The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scatter:

park was ****ing awesome you clowns icon_mad.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i mean that relatively ofc.

i know he did his usual every time he got anywhere near the opposing 18 yard box.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Emersonlfc:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Emersonlfc:

Hopefully Vds and Rio play like that on Saturday icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

VDS was class. wp moron </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hardly "class" compared to his usual performances. Must be a Noob to think otherwise, tbf </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

hahahahahahaha, the irony

you're a reknowned scouse know-nothing mate, you're merely reaffirming my view by disagreeing with it.

make a case as to why he was poor or go drown yourself you pathetic waste of cells

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keyser:

christ, kneejerk reactions ahoy tonight \O/

we were sh*t. we're through. Fletcher wasn't that bad, Wes was equal measures good and awful, Richardson is holocaust but we all knew that. Ole and especially Saha big positives, big Edwin looking good again, into the next round, cheer up you miserable moaning c**ts. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Big whoop, Saha did his job icon14.gificon14.gificon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

no-one can win with you can they? icon_biggrin.gif

i give up. don't understand you moaning bastards, a near-complete reserve team got us through with all our key players getting a rest ahead of the Liverpool game and yet it's like a meeting of haemherroids R us in here. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

because when we need these players, if thats what theyre gonna be like I'd rather we went out on the field with less than 11 men.

the whole match after the first 10 was just completely sh*te, thats why I'm moaning. and we nearly went out because Fergie was too stubborn to put Ronaldo or Scholes on for a few extra minutes.. ITS NOT GONNA KILL THEM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keyser:

we were sh*t. we're through. Fletcher wasn't that bad, Wes was equal measures good and awful, Richardson is holocaust but we all knew that. Ole and especially Saha big positives, big Edwin looking good again, into the next round, cheer up you miserable moaning c**ts. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i give up. don't understand you moaning bastards, a near-complete reserve team got us through with all our key players getting a rest ahead of the Liverpool game and yet it's like a meeting of haemherroids R us in here. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

been here before. all the "big" players get a rest and we get butt f**ked in the early saturday kick off for one, for two it was an utter embarrassment to watch, I actually feel sorry for Reading. and I hate empathy for the opposition.

There are no positives here, stop straw clutching.

Hopefully Vds and Rio play like that on Saturday icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

VDS was class. wp moron </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hardly "class" compared to his usual performances. Must be a Noob to think otherwise, tbf </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Please tell me you didn't just write noob icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Young Jimlad:

Cheers ACou, cheers for reminding me, the subs.

I actually thought both made sense:

- We were losing the ball all over the pitch and taking off Richardson and, lets say Park, based on the performances they gave wasn't going to stop Readings momentum.

It would let us counter them with some actual purpose rather than just running into their defenders/giving the ball back immediately though

- Saha had been kicked to bits and given his lack of match time looked like he was running on empty, so Rooney on made sense. By the 75th minute Ole's legs couldn't match his desire anymore and my only gripe is that Fergie waited 10mins too long to make the change. Richardson was terrible but as far as keeping up with Reading players bombing forward he at least had legs to do so, and with us holding on it can be argued that it was less of a handicap.

dont mind Rooney on for Saha but please dont defend Richardson in any way after that 90 minutes.. he once again looked like a non-league player </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

because when we need these players, if thats what theyre gonna be like I'd rather we went out on the field with less than 11 men. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

but when they step in when/if needed, they won't be playing with 7/8 other reserves?

There are no positives here, stop straw clutching. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

here was me thinking we'd gone through to the quarter finals icon_frown.gif

The decision to play the team we did tonight was the right one, I stand by that. As Nick indicates we need those players to be fit for when we need them, which we undoubtedly will with the fixtures coming up thick and fast.

If Carrick were to break his legs tomorrow then I'd rather someone came in for him who had some pitch time recently.

It wasn't great, but it wasn't great at the weekend with our full team and both times we won which is the main thing.

here was me thinking we'd gone through to the quarter finals icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Getting through against (no disrespect here, honest) the likes of Reading is not something to get that excited about, tbf.

but they'll still be shockingly bad. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah, that's really been borne out this season :/

pointless this, you lot go slit your wrists over this apparent disaster, i'll be quite happy we're through. everyone a winner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> hahahahahahaha, the irony

you're a reknowned scouse know-nothing mate, you're merely reaffirming my view by disagreeing with it.

make a case as to why he was poor or go drown yourself you pathetic waste of cells </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Meanie icon_frown.gif

You miss the fact that he was very very poor from either a corner/free-kick/cross into the box? Mis-punches ? Missing one iirc. Didn't seem as "Comfy" coming out of his 6 yard box, tbf. Just didn't seem to occupy the area as well as he could have. Anticipation, I guess is the word I'm looking for.

