The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

alright question Stretford Enders

just got myself a ticket up there for Roma \o/

just wondering, as I have limited memory of the details from the occasional times I've been up there, if Row 40 is as far back/up as I think it is (as in the final row?) icon_biggrin.gif

not that I mind either way, but nice to picture exactly where I'll be sat icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

yeh sadly i dont think louis will hit 20 goals, which means i'll owe a scouser 20 quid.

unless...how much collectively has he missed of the season? more than a month? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

2 at least.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coldberg:

If sitting in the ground for 90 minutes after fulltime means I don't get my face slashed then I am all for it.

Way to pretty to be scarred. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

tbf mate, that gives the Roma fans ample time to drink and then ambush us.....

Around 3,500 Middlesbrough fans travelled to Italy, many looking forward to the experience of visiting one of Europe’s leading tourist destinations as well as the match. Cleveland Constabulary spent a lot of time in the build-up to this game warning fans NOT to make their own way to the Stadio Olympico in Rome. They strongly recommended that fans used official club tours or ensure that they travelled with a reputable independent firm. Fans were told that they would need to congregate in a safe holding area called the Villa Borghese from where they would board official coaches laid on by the Rome authorities. The journey would only take 15 minutes from there to the ground. Fans would be transported back to the same place following the game. Amongst the usual warnings about what would not be allowed into the stadium, fans were told that loose coins were banned. It was estimated that fans would be held back for about 30 minutes after the game. Middlesbrough FC also stressed that Roma had some ‘problem’ fans and that the Middlesbrough supporters needed to be careful and not distract the Italian police from their duties.

• Boarded coach at hotel and taken to Villa Borghese holding area...a large park situated reasonably close to the centre and, allegedly, only a short ride to the stadium. This turned out to be a truly intimidating experience for many fans. The police presence was massive and appeared very strong handed. The majority of police were in riot gear. From the IFC officials coach, it was difficult to see any signage. Fans were being herded into various areas to wait for the buses to take them to the stadium. It was dark and, apart from the scattered standard street lighting, there appeared to be no additional lighting. There did not appear to be any additional facilities for fans such toilets or refreshment areas. Many passengers on the IFC coach were staggered by the number of fans who were being held under what was later described as ‘virtual martial law’ in sections of the media. Fans were relieving themselves against the wall. Some were walking past with bottles of beer,

presumably bought from a street trader or supermarket nearby.

• At approximately 7.00pm, the coaches from the organised tours set off in convoy. This was a truly amazing sight to see. At the front of the convoy were police vans, loaded with officers. Some were leaning out of the windows with batons. One had a police officer sitting on the roof as if in a turret. He was holding what appeared to be a large gun presumably for firing gas canisters or rubber bullets. It was like travelling through a war zone. One fan on the IFC coach commented that towels should be placed over our heads or that we should all duck down. It was a flippant remark, but you could understand his sentiments. A female fan said that it was enough to put her off going to a foreign away game ever again.

• Entry into the ground was straightforward with friendly searching by stewards, although it seemed rather odd for women to have lipstick confiscated. It should be emphasised here that IFC officials were some of the first to enter the stadium and that no queues had built up. The IFC has since learnt that many fans arrived late after being held inside coaches for over an hour at the Villa Borghese. The journey then took a further hour. Many fans had become distressed.

Around 3,500 Middlesbrough fans travelled to Italy, many looking forward to the experience of visiting one of Europe’s leading tourist destinations as well as the match. Cleveland Constabulary spent a lot of time in the build-up to this game warning fans NOT to make their own way to the Stadio Olympico in Rome. They strongly recommended that fans used official club tours or ensure that they travelled with a reputable independent firm. Fans were told that they would need to congregate in a safe holding area called the Villa Borghese from where they would board official coaches laid on by the Rome authorities. The journey would only take 15 minutes from there to the ground. Fans would be transported back to the same place following the game. Amongst the usual warnings about what would not be allowed into the stadium, fans were told that loose coins were banned. It was estimated that fans would be held back for about 30 minutes after the game. Middlesbrough FC also stressed that Roma had some ‘problem’ fans and that the Middlesbrough supporters needed to be careful and not distract the Italian police from their duties.

