The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by No Longer Bling:

never been more excited about a player signing for us than seba, remember being genuinely giddy as a school girl. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

same, i was so so happy. shame he turned out to be ****

Aha, just came across this article in the Times from yesterday.

The Times knows where its at icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

March 05, 2007

The Ides of May haunting City

May 5 is two months away and if you support Manchester City, it could be the worst day of your life. Looking into a crystal ball and trying to predict what will happen in the future is a hazardous business but it does not take Mystic Meg to work out that on the first Saturday in May, Manchester United could win the Barclays Premiership title at the City of Manchester Stadium and send their local rivals spinning out of the top flight for the first time since 2001.

What goes around can come around. In the final match of the 1973-74 season, Denis Law’s backheel at Old Trafford condemned United to a season in the wilderness of the second division. United supporters old enough to remember that dark day in their club’s history still feel the pain. City supporters celebrated like there was no tomorrow, even though their team finished fourteenth. If you support City, imagine Gary Neville and his teammates lifting the Premiership trophy in front of you after your team have been relegated. Imagine a boot stamping on a human face — for ever.

Stranger things have happened, but, six weeks ago, any United supporter anticipating such a scenario would have been told to go away and sit down in a dark room. City were comfortable in mid-table, Micah Richards was worth £18 million and Stuart Pearce was singing the praises of his players and talking up Joey Barton’s chances of breaking into the England squad. One Premiership goal later, City are seventeenth, playing like a team who are destined for the drop and Pearce has hit the panic button by blaming the board for not backing him in the transfer market.

“Over the last two or three years, we have not speculated as well as we should have done financially and it is probably catching up on us,†the manager said. “Our rivals have spent a lot more than us. We have to invest more.â€

How that admission of weakness will affect his players’ fragile confidence at a crucial point in the season is anyone’s guess, but Pearce may have been better advised to keep his thoughts to himself until the summer. There is no arguing with Pearce’s maths when he claims that he has spent £11 million and recouped £24 million since he replaced Kevin Keegan two years ago, but considering the dismal contribution of some of his purchases and his side’s plight, his comments — when the transfer window is shut and his team are supposed to be fighting for the lives — smacked of desperation.

Should a manager who thought that Georgios Samaras was worth £6 million be given more money to spend? Not according to the City supporters, who have to watch the pedestrian Greece forward every week. Every Premiership side needs four strikers, but has a top-flight squad ever contained four more ineffective forwards than Samaras, Bernardo Corradi, Darius Vassell and Paul Dickov? City’s Premiership record of 20 goals in 27 matches tells its own tale.

“We have to put the ball in the back of the net between now and the end of the season and then look at where we need to strengthen,†Pearce said. “Some transfers work out and some don’t — that is the nature of football.â€

On the evidence of this pitiful performance against Wigan Athletic, City will need to strengthen even if they are playing in the Coca-Cola Championship next season. Wigan played like a team who were desperate to climb above their opponents and away from the relegation zone. City played like a team sleepwalking towards disaster. While Samaras and Corradi preened and posed, Caleb Folan, Emile Heskey and Lee McCulloch busted their guts to score the goal that would silence the home crowd and spread apprehension and fear through the City ranks.

Folan, who is playing like the hungriest forward in the Premiership after his £500,000 transfer from Chesterfield in January, was too hot for Richard Dunne and Sylvain Distin to handle, especially when he evaded his markers to beat Nicky Weaver with a firm header from close range after 18 minutes.

“I am very disappointed with the way we approached the game,†Pearce, whose side still have to play Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool as well as United, said. “The players will be made aware during the week of our shortcomings and we will be learning lessons from getting beaten at home.â€

Wigan are too good to go down. City’s fate is in their own hands — that’s why their supporters are worried. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

boro ballot results now put back to tomorrow, what an utter utter joke. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The ticket office will be phoning round on the morning of the match at this rate.

How the **** are people meant to make arrangements? Surely they can release the 'x' number that are confirmed and then do more if / when we get the tickets?

barmy.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JulesMUFC:

i think that would be the best day of my life if we sent down city on the same day as winning the prem. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>i think most united fans would say that

couldnt give two ****s what happens to them in all honesty, will be a mickey mouse small club for as long as im alive so if that means season after season of belief > belief > cup run > uhoh> cup run > sh*t were dropping > out of cup > mini fightback > DERBY DAY POINT!!!! > 16th place whoop, then so be it.

