The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lower stretty, honestly that was probably the worst game i have ever been to. i was set next to some FAT FAT man so could hardly breathe and my legs were crushed by the guy behind me, so i was basically like a cold, uncomfortable sardine crammed into a section where all i could hear were idiots insulting the likes of park and fletcher. singing or standing was not an option.

i just couldnt wait to leave.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Francis Cole:

Just seen that Mitchell Bryant is a -9 in FM icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

not any more he isn't.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Francis Cole:

Saw this in the data forum (Man Utd thread) but wanted to post it here:

Nick OGS20 :"9 equates to a CA of 150-180, if you handle them right they'll hit the upper reaches of that bracket "

I'm sure that was just atyping error, but just wanted to make sure you don't actually think that's how the minus numbers work? icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif (Not trying to make a case that they should be -10)

And someone on that thread trying to make out Dos Santos shouldn't be -10 icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Cheers </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

a) icon_smile.gif is bad. leave that smug rubbish to Ratinho

b) as i understand it -9 means a player could reach a CA of between 150-180. if that's wrong please correct me.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

Nick OGS20 :"9 equates to a CA of 150-180, if you handle them right they'll hit the upper reaches of that bracket "

I'm sure that was just atyping error, but just wanted to make sure you don't actually think that's how the minus numbers work? icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif (Not trying to make a case that they should be -10)

And someone on that thread trying to make out Dos Santos shouldn't be -10 icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

b) as i understand it -9 means a player could reach a CA of between 150-180. if that's wrong please correct me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're mostly right. Whether the player's PA in question hits 150, 180, or somewhere in between has nothing to do with how you handle them, it's just random when you start the game.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Young Jimlad:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

I want Foster in as #1 personally. controversial perhaps.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rationale please?

Also thats a fair point that PJ made about the potential promoted teams and Foster going back out on loan. I have a feeling that Bruce would stick with Taylor but Derby and Preston (the latter defo when you consider that Carlo Nash is their #1) are very viable candidates. Heck West Brom would be another option if they came up. Just based on the rep of the club I'd rather Cardiff wasn't considered if they made their way through the playoffs & I'm not sure Burley would abandon Kelvin Davies at Soton. Obvi if Keano got Sunderland up that'd be an option as well. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's a weird situation. VDS has a contract until 2008, Kuszczak's signing will be made permanent in the summer and yet Fergie has still said Ben will be back with us next season. None of those are going to happily play #3 I'd guess.

I'm not I really have any logical rationale for wanting Foster in as #1. I've just been so impressed with him over the last couple of seasons and would like to see him in the team sooner rather than later. I'm not sure that another season spent facing a barrage of shots at one of the weakest teams in the league is going to be of any real benefit to him now. If he does go out on loan, I just hope there's a team slightly better than that who'll maybe take him for the season - struggling to think of any now though :/

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AllStar4:

b) as i understand it -9 means a player could reach a CA of between 150-180. if that's wrong please correct me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're mostly right. Whether the player's PA in question hits 150, 180, or somewhere in between has nothing to do with how you handle them, it's just random when you start the game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

so how you train them, the experience you give them on loan, possible tutors you might give them etc has no effect? that's disappointing :/

for me, we can maybe afford to send foster out on loan for one more year before he gets restless. so i would do that, loan him to someone like derby (if they go up) and keep kuszczak as number 2 to edwin. then at the end of next season i would expect foster to have the experience and confidence to become the number one, with vds retiring after euro 2008 as he said he might.

oh,

MotM:

1) Ji-Sung Park (thought he was very bright, a bundle of energy)

2) Nemanja Vidic (quality display at the back)

and another thing. alan smith played against southend, back in early-mid november. he was clearly unfit but its now february. how long does an 'intensive fitness regime' take ffs, surely hes at least fit enough for a sub appearance?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

as i understand it -9 means a player could reach a CA of between 150-180. if that's wrong please correct me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, but that number is decided when you start a new game. "if you handle them right they'll hit the upper reaches of that bracket" sounds like if you handle them right they will reach 180ish. If FM has decided in one game that this -9 = 150, then even if you handle them correctly they will still only ever get to 150 max.

