The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Richie J:

Nick, don't suppose you have any idea what kind of team united will be sending to the Hong Kong 7s tournament at the end of may? Players like Rossi, Jones, Pique and Spector have played here in recent seasons IIRC, and I'd love to know more about the players I'm going to be facing icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

hard to say, i assume it'll just be confined to those in our reserve set-up at the minute, which automatically means we'll be loads weaker than in previous years. we didn't even take it that seriously last year - Rossi missed it because he was at his sister's prom (seriously) and we took three dire trainees on loan from Walsall along to make up the squad of 10. ended up finishing joint last iirc. thing is the tournament clashes with the BlueStars tournament in Zurich, which United take more seriously.

last year's squad was Richie Jones, Markus Neumayr ©, Philip Marsh, Lee Martin, Danny Simpson, Sylvan Ebanks-Blake, Tom Heaton, Charlton Davies, Mark Bradley, David McDermott (the last three being loanees)

at a guess, this year it'll probably be seven from:

Tom Heaton - third-choice goalie at the momemnt, solid but not premiership quality

Ron-Robert Zieler - might still be eligible for the BlueStars and if so would probably go to that. very promising german u17 keeper.

Kieran Lee - best player in the reserve team by some way at the minute. versatile, probably best at left-back but at home at right-back and all the way across midfield (played and scored the winner vs crewe in the carling cup). very good technically and intelligent, maybe lacks a bit of strength

Michael Lea - another who might go to BlueStars. combative centre/left-back, lacks a bit of pace.

Craig Cathcart - likely to go to BlueStars, chance he might not. northern irish centre-back, lacks a bit of pace but dominant in the air and reads the game well. playing at this very minute for Europe u17's vs Africa's u17's, which tells you something about his quality

Floribert N'Galula - injury prone Belgian defensive midfielder, Vieira-esque in style without being anywhere near as good of course. will probably be injured again by then.

Michael Barnes - ginger winger, highly-rated by some, basically a not-quite-as-good Chadwick in my view. decent pace and does alright at reserve level but lacks any kind of guile.

Jamie Mullan/Sean Evans - basically identikit wingers. both with a bit of pace about them, neither have a hope of making it with us though

Aaron Burns - fairly average centre-forward. pace and... that's about it really.

Dong Fangzhuo - would have thought we'd take him, bit of a no-brainer really.

pretty uninspiring bunch compared to previous years really :/

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Next Fixture:

22.02.07 Middlesbrough (H) - FAPRLN, @ Ewen Fields, Hyde

-------------------------------------------------------------- </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Come on Nick. icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

go and tell the official site to sort themselves out. not my fault they're useless. not like you're likely to be going anyway is it? icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Weren't you at that game? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

erm, yeah.....

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

oh yes icon_cool.gif

in real time, from that perspective, it's fb

THERES ONLY ONE RONALDO </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Unlucky Fulham fans :*)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Young Jimlad:

Or we're already there.

Here endeth the subtle post boosting that has seen me become a Semi-Pro. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ha! Just checked my karma level and assumed it'd be like 2003 & apparently its 2043(+1 now) so I upped a level ages ago icon_biggrin.gif

Anyway, mon United!

Thank god we won but what the **** was Fergie playing at? We were cruising and he takes Saha off and they just bomb forward and run us close. Then he takes off Ole for Ronnie.

If anyone thought Fulham was a one off from Wes then he proved them wrong. I'm sorry Wes but we have good defenders coming through so just find yourself another club ta.

If there has ever been a worse player play for the club than Richardson then i havent seen him. How did he get the 90 and why in the hell are we going to see him in a red shirt again?

Fletcher with a blast from the past with that god awful performance, lucky for him Richardson was playing.

Sheasy i thought very good first half but missing for the second and Park just poor. Some lad said it was the worst midfield put out under Fergie and he might well be right.

Saha i thought great and we looked lost up top without him.

That performance just awful, awful, awful and i want Fergie to explain himself. Why say you are going to play Smith and then not when you have perfect settings to do so?

And Saha to start over Larsson from now on thanks.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

Richardson utter abortionate, get him gone in summer or I'll kill the bastard </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

100% whs

I have honestly never hated one of our players as much as I do that talentless ****ing waste of air.

So yeah, VDS was great, made a mistake in the second half but generally was solid.

Onto the defence, Christ where do you start? I thought Silvestre and Rio were solid enough, Wes Brown was disastrous barring one crucial header and Gaby wasn't awful, but couldn't seem to get any distance on his clearances for some reason.

Park was neat and tidy in the main, though faded late on, Fletch and JOS were pretty poor and Richardson put in possibly the single worst performance of the season for us, great going icon14.gif

Saha was great first half, though I thought he got complacent after a while in the second and was almost dragged into everyone else's ineptitude. Harsh to sub him though. Ole did his job well.

But, we're through, and haven't over-exerted our key players that's the main thing. Job done...ish.

Ill-deserved but its still a victory. Possibly the closest display to park football I've ever seen by a top level side after the 1st 6 minutes. I'm trying to measure our lowest points this season against tonights performance and I actually think that even in defeat this victory was our poorest (NB may be gut reaction). So many moments where sublime actions like winning the ball, finding space or making a good run became horror shows of execution.

Very few of our second stringers made a case for breaking into the first team. Saha at least looked bothered and bright until he started getting closed down by multiple men and kicked to bits by Bikey, but still functioned better than most so I guess he's my MOM. Ole gets second for running his ******** off.

MOM: Saha

2ND: OGS

I've left the TV to write this, who did we get Boro or WBA? God help us if we conspire to play like this again.

Archived