I WANT OUR TITLE BACK.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">video of our fans at anfield at the end of the game from the liverpool end. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

is that richardson popping up around the 1 minute mark?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by No Longer Bling:

couldnt give two ****s what happens to them in all honesty, will be a mickey mouse small club for as long as im alive so if that means season after season of belief > belief > cup run > uhoh> cup run > sh*t were dropping > out of cup > mini fightback > DERBY DAY POINT!!!! > 16th place whoop, then so be it.

I WANT OUR TITLE BACK. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I largely agree, although it's been too long since we've just battered them. I want a four goal drubbing at some point...

Yeah but with City its always been the case that they get far more pleasure out of beating us than we do out of beating them.

But the sheer pain we could inflict by relegating them and at the same time winning the league on their home turf would be oh so sweet.

A fella I know gets 4 tickets for every game through Wes Brown (don't ask - that's what he tells me) and that's what he sells them for. Dunno if he'll sell to people he doesn't know though.

There's probably 15-20 people who want each game but me and Fat Dave get 1st refusal on his spare two. icon14.gif

Injury news from the Guardian

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Manchester United have announced Wayne Rooney will be fit to face Lille at Old Trafford. Liverpool defender Jamie Carragher tore an ugly gash in the striker's leg with a clumsy tackle on his England team-mate during Saturday Premeirship game at Anfield, but no serious damage was done and Rooney will be available to help his side protect, or build on, their 1-0 lead over the French outfit.

"Ronney's OK," said manager Sir Alex Ferguson. "We've a couple of doubts but he's not one of them."

On the downside for United, however, is news that Louis Saha is not fit to face his compatriots and midfielder Darren Fletcher will miss the next two months with ankle ligament trouble. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rooney fit icon14.gif

Saha crocked, quelle surprise

No mighty Fletch til May icon13.gificon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

Can't stand people that sell over face value. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ditto. But when it's the only real, reliable way I can get a ticket I don't have that much choice. I've got a membership but not got one ticket through ballots yet and my uncle goes to every game now, so can never use his ST.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SLO_Fila:

Well either Scholes or Carrick better not get any further bans and/or injuries and Saha will hopefully be fit for the next league game and stay fit until end of season.

Ffs! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I mean both Scholes and Carrick better...

jesus christ.

new striker in the summer a must really, Saha just ridiculously unreliable. like the guy, he's very useful when on form but nowhere near good enough to tolerate these constant f**king injuries.

Fletch icon_frown.gif

is there where our luck with injuries this season starts to run out?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

is there where our luck with injuries this season starts to run out? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I chuffing well hope not. We've been so much better than Chelsea this season so far, sure they're winning games but not in the style that United have done.

I agree another striker is a definate must. Larsson has done alright but he's back home soon. Saha is nowhere near good enough, inconsistent and always liable to pick up an injury.

Fernando Torres would be an ideal striker to partner Rooney, it's just weather or not Fergie is looking at him as a possible signing.

• Administrators

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LibertineFM:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

is there where our luck with injuries this season starts to run out? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I chuffing well hope not. We've been so much better than Chelsea this season so far, sure they're winning games but not in the style that United have done.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

believe it or not, you only get three points for a win, and ultimately nothing else matters.

Your luck with injuries will be just fine btw.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

I blame my page topper icon_frown.gif

And with this injury news I'm now back in the 'we probably won't win the league' camp... :/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah same. With the Liveprool game i moved in the "believe" section. Now i'm back in the non-believer crowd.

Linky

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Police investigate Mikel transfer

Teenager Mikel joined Chelsea in June last year

Norwegian police say they are investigating the transfer of Nigerian midfielder Mikel Jon Obi to Chelsea.

The 19-year-old joined the Blues from Lyn Oslo in June 2006, after initially agreeing to sign for Manchester United.

"The case is about document forgery and that is serious," said Oslo police attorney Paal Hernaes.

Mikel agreed to join United in April 2005 but later said he had been pressurised into signing for the club and agreed to move to the Blues.

In June, Chelsea announced they had reached a financial settlement with United and Lyn under which they would pay United £12m and the Norwegian club £4m.

The police expect to complete their investigation by early April.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do we have take him if Chelsea have to give him back? I mean, we've got Scholes if we want someone to get sent off, Park if we want someone to arse about in midfield and Sir John O'Shea if we want late goals against lesser opponents.

so a midfield of carrick and oshea for the next 3 domestic games? could be in big trouble there as carrick needs scholes next to him to look even remotely capable and oshea wouldnt look capable with a tank watching his back.

smudge midfield return :*) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

EVEN though O'Shea is brilliant icon_cool.gif

Archived