The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

Kieran Richardson with a chance to win us all over tonight then. cripple that fat **** Kieran and all is forgiven. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fowler would win me over if he crippled Richardson to be fair icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

Come on lads, wishing injuries on our players is OUT OF ORDER ffs icon_mad.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

wishing injuries on any player is out of order tbh

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

Come on lads, wishing injuries on our players is OUT OF ORDER ffs icon_mad.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Missing the point ifb.

Dear Martin,

Thank you for your note. The Club decided at the start of the season the pricing for all games – which covered domestic cup games plus supplements for the knockout stages of the ECL. We firmly believe that our ticket prices are very reasonable and compare favourably with all other FAPL Clubs (taking into account the quality of the team, quality of the stadium etc). Our ticket prices for next year are currently being reviewed and will be announced in April.

Kind regards,

David Gill

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

Missing the point ifb. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

irony?

Awesome.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rcjuk:

while were beefing

stop posting getty images picture ffs icon_mad.gif

If I want to see them I'll go look.

xx </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nah (+1)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Fred_the_Red:

Where did the word 'beef' come from? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

beef is cognate with the modern French bœuf, meaning cow

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

dont suppose any of you guys are going to the youth cup game at the emirates tomorrow night? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Juni is.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

Beefing with everybody in here atm icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Who - you or me? icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Me icon_biggrin.gif

Me icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fair enough.

I still ♥ you, in a strictly non-gay way.

Me icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fair enough.

I still ♥ you, in a strictly non-gay way. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay

ESPN on our treble chances. icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">MANCHESTER UNITED - Premiership chances.

It's in their own hands. United have to drop points, and Chelsea have to capitalise if they are to throw away the title. It's happened before, but the smart money is on United this year.

They do have the tougher run in, with the likes of Blackburn, Bolton, Portsmouth and Everton to come; but crucially (and it may come down to this) they have Man City and West Ham in their final two matches.

Points on the board beats games in hand and United are in an incredible position, especially with Chelsea still to play. Cristiano Ronaldo is the Premiership's most in-form player at the moment, while Nemanja Vidic and Rio Ferdinand have kept the defence together. United have strength in depth, although an injury to Wayne Rooney would dismantle their season, as they weren't able to persuade Henrik Larsson to stay and have little cover up front.

Keep piling on the points and the title is a formality. Even the potential decider against Chelsea could be rendered meaningless if the Blues drop points. Ronaldo may beat Drogba to 'Player of the Year' as well, just to rub it in.

VERDICT: It's theirs to throw away, which they won't do - finishing 1st.

FA Cup

The best placed team in the competition, having been held to a draw at Middlesbrough, they now have home advantage and a potential tie against a side almost certain of relegation, Watford, to look forward to.

Sir Alex Ferguson has an excellent record in the competition, having won it five times in his time at the club. Criticised in the past for showing the competition a lack of respect, United will certainly be favourites if they overcome Middlesbrough - a side that have a good recent record at Old Trafford.

A potential final against Chelsea makes the first FA Cup final at the new Wembley an exciting prospect, and this is surely Ferguson's best chance of a trophy.

VERDICT: Going all the way to do 'the Double' - beating Chelsea in the final.

Champions League

Again, there is an argument that United are the best placed team in the competition with AS Roma to overcome in the quarter-finals.

A favourable draw against Lille in the previous round has given United the confidence they need to succeed, and Roma should not provide too much of an obstacle, despite a morale boosting win over Lyon.

Veteran European campaigners in the form of Gary Neville, Paul Scholes and Ryan Giggs still form the backbone of the squad, while Ronaldo and Rooney provide the youthful exhuberance. They will meet one of Europe's top clubs in the semi-finals, and having lost home and away against Milan in 2004/05, may have a tough task to get to the final in Athens.

Should they get that far though, a final against Liverpool or Chelsea would be great for the Premiership and United would have the added impetus of a treble to chase. The Scousers may have something to say about that, but as with the other competitions, United are well placed to succeed.

Although there is a long way to go yet, it could all hinge on the final few games of the season, and if both teams play to the best of their abilities, that could mean Man Utd against Chelsea in all three competitions. Winner takes all.

VERDICT: Look good, but fixture congestion will see them ousted in the semis.