Just wanted to make sure you didn't think it was 150-180 in every game and if the user handles them right they will reach nearer 180, and if they handle them bad its more to 150.

p.s. Not being smug, I always include them

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">so how you train them, the experience you give them on loan, possible tutors you might give them etc has no effect? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It helps his CA reach his PA (whatever that may be) it doesn't change his PA though

If we end up with the 3 keepers next season, and Foster doesn't get #1 I would quite like him to go to a team like Villa (on loan, obviously) - they need a decent keeper and have a good manager who will build a really decent team, could be the next step up from just parrying shot after shot for what equates to a sub standard championship team. Or of course, any similar team aslong as he gets first team. If he isnt going to be playing here he may aswell play elsewhere, aslong as hes getting the right experience he needs.

Remembered that Vidic chant I was on about yesterday, but can't remember the name of the tune so don't know how much help it'll be:

NEMANJA! You know, that its Vidic alongside Rio! [Repeat ad infinitum]

...I really have been racking my brains for the 'real song' its using as a base and I *think* that lyrics are...

Its magic! You know, always believe in your soul!

...or something to that effect at least.

"Magic"

(As recorded by Pilot)

DAVID PATON

BILL LYALL

Oh, ho, ho it's magic, you know

Never believe it's not so

It's magic, you know

Never believe it's not so.

Never been awake

Never seen a day break

Leaning on my pillow in the morning

Lazy day in bed

Music in my head

Crazy music playing in the morning light.

It's magic, you know

I love my sunny day

Dream of far away

Dreaming on my pillow in the morning

Never been awake

Never seen a day break

Leaning on my pillow in the morning light.

It's magic, you know

It's magic, you know

© Copyright 1975 by WB Music Corp. All rights reserved.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rcjuk:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Young Jimlad:

There we go, cheers Mart. Don't know where that bit about souls came in icon_biggrin.gif

Anyway, mystery solved. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It could be GOLD by spandex ballet? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Excellent. Everything's falling into place...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

anyway yeah - someone create a song for Carrick </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There's been a couple of attempts haven't there - that 'Michael Carrick is a red' which says something about keeping your Alonso's and Fabregas's? Nothing's really caught on though.

Which is a shame, because Carrick's impressing me more and more every game. He's exactly the type of player I've always liked (Neil Webb ftw icon_cool.gif ) and I genuinely think he's proving he was worth the money we paid for him.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

Neil Webb is number 1 in my all time list of most despised United players. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Die.

His pass to Lee Martin in the 1990 FA Cup Final Replay >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> *

FACT icon_mad.gif

(In actual fact I was young and impressionable and it lasted about 6 months. Then I realised he was shyte and even a 35 year old Bryan Robson was heaps better.)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

Neil Webb is number 1 in my all time list of most despised United players. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why is that?

He was a very good player up until his achilles injury

I really liked Webb when he was at Forest and was delighted that United signed him as I've always been a sucker for that type of elegant ball-playing midfielder, perhaps even more so because United have seldom had them.

His injury meant that his United career effectively ended before he had a chance to really show what he could do, but there was enough in the first month to suggest he could have become a great player for us.

His attitude

His wife

His lies

That substitution

His departure

His bitching </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Care to elaborate on some/all of those?

At the moment Carrick is the junior partner to Scholes but if eventually Hargreaves or a similar type of player comes in as his partner, do you think he's good enough to be the main central creative player or will his job be just to shuttle the ball wide and to Rooney efficiently and let them do their job?

His attitude - Yes, it was a nasty injury but if he'd put down the pies once in a while...once Ince arrived he seemed to give up.

His wife - Oh come on, how annoying was she!? What was that early 90's TV show called with the scouse fella?

His lies - Going behind SAF's back to tell Taylor he was fit for England, despite United saying he needed to rest...IIRC he was injured in training prior to the international/

That substitution - Waddling off the pitch very very slowly when we were getting beat by Forest at Easter 02.

