The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by theis:

I've never visited the wall. As I always go with my mate I don't think i could ever ask him if he fancies heading down early to drink beer with a bunch of geeks of the internet icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The next time I'm up (next month) you should come and talk auditing with me. That'd be cool, wouldn't it? WOULDN'T IT? icon_mad.gif

Had them yet anyway? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif can't wait.

I have an assessment day with KPMG coming up in a fortnight.

I also have a telephone interview with Ernst & Young in approx 45 minutes \o/

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

Heard something about Fletcher yesterday. He's apparently confided in friends that if he isn't starting regularly from next season, he'll leave for Rangers next January. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fair enough. Can't blame the lad. I wonder if he'd feel differently though if he were ahead of O'Shea in the pecking order - still not first XI, but the first choice back up as it were.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by theis:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

I've never visited the wall. As I always go with my mate I don't think i could ever ask him if he fancies heading down early to drink beer with a bunch of geeks of the internet icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The next time I'm up (next month) you should come and talk auditing with me. That'd be cool, wouldn't it? WOULDN'T IT? icon_mad.gif

Had them yet anyway? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif can't wait.

I have an assessment day with KPMG coming up in a fortnight.

I also have a telephone interview with Ernst & Young in approx 45 minutes \o/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

All the best mate icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

Heard something about Fletcher yesterday. He's apparently confided in friends that if he isn't starting regularly from next season, he'll leave for Rangers next January. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fair enough. Can't blame the lad. I wonder if he'd feel differently though if he were ahead of O'Shea in the pecking order - still not first XI, but the first choice back up as it were. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed, he's at an age now where he needs to be starting regularly, and is good enough to be starting more than he is so all the best to him if he were to go. Should we sign Hargreaves then he's as good as gone.

With Fergies talk of youngsters making a bid to push out some of the senior members of the squad next season who would you get rid of to allow those youngsters the chance to step up?

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

Van Der Sar, Kuszczak, Foster

Neville, Brown, Ferdinand, Vidic, Silvestre, Heinze, Evra

Ronaldo, Park, Scholes, Carrick, Fletcher, O'Shea, Giggs, Richardson

Saha, Rooney, Solskjaer, Smith

</pre>

I'm a bit slack and don't know enough about our youngsters coming through to know which area of the team we're strongest in there. But Lee Martin's got to be better than Richardson - in fact I know he is, by virtue of the fact that he can pass a ****ing football. So KR can gtf. Move O'Shea to the 'defenders' part of the squad to cover left back. Silvestre goes, Gabby too (probably for the best, he's too good to sit on the bench icon_frown.gif ), Simpson promoted to reserve right back, get Pique back as reserve centre back. Rossi in as an attacker, no-one out unless someone else comes in. Another central midfielder in.

Sorted.

Keep

Van Der Sar (but allow to leave on a free next summer)

Foster

Neville

Brown (borderline)

Ferdinand

Vidic

Evra

Ronaldo

Scholes

Carrick

Giggs

Rooney

Solskjaer

Sell if the right offer comes in and the money is used on new players

Kuszczak

Heinze

Park (yeah, yeah, yeah)

Fletcher

Smith*

Saha*

*Assuming a new striker comes in one of these would move down to the next group

Look to get rid

Silvestre

O'Shea

Euthanasia if nobody is stupid enough to bid.

Richardson

That’s all based on very good offers for the 2nd group and assuming the incoming players will be better (obviously).

Keep Saha, he's fb when match fit. There aren't actually many better options out there if you're looking for someone who's quick, got good movement but can still hold the ball up and is decent in the air.

Honestly, if he was a more instinctive finisher he'd be MILES better than Ruud. As it is, he's only a tad better. icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

oh no ali what have you done?

cue a page of 'ruuuuuuuuuuud' posts and youtube clips icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It happens every page tbf, my post makes not a blind bit of difference.

I enjoyed the Neil Webb chat yesterday though. It's good to remember the less celebrated heros of yesteryear.

Danny Wallace wfb too :*)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> David Beckham will be back at Old Trafford next month after being named first on the all-star Europe XI squad list to face United in the Jubilee Charity Match on 13 March.

Beckham, who gave eleven years' service to the Reds before departing for Real Madrid in 2003, will be joined by Liverpool pair Steven Gerrard and Jamie Carragher.

The special match marks two jubilees: Manchester United's half-century of involvement in European competitions; and the 50th anniversary of the Treaty of Rome, which laid the foundations for a united Europe. It is being staged by the Manchester United Foundation and UEFA, with support from the European Union. All the proceeds from the celebration match will go to charity.

David Beckham was the first to accept his invitation to the match and is excited about the prospect of returning to Old Trafford. He said: “I'm happy I’m going to play on March 13th. It will be something special to go back to Old Trafford, and I’m really looking forward to it."

He will be joined by former England team-mates Carragher and Gerrard, also named in the all-star European squad selected by Italy’s world champion Marcello Lippi, who will be head coach of the Europe XI.