TREBLE CHANCES: The Premiership is there to be taken, as is the FA Cup. The Champions League will be the biggest test, but a repeat of 1999 is on the cards. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did you read the quite frankly brilliant roundup of the friendly on ESPN? icon_biggrin.gif

Guy was so very into it it seems icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Manchester United 4-3 Europe XI: Ronaldo class

There was no Beckham - not playing at least - no Ronaldinho, no Maldini and the original Ronaldo was missing too.

But the thousands of schoolchildren present on an evening when Manchester United celebrated the 50th anniversary of their own entry into Europe - along with the somewhat more significant Treaty of Rome - and raised £1.25million for charity into the bargain, were still given a thrill to remember for the rest of their lives.

Over the past month, notable Manchester United figures from past and present have queued up to confirm Cristiano Ronaldo's importance to the Red Devils' cause.

And here, freed from the pressures and restrictions of competitive combat, the brilliant 22-year-old showed off the full range of his mesmerising skill.

Showed off is the appropriate phrase too, given Ronaldo played to the gallery at every opportunity.

The dancing feet, never-ending stepovers, strong running, flicked passes. A true performer in every sense of the word.

In the end, Marco Materazzi - the man Zinedine Zidane ended his career by headbutting in last summer's World Cup - lived out his own childhood dream, reverting to the tactics of the playground by hacking Ronaldo down by the touchline.

The tackle was taken in good grace, and with a half smile, although Ronaldo had plenty to smile about by that stage, having rasped home a free-kick good enough to grace any of the great European nights the Theatre of Dreams has played host to down the years.

Ronaldo's effort, teed up with Jonny Wilkinson-like precision, bent so many ways before rasping into the top corner that Valencia's Santiago Canizares, widely acknowledged as one of the best keepers in Europe, began by moving with it, then just gave up and watched it fly past him like the rest of the awe-struck 74,343 crowd - a record for a friendly game at the stadium.

Even Beckham, sat in the directors' box alongside wife Victoria, devastated at not being able to play a more active part in his 'homecoming' must have appreciated it.

To the type of reception normally associated with the Beatles, Beckham addressed the United fans at half-time, declaring Sir Alex Ferguson to be the 'best manager in the world' and his days at Old Trafford 'the best of my career'.

Time moves on, though. Four years have passed since the former England skipper and lifelong United supporter graced this stadium on club duty.

His contribution to the Red Devils' success will never be forgotten or underestimated but the club has new heroes now in Ronaldo and Wayne Rooney.

Without a Champions League goal since September 2004, Rooney proved he can cut it against high-ranking opposition, albeit ones who do not tackle, by taking just five minutes to get his name on the scoresheet, a little shimmy taking Canizares out of the game as he tapped Paul Scholes' through ball into an empty net.

A bit of trickery from old master Ryan Giggs provided Wes Brown with a second for United before Lyon's Florent Malouda pulled one back with what would have been the goal of the night had it not been for Ronaldo's stunner.

Zlatan Ibrahimovic had missed a penalty by the time Rooney finished off Park Ji-Sung's cross for a United fourth.

The numerous changes for both sides at half-time included the exit of Ronaldo and Rooney and the arrival of Steven Gerrard and Jamie Carragher for Marcello Lippi's makeshift European side.

With El-Hadji Diouf - who pulled a goal back with a close-range header - on as well, the home fans had three players with Liverpool connections to abuse.

However, none received as negative a reaction as Robbie Fowler, one half of probably the most unpopular substitute Old Trafford has ever seen as Henrik Larsson departed for the final time to a hero's welcome.

All that was left was a near-perfect Mexican wave, which was rolling round the ground as China international Dong Fangzhou was given his first taste of the Old Trafford atmosphere, and a late Diouf penalty after Gabriel Heinze had handled.

But as they headed for home, there was only one name on the lips of those kids for whom a real-life glimpse of United is a rare event indeed. For them there really is only one Ronaldo.

Ferguson delighted after tribute match

Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson hailed Tuesday night's UEFA celebration game as a fitting tribute to the club's 50 years in European competition.

United beat a Europe XI 4-3 thanks to two goals from Wayne Rooney and one apiece from Wes Brown and Cristiano Ronaldo - the latter a sublime 30-yard free-kick of which the watching David Beckham would have been proud.

Marcello Lippi's hastily-assembled Europe XI were 4-1 down at half-time - Florent Malouda their scorer - but won the second half thanks to a double from substitute El-Hadji Diouf.

