The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heinze distances himself from summer exit talk

Gabriel Heinze insists he is still happy with life at Manchester United.

After a sparkling debut season with the Old Trafford outfit, Heinze missed virtually all of last term after rupturing cruciate ligaments in a Champions League tie against Villarreal.

Although the 28-year-old Argentina full-back recovered his fitness in time to appear for his country in the World Cup, the effort required to push himself to play in the summer meant he was not in good shape when he returned to United for pre-season training.

Since then, Heinze has struggled to oust Patrice Evra, with most of his 19 appearances this term coming from the bench.

A number of clubs, notably Juventus, have expressed an interest in the player, with most pundits feeling Heinze will leave at the end of the season.

However, the tough-tackling defender has confirmed he harbours no immediate desire to quit.

'I don't really take any interest in what is being said,' Heinze told MUTV.

'The only two people who matter are myself and the manager. If there is no desire on either of our parts for me to leave, that is great.

'All I am concentrating on are the next three months, so I can fight as hard as I can to get in the side and do as much as I can for Manchester United.'

After making just two substitute appearances so far in 2007, Heinze will be hopeful of being in Sir Alex Ferguson's line-up for tomorrow's Premiership encounter with relegation-threatened Charlton.

United have won 15 out of their 17 meetings with the Addicks since their last defeat - in 1989 - and victory tomorrow would complete a fifth successive Premiership double over Alan Pardew's men.

Of far more importance to Ferguson and his team, it would also consolidate a six-point lead over Chelsea at the top of the table.

As ever on international weeks, the United manager will hope his squad returns from their various commitments in tact.

Wayne Rooney is expected to have recovered from the ankle injury that kept him out of England's defeat to Spain but one change from the side which beat Tottenham is inevitable now goalkeeper Edwin van der Sar has confirmed he will be out for a fortnight with a broken nose.

Tomasz Kuszczak is the automatic replacement, the Poland international set to make only his third Premiership start since signing from West Brom in the summer.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

Fergie's built 4 teams (hopefully) already 92, 96, 99, 07, so the next team would be a 5th one. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think it's more 94, 99 and 07 that are the three teams. 96 and 99 were virtually the same.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ericcantona7:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

Fergie's built 4 teams (hopefully) already 92, 96, 99, 07, so the next team would be a 5th one. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think it's more 94, 99 and 07 that are the three teams. 96 and 99 were virtually the same. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

nah, i think there's enough difference between 96 and 99 that they both deserve listing. the 96 team was the foundation on which the 99 team was built, but there were enough changes in terms of personnel and experience for it to be classed as a different team.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

Erm, Gonch, how did you get a lille? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

contacts baby icon_cool.gif

dont forget, i did copenhagen too so i was slightly higher up the ladder

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

I've got your number mate, don't worry. Yeah it's first timers tradition to get the beer.

STELLA only or I'll set Keith on you </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Martin said that ? icon_biggrin.gif

Look, I'm the cheapskate one, Ali lives in London, ergo has money.

You coming tomorrow Beardy? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, mate. No ticket. But I can live with that.

Sorry that I'll miss Ali, though.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JulesMUFC:

i wouldve gone with 94 99 03 07 tbf </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

whs

Ruud icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

:*)

Though 2003 really was the start of the transitional period between the 1999 team and the current side I guess, I'd probably put it at the end of the 1999 side if anything. One description I remember of that season was that it was the last stand of a great side, and as it turned out, I think that was quite accurate.

But still, what a side :*)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Razor Eddie:

Look, I'm the cheapskate one, Ali lives in London, ergo has money.

You coming tomorrow Beardy? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, mate. No ticket. But I can live with that.

Sorry that I'll miss Ali, though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sick bastard

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> "Wayne will get a rest next week because he can't play against Reading, so maybe we will give him a few days off," confirmed Ferguson. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

\o/

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ericcantona7:

I think it's more 94, 99 and 07 that are the three teams. 96 and 99 were virtually the same. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

nah, i think there's enough difference between 96 and 99 that they both deserve listing. the 96 team was the foundation on which the 99 team was built, but there were enough changes in terms of personnel and experience for it to be classed as a different team. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

maybe but I think 96 was just halfway between 94 and 99, i.e players from 94 who were at the end of their careers (Bruce, Cantona etc) or players from the 99 side at the beginning of their careers (Scholes, Beckham etc), was there anyone in the 96 side who was in neither the 94 nor 99 sides?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JulesMUFC:

i wouldve gone with 94 99 03 07 tbf </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

whs

Ruud icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

:*)

Though 2003 really was the start of the transitional period between the 1999 team and the current side I guess, I'd probably put it at the end of the 1999 side if anything. One description I remember of that season was that it was the last stand of a great side, and as it turned out, I think that was quite accurate.

