The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Europe XI: Lippi completes squad

Marcello Lippi has confirmed the final inclusions into his 22-man squad.

The latest additions are Bayern Munich goalkeeper Oliver Kahn and Inter Milan pair Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Fabio Grosso.

The match, which celebrates 50 years of United in European competition, has drawn together some of the finest players in the world. You can watch the game live on MUTV Online.

Lippi's squad looks an imposing proposition for Sir Alex Ferguson, who has said he will put out his strongest available side.

The full Europe XI squad

Goalkeepers: Oliver Kahn, Grégory Coupet, Iker Casillas.

Defenders: Paolo Maldini, Jamie Carragher, Eric Abidal, Lilan Thuram, Carles Puyol, Marco Materazzi, Fabio Grosso.

Midfielders: Gianluca Zambrotta, Steven Gerrard, Juninho Pernambucano, Florent Malouda, Luis Miguel, Gennaro Gattuso, Andrea Pirlo.

Strikers: Ronaldinho, Ronaldo, Alessandro Mancini, Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Henrik Larsson. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jibes about the game aside, what a squad of players that is icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Carragher aside, fb

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I stand by my views earlier, I never care about the FA Cup til we get to the business end, it's simply a distant third in the list of priorities and always will be.

I'd have taken an FA Cup defeat for 3pts at the Emirates without a shadow of a doubt.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by No Longer Bling:

what mika said. hes well better than you acou. YOUVE CHANGED. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

I never at any stage wanted us out icon_biggrin.gif

And best chance of a trophy or not, it's a tinpot one. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

it's not tinpot. it's not as big as it once was and is obviously 3rd in the list. but it's still worth winning.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

Do you still want us out? Or are we close enough for it to be worth "trying" now?

Either way you're a disgrace tbh. the FA Cup remains our best chance of a trophy </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Does that mean we should play weakened teams in the league and in Europe so we can concentrate on winning the FA Cup?

Shut up

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by No Longer Bling:

at the start of the season id definitely have took 2nd place, good euro run and the fa cup. reason it can be considered tinpot now is winning that and only that would amount to a horrible season surely. its only worth winning if its combined with the league or cl for me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

that's my point. Mika was dismissing it from the word go.

It's still got a lot more value than the CC

i (L) the fa cup.

certainly not a tincup trophy, some of my fondest united moments came in the fa cup and some jcl like mika cannot say anything to take away its awesomeness.

admittedly its not as important on the scale of things but last season or the season before i wouldve killed for it as a trophy

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

it's not tinpot. it's not as big as it once was and is obviously 3rd in the list. but it's still worth winning. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh it is.

it's not tinpot. it's not as big as it once was and is obviously 3rd in the list. but it's still worth winning. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh it is. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

lies

It's still got a lot more value than the CC </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

See that's the difference for me, these days there isn't much of a distinction for me. Give the FA Cup winners a CL place and I might change my mind...

Care so little about it this season. I've cared much more in seasons gone by, particularly prior to 2004 when we hadn't really got going in the competition for a few years. But we did well then, and in 2005, and this year just became more and more about the league.

But as for memories of it... well, the 1990 FA Cup final made me fall in love with football. So it'll always be special to me.

I'm not denying that the FA Cup has produced great memories for us and all, the semi against Arsenal in 1999 remains arguably the best game I have ever seen. But it's just not the same for me these days, the league and CL are just so much more important that until the QF/SF stage, the FA Cup is a mere hinderence.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Weststandred:

I remember when you said "Carling Cup > FA Cup" Mika, I was crying with laughter, then I realised you wasn't joking. icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif

The Carling Cup is fun because it's at night and night games >>>>>>>> *, it lets us see our youngsters as we know full well Fergie won't pretend to try until the QFs, and you don't get replays.

In terms of importance ofc I know that winning the FA Cup has greater significance, but still, in the context of our league challenge this season, it's just not something of importance.

i agree regarding our league challenge, but we have always managed to maintain a league challenge as well as an fa cup run. I cant think of one instance where the fa cup has hindered our league run, it gives a boost and the chance of a cup final usually gives us some inspiration.

mon the fa cup, mon the league, mon united icon_cool.gif. gay monday evening replay.

is there any news of reduced price for the game at any chance?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bagpuss:

We better not get to the FA Cup final as i am running a Marathon in Derbyshire that day icon_frown.gif

Also running another marathon the day after too icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know you're in training but how is that not dangerous for your body? Surely running so much in a short space of time can't be positive for your condition in the long-term?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Young Jimlad:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bagpuss:

We better not get to the FA Cup final as i am running a Marathon in Derbyshire that day icon_frown.gif

Also running another marathon the day after too icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know you're in training but how is that not dangerous for your body? Surely running so much in a short space of time can't be positive for your condition in the long-term? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

it'll be a challenge thats for sure but i'm not looking to do either of them fast

i'd be happy to complete them both with out fecking myself up

it would be useful experience for if i wanted to do any thing longer than a marathon

