The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scatter:

don't wanna say too much because of spoilers, but - IT'S ON! icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I might have to make an apology as regarding that icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

Having to get score updates from SSN is the worst thing ever.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's the main commentary on 5Live </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Main commentary = going to other games every other second, drives me mad. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Better than 'live' stream </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh I don't do streams either, I'll settle for SSN.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wilbie:

6/1 for united to win the league by 6 points lads - thinking of throwing 50 quid on it </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is that by at least 6 points, or 6 points exactly?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wilbie:

6/1 for united to win the league by 6 points lads - thinking of throwing 50 quid on it </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is that by at least 6 points, or 6 points exactly? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

anchester United 6/1 To Win Title By Six From Chelsea

Bookies William Hill have opened a book on which of the Premiership Big Four will score the most goals this weekend, and they make Manchester United, up against Charlton, their 13/8 favourites, with Arsenal, who play Wigan offered at 9/4, ahead of Chelsea, taking on Middlesbro, at 5/2 while Liverpool are 5/1 outsiders as they go to Newcastle.

Manchester United have been backed from 8/1 to 6/1 with William Hill to win the Premiership by six points from runners-up Chelsea.

The six point gap has remained steady for the past few weeks and the bookies offer 4/11 that that remains the margin between the two after their games on Saturday, and also bet 10/1 that United will go nine points clear; 4/1 eight; 50/1 seven; 66/1 that the gap is reduced to five; 11/2 four; 16/1 three.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

As always, Park and Fletch to both get hat-tricks icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, one each will do icon_cool.gif

Stupid bet either way. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

whs. I'm no gambler, but 6-2 sounds rubbish odds given the number of different winning margins there could be, including Chelsea winning it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

Stupid bet either way. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

whs. I'm no gambler, but 6-2 sounds rubbish odds given the number of different winning margins there could be, including Chelsea winning it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Also, I don't think I'd ever bet £50 on anything, my pessimism would get the better of me* icon_biggrin.gif

*except one instance but ssh

Was worried at 1-0 but it's hard when you can't see it, Charlie Nicholas was making out that it was really close.

But still, good solid win, brilliant scorers from my point of view, very pleased icon14.gif

Furthermore, Liverpool losing, West Ham losing, Sheff Utd winning, my word today's results bordering on perfection for me.

A win is a win. And it's all that matters really.

Lack of standout performances today.

oh yeah, Richardson came on and basically had 3 touches.

One successful pass 5 yards sideways.

One ridiculously hopeful shot from 35 yards that flew well wide.

One pass to a Charlton player.

SO USEFUL

Was worried at 1-0 but it's hard when you can't see it, Charlie Nicholas was making out that it was really close.

But still, good solid win, brilliant scorers from my point of view, very pleased icon14.gif

Furthermore, Liverpool losing, West Ham losing, Sheff Utd winning, my word today's results bordering on perfection for me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Didn't watch the 1st half but from the 2nd half Charlton were never really threatening except for one set piece when the ball flew inches wide and that was it. It was more down to United playing extremely casual than Charlton being any good.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

A win is a win. And it's all that matters really.

Lack of standout performances today.

oh yeah, Richardson came on and basically had 3 touches.

One successful pass 5 yards sideways.

One ridiculously hopeful shot from 35 yards that flew well wide.

One pass to a Charlton player.

SO USEFUL </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh you forgetting when he tried to run down the wing.

His try was halted when the Charlton player got the ball without even tackling him ffs icon_biggrin.gif

Nice to see my decision to block Pires was correct icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This means that you read his post anyway. Why bother blocking him in that case ? icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Razor Eddie:

Nice to see my decision to block Pires was correct icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This means that you read his post anyway. Why bother blocking him in that case ? icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I like to give people a chance to change. I thought Poyple was a twat when he first appeared, but he hasbecome a mainstay of OTF, plus he's not a bad person in real life.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Ignored post by Pires777 posted 11 February 2007 04:04 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

Pires is so cool </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

he is now.

life. is. good. icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rcjuk:

oh and for 20 minutes of the second half the crowd was rocking. How it should be all the time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That was brilliant - shame I couldn't understand what they were singing.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Club plan Munich tribute

United have announced preliminary plans to mark the 50th anniversary of the Munich Air Disaster which falls next year.

Twenty-three people died in the tragedy on 6 February 1958, including eight of the Busby Babes, following the team’s European Cup clash with Red Star Belgrade.

Geoff Bent, Roger Byrne, Eddie Colman, Mark Jones, David Pegg, Tommy Taylor, Liam Whelan and Duncan Edwards all lost their lives, together with three club officials – Walter Crickmer (Secretary), Tom Curry (trainer) and Bert Whalley (coach). Eight journalists and four civilians also perished in the crash.

United chief executive David Gill is leading a small group in developing the plans to commemorate the significant anniversary. It is likely that the occasion will be marked by a substantial permanent memorial in addition to those already in place at Old Trafford. A special memorial service is also planned and will be held at the stadium on 6 February next year.

“The Munich Air Disaster is so much a part of the very fabric of Manchester United,†said Gill. “Everyone who works at the club and who follows the club knows the significance of this terrible tragedy and the impact it has had upon the history of United.

