The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

Ole put some effort in though, he's just clearly not up to it pacewise anymore, but he tried. Saha just looked disinterested. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i thought you liked that in your strikers?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

yeah but we wouldn't get tickets for Plymouth away dude </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

speak for your self i used to work for ginsters argyle's sponsors icon_razz.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

Ole put some effort in though, he's just clearly not up to it pacewise anymore, but he tried. Saha just looked disinterested. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i thought you liked that in your strikers? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ooooooooooh

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bagpuss:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

speak for your self i used to work for ginsters argyle's sponsors icon_razz.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

dude, just because you eat your body weight in Ginsters doesn't mean you work for them ffs

Ole wasn't great, but the service to him was poor. he needs the ball putting into the box, but unforntuately Ronaldo had one of those days where he seemed incapable of delivering any quality. at least Ole had the vision to pick out teammates in a better position than him, unlike Saha, who always runs with his head down.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bagpuss:

speak for your self i used to work for ginsters argyle's sponsors icon_razz.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

dude, just because you eat your body weight in Ginsters doesn't mean you work for them ffs </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ginsters are owned by samworth brothers who i used to work for making puddings for tescos

also fyi ginsters cornish pasties are rank

• SI Staff

Acou are you from down in kent or thereabouts? I've always suffered from struggling to get tickets but Invicta Reds have been great for me so far, £65 for a ticket and coach travel, practically guaranteed with 6 weeks notice. All you need is a oneunited membership number. I've got Lille and Blackburn tickets for next month through them

here

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Antpocolypsenow:

Acou are you from down in kent or thereabouts? I've always suffered from struggling to get tickets but Invicta Reds have been great for me so far, £65 for a ticket and coach travel, practically guaranteed with 6 weeks notice. All you need is a oneunited membership number. I've got Lille and Blackburn tickets for next month through them

here </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cheers.

I actually looked into it at the start of the season, but only ever e-mailed them and got nothing back. I also wont be in Kent next season and I guess it's all a bit too late to help with any games this year?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

I don't think that's necessarily true. Saha can pick out a man.

Ruud vs Bolton :*) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

True. He played more than one good through ball yesterday. There was one in particular, a great little ball between two defenders. can't remember who it was to, possibly Park as it came to nothing?

Not to say there weren't any, but i can't remember a particularly memorable through ball from Ole.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

ooooooooooh </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll let that one go. This time icon_biggrin.gif

I'll let that one go. This time icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was hoping you'd be seething all night icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by red&white army:

Ole wasn't great, but the service to him was poor. he needs the ball putting into the box, but unforntuately Ronaldo had one of those days where he seemed incapable of delivering any quality. at least Ole had the vision to pick out teammates in a better position than him, unlike Saha, who always runs with his head down. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It wasn't just about service. There were times when Ole had the ball just outside the box and needed just to skip by a defender but he couldn't do it.

I'll let that one go. This time icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was hoping you'd be seething all night icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm too tired atm icon_biggrin.gif

slipping some Park hate in there icon_mad.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is that not a fair assessment, given that the majority of chances fell to him yesterday, and i don't think there was one that even troubled the keeper?

Is that not a fair assessment, given that the majority of chances fell to him yesterday, and i don't think there was one that even troubled the keeper? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ronaldo had more, and better chances though, it happens. Park still played well for me.

Ole set Ronaldo up with a great chance in the second half don't forget. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

but it could well be argued that the situation and position where Ole received the ball, the best option would have been to gain more ground before laying the ball off/shooting. Unfortunately he didn't have it in him.

Ole set Ronaldo up with a great chance in the second half don't forget. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

but it could well be argued that the situation and position where Ole received the ball, the best option would have been to gain more ground before laying the ball off/shooting. Unfortunately he didn't have it in him. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well yeah but like you allude to, if he can't do it, he can't do it. Given the situation he did very well to spot Ronaldo and did the right think, can't really criticise him.

Ole set Ronaldo up with a great chance in the second half don't forget. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I don't think that was a good ball

Should have put it for Ronnie to run on to not to his feet so it took him time to control it

Yeah I dont think Park had the majority of chances at all.

And everyone was missing yesterday.