Some very good saves as well, don't get me wrong but compared to some of his recent games (before the injury at Spurs) he was below par.

here was me thinking we'd gone through to the quarter finals icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Getting through against (no disrespect here, honest) the likes of Reading is not something to get that excited about, tbf. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

away, against 6th place, with a reserve side out. funnily enough i'll take a win in those circumstances

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> hahahahahahaha, the irony

make a case as to why he was poor or go drown yourself you pathetic waste of cells </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Meanie icon_frown.gif

You miss the fact that he was very very poor from either a corner/free-kick/cross into the box? Mis-punches ? Missing one iirc. Didn't seem as "Comfy" coming out of his 6 yard box, tbf. Just didn't seem to occupy the area as well as he could have. Anticipation, I guess is the word I'm looking for.

Some very good saves as well, don't get me wrong but compared to some of his recent games (before the injury at Spurs) he was below par. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

omgz, he missed one punch /O\

this so-called poor anticipation also clearly in evidence when he made at least three crucial interventions on crosses that were about to be converted icon13.gif

you're out of your depth in here kid. retreat to the more tard-welcoming surroundings of the liverpool thread while you have the chance kthx

C'mon now Nick, there are some extreme reactions but I stand by my statement that the collective display was progressively awful from minute 7 onwards.

It doesn't mean that VDS, Rio, Gabby, Fletch and Park didn't do okay at points but thats all they were, points. Its less of an issue for VDS, Rio & Saha getting a chance to build himself up again since they are closer to the first team picture, but you can't say that its not disheartening to see our players perform as a "team" in that manner, even if the FA Cup is a long way down our priority list (which really only numbers 1 at the minute).

Really your position and ACou's position are opposing sides of the same big picture issue that makes everyone go in swings and roundabouts. Yes key players were rested for Liverpool and thats all well and good, but when our backups conspire to tear a team apart and then fall so dramatically by the wayside its going to provoke a response, because the fear is that when we need them, even when playing amongst players of a higher level, they won't be there to do what needs to be done.

obviously its good that we went through

but a performance like that is a f**king joke. a couple more actual decent players would have probably sealed enough composure for us to hit Reading's massive holes in defence with a couple more goals and then we wouldnt have nearly got ourselves knocked out

Not everyone is slitting their wrists tbf Nick, I think it's fair enough that people want to criticise the performance tonight, which wasn't good on the whole.

But yeah, like I said it hasn't shown me anything that I didn't already know and ultimately, it's job done and our key players rested which is all that counts really. I won't be having nightmares tonight.

you're easily pleased to the point of giddy anyway. can just see you on final day: The United Coach makes it to the stadium first and you'll be doing a lap of honour, tbh.

And we really had better win on Saturday. Because if you think this is bad, I'll be on all you giddy wallies like an army of sumo, a brigade of lard.

And we really had better win on Saturday. Because if you think this is bad, I'll be on all you giddy wallies like an army of sumo, a brigade of lard. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">C'mon now Nick, there are some extreme reactions but I stand by my statement that the collective display was progressively awful from minute 7 onwards. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

but we're through? why the 'woe is us' whinging? oh dear, our reserve team wasn't amazing. hardly cause to tear up season tickets.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">when our backups conspire to tear a team apart and then fall so dramatically by the wayside its going to provoke a response, because the fear is that when we need them, even when playing amongst players of a higher level, they won't be there to do what needs to be done. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

again, and i'm baffled people are missing this point, when are we going to 'need' to throw 8 reserves into a crucial game? when has Fletch let us down when stepping in this season? when has Wes (bar Fulham)? Ole?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

VdS was fine. Good in fact. His main "problems" were when the defence around him was crumbling/acting like clowns. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hell yeah, we'd be sitting in the aftermath of the shoot out lottery (or worse) were it not for him.

you're easily pleased to the point of giddy anyway. can just see you on final day: The United Coach makes it to the stadium first and you'll be doing a lap of honour, tbh. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

\O/

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

I still think the team was the right one though Ant, had we lost tonight then I wouldn't have been shedding too any tears over it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

that's where we differ...

If we had got knocked out, and in the circumstances like that performance tonight, I'd have somehow been fuming even more than I am now. icon_biggrin.gif

you're easily pleased to the point of giddy anyway. can just see you on final day: The United Coach makes it to the stadium first and you'll be doing a lap of honour, tbh. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

\O/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE> icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Young Jimlad:

- We were losing the ball all over the pitch and taking off Richardson and, lets say Park, based on the performances they gave wasn't going to stop Readings momentum.

