The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah, there's definitely match fitness issues there, but when things aren't going for you (and often they won't when you're short on match fitness), you put the effort in and find your form - you don't amble around like a mardy-arsed tit and wait for it to be handed to you on a plate.

excellent player when he's on his game, f**king nightmare when he's not.

Annoyingly true, I always notice during Nick's little half time texts to me at games that every other 3/4 games he's slating him icon_biggrin.gif

Can't say I've been impressed with him for a while now though, though he has been injured and Henrik has stolen the limelight somewhat.

Mart's now dirty leeds scum, and as such banned from the wall. We'll have no whippets, flat caps, bitter or sheep at our esteemed drinking venue.

"ey oop lads, WE ARE T'PRIDE OF ALL EUROPE, T'**** OF T'NORTH" - i'm not having it icon13.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

Lads, I might be relocating to Leeds icon_redface.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whisper it quietly, but it's a ****ing great city :/

Don't wear United stuff on your way to the train to Manchester on match days though, the bastards'll get you even at 10 on a Sunday morning icon_mad.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

Annoyingly true, I always notice during Nick's little half time texts to me at games that every other 3/4 games he's slating him icon_biggrin.gif

Can't say I've been impressed with him for a while now though, though he has been injured and Henrik has stolen the limelight somewhat. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I will become quite panicked if Henke goes home in March. All of a sudden i cannot see us push for the title without him.

Oh and Saha started playing like an abortion of a player since the start of December before getting injured. His performance in Aston Villa away must have been the worst performance i've seen from an United player with "starting eleven" credentials (no, Richardson does not fit into that team in my book).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Francis Cole:

haha, DJ*2, someone you lot hated so much says Ronaldo will stay and he's praised. Viana says Ronaldo should go to Spain and he's the new hate figure.

To quote you lot when you want to belittle someone:

Bless </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

did they remove your brain when they removed the blue badge :/

a) i don't think anyone ever hated Djembax2, we just (entirely understandably) thought he was nowhere near good enough for us. we're hardly falling over ourselves to kiss his feet upon these latest comments either, just a bit of banter in jest (possibly hard for a Leeds fan to understand humour icon_frown.gif).

b) Viana the new hate figure icon_biggrin.gif 'bless' indeed. he's clearly got a chip on his shoulder about english football, and he's sticking his nose in where it's not wanted and trying to unsettle one of our star players. but hell, let's applaud that lest Fran finds any 'hate' offensive icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

and that completely ignores the fact that the advice is seriously dodgy anyway.

using the barca/real are bigger than us reason is pretty narrow minded. the difference in stature between the three clubs is so insignificant that it's not really a consideration in choosing one over the others.

the only other argument people have really come up with for him to move is the weather. fine. but that's quite easily offset by the stability at united in comparison to real (especially) and barca. the fact that any move to spain would carry an inherent risk - in spite of the similarities to his own culture - of having to adjust and settle in a new league/team/country that is totally unnecessary given he's already settled and one of the best players in europe where is.

he's the first player picked for portugal atm, so there's no need to move on that front.

it's not like barca or real can guarantee a trophies any more than than we can.

for all he's been fffffffffffb for us of late, he's still won the square root of **** all for us, so the "new challenge" argument is out.

so yeah, still waiting for a logical reason that he should really go tbh. i'm not sure why every portuguese bloke and his dog is insisting he should.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

btw lads, who are your 2 players of the season so far? i saw a poll of united fans on this recently, scholes and ronaldo were tied.

for me:

1) Paul Scholes - (sometimes overshadowed by more prominent team members in the past maybe because of the very quiet way he goes about things, but for me it has been impossible to ignore just how good the lad is, this season more than any. would be thrilled if he won player of the year, not sure he would though)

2) Cristiano Ronaldo - pretty self explanatory, the year he came of age as a consistent and genuine threat. hard to separate the two really but scholes edges it for me.

Most Improved so far:

1) Cristiano Ronaldo

2) Patrice Evra </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

First off Evra has been a lot more improved than Ronaldo. Ronaldo was very good in the latter half of last season and his Dad died during the first half.

Onto player of the season and i'd have Ronaldo over Scholes. Ronaldo has pulled something out of nothing and changed the game in our favour so many times this season that it has to be him.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

btw lads, who are your 2 players of the season so far? i saw a poll of united fans on this recently, scholes and ronaldo were tied.

for me:

1) Paul Scholes - (sometimes overshadowed by more prominent team members in the past maybe because of the very quiet way he goes about things, but for me it has been impossible to ignore just how good the lad is, this season more than any. would be thrilled if he won player of the year, not sure he would though)

2) Cristiano Ronaldo - pretty self explanatory, the year he came of age as a consistent and genuine threat. hard to separate the two really but scholes edges it for me.

Most Improved so far:

1) Cristiano Ronaldo

2) Patrice Evra </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

First off Evra has been a lot more improved than Ronaldo. Ronaldo was very good in the latter half of last season and his Dad died during the first half.