• Boarded coach at hotel and taken to Villa Borghese holding area...a large park situated reasonably close to the centre and, allegedly, only a short ride to the stadium. This turned out to be a truly intimidating experience for many fans. The police presence was massive and appeared very strong handed. The majority of police were in riot gear. From the IFC officials coach, it was difficult to see any signage. Fans were being herded into various areas to wait for the buses to take them to the stadium. It was dark and, apart from the scattered standard street lighting, there appeared to be no additional lighting. There did not appear to be any additional facilities for fans such toilets or refreshment areas. Many passengers on the IFC coach were staggered by the number of fans who were being held under what was later described as ‘virtual martial law’ in sections of the media. Fans were relieving themselves against the wall. Some were walking past with bottles of beer,

presumably bought from a street trader or supermarket nearby.

• At approximately 7.00pm, the coaches from the organised tours set off in convoy. This was a truly amazing sight to see. At the front of the convoy were police vans, loaded with officers. Some were leaning out of the windows with batons. One had a police officer sitting on the roof as if in a turret. He was holding what appeared to be a large gun presumably for firing gas canisters or rubber bullets. It was like travelling through a war zone. One fan on the IFC coach commented that towels should be placed over our heads or that we should all duck down. It was a flippant remark, but you could understand his sentiments. A female fan said that it was enough to put her off going to a foreign away game ever again.

• Entry into the ground was straightforward with friendly searching by stewards, although it seemed rather odd for women to have lipstick confiscated. It should be emphasised here that IFC officials were some of the first to enter the stadium and that no queues had built up. The IFC has since learnt that many fans arrived late after being held inside coaches for over an hour at the Villa Borghese. The journey then took a further hour. Many fans had become distressed.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

off to sam platts by OT in a minute for a comedy night in aid of the danny wallace foundation, should be good </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Question for when you get back, how was Vince Atta? Saw him at a FCUM do the other week and he was mint, always see him at the games too, seems a sound lad, was gonna go myself tonight but I'm skint icon_frown.gif

there was the same cautious approach when we played fenerbahce last time in istanbul and it ended up being one of the safest and nicest euro aways i've been on.

i've met a lad since who was also on it who didn't do the official travel to the ground (as i did), got there early and spoke to the coppers, asking if there was any bars that would be okay to go to... they said it would be fine to go in one across the road (probably equivalent to the bishops blaize) and they had a great time in there, no bother.

obviously it might be totally different in rome but i'd just take the same approach with any euro away, act sensible and you won't get into any trouble. prague that year was probably more dangerous than istanbul was.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> United target Huntelaar to keep the momentum going

Sir Alex Ferguson may have his hands full as Manchester United step up their pursuit of an unprecedented second treble, but the manager is already planning enthusiastically for next season.

Ajax are bracing themselves for a bid from United for Klaas-Jan Huntelaar, their prolific young striker, who Ferguson is understood to have identified as one of his main summer targets along with Owen Hargreaves, the Bayern Munich and England midfield player, and Nani, the Sporting Lisbon winger.

Huntelaar has established himself as the new golden boy of Dutch football since failing to make the grade at PSV Eindhoven and has already drawn favourable comparisons to Ruud van Nistelrooy, the former United striker.

While Ajax are loath to lose Huntelaar, the clamour for the 23-year-old forward’s signature is such that John Jaakke, the club’s chairman, is thought to be confident of being able to name his price for the player, who would cost at least double the £6.8 million Ajax paid SC Heerenveen for his services just over a year ago, and possibly much more.

Ferguson is believed to retain a serious interest in Fernando Torres, the highly rated Atlético Madrid and Spain forward, although he would come at a far higher premium than Huntelaar.

Torres recently signed a new deal with Atlético that ties him to the club until 2009, but while the escape clause in the 23-year-old’s contract was reduced from £41.4 million to about £27 million as part of the agreement, that price may still prove too prohibitive for United, who are expected to spend about half of their estimated £40 million transfer budget on Hargreaves.

Huntelaar cost Heerenveen just £70,000 when he joined the club in 2004 after turning down the offer of a new contract with PSV, where he struggled to make much of an impact.

In his first season at Heerenveen, Huntelaar scored 20 goals in 38 appearances and followed that up with 21 goals in as many games during the first half of the 2005-06 campaign before Ajax came calling. He finished the season with a staggering 45 goals in 46 matches and has looked equally impressive this term, scoring 28 times in all competitions.

Despite being in Marco van Basten’s preliminary Holland squad for last year’s World Cup finals, Huntelaar did not travel to Germany but he has impressed for the national team since, scoring twice in the 4-1 win over Ireland last August.

Ferguson has already sent scouts to watch Huntelaar, most recently in Ajax’s 4-1 win over FC Twente just under three weeks ago, when the striker scored a hat-trick.