"Our job is to ensure that such a major milestone, as the 50th anniversary undoubtedly is, captures the importance of the event. We owe it to our young fans to keep fresh the memory of those who lost their lives in service to the club.

“It is right that this tribute will be both significant and easily accessible to all who visit the ground,†he added. “This permanent exhibition will be in addition to the already existing monuments at Old Trafford. We will continue to share our plans with fans as they progress.â€

As a mark of respect at the Charlton game the players will wear black armbands and the club flag will fly at half-mast. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Vida pleased with clean sheet

Reds defender Nemanja Vidic acknowledged that it was far from a vintage United performance against Charlton, but says the three points are all that matters.

Fans inside Old Trafford perhaps expected a landslide victory after beating Watford and Tottenham 4-0 in the last two matches, but this game was much closer.

"We thought before the game that we might score more goals," Vidic told MUTV. "But it wasn't easy. We have to be pleased, though, because it is another three points.

It was United's third clean sheet in a row, which pleased the Serbian centre-back. "We won the game, scored two goals and didn't concede. We have to be happy with that. It's important that we don't concede goals."

Vidic was, however, disappointed with United's start to the game. "In the first 30 minutes we made too many mistakes. But after Ji's goal we played a lot better. We had a lot of chances and we could have done better with some of them.

"We have two difficult away games now (against Fulham and Liverpool), they are very important matches for us." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Squad pleases Fergie

Sir Alex Ferguson was content to witness Manchester United's squad strength come to the fore in the 2-0 win over Charlton Athletic.

In a scrappy performance against the Premiership strugglers, headed goals from Park Ji-sung and Darren Fletcher ensured United remain six points clear at the top of the table.

Park had replaced the flu-ridden Cristiano Ronaldo in the team, while Fletcher took the place of the injured Michael Carrick, and Ferguson felt it was again important to see the depth at his disposal.

"There were parts of the game where we had good possession without any great threat in our game," Ferguson told Sky Sports News.

"We keep stressing this point that it's vital that the squad players get miles on the clock.

"When we need them, they will need that experience and games behind them, and it proved itself again today."

Charlton put up a gritty display at Old Trafford and Ferguson paid tribute to the visitors for their approach to the game.

He added: "Give credit to Charlton, they were one of the brighter teams of anyone who has been here.

"They showed that the manager has galvanised and organised them, and they had the confidence to play, which is very difficult when you are down at the bottom.

"A lot of teams come to Old Trafford and lack that confidence to go and express themselves. I thought they did very well and made it difficult for us.

"There wasn't any real goal threat, but when it's only 1-0, it only takes a second to lose a goal and that was worrying for me and everyone watching." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Tykes to sign United youth

Barnsley have agreed a deal to sign Manchester United midfielder Ritchie Jones until the end of the season.

Jones has yet to establish himself in United's first-team ranks and will drop down to the Championship for the second time this season.

Back in the autumn, the youngster linked up with Colchester United and made six substitute appearances.

He will now enjoy the remainder of the campaign at Oakwell, with the loan move to be completed on Monday.

The midfielder, whose sole appearance for The Red Devils this season came against Crewe Alexandra in the Carling Cup, could make his Barnsley debut next weekend against Southampton.

Jones will become the second player on loan to The Tykes from the Premiership leaders, with full-back Adam Eckersley having started four games for the club. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rcjuk:

oh and for 20 minutes of the second half the crowd was rocking. How it should be all the time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

whs. Calypso ftw.

I'm such a skav that I now owe Ryan £2.50 icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scoham:

How did Charlton especially the new players do? (Song, Bougherra and Zheng Zhi) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

From what Charlie Nicholas said on Soccer Saturday, he liked Song and Zhi.

Bardsley's United hurt

Phil Bardsley admits it would hurt if he did not play for Manchester United again.

The right-back is spending the second half of the season on loan at Aston Villa after an unsuccessful first half at Rangers.

With Gary Neville blocking his path at Old Trafford, Bardsley accepts he may not have the chance to add to his 17 appearances for the club.

"Of course," Bardsley told The Independent when asked if it would be saddening if he had played his last game for United.

"Sometimes it hurts, but you have to be honest and say 'Maybe it wasn't meant to be'.

"Look at David Beckham and Nicky Butt. They left Old Trafford and did pretty well."

Bardsley accepts the presence of Neville has made it tough to break into the United side, but he has nothing but respect for the club's captain.

He added: "It's difficult to have such a great player and professional ahead of you. You've got to step aside because he's the best right-back in the business.

"He'll take some shifting because of his hunger to succeed. It's the same with Paul Scholes and Ryan Giggs.

"When they win something, they don't sit back and bask in the glory. They go again. Gary's captain now, so he will be more like that than ever.

"I thought I did quite well when I got in the side, but sometimes you have to hold your hands up and say 'Fair enough'.

"I just hope some of Gary's desire and competitiveness has rubbed off on me. I'm confident it has." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He has pretty much given up on a career with us then judging by that interview.

song did well apart from when he theatrically dives, got up an did a ****ing stupid leg hop then started sprinting again. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dunno what the hell he was doing there

Archived