The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

I agree completely.

Motson actually angers me </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Motty's fb. Compared to others we've had to endure in bygone years. icon_biggrin.gif

Anyway, Green's the only bawbag that winds me up.

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

my god we are unspeakably **** in europe </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We've had our moments. I'm sure they'll come again, too. icon_wink.gif

i'd settle for us looking vaguely competent away from home one of these days. even more importantly, i'd like to see us actually play to our bloody strengths once in a while rather than adopting this cagey continental style which is clearly completely alien and never EVER works for us.

Just got home, avoided the score and watched the game and, well, that was interesting…

Firstly, good result for us even under the somewhat controversial circumstances, and although I think the ref made the correct calls 90% of the time, with another man in the middle it could have gone another way easily, and with us not exactly playing our best that could have happened anyway.

Lille’s histrionics deserve to be punished but I don’t think that it warrants them being kicked out. If they’d actually gone through with it then fair enough kick them for forfeiting the game but they saw sense and played through. I don’t know how the Lille players, however distressed at the decision so allow Giggsy’s free-kick to stand, could stand the humiliation of walking out of what was overall a well contested game. On a selfish note if they get kicked I’m deprived of a potentially tasty return leg at OT so I’d rather they stay in.

As far as Lille’s performance went generally, it was definitely designed to stifle our width and to a large extent it worked, bringing Saha on for Ronaldo around 65mins, one of Fergie’s most proactive tactical subs in a while in my opinion since it changed our shape and even if not a lot came off for him, Saha was a different threat and it helped that he actually looked bothered. The lad up front troubled us, or looked to at least, with his pace but apart from the disallowed goal he didn’t get many opportunities to realise that threat. I tried to keep an eye on Bodmer and Makoun (sp?) since they’ve both been linked with us regularly, and while I’m keeping in mind that this is basically my first impressions, the former looked more likely to function as a Cahill-esq MC/AMC than an all round MC and the latter looked much better than DJx2 but not as good as Fletcher (ditto for Bodmer from what I saw actually).

On to us. As I said not the best performance with too many players off key and an apparently difficult pitch to deal with. Taking 20 minutes to get into the game and then only grabbing maybe 15-20 minutes of controlled pressure (if that) over the 90 shows demonstrates how these factors affected us and contributed to a disjointed, back-and-forth kind of game.

Other than the goal Giggs was poor. GNev and Carrick equally so for me. Ronaldo’s most ineffectual game for a while for me but being double-teamed from the off didn’t help him. Rooney and Larsson both worked themselves into the ground and showed some glimpses of inspiration at times but with our supply lines cut they were quite isolated. Scholes tried to get things going but he was affected by not having Carrick contribute effectively tonight. Evra and their right full-back seemed to have a decent duel and that occupied his attacking thrust. Rio and Vidic both got caught slightly a few times (the latter more than the former) but on the whole the positives greatly outweighed the few negatives in their performances and I really thought that they stepped up this evening, so they are my MOMs. VDS’s save from Bodmer and a return to his general assuredness was a welcome change from TK in nets over the last few games.

Overall, happy with the away goal in a compelling game, no 451 from the start, and we won away from OT, not bad.

MOM: Rio Ferdinand

2ND: Nemanja Vidic

I told my mate to watch out for Bodmer as he was meant to be a bit good. While they were playing 4 4 2 i thought he was our best player, really terrible. When he was allowed more attacking purpose and positioning he was pretty quality tbf.

Do you think based on the performance fergie wont play 4 4 2 open style again away in europe? It didnt really work, due largely to their pretty spot on tactics and our lack of quality at times. I can defo seeing fergie going back to 4 5 1 in an attempt to play cagey football "euro style" football.

Mon the second leg.

I've decided several things this morning...

a) I think it's better when we play at home in the first leg of a two legged knockout tie. At least then we play with a slightly more positive attitude, and we either get a decent result, standing us in good stead for the second leg, or don't do enough and are FORCED to come out playing away from home. Much of a muchness really I suppose.

b) Their goal should have stood. Having seen it again I think Vidic really made the most of it.

c) After building him up 3 days ago, Ryan Giggs was naturally awful, goal aside.

d) I'm utterly convinced Ronaldo will go in the summer.