"It is an honour for our club that two of our players have been selected to represent Europe,†Liverpool boss Rafael Benítez said. “I know that they feel very privileged to be in the team and that they will enjoy playing alongside the top players from other clubs."

“I’m looking forward to the match,†said Gerrard. "It’s a pleasure to play alongside the top players – especially if the match earns some money for charity.â€

Carragher added: “I feel proud that a coach like Marcello Lippi has selected me for the European team,†Jamie Carragher comments. “It’s a real honour.â€

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Neville to break Carragher's and Gerrard's legs please. (only if he plays ofc.)

Talking of Beckham, I was looking through all my old junk the other day and found my 'David Beckham King of all Cockneys' flag, it's about 8-9 years old, but it has no stick.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Eric tells Ron: Be like Giggs

Cristiano Ronaldo has been told to use Ryan Giggs as inspiration and keep on playing at Old Trafford for years to come.

Since joining the Reds in 2003, the 22-year-old Portuguese winger has gone from being relatively unknown, though full of potential, to being considered the best player in the world by Sir Alex Ferguson.

There has been speculation of his future in recent weeks, but one of his friends, former Reds midfielder Eric Djemba-Djemba, says Ronaldo is enjoying his football.

"I speak to Ronaldo on the phone all the time and we meet up for a coffee and go out a lot in Manchester,†said the former Nantes midfielder, now on loan from Aston Villa with Championship side Burnley.

“I've been telling him to stay in England, not to go to Spain. I think he understands that, I know he does. He tells me he is not leaving. The manager at United likes him, the players like him and the fans like him. So why go?â€

During Djemba-Djemba’s time at United following a £3.5million move to Old Trafford, the Cameroonian looked up to Giggs.

Just three matches off 700 appearances for United, the Welshman is an inspirational figure at the club.

“He should use Ryan Giggs as an example,†says Eric. “When United played against Villa this season I went into their dressing room and said to Giggs: 'You're 33 and you're still as quick as ever. How do you do it? You're amazing'."

"Cristiano is settled and everything is going well for him now, but who knows what might happen if he changed clubs and went abroad?

"He is one of the leading scorers in the Premiership, which is fantastic for a wide player.

"But I think he can wait to move to a club like Barcelona or Real Madrid, he is still only 22. If he wants, he could move in three or four years and still have some good seasons there.â€

And Djemba-Djemba feels there is every reason to stick around, with success just around the corner for the Reds. “I think United will win the Premiership this year,†he says, before adding: “I hope they do.â€

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Djemba-Djemba \o/

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">"At this moment he is one of the world's top three, along with Ronaldinho and Deco," Viana said.

"He has worked really hard to get to this point and it won't be long before he moves to a more important club such as Barcelona or Real Madrid.

"It is difficult for a team like Manchester United to keep him."

Eyebrows will be raised at the assumption that the Spanish duo are a bigger club than United, and Sir Alex Ferguson's record of keeping hold of his prized assets is excellent - unless he has a fall-out with the player concerned.

"If Barcelona or Real Madrid really want him they will sign him," continued the Newcastle flop whose career has been rejuvenated by moving to Spain.

"He has not got much left at United. Furthermore, Spain is the perfect league for him."

Viana added that he mentioned the rumours to international team-mate Ronaldo last week but that he did not say anything on them because "he is a very private person." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hugo Viana /o\

Just **** off you prima donna flop.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

Given me a good chuckle anyway so wp icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

it hasnt really though has it? you're burning up inside

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

Given me a good chuckle anyway so wp icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

it hasnt really though has it? you're burning up inside

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SLO_Fila:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">"At this moment he is one of the world's top three, along with Ronaldinho and Deco," Viana said.

"He has worked really hard to get to this point and it won't be long before he moves to a more important club such as Barcelona or Real Madrid.

"It is difficult for a team like Manchester United to keep him."

Eyebrows will be raised at the assumption that the Spanish duo are a bigger club than United, and Sir Alex Ferguson's record of keeping hold of his prized assets is excellent - unless he has a fall-out with the player concerned.

"If Barcelona or Real Madrid really want him they will sign him," continued the Newcastle flop whose career has been rejuvenated by moving to Spain.

"He has not got much left at United. Furthermore, Spain is the perfect league for him."

