-0 win of the league season. "We recognised at half-time we were lucky to be in with a shout," said Jones, another of the new arrivals at £1m from Manchester United and still undecided about playing for England or Wales.

"I've found Derby brilliant so far. They are a big club with a good ground, fans and players. I don't really know [what to do] about international level. I want to play for whoever I feel I can support, not say [i'll play for] England and then choose Wales if I don't make it.

"Ryan Giggs has had a few words with me. Nothing too pushy but it is nice to get a bit of interest from him about playing for Wales. He was just telling me about the set-up and the way Wales are moving forward. But I want to decide on the team I want to play for and then go for it." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

:*****)

set up their winner last midweek as well. the one that got away, i'm telling y'all icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Portugal boss Luiz Felipe Scolari thinks Cristiano Ronaldo needs to leave Manchester United and continue his career with Barcelona.

The former Sporting Lisbon winger, who turned 22 on Monday, has been enjoying his best season with United so far.

The winger was again highly-influential in Sunday's 4-0 demolition of Tottenham Hotspur, having taken his goal tally to 15 with a controversially-awarded penalty at White Hart Lane.

Ronaldo's displays have attracted the interest of Spanish giants Barcelona and Real Madrid, and the midfielder's international manager Scolari believes a move to Barca is essential for the player's footballing education.

"The basic education stage of his career is ending and I know Cristiano is ready for a change of atmosphere," Scolari told The Sun.

"Barcelona would hugely enjoy having Cristiano in their team because he would complement Ronaldinho perfectly - they have different characteristics.

"For Cristiano, the Barcelona climate would be important - most days are sunny and it's hardly ever cold like England.

"That gives a player all the motivation he needs to train and play."

Scolari, who led the Brazil to World Cup glory in 2002, believes a move to El Santiago Bernabeu would not be in the winger's best interest.

"Cristiano needs to move somewhere where the team is an integral part of the club - not somewhere where the system is based on individual 'heroes' or 'stars'," he added.

"Moving to a club where there are four or five 'stars' who do their own thing is unworkable." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Davies's team have a habit of leaving it late, however, and for the 12th time this season they scored in the final 10 minutes. Giles Barnes kept the ball in and, with the Saints defence switching off for a goal-kick which never came, David Jones met the low cross and his blocked shot fell to Steve Howard to score his 13th league goal and secure a ninth 1-0 win of the league season. "We recognised at half-time we were lucky to be in with a shout," said Jones, another of the new arrivals at £1m from Manchester United and still undecided about playing for England or Wales.

"I've found Derby brilliant so far. They are a big club with a good ground, fans and players. I don't really know [what to do] about international level. I want to play for whoever I feel I can support, not say [i'll play for] England and then choose Wales if I don't make it.

"Ryan Giggs has had a few words with me. Nothing too pushy but it is nice to get a bit of interest from him about playing for Wales. He was just telling me about the set-up and the way Wales are moving forward. But I want to decide on the team I want to play for and then go for it." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

set up their winner last midweek as well. the one that got away, i'm telling y'all icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was at that game as a mate is a Saints fan.

Bale >>>>>>> Jones

More worrying Pearson > Jones

Was anyone else absolutely stunned when O'Shea came out and made an awesome last ditch tackle to stop Keane?

Why the **** doesn't he do anything like that when playing outfield? icon_mad.gif

Awesome second half ofc., could've only have been made sweeter if Vidic's shot from outside the box went in icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

Was anyone else absolutely stunned when O'Shea came out and made an awesome last ditch tackle to stop Keane?

Why the **** doesn't he do anything like that when playing outfield? icon_mad.gif

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah like I said at the time, his best tackle in years. icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RedBlood:

How many positions has O'shea played for us now?

All but right wing and striker? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I could swear he played up front for a few minutes once, during a 'everyone - striker. now' moment.

That probably doesn't count, but still.

I don't think this has been osted before, but just to add to the Evra coolness factor:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> On Wednesday one of Ronaldo´s agents, Sergio Alves, was quoted in The Sun newspaper as saying offers for next season might be looked into if they came from a big club like Real Madrid or Barcelona.

This prompted Ronaldo teammate Patrice Evra to suggest that any agent asking for a transfer request for Ronaldo would be well advised to approach Ferguson armed with "a bazooka".

