The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by No Longer Bling:

not worth even close to £25m

GET BENT FERGIE. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Likewise Bent not even close to being worth the £18m that was turned down in January.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> MANCHESTER UNITED last night stepped up their interest in Serie A hotshot Fabio Quagliarella.

I can reveal that Sir Alex Ferguson's brother Martin, United's European scout, was in Genoa to watch Sampdoria's league clash with Palermo.

All of Europe's leading clubs are watching Sampdoria ace Quagliarella, 23.

But I understand United have stolen a march on their rivals - and agents in Italy are aware they mean business.

Quagliarella, with 10 goals in 25 Serie A games, is highly rated within Italy, where AC Milan, Juventus and Inter Milan are all watching his development.

United have watched him several times in recent weeks and, as People Sport revealed last week, they are also keeping tabs on Ajax striker Jan Huntelaar and Reading's Leroy Lita. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not that I think we'll be making a striker a high priority transfer target in the summer unless Rossi &/or Smith are moved on, but just out of interest are people happy to break up the Saha/Rooney partnership after one full season? Whether they are a partnership in terms of really successful link up play between the two being a regular feature of our attacking play I'm not so sure but what the two of them playing up top gives us as part of a collective attacking threat isn't something I'd throw away.

If we had space in the squad for a back-up striker who can score goals regularly in domestic competition & was prepared to play as and when he was needed rather than expect to start, Bent would be a good choice and wouldn't jeopardise what Fergie's developed in the past 18 months. £8mill at the absolute max though.

Berbatov is a different matter. I do think he's quality but I'm not sure how having him up top would impact upon our style of play since he's a different type of player to both Ruud and Saha (I'm working on the basis of course that Rooney is a defacto 1st choice striker). It would freshen things up again and give us established quality in depth since he is better than Smith and Rossi is still all about potential but add in the potentially destabilizing effect of signing him (I'm thinking about Saha's mentality primarily here) & the price I'd rather go with stability personally.

As for KJH, all I've seen are clips of him scoring goals and not a lot else. He's an accomplished finisher for sure & seems to have potential but he's still too much of an unknown quantity outside of his reputation for me. Thats not to say I'd be unhappy with him being signed but I'd reserve judgement for a while.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Young Jimlad:

but just out of interest are people happy to break up the Saha/Rooney partnership after one full season? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes personally, for all the things that he brings to us, I still ultimately don't think that he is really good enough to start every week, and more importantly, I dom't trust him to stay fit for an extended period. We lost him around Christmas and were lucky to have Larsson to come in, we won't have that luxury all of the time.

Then I guess that's your argument for signing a backup player like Bent...but personally I'd be looking to bring in someone who could potentially be first choice.

Yes i would be happy to break icon_biggrin.gif

When Saha came with those 12mil pounds everybody was doubting him but i was confident he will make his mark on the club and was trully happy for him to have signed.

I was genuinely pleased and he had my full support.

However due to his injuries and lack of any will to play up until his latest injury turned me from giving him all my support to wanting to beat the ****er to hell.

saha is a superb player, i would have no issue on relying on him and rooney as our first choice partnership IF he could stay fit. but its evident thats his biggest problem rather than talent so i hope one of our major targets this summer is a first choice forward and hes used more sparingly next season.

still king tho.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SLO_Fila:

However due to his injuries and lack of any will to play up until his latest injury turned me from giving him all my support to wanting to beat the ****er to hell. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A touch harsh? icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SLO_Fila:

However due to his injuries and lack of any will to play up until his latest injury turned me from giving him all my support to wanting to beat the ****er to hell. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A touch harsh? icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope. Especially now that u reminded me that he missed ALL of his 1 on 1 chanches this season.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

..you cant drink a pint of bovril... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mike icon_cool.gif

AS for breaking up Rooney & Saha, as many of you lot have already said, I think on his day and when he is injury-free Louis is a great player for us and some of his link up play over the past 12-16 months has been utterly fantastic at times.

That said it's the fact that it's rare he is injury-free and sometimes goes missing in matches when you need your strikers to 'lead from the front' , so to answer your question yes I would be prepared to break the partnership up but only for someone with proven quality in front of goal.

A fit Louis Saha is a brilliant asset for us. Really liked his partnership with Rooney. As so many have said though, it just can't be relied on. Ideally, I'd like to bring someone in next season and retain King Louis, rotate them a bit like, but I doubt he'd be happy with that tbh.

Bent would be ace. of all the names mentioned he's probably the best fit for our system (along with Torres). great as Berbs and Hunty are, will we still be able to play the type of football we've produced this season with a less mobile striker like one of them upfront?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> MANCHESTER UNITED last night stepped up their interest in Serie A hotshot Fabio Quagliarella.

I can reveal that Sir Alex Ferguson's brother Martin, United's European scout, was in Genoa to watch Sampdoria's league clash with Palermo.

All of Europe's leading clubs are watching Sampdoria ace Quagliarella, 23.

But I understand United have stolen a march on their rivals - and agents in Italy are aware they mean business.

Quagliarella, with 10 goals in 25 Serie A games, is highly rated within Italy, where AC Milan, Juventus and Inter Milan are all watching his development.

United have watched him several times in recent weeks and, as People Sport revealed last week, they are also keeping tabs on Ajax striker Jan Huntelaar and Reading's Leroy Lita. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

just noticed the last line of this - Leroy Lita? icon_biggrin.gif

decent player but clearly not the class of striker we have to be looking at.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

Bent would be ace. of all the names mentioned he's probably the best fit for our system (along with Torres). great as Berbs and Hunty are, will we still be able to play the type of football we've produced this season with a less mobile striker like one of them upfront? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, whs, although granted I've not seen too much of Huntelaar. David Villa would do well for us as well I think.

David Nugent, if we could get him for a cheeky bid under £5 million, would be a good bit of business I reckon.

Villa would be good as well yeah. Bent is not far from the identikit player for that role alongside Rooney in our system (great pace, strength, good in the air, good movement, reliable finisher), just a question of whether he can make the step up another level.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

Just realised that Neville has been struck down by the calendar curse, it's back icon_cool.gificon_frown.gif

Rather worryingly, it's Saha's turn in April. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>eh?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RedBlood:

Just realised that Neville has been struck down by the calendar curse, it's back icon_cool.gificon_frown.gif

Rather worryingly, it's Saha's turn in April. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>eh? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Me and Saha noticed that last year that whoever was on a particular month on the official calendar usually had a nightmare or got injured, and Neville has carried on the tradition.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

Just watching the Final Word on Skysport1, Andy Gray trying to say England can play Rooney up top by himself and Lennon, Gerrard and one other can do what our front 4 did yesterday against Bolton. icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

wp gray, forgot to mention england are ****ing **** and steve mac is a clueless moron.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

Just watching the Final Word on Skysport1, Andy Gray trying to say England can play Rooney up top by himself and Lennon, Gerrard and one other can do what our front 4 did yesterday against Bolton. icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

For that they need to get Lampard out of the team first.

Archived