The United manager has been encouraged by the apparent ability of Dutch players to adapt quickly to the demands of the Barclays Premiership, a quality that may make Huntelaar seem like less of a gamble than Torres, whose style is more suited to the Continent.

Of more immediate concern to United, however, is the Premiership game at home to Blackburn Rovers tomorrow, when victory would open up a nine-point gap at the top, if only for a couple of hours with Chelsea not playing until later in the day against Watford.

While United are still in contention to win the FA Cup and Champions League, Park Ji Sung, the midfield player, wants to help to ensure that the Premiership title returns to Old Trafford after a four-year absence.

“It is possible for us to get the results to succeed in all competitions,†the South Korean said. “But my No 1 target is the Premier League.â€

Park did the double of league and cup with PSV in the Netherlands and he believes the experience will hold him in good stead as United’s season enters its critical phase. “I have had a similar experience in the Netherlands,†he said.

“Even if we have bad results, we have to bounce back quickly and concentrate on the next game.â€

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Didnt Hargreaves have the best pass completion rate of anybody in the World Cup?

Thought I would post in here, read the thread for about 3 years and never psoted, always a time to start.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jad03:

Didnt Hargreaves have the best pass completion rate of anybody in the World Cup?

Thought I would post in here, read the thread for about 3 years and never psoted, always a time to start. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ooooo a newbie, okay a few questions.

1. Glazers, good or bad?

2. Sitting or standing?

3. Favourite United song?

that'll do for now icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jad03:

Thought I would post in here, read the thread for about 3 years and never psoted, always a time to start. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ooooo a newbie, okay a few questions.

1. Glazers, good or bad?

2. Sitting or standing?

3. Favourite United song?

that'll do for now icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

1. Urgh, when the first arrived I thought they were worse than what was on the bottom of my shoe. But, what they've done so far hasnt merited half of that hate. So slowly but surely Im warming. No anti glazerness coming from me! I would like to see Uncle Malcs face once in a while though.

2. Standing

What a friend we have in Jesus

He`s a saviour from afar

What a friend we have in Jesus

And his name is Cantona

Ooh Aah Cantona,

Ooh Aah Cantona

Ooh Aah, Ooh Aah, Ooh Aah

Cantona

Ooh Aah Cantona

Reason: first song that i can clearly remember singing to and knowing the words too at OT. Even if i was just a little youngster.

I now await my verdict.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">1. Urgh, when the first arrived I thought they were worse than what was on the bottom of my shoe. But, what they've done so far hasnt merited half of that hate. So slowly but surely Im warming. No anti glazerness coming from me! I would like to see Uncle Malcs face once in a while though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

go malcolm!

remind me, what is it that they 'have done so far'?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Reason: first song that i can clearly remember singing to and knowing the words too at OT. Even if i was just a little youngster. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

do you go to games now? executive member/season ticket holder/one united member?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Owen Hargreaves column

Who is the best player you have played with - and the best you have played against?

Playing against Zinedine Zidane was incredible. He was a step ahead of everyone else, he controlled exactly what happened on the pitch. He was absolute magician with the ball. He was really difficult to play against because it was so tempting to sit there and be mesmerised by him, admire his skill and completely forget you had to be getting stuck into him!

One of the best I have ever played with is Paul Scholes. He has such a sharp football brain and was also a great trainer and a great professional. I thought he was the best player in England training every day. He is such a clever player - he can pass, tackle, shoot, score tremendous goals. He was great to play with and also to watch. I certainly looked up to him when I first joined the England squad.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Owen Hargreaves column

Who is the best player you have played with - and the best you have played against?

Playing against Zinedine Zidane was incredible. He was a step ahead of everyone else, he controlled exactly what happened on the pitch. He was absolute magician with the ball. He was really difficult to play against because it was so tempting to sit there and be mesmerised by him, admire his skill and completely forget you had to be getting stuck into him!

One of the best I have ever played with is Paul Scholes. He has such a sharp football brain and was also a great trainer and a great professional. I thought he was the best player in England training every day. He is such a clever player - he can pass, tackle, shoot, score tremendous goals. He was great to play with and also to watch. I certainly looked up to him when I first joined the England squad.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hargreaves slightly blind?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Weststandred:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">he can pass, tackle, shoot, score tremendous goals. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

not sure about that one Hargreaves. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i literally hate you

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

I will do, in fact I'll stick it on top of the telly now </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cheers , itching to watch some spaced now icon_biggrin.gif.

Clubbing episode icon_cool.gif

Archived