"Sir Alex Ferguson would know exactly how to welcome him. Protective equipment would be needed before going into the manager´s office," the Frenchman said. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

Reading H – 3 (3)

newcastle A – 1 (1)

Villa H – 3 (3)

Arsenal A – 0 (0)

Watford H - 3 (3)

Spurs A - 1 (3)

Charlton H - 3

Fulham A - 3

Liverpool A - 0

Bolton H - 1

Blackburn H - 3

Portsmouth A - 1

Sheffield Utd H - 3

Chelsea A - 0

Boro H - 3

Everton A - 1

City A - 3

West Ham A - 3

Total 35 (50) – 85 (87)

CHELSEA

Fulham H – 3 (1)

Villa A – 3 (1)

Wigan H – 3 (3)

Liverpool A – 1 (0)

Blackburn H - 3 (3)

Charlton A - 3 (3)

Boro H - 3

Man City A - 3

Portsmouth A - 1

Shef U H - 3

Watford A - 3

Spurs H - 3

West Ham A - 1

Man Utd H - 3

Newcastle A - 1

Bolton H 3

Arsenal A - 0

Everton H 3

Total 43 (46) 89 (84)

Blimey icon_biggrin.gif

(pg 312 or so if anyone else wants to check) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

pulling away now icon14.gificon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Snooky:

set up their winner last midweek as well. the one that got away, i'm telling y'all icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was at that game as a mate is a Saints fan.

Bale >>>>>>> Jones

More worrying Pearson > Jones </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

* > judging on one game tbf

Telegraph pretty much cumming all over Paddy and Vida today:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Vidic's display of defensive art and attacking edge

It was in January last year that Sir Alex Ferguson recruited Nemanja Vidic and Patrice Evra within a few days. Twelve months on and that decision could be described as anything from justified to inspired. The centre-half and the left-back now form one half of a resilient back four driving Manchester United towards another Premiership title.

True to recent form, both were outstanding at White Hart Lane yesterday, both played their part in a resounding win. Vidic battled, jumped, headed, kicked and scored in an all-action performance of tremendous stature. Similarly, Evra's agility, tenacity and skill rendered Aaron Lennon virtually redundant. In search of possibilities, Tottenham's young winger eventually switched sides.

Ferguson can feel fairly pleased. Here were two signings fulfilling their potential in a way that not all recruits have been able to emulate. Yet neither were exactly unknown before arriving at Old Trafford. You couldn't describe it as a case of being plucked from obscurity. Vidic had alerted all of Europe with his dynamic performances for Spartak Moscow while Evra's participation in Monaco's passage to the 2004 Champions League Final made him a target for several big guns.

Seeing the little Senegal-born Frenchman repelling all-comers here, it was difficult to imagine that his switch of position a few years back came by way of a fluke. Playing for Nice one day, the striker filled in at left-back for the last 15 minutes of a game. Having done so well, the coach kept him there for the rest of the season, despite continual protests from the reluctant defender.

There aren't many complaints now. In fact, it is difficult to see what would happen to Gareth Bale if Ferguson gets his way this summer and captures Southampton's 17 year-old left-back. A spell watching Evra from the bench would surely follow.

Likewise, Vidic is a great example to any student of the defensive art. This is a "proper", no-thrills competitor, content to find Row Z if need be but, equally, able to play the ball out neatly when the time is right. Maybe not in Rio Ferdinand's class but that's what makes this pair so compatible. The blend of qualities is right.

When it comes to venturing forward for set-pieces, the Serbia international's aggression in the air gives him the edge, with a bravery and determination that sees him cause problems.

He did it in the first half, attacking a Ryan Giggs corner to create an opening from which Cristiano Ronaldo should have scored.

Yet shortly into the second half, Vidic grasped the nettle to complete the business himself, charging in front of Michael Dawson at the near post to head home a Carrick corner.

He deserved it. Twice in the run-up to this strike, the defender had popped up to keep Spurs on the back foot. Firstly, a snap-shot from 20 yards was tipped over the bar by Paul Robinson. From the resulting corner, Vidic's deft flick-on nearly provided Michael Carrick with a goal on his return to the Lane. Instead, it created the corner from which United's second goal effectively ended the contest.