Onto player of the season and i'd have Ronaldo over Scholes. Ronaldo has pulled something out of nothing and changed the game in our favour so many times this season that it has to be him. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ronaldo was only good for about 6-7 games.

ronaldo this season has basically performed in a way that we all knew he was capable of, but on a far more consistent basis. for me, in season's prior he drifted too much and was never really the match winner he can be.

this season he's improved such that i cant think of a more exciting player in europe at the moment and that includes the likes of ronaldinho

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SLO_Fila:

Ronaldo was only good for about 6-7 games. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you really trying to say that Ronaldo shouldnt be player of the season because hes only been good for 6-7 games?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SLO_Fila:

Are you really trying to say that Ronaldo shouldnt be player of the season because hes only been good for 6-7 games? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually reading that back i'm guessing you meant last season?

Are you really trying to say that Ronaldo shouldnt be player of the season because hes only been good for 6-7 games? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think he's talking about last season.

he's talking about last season?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by skybluedave:

First Viana now Figo. Everyone seems to be telling Ronaldo where to go. Seems silly. Can't see why he can't achieve majority of what a top play craves at Man Yoo. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

What Figo said

"Cristiano Ronaldo is the Portuguese player with the best future in the European market," Figo stated.

"He could go very far, but he will have to pay attention to the club he chooses to play for.

"In individual terms I think Cristiano could win every title going because he has the quality to do so. But equally I think it depends on the club where he is at to live up to his standards."

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As for the squad; I think Silvestre, Richardson and Smith are definitely candidates to be sold. Evans is pressing and pressing and I think he'll take Silvestre's place. Richardson to be replaced by a quality winger who has the potential to replace Giggs in the long-term. Rossi to finally get a shot in place of Smith.

Cantonas Penalties

Of the 17 he scored for the club 16 of them sent the keeper the wrong way. icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Apparently he could change the direction of his foot and send the ball the other way at the very last moment after seeing the keeper start to dive, which is a very rare skill.

Don't know if it's crap or not, but it adds to the great man's mystique.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Terry Cheung:

Cantonas Penalties

Of the 17 he scored for the club 16 of them sent the keeper the wrong way. icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Apparently he could change the direction of his foot and send the ball the other way at the very last moment after seeing the keeper start to dive, which is a very rare skill.

Don't know if it's crap or not, but it adds to the great man's mystique. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Something was weird anyway because most of his penalties aren't exactly very well placed or even hit with much power so if one could guess the right way 50% chances were that it would have been saved.

Just that they never guessed icon_biggrin.gif

i ****ing love eric cantona, my favourite player of all time. such a hero its undeniable. keep every other striker under fergies era, eric was our most influential by an absolute mile. the ethos of arrogance paired with absolute ability and self belief brought success to fergies regime much more than anyone else did. eric cantona = greatest striker to wear the red shirt ever.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

WARNING! THIS IS FROM THE SUN

Ronaldo: I'm off to Spain

CRISTIANO RONALDO has told his Portugal team-mates he wants to quit Manchester United.

And Valencia star Hugo Viana insists winger Ronaldo, 22, will soon get his wish of moving to Spanish giants Barcelona or Real Madrid.

Viana said: “He won’t be at United for much longer. It’s complicated for them to keep him now.

"Ronaldo has worked hard and, within a little time, he will be with another team more important than United.â€

Ronaldo discussed his future with ex-Newcastle midfielder Viana, 24, when they linked up for Portugal’s clash with Brazil last week. The duo are close pals after growing up together in Sporting Lisbon’s youth teams.

Viana added: “Everyone knows if teams like Barca and Madrid want a player, they end up signing him.â€

Ronaldo admitted to Viana and Valencia team-mate Miguel he is eager to play in La Liga.

Viana revealed: “We told him that his name has been linked to Spain. He’s very modest but, in every way, we know he’d like to come.

“A team like Barcelona, Madrid or Valencia would be perfect for him.

“He has grown very quickly as a player and he is now in the top three players in the world with Ronaldinho and Deco.â€

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I love these Ronnie stories. Yesterday we had him telling his friends he had no intention of leaving United and now hes told the portugal squad hes off.

And yes Viana it would be a fantastic move for Ronnie to leave Man Utd and join Valencia but yet again Madrid and Barcelona always get their man dont they?

Lets look at the Barca side and how many players do they have that were bought from clubs on their standing or clubs close to their standing?

Then Madrid, again they do have a history of buying big stars but look at the prices they paid for those top stars. Not to mention both former United players werent bought against the wishes of the manager, Fergie had fallen out with both and wanted them gone.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Viana added: “Everyone knows if teams like Barca and Madrid want a player, they end up signing him.†</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

like Henry you mean?

Muppet

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JulesMUFC:

i ****ing love eric cantona, my favourite player of all time. such a hero its undeniable. keep every other striker under fergies era, eric was our most influential by an absolute mile. the ethos of arrogance paired with absolute ability and self belief brought success to fergies regime much more than anyone else did. eric cantona = greatest striker to wear the red shirt ever. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

but he choked in Europe

Archived