We all (still) know JSP isnt a great finisher, but largely irrelevant when,

a) we are scoring plenty of goals as a team

and b) he is contributing very well in other ways (which some people choose to ignore)

Is that not a fair assessment, given that the majority of chances fell to him yesterday, and i don't think there was one that even troubled the keeper? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ronaldo had more, and better chances though, it happens. Park still played well for me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

you could argue who had the better chances, but he certainly didn't have more. And i didn't comment on his game overall, purely how he did in front of goal.

but it could well be argued that the situation and position where Ole received the ball, the best option would have been to gain more ground before laying the ball off/shooting. Unfortunately he didn't have it in him. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well yeah but like you allude to, if he can't do it, he can't do it. Given the situation he did very well to spot Ronaldo and did the right think, can't really criticise him. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah but essentially we're saying there that 'given he couldn't physically go for the best option.. he did well to execute the 2nd best option' ... which isn't really good enough is it?

icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gazz22:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by red&white army:

Ole wasn't great, but the service to him was poor. he needs the ball putting into the box, but unforntuately Ronaldo had one of those days where he seemed incapable of delivering any quality. at least Ole had the vision to pick out teammates in a better position than him, unlike Saha, who always runs with his head down. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It wasn't just about service. There were times when Ole had the ball just outside the box and needed just to skip by a defender but he couldn't do it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Eric Cantona

Teddy Sheringham

Alan Shearer (as much as I can't stand him)

Gianfranco Zola

Dennis Bergkamp

Henrik Larsson

proof that pace isn't everything for a striker. its the brain - the ability to get into the right position and to put the ball in the net.

pace is an asset, but not at all necessary to be a goalscorer.

Its a bit unfair to criticise Ole, he doesn't get enough games now since Larsson arrived, and he has scored plenty of goals this season. eh will score more before the end of the season too if he gets the games.

you could argue who had the better chances, but he certainly didn't have more. And i didn't comment on his game overall, purely how he did in front of goal. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fair enough, I do think Ronaldo had more to be honest, the shot wide, the shot saved, sure he had another couple...can't be bothered to check though.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gazz22:

It wasn't just about service. There were times when Ole had the ball just outside the box and needed just to skip by a defender but he couldn't do it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Eric Cantona

Teddy Sheringham

Gianfranco Zola

Dennis Bergkamp

Henrik Larsson

proof that pace isn't everything for a striker. its the brain - the ability to get into the right position and to put the ball in the net.

Its a bit unfair to criticise Ole, he doesn't get enough games now since Larsson arrived, and he has scored plenty of goals this season. eh will score more before the end of the season too if he gets the games. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's not really to do with pace though. It's the fact he doesnt have the legs for the ALROUND game. Getting into position.. holding onto the ball... being able to physically compete etc.

I <3 him as much as the next United supporter but he was never in the style of a Sheringham/Bergkamp. His game was more about making the runs... which I'm not sure he can do well enough now.

Yeah but essentially we're saying there that 'given he couldn't physically go for the best option.. he did well to execute the 2nd best option' ... which isn't really good enough is it?

icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Arguably not, but I'm just trying to say that he made the right decision, and frankly had Ronaldo socred then we would have all been praising him for being unselfish, it's a fine line I guess.

We know he has lost pace, we'll just have to accept it and utilise the strengths that he still has.

We all knew that Ole wasn't going to come back and start games week in week out, with his injury it just wasn't going to happen. Given the return we have got from him both in terms of minutes and goals, I still think he's an option worth having, despite his weaknesses.

Eric Cantona

Teddy Sheringham

Gianfranco Zola

Dennis Bergkamp

Henrik Larsson

Its a bit unfair to criticise Ole, he doesn't get enough games now since Larsson arrived, and he has scored plenty of goals this season. eh will score more before the end of the season too if he gets the games. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's not really to do with pace though. It's the fact he doesnt have the legs for the ALROUND game. Getting into position.. holding onto the ball... being able to physically compete etc.

I <3 him as much as the next United supporter but he was never in the style of a Sheringham/Bergkamp. His game was more about making the runs... which I'm not sure he can do well enough now. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I still think he's short of games. both he and Saha are and it showed yesterday. I believe Ole can still have an important role to play this season, though I admit its likely to be as a sub.

about Saha, he needs to get back into form because at the moment Larsson and Rooney look to be the best combination (on form) and I'd expect them to start against Lille.

Lets just hope Fergie goes 4-4-2, and abandons the idea of playing Rooney on the wing in Europe. he hinted after Benfica that he thought we didn't have the players to play a patient game. we should just go and attack, like in 1999. 4-5-1 doesn't suit us.

Seems to me that Fergie thinks that playing 5 midfielders with the best player out of position makes us more 'tactically aware' icon_rolleyes.gif

451 on Tuesday blatantly /o\ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

most likely, and I can only see us drawing 0-0 if we do, unless we manage to scrape a goal like away to benfica

we won't win the Champions League playing 4-5-1. it makes no sense to change a system that has worked so well for so long. when will fergie learn?

451 on Tuesday blatantly /o\ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

most likely, and I can only see us drawing 0-0 if we do, unless we manage to scrape a goal like away to benfica

we won't win the Champions League playing 4-5-1. it makes no sense to change a system that has worked so well for so long. when will fergie learn? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

When Park will learn to shoot icon_biggrin.gif

Archived