I think I'd agree with you if the money we'd get (call it over £40 million) went on other players. We could 'adequately' replace Ronnie (what would Lennon cost us? How about that young Spanish kid, Silva) with £15 odd million I'd expect, leaving £25 million to go towards the other wing, the centre midfield and a new striker. But with the Glazers about, we know full well that that's not likely to happen. So selling Ronnie would only weaken us, I reckon.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JulesMUFC:

I told my mate to watch out for Bodmer as he was meant to be a bit good. While they were playing 4 4 2 i thought he was our best player, really terrible. When he was allowed more attacking purpose and positioning he was pretty quality tbf.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In fairness to him he was just back from injury as well, might have affected his performance.

Aye, I wouldn't be unhappy to see him go to barca (presumably) if it were enough to buy a good striker, winger and central midfielder. Say, Lennon, Hargs and someone else.

what with our recent dealings in the selling-people market we'd be lucky to get enough for a matchbox car.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

And Christ enough of the Ronaldo talk already, it's going to be like this til August at this rate /o\ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just wait until the season finishes. Plus there's the Spanish presidential elections to look forward to...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Asmodeus:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

And Christ enough of the Ronaldo talk already, it's going to be like this til August at this rate /o\ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just wait until the season finishes. Plus there's the Spanish presidential elections to look forward to... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yay icon_frown.gif

It's fair enough to talk about it I guess, but I think his subbing/reaction is being blown out of proportion just a bit. If we're going to say that he's off every time he comes off the pitch then I can see it getting a bit repetitive.

Any tiny little potentailly hyperbolic (is that a word) aspect of his behaviour'll be highlighted and sensationalised to death. Until another player becomes flavour of the month. Seems to be the only drawback of a young player playing exceptionally in England; he'll be constantly linked to the big Spanish clubs.

Wait until that **** Mijatovic starts getting involved...

Are there really Man Utd fans posting in this thread saying that they wouldn't mind seeing Ronaldo leave if it was for big money icon_confused.gif?

I don't like Ronaldo from what I have seen. I think he is a selfish, petulant, immature, diving on the floor, foreigner.

Having said that, I also think that he is also one of the best footballers on the planet. His ability on the ball is simply fantastic and his end product has improved beyond belief. To add to that, HE IS A WINNER.

I'm a Spurs fan and think that Lennon is great now and is only going to get better. But he is nowhere near Ronaldo at the moment. Any of youn who would be happy to see Ronaldo go for huge money and then shell half of it out for Lennon must be off your rocker.

Forget about the hype and the diving and the winking and everything else. Ronaldo is a simply gifted footballer and you would be mad to let him leave, whatever the price.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

haha yeah me and nick were saying last night that summer to be an utter utter nightmare.

"he's staying"

"naw he's going"

"he's going"

etc etc </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You try and shut it out, but...

Monsieur BBB funds are in my bank account icon14.gif

Also as i've just took out a £20k loan to refiance my credit cards and car loan etc you'll need to check which card to use for aways as once paid off i'll be closing down all but one of my 5 credit cards.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jimbokav1971:

Are there really Man Utd fans posting in this thread saying that they wouldn't mind seeing Ronaldo leave if it was for big money icon_confused.gif?

I don't like Ronaldo from what I have seen. I think he is a selfish, petulant, immature, diving on the floor, foreigner.

Having said that, I also think that he is also one of the best footballers on the planet. His ability on the ball is simply fantastic and his end product has improved beyond belief. To add to that, HE IS A WINNER.

I'm a Spurs fan and think that Lennon is great now and is only going to get better. But he is nowhere near Ronaldo at the moment. Any of youn who would be happy to see Ronaldo go for huge money and then shell half of it out for Lennon must be off your rocker.

Forget about the hype and the diving and the winking and everything else. Ronaldo is a simply gifted footballer and you would be mad to let him leave, whatever the price. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He just struggled yersterday on a difficult surface that didn't suit him.

I'm a little surprised he started at all.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jimbokav1971:

I think he is a selfish, petulant, immature, diving on the floor, foreigner.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds like Andy Murray.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bagpuss:

Also as i've just took out a £20k loan to refiance my credit cards and car loan etc you'll need to check which card to use for aways as once paid off i'll be closing down all but one of my 5 credit cards. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

okay dude, will talk to you about it later.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bagpuss:

Also as i've just took out a £20k loan to refiance my credit cards and car loan etc you'll need to check which card to use for aways as once paid off i'll be closing down all but one of my 5 credit cards. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

okay dude, will talk to you about it later. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

when i get home from work tonight will do say around 11:30ish

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds like Andy Murray. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ffs icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ratinho:

jimbo another Spurs fan PETRIFIED of losing their only creative outlet, after losing their only other creative outlet last summer. icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

jimbo another Spurs fan icon14.gif

PETRIFIED of losing their only creative outlet icon13.gif

after losing their only other creative outlet last summer icon13.gif

We're not a club that can afford to turn down a huge sum of money like that. ANybody who says anythging else is naive or lying.