Viana added that he mentioned the rumours to international team-mate Ronaldo last week but that he did not say anything on them because "he is a very private person." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hugo Viana /o\

Just **** off you prima donna flop. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>**** off you ****

Thats got me really angry

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

ineptitude icon_biggrin.gif

opinions dear. go and cry into your ruud pillow if it really bothers you that much </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Opinions? You haven't even expressed one, you're just provoking me. Christ.

opinions dear. go and cry into your ruud pillow if it really bothers you that much </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Opinions? You haven't even expressed one, you're just provoking me. Christ. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

provoking you icon_biggrin.gif

mika mate you need help

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by arenaross:

How likely is it you'd allow Bardsley to leave, presuming we came in with a decent bid for him? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very I think, we have Simpson as a reserve right back who many regard as being better, and O'Shea/Brown can cover for Neville too.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by arenaross:

How likely is it you'd allow Bardsley to leave, presuming we came in with a decent bid for him? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

very. you'll probably get him for like £1million in the summer

Opinions? You haven't even expressed one, you're just provoking me. Christ. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

mika mate you need help </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll take a chance and disagree.

mika mate you need help </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll take a chance and disagree. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

honestly though, whenever those four letters are even mentioned you get your knickers in a twist and become so uppity. chill out, hes gone and hes never coming back. accept the banter for what it is ffs, i dont think anyone here really believes saha is better than him.

I hate this, I don't see why I'm not allowed to mention "those four letters" without the likes of you jumping on me and saying "oh he's gone get over it", it's the most ridiculous response ever. I'm perfectly over it, doesn't mean that I can't respect him and mention his name in the thread, in the same way that Taz praised Kanchelskis the other day.

There is so much nonsense said about Ruud and if defending him is uppity to you then frankly I don't give a toss. If I think you're talking complete rubbish, I'm going to point it out whether you're serious or not.

blimey, the Djemba twins making his most important contribution to United long after he left :**)

Viana can f**k off

Ruud i,w,aawbfb

and i completely agree with Matt tbf, if you don't want people leaping to Ruud's defence then don't bait them with the deliberate intention of getting them to do just that. pretty f**king simple really.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

Blimey, can we go a page without another ruud bitch fight.

Let's all just agree that he was a great goal scorer but we are better off without him. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll not agree on that, but I'll let the argument drop. Far too much work to do to waste my time with it.

see ali icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If it weren't for Ali then I wouldn't have even got into it, you started it.

If it weren't for Ali then I wouldn't have even got into it, you started it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wait I didn't mean that icon_biggrin.gif

If it were just Ali then I wouldn't have got involved, it was your comment that was stupid.

There, fixed.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> United appoint first COO

Manchester United is pleased to announce the appointment of Michael Bolingbroke as its first Chief Operating Officer.

The appointment follows an extensive recruitment process run by Odgers Sports Practice. The Chief Operating Officer will be responsible for the day to day operations of the Club (finance, IT, human resources, and legal and property services), together with revenue generated through the use of Old Trafford for matches and as a conference and event centre.

Michael Bolingbroke, 41, will take up his new post at the end of May 2007.

Chief executive David Gill said: "I am delighted that Michael is joining the Board.

"His experience and ability will help drive Manchester United forward off the field. The new position of Chief Operating Officer will be a key role in our new management team and I look forward to working with Michael in the years ahead."

Michael Bolingbroke said:

"I'm thrilled to be offered this role. Manchester United is one of the most admired clubs in the world and to be offered the chance to work with such a talented management team on the Club's expansion plans is a true privilege and the opportunity of a lifetime. I can't wait to get going!"

His CV

2004 - current Senior Vice President Shows (Montreal)

2002 - 2003 Vice President Show operations (Las Vegas)

2001 Managing Director, Europe (Amsterdam)

1993 - 2000 The Jim Henson Company

1998 - 2000 Senior Vice President, Operations

1995 - 1997 Operations and Finance Director

1993 - 1996 UK Finance Director

1987 - 1992 PriceWaterhouseCoopers

Education and Qualifications

2001 London Business School - MBA (Distinction)

1990 Pricewaterhousecoopers - Qualified Chartered Accountant

1987 Reading University - BA in Economics </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As for the squad thing:

Keep

VDS

Foster

Neville

Evra

Evans

Simpson

Ferdinand

Vidic

Ronaldo

Scholes

Carrick

Park

Giggs

Rooney

Solskjaer

Sell only if an immense offer comes in and the money is used on new players

Kuszczak

Saha

Rossi

Piqué

Martin

Should probably move on/be moved on for the good of their own careers if we get better replacements AND decent bids

Fletcher

Brown

Smith

Heinze

Actively look to sell

Silvestre

O'Shea

Eagles

Arrange kneecapping for and claim insurance

Richardson

-------------------------

cba going into more detail at this stage. so much depends on who we sign (if anyone).

If it weren't for Ali then I wouldn't have even got into it, you started it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

that doesnt make any sense?

anyway ive had enough of this now, suffice to say my original comment to ali, that mentioning ruud's name would lead to a page long rambling about him, was ultimately correct. and yes, you did take the bait.

Righto, it’s been a while since we’ve done one of random poll type things…so here’s a new one.

Name the 10 most influential players of the Ferguson era:

So, not favourite or best…up to you decide if you’re going to place more emphasis on longevity or the importance of particular moments / events. Is Mark Robins more influential that Gary Neville? Where do Rooney and Ronaldo fit? Etc etc

List them 1-10 with 1 being the most influential.

Got it?

GO!

Archived