It would let us counter them with some actual purpose rather than just running into their defenders/giving the ball back immediately though

- Saha had been kicked to bits and given his lack of match time looked like he was running on empty, so Rooney on made sense. By the 75th minute Ole's legs couldn't match his desire anymore and my only gripe is that Fergie waited 10mins too long to make the change. Richardson was terrible but as far as keeping up with Reading players bombing forward he at least had legs to do so, and with us holding on it can be argued that it was less of a handicap.

dont mind Rooney on for Saha but please dont defend Richardson in any way after that 90 minutes.. he once again looked like a non-league player </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

First point can be argued either way IMO, I personally don't think the tide would have turned.

Second point I stand by, if Richardon's fitness and speed are his only redeeming factors and Ole's legs aren't helping the cause defensively then him staying on is better than worse if only for him to be able to randomly get in the way of players coming forward, which he did do a couple of times.

Its not defending Richardson to say he's more able cannon-fodder...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

Not everyone is slitting their wrists tbf Nick, I think it's fair enough that people want to criticise the performance tonight, which wasn't good on the whole. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

nowhere have i said the performance doesn't merit criticism. it's the baby out with the bathwater b*llocks that's ridiculous, not to mention the 'you're a giddy twat' talk if you refuse to join in with it.

I know it's good to play your strongest XI whenever you can, and in the main I agree. But when he have a run of games on Saturday/Tuesday/Saturday/Tuesday/Saturday/Wednesday like we are in the minute, some people are expecting us to play everyone for all of those games and it's just not realistic. Tonight was the night to rest players.

dont mind Rooney on for Saha but please dont defend Richardson in any way after that 90 minutes.. he once again looked like a non-league player </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

First point can be argued either way IMO, I personally don't think the tide would have turned.

Second point I stand by, if Richardon's fitness and speed are his only redeeming factors and Ole's legs aren't helping the cause defensively then him staying on is better than worse if only for him to be able to randomly get in the way of players coming forward, which he did do a couple of times.

Its not defending Richardson to say he's more able cannon-fodder... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Okay he stood in the way twice. And both occasions literally did JUST stand there, about 5 yards away from the player, not even LOOKING to put in a tackle.

He needs to be put down. Now.

This negativity is getting stupid. We're getting to the business end of the season. Only ten game to go in the league and the sharp end of the cups. Frankly I don't care how we play any more results are all that count. Results playing only three first teamers count double. Worrying about performance is for the start of the season.

I also noticed more than one occasion when KR could have chased back (after it being himself who f**ked up and gave the ball away - SHOCKER) ... but didnt... he just watched Reading come at us on the counter

There was absolutely zero reason for him to be on the field. Let alone for the full 90.

I know it's good to play your strongest XI whenever you can, and in the main I agree. But when he have a run of games on Saturday/Tuesday/Saturday/Tuesday/Saturday/Wednesday like we are in the minute, some people are expecting us to play everyone for all of those games and it's just not realistic. Tonight was the night to rest players. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've said all along resting a few is fine. but that many.. and then CONTINUING to refuse to put Scholes/Ronnie on despite a performance that inept?

no. it was not the right decision.

There was absolutely zero reason for him to be on the field. Let alone for the full 90. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I disagree, despite his awfulness, I didn't want Giggs/Ronaldo to play because they have played a lot recently...which bluntly leaves Park and Richardson, which highlights the weakness of the squad in the case of the latter really.

I know it's good to play your strongest XI whenever you can, and in the main I agree. But when he have a run of games on Saturday/Tuesday/Saturday/Tuesday/Saturday/Wednesday like we are in the minute, some people are expecting us to play everyone for all of those games and it's just not realistic. Tonight was the night to rest players. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've said all along resting a few is fine. but that many.. and then CONTINUING to refuse to put Scholes/Ronnie on despite a performance that inept?

no. it was not the right decision. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

correctamundo, if our morale officer Herr Oberst Morgan will allow me to say so

There was absolutely zero reason for him to be on the field. Let alone for the full 90. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I disagree, despite his awfulness, I didn't want Giggs/Ronaldo to play because they have played a lot recently...which bluntly leaves Park and Richardson, which highlights the weakness of the squad in the case of the latter really. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There is no way a youth player could have been as bad as Richardson was. At least a younger player would have been more up for making an impact and would put some effort in.

no. it was not the right decision. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We were 3-1 up until the death, I didn't see any point in panicking and rushing them on.

As for resting some but not others...bluntly I can see a perfectly valid argument for resting every single player that he did, and there was only Richardson who was not good enough.

Even JOS was fine, he played in our run of winning 8/9 games on the trot last season against teams like Reading, nothing wrong with giving him a runout and resting Carrick.

Archived