A great day all round then. United had produced one of their most compelling displays of the campaign to leave Chelsea in no doubt they are here for the long haul.

You could, in fact, imagine Jose Mourinho nodding with approval in his living room. In Evra and Vidic, United have two defenders of whom the Portuguese coach would heartily approve. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_cool.gif

Telegraph pretty much cumming all over Paddy and Vida today:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Vidic's display of defensive art and attacking edge

It was in January last year that Sir Alex Ferguson recruited Nemanja Vidic and Patrice Evra within a few days. Twelve months on and that decision could be described as anything from justified to inspired. The centre-half and the left-back now form one half of a resilient back four driving Manchester United towards another Premiership title.

True to recent form, both were outstanding at White Hart Lane yesterday, both played their part in a resounding win. Vidic battled, jumped, headed, kicked and scored in an all-action performance of tremendous stature. Similarly, Evra's agility, tenacity and skill rendered Aaron Lennon virtually redundant. In search of possibilities, Tottenham's young winger eventually switched sides.

Ferguson can feel fairly pleased. Here were two signings fulfilling their potential in a way that not all recruits have been able to emulate. Yet neither were exactly unknown before arriving at Old Trafford. You couldn't describe it as a case of being plucked from obscurity. Vidic had alerted all of Europe with his dynamic performances for Spartak Moscow while Evra's participation in Monaco's passage to the 2004 Champions League Final made him a target for several big guns.

Seeing the little Senegal-born Frenchman repelling all-comers here, it was difficult to imagine that his switch of position a few years back came by way of a fluke. Playing for Nice one day, the striker filled in at left-back for the last 15 minutes of a game. Having done so well, the coach kept him there for the rest of the season, despite continual protests from the reluctant defender.

There aren't many complaints now. In fact, it is difficult to see what would happen to Gareth Bale if Ferguson gets his way this summer and captures Southampton's 17 year-old left-back. A spell watching Evra from the bench would surely follow.

Likewise, Vidic is a great example to any student of the defensive art. This is a "proper", no-thrills competitor, content to find Row Z if need be but, equally, able to play the ball out neatly when the time is right. Maybe not in Rio Ferdinand's class but that's what makes this pair so compatible. The blend of qualities is right.

When it comes to venturing forward for set-pieces, the Serbia international's aggression in the air gives him the edge, with a bravery and determination that sees him cause problems.

He did it in the first half, attacking a Ryan Giggs corner to create an opening from which Cristiano Ronaldo should have scored.

Yet shortly into the second half, Vidic grasped the nettle to complete the business himself, charging in front of Michael Dawson at the near post to head home a Carrick corner.

He deserved it. Twice in the run-up to this strike, the defender had popped up to keep Spurs on the back foot. Firstly, a snap-shot from 20 yards was tipped over the bar by Paul Robinson. From the resulting corner, Vidic's deft flick-on nearly provided Michael Carrick with a goal on his return to the Lane. Instead, it created the corner from which United's second goal effectively ended the contest.

A great day all round then. United had produced one of their most compelling displays of the campaign to leave Chelsea in no doubt they are here for the long haul.

You could, in fact, imagine Jose Mourinho nodding with approval in his living room. In Evra and Vidic, United have two defenders of whom the Portuguese coach would heartily approve. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RedBlood:

How many positions has O'shea played for us now?

All but right wing and striker? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I could swear he played up front for a few minutes once, during a 'everyone - striker. now' moment.

That probably doesn't count, but still. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i'm pretty sure he's loafed his way around up front for us once too.

Like I care what Big Phil thinks, tell you something, this Ronaldo stuff is FANTASTIC, christ, the way people were talking he'd taken a MONSTER dive which he didn't, either way, today is a fantastic day.

Vidic icon_cool.gif (L)

Evra icon_cool.gif

all our defence ifb

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

Like I care what Big Phil thinks, tell you something, this Ronaldo stuff is FANTASTIC, christ, the way people were talking he'd taken a MONSTER dive which he didn't, either way, today is a fantastic day. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

problem is, the chances are an opposing defender could hack him apart with a machete inside the penalty box and the ref will be thinking 'dive'.

see how long it is before he gets another penalty.

Archived