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Juni:

Look right

You WILL beat Bolton

You WILL beat Blackburn

You WILL beat Portsmouth

You WILL beat Middlesbrough

You WILL beat Man City

You WILL beat West Ham

There you have 18 points. Chelsea can only take 30 more. You have currently a 9 point lead. Chelsea will not take maximum points from their remaining games, therefore the three points difference we can feasibly make back isn't going to happen, so the title is yours.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The league is our best chance, but depending on our striker situation, in addition to our recent poor form (first half v Boro aside) i could see us stupidly drawing at least two of those games. While i don't see you winning every game between now and the end of the season either, it's certainly not over.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">You WILL beat Middlesbrough and you WILL beat Watford, so you're in the Cup Final. We on the other hand won't beat Spurs, so the quadruple is gone. Up to you what you wanna do with that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd expect us to beat Watford, but it's getting there. Fergie has already said we're going to have to use the pool of players now, so it may depend almost entirely on what team we put out. It could be a long way from the first team. As for you, i think Spurs missed their chance, and you'll beat them in the replay.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">You'll beat Roma and Milan, perhaps struggle through against Bayern. We'll maybe beat Valencia then lose to Liverpool. Once again, it's then down to you. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

For someone with such a large knowledge of world football, you seem to have missed an awful lot of our performances in europe over the last few years. Our home performances have been patchy at best, our away ones almost uniformly awful. And the worst parts about that have been that a) they've continued this season despite the league resurgance, and b) they've seem to have been as much down to the way the team has been asked to play as it being any fault of the players, which makes it harder to imagine things changing. Again, with regards to Chelsea, you've been far more comfortable against liverpool (with the exception of the last CL meeting), and with two tight thinking teams, in Drogba and Lampard you've got the two players most likely to come up with the deciding goal.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I fully expect many to find faults here but ultimately you'll end up with far more trophies than us this season, over-the-top pessimism or not. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I really can't see you winning 4, but i can't see us winning more than 2 at the absolute best, so i'd say it'll be close again at the death, probably even or you one ahead in a straight trophy count.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Juni:

so it's alright to talk about players you've never signed and probably won't ever sign but not about former strikers who did tons for your club?

Interesting. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And i know this was a troll, but i don't care. I don't care who we talk about, past present or future. It's talking about the same past player, and all the ins and outs of him leaving and what he's doing now and how much better we'd be if he was still here every single ****ing day that's become really boring.

I thought I had it bad not being able to go to the semi, but you could miss the final. icon13.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Weststandred:

I thought I had it bad not being able to go to the semi, but you could miss the final. icon13.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

2 marathons in 2 days? He might never see another game again.

RIP Bagpuss icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Young Jimlad:

I know you're in training but how is that not dangerous for your body? Surely running so much in a short space of time can't be positive for your condition in the long-term? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

it'll be a challenge thats for sure but i'm not looking to do either of them fast

i'd be happy to complete them both with out fecking myself up

it would be useful experience for if i wanted to do any thing longer than a marathon </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think I could comfortably walk 52 miles in the space of 48 hours let alone run/jog it.

And longer than a marathon? Planning to do a Phileas Fogg on foot are you? icon_biggrin.gif

Fair play anyway man icon14.gif, I really couldn't be arsed with training for something that demanding or intensive unless it guaranteed that someone found the cure for cancer or something.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coldberg:

Dibs on Keith's final ticket. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

heartless bastard, he's not even cold in the ground yet and you're divvying up his posessions icon_mad.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by theis:

Mika be quiet. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This tbf icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

no arguments there

absolutely fecking brilliant

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by theis:

Mika be quiet. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This tbf icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

both ffffb videos.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coldberg:

heartless bastard, he's not even cold in the ground yet and you're divvying up his posessions icon_mad.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

shot gun his car and ill drive us to rome \o/.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JulesMUFC:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

heartless bastard, he's not even cold in the ground yet and you're divvying up his posessions icon_mad.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

shot gun his car and ill drive us to rome \o/. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I actually meant because he will be running a marathon but I assume you got that.

Martin literally praying Keith doesn't make it so he can write off the 5 figure debt icon13.gif

Motson wasn't completely senile then either interestingly. I'd forgotten that there was a time when he wasn't the worst broadcaster on TV. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's true.

You notice all the more just how awful he's become when watching that clip

No commentator, Pleat/Clive/Gray included, make me want to scream at the TV as much as Motson (esp. with Lawrenson alongside him) .. just horrible to listen to.

shotgun his seat. not the driver's seat ofc

although sadly i think we've all been misled by a typo. what keith really means is he's going to eat two marathons in two days (someone ought to tell him they're called snickers now really).

Archived