The Old Trafford encounter also commemorated the 50th anniversary of the Treaty of Rome and was played in a fitting spirit of camaraderie.

Ferguson said: 'It was a fantastic night of players relaxing. It's amazing when you can play without pressure that they can enjoy themselves this much.

'For everyone coming, it was a really good night.'

He added: 'It was good that there were so many young people here. Ticket prices were good for young people to get here tonight and it was good to see some fantastic football also.'

Being a celebration game, the were the inevitable pre-match niceties. It was also announced that Beckham would address the crowd at half-time, much to the delight of the 73,000 in attendance.

Ferguson missed the emotional speech - as he was in the dressing room - but was not surprised Beckham received such a warm welcome in his first appearance in front of United fans for almost four years.

'I'd expect he'd get a great reception,' Ferguson said.

'Even teams, when their managers have played for our club, always get a fantastic reception, quite rightly too.'

In his address, Beckham called Ferguson the greatest manager in the world.

His former boss - who once accidentally kicked a boot in the then England captain's face - later reciprocated.

'He had great years here. He came as a boy and all his formative years were spent here,' Ferguson said.

'It was a great foundation here before he went on to Real Madrid. He was a great player.'

Europe XI boss Lippi echoed Ferguson's sentiments about the occasion but admitted he was disappointed so many high-profile players were forced to pull out through injury.

'It was meant to be a celebration and it was - the two jubilees that we celebrated,' he said.

'In terms of players, of course the aim was to get really the best players in the world and some of them unfortunately got held up or injured over the weekend.

'There were some changes, as you all know, but what I saw on the pitch was a good performance and a good show for the 73,000.

'I thank all those players that came because some came at the last minute and were quite keen to play in this celebration match.'

Lippi's side inevitably struggled to gel and he said: 'It takes years to build a team and we tried to build one in an afternoon - there are some limitations with that.'

United also had their injury problems going into the game, and Ferguson admitted afterwards that goalkeeper Edwin van der Sar would not be available until after the forthcoming international break.

He is also expecting to be without strikers Louis Saha and Ole Gunnar Solsjkaer for the same period of time.

But Ferguson did calm any fears about first-choice central defensive partnership Nemanja Vidic and Rio Ferdinand, who should both be available for Saturday's game with Bolton.

Ferguson said: 'Nemanja had a small break in the cartilage in his nose and he went to hospital this morning to get some of the blood drained away, just a little clot. He's fine.

'Rio Ferdinand went for a scan on his ribs but he's okay.' </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ffs icon_biggrin.gif

If we want it an F.A Cup final place is surely ours and i hope we put out a team good enough to beat Boro.

Like everyone else says the Champions League really is anyones this season but i dont feel we can win on three fronts with the injuries/squad we have.

Prem going to be a close run thing too.

Christ SSN made me panic earlier, I stuck it on at 7am and one of their first stories began with:

"AND ON TO A MAJOR BLOW IN MANCHESTER UNITED'S HOPES FOR THE PREMIERSHIP.."

And I was thinking wtf, Ronaldo out? Scholes banned for longer? Rio out for the season?

"MIKAEL SILVESTRE HAS BEEN RULED OUT FOR THREE MONTHS AFTER HAVING AN OPERATION ON HIS SHOULDER"

Now as much as I like the guy, thank Christ that it wasn't a fresh injury to one of our key 4/5 icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ajw2255:

i thought we kenew silvestre was ut for a while anyway.

Not exactly news is it </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The newspapers had assumed that because Boulahrouz did the same thing and was out for 3 weeks, Silvestre would be too. Now it's three months, so I guess it's worth a mention.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Manchester United's treble hopes have been dealt a Manchester City like MASSIVE boost with the news that Mikael Silvestre has been ruled out for the remainder of the campaign. The French defender dislocated his shoulder in the final stages of last week's Champions League win over Lille but Sir Alex Ferguson claimed last week that the former Inter Milan player was great comedy value and a complete and utter clownshoes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

mickey icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

I could swear it was reported Mickey was out of the season days ago. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

thats what i thought aswell

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

We're gonna win the treble icon_mad.gif

Oh and Citeh will win tonight FULL STOP </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wrong on both counts.

We didn't sign Hargreaves either, mate icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

Them that let me use there membership to apply for Lille away, can I do the same for Roma away please? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aye go on then.

Archived