I wasn't happy that Carrick left, but the money made it a good deal for us.

I wouldn't be happy to see Lennon go for the same money, but am honest enough to believe that if someone offered £20M+ then we should bite their hand off.

I'm happy with how things are going at Spurs. We had a bit of a false dawn last season almost finishing 4th, but at least we are moving in the right direction.

We aren't yet competing with the top 4 and may not be for another few years. At least I'm honest icon_frown.gif.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ratinho:

jimbo another Spurs fan PETRIFIED of losing their only creative outlet, after losing their only other creative outlet last summer. icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

jimbo another Spurs fan icon14.gif

PETRIFIED of losing their only creative outlet icon13.gif

after losing their only other creative outlet last summer icon13.gif

We're not a club that can afford to turn down a huge sum of money like that. ANybody who says anythging else is naive or lying.

I wasn't happy that Carrick left, but the money made it a good deal for us.

I wouldn't be happy to see Lennon go for the same money, but am honest enough to believe that if someone offered £20M+ then we should bite their hand off.

I'm happy with how things are going at Spurs. We had a bit of a false dawn last season almost finishing 4th, but at least we are moving in the right direction.

We aren't yet competing with the top 4 and may not be for another few years. At least I'm honest icon_frown.gif.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rcjuk:

5 credit cards icon_biggrin.gif

You total moron </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

technically i have 6 as one has 2 cards for one account icon_wink.gif

one big 5 year loan will save me £200 a month minimum and thats without paying off one of the cards as it has a interest rate of 7.9%

paying the car off early instead saves me more money and means my little citreon is wholly mine

I love that Citreon such a manly colour (I'm not being sarcastic).

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's still a Citroen though?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> "Bloke at work went to watch Man Utd v Lille last night. The fans got put on special buses, to get them to several hotels and the airport safely. Most flights were from the local airport, upto Charles De Gaul then to Manchester, needless to say, extra flights were put on to various UK airports for the game.

Around 2 thousand were at the airport around 11pm - waiting for flights to Paris, several players including Wayne Rooney, Ferdinand & Giggs went to the airport, and put £10,000 (presumably out of their own pocket) behind the bar for people to get drinks - as a thankyou for their support during the difficult game." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

apparantly true, if it is that's just utterly fantastic.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rcjuk:

Actually I keep forgetting your like 30 million years old and not 22 or something.

Still should stop funding mart icon13.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mart's not getting funded and is in fact paying me back

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

I love that Citreon such a manly colour (I'm not being sarcastic).

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's still a Citroen though? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oi there is nothing wrong with Citroens, it can do over 100mph if need be.

If i oay it off early i might switch car sooner than before, looking at getting a Saab or something similar next, a bigger proper powerful car anyway.

oh christ, you are joking?

You're fecking lethal in a small car, a saab would have us all shatting ourselves icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Look this car is way to underpowered compared to what i used to drive.

A bigger car also means more room in it for Euro road trips or at least trips to the airport, no more jamming 4 sets of luggage in a small boot like this summer.

There is no need to panick just yet it woule be at least another year before i changed car tbh. Next years birthday would be a nice target woul;d of had my bonus by then to use as a deposit etc.

Probably already posted, but

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The following events happened over the years on February 21:

1958: Busby Babe and established England international Duncan Edwards died aged 21 following the Munich Air Crash, which took so many of Manchester United's great young players.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'm happy with how things are going at Spurs. We had a bit of a false dawn last season almost finishing 4th, but at least we are moving in the right direction. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_smile.gif

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds like Andy Murray. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Really? Reminded me of Ruud tbh :/

I need to get rid om my car, fancy a peugeot 307 icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No its French, already had a 405, a laguna and now a Citroen want a different nations car this time.

A trip down to Blackpool for a TVR would be nice but Mart would **** him self if i dorve around in one of them, he complains when i whang it round roundabouts now ffs

Archived