His departure - From memory he acted like an arse about his pay-off / departure to Forest.

His bitching - Straight to the NOTW to have a go at SAF when given half a chance.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rcjuk:

Jim juts has a generic hate template for players.

That one fits ruud aswell. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif

scholes has improved carrick's game so much its frightening

Carrick is scholes.

Few more seasons next to captain ginger and he'll be world class. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He probably can match him in passing ability and tackling but definitely not in anything else.

What was that early 90's TV show called with the scouse fella?

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Standing Room Only wasn't it?

She was a kind of a more awful version of Anthea Turner (if that's possible).

He should have certainly controlled his weight better being a professional athlete but post injury he wasn't half the player he was (no pun intended). Rememember he snapped his achilles and at a time when there wasn't certainly the medical advances of the last 10 years in football. I think the pies/weight issue is irrelevant, he was never going to be as good again no matter how fit he became. A shame that he didn't seem to be able to mentally cope with it either. He became a postman didn't he because of the lack of hassle?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Former Manchester United winger Andrei Kanchelskis has retired from football.

The 38-year-old, who also played for Everton, Rangers, Manchester City and Southampton, won two Premiership titles and an FA Cup while at Old Trafford.

"You need to leave at the right time," said Kanchelskis, who won 36 caps for Russia, after Krylia Sovetov released him and he failed to find a new club.

"Now seems a suitable moment to begin a new chapter in my footballing life," he told Russian newspaper Sport Express.

Despite being born in Ukraine, where he started his career with Dynamo Kiev and Shakhtar Donetsk, Kanchelskis opted to play for Russia following the fall of the Soviet Union.

He moved to Old Trafford in March 1991 in a £650,000 deal and scored 36 goals in 162 appearances before a £5m move to Everton in 1995, where he scored 16 times in his first season.

Two more big-money moves followed in 1997 when he joined Italian side Fiorentina for £8m, before returning to Britain with Rangers in a £5.5m move in 1998.

While at the Ibrox club he added to his tally of silverware with a role in their domestic treble in 1999 and a subsequent League and Cup double the following season.

After short spells at City and Saints and in Saudi Arabia with Al-Hilal, Kanchelskis spent the twilight of his career in his homeland with Saturn Moscow and Krylia Sovetov.

Initially he was keen to prolong his playing days after a superb season with the Samara club.

"I have enough desire and energy to continue," he had said.

"I played 22 games for Krilya Sovetov last year, I feel no tiredness at all and I think I did well.

"I'm sure I'll find a new team very soon, I have no doubts.

"I have a couple of offers from abroad but, to be honest, I would prefer to play in a Russian club."

However, he has now decided to hang up his boots.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by hairwad:

He should have certainly controlled his weight better being a professional athlete but post injury he wasn't half the player he was (no pun intended). Rememember he snapped his achilles and at a time when there wasn't certainly the medical advances of the last 10 years in football. I think the pies/weight issue is irrelevant, he was never going to be as good again no matter how fit he became. A shame that he didn't seem to be able to mentally cope with it either. He became a postman didn't he because of the lack of hassle? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Footballers generally weren't regarded as "professional athletes" back then either. Gazza's weight fluctuation was far worse but he was talented enough to get by when not at 100% fitness. Webb just lacked the determination to overcome his injury though I guess deep down he knew he would never be the same player.

Forest were mugs to pay as much as they did to have him back. It could only have been based on his former glories.

How many people have been to the wall now? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ali fits in nicely icon_cool.gif

For one , he doesn't look like a paedophile which is a good start. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm never coming to the wall again. I'm taking the 2.50 profit and being done with it. My dastardly plan has come to full fruition.

I think general consensus on the whole 'Carrick as Scholes' hypothesis is that he won't be as forward thinking / lying as the ginger prince, but will act as a deep lying playmaker with a more energetic central midfielder alongside him (Hargreaves / AN Other). This way we'll probably have Giggs / our Giggs replacement performing a much more attacking, wide role, not tucking in as much as Ryan has this season.

Archived