But still, what a side :*) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The 03 side was superb for that great run in, but we're talking 4-5 months tops. That doesn't compare to the other sides we're comparing them with. As for the 07 side, it's done nothing yet, and given the age of some of the players i'd be surprised if the make up of the team stays the same long enough to call it another great side. It may be the basis of another one, but we'll have to buy (or promote) some more pretty special players for that to happen imo.

Yeah I hear what you're saying about the 2003 side, it's more of a personal favourite I guess, not far off the treble season in terms of enjoyment for me.

As for the current side yeah, the problem for me is the same as ever, long-term replacements for Scholes/Giggs/Keane/maybe VDS, and to a lesser extent Ole/Neville.

Still, if we can win a couple of things this season and next season (which we won't xpessimisimdoomrelegationetcetc), then arguably it might be classed as a great side in its own right. Time will tell on that I guess.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

nah, i think there's enough difference between 96 and 99 that they both deserve listing. the 96 team was the foundation on which the 99 team was built, but there were enough changes in terms of personnel and experience for it to be classed as a different team. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

maybe but I think 96 was just halfway between 94 and 99, i.e players from 94 who were at the end of their careers (Bruce, Cantona etc) or players from the 99 side at the beginning of their careers (Scholes, Beckham etc), was there anyone in the 96 side who was in neither the 94 nor 99 sides? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

between the 96 and 99 first XI's, there's only really two changes. Stam for Bruce and Yorke for Cantona. You can argue the other centre back a bit, and the replacements were a bit more varied, but it's basically the same team but with grown ups instead of kids.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Blaine:

(meant to add) do you think he'll play tomorrow? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Depends on this "heavy cold" I guess.

maybe but I think 96 was just halfway between 94 and 99, i.e players from 94 who were at the end of their careers (Bruce, Cantona etc) or players from the 99 side at the beginning of their careers (Scholes, Beckham etc), was there anyone in the 96 side who was in neither the 94 nor 99 sides? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

not really. David May I suppose, was a fringe player in 94 and 99 and first choice for lots of 96. same with Nicky Butt i guess. but no-one who came and went between.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Weststandred:

http://www.si-sv1646.com/showthread.php?t=35909

he's serious too. icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

nah, that's a blatant windup icon_biggrin.gif

some of the responses however...

try digging up the thread about 'this is the one' and some people's suggestions for new music to run out to. my personal favourite suggestion was the Countdown music.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

between the 96 and 99 first XI's, there's only really two changes. Stam for Bruce and Yorke for Cantona. You can argue the other centre back a bit, and the replacements were a bit more varied, but it's basically the same team but with grown ups instead of kids. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

you can definitely argue the other centre-back - Pallister/May in 96, Johnsen/Berg/Brown in 99. otherwise agreed though ofc.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

between the 96 and 99 first XI's, there's only really two changes. Stam for Bruce and Yorke for Cantona. You can argue the other centre back a bit, and the replacements were a bit more varied, but it's basically the same team but with grown ups instead of kids. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

you can definitely argue the other centre-back - Pallister/May in 96, Johnsen/Berg/Brown in 99. otherwise agreed though ofc. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Of course. I even worked out that Johnsen joined after Euro 96, then forgot that was the 96/97 season icon_rolleyes.gif

FC United are on the back of the Chorley Guardian (local paper).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Come on down: FC United fans would be welcome at Chorley Football Club. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It looks as though Chorley will be playing FC United next season, so the chairman is thinking of the money he'll make from the FC fans.

Did any of the FC United fans on here come to Victory Park (Chorley's ground) last season when you played some team without a ground? I think their name might have been Daisy Hill or something similar.

Ye I went last year, and we played there this year too. Dont think its quite set in stone that we will play them yet, only the winners of our league go up(there may be more teams going up though depending on the restructuring), they are close to relegation too I think

Yeah we have been a couple of times (last season Daisy Hill, this season Atherton LR). Decent ground and club house and reasonably easy to get to on the train. Like Dean says, it depends on how both clubs do this season in terms of relegation/promotion.

I went on when you played Daisy Hill, decent support, I think you won 4-0, I can remember you had some huuuuge black bastard striker.

As for today, how many Charlton fans will there be, i'd say around 1,500 (same as Wigan). I remember going to this game in 98/99 season they took an early lead and started singing "We are top of the league!" But we won 4-1 in the end or something. icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I went on when you played Daisy Hill, decent support, I think you won 4-0, I can remember you had some huuuuge black bastard striker. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ex man city and aberdeen striker, leon mike eats too many pies, got good touch, leon mike icon_biggrin.gif

he has left us this season after struggling to get match fit.

Alleged team:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

GK: Kuszczak

RB: Neville

CB: Ferdinand

CB: Vidic

LB: Evra

RM: Park

CM: Fletcher

CM: Scholes

LM: Giggs

CF: Rooney

CF: Saha </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Archived