The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As others have said, yesterday kinda had that air of inevitability about it but I don’t think that anyone is really giving Pompey their dues for setting themselves up to take advantage of our diminished physical capacity in the wake of the Roma game. They had one of those games whereby they were so revved up that chasing us down for 90 minutes was actually possible and in the end we didn’t have the legs. I’m not overly disappointed with the manner of the defeat in a team sense since it was VDS who made both errors (although Richardson played his part in the first obviously) and I think that with so many of the team that played in midweek as 10 men starting again yesterday and looking as though they felt the pace, they can’t be too harshly judged. Well some of them at least. We can also, not excuse the result because of it, but take into account that we did have at least two awful decisions by the assistant ref yesterday that impacted upon goal-scoring opportunities.

Anyway, as for individual performances:

VDS: Another weak punch and a questionable decision to come off his line cost us heavily obviously and unfortunately his few good saves can’t redeem him. Shake off the cobwebs please Edwin.

JOS: Did okay I thought, gave us a slight glimmer of hope with the goal, but allowed himself to be closed down far too many times by Taylor.

RF: Screwed over by VDS for the second and was unlucky not to get in front of Taylor for their first but he was played into trouble on that one as well. Understatedly solid yesterday.

WB: Apart from one mix-up that almost cost us in a collective VDS/Wes/JOS screw-up I thought Wes did very well yesterday especially as they seemed to be targeting him rather than Rio as a weak spot in our defence.

GH: Fine for the most part but not quite there mentally at the minute for me. As with the Roma game, although nowhere near as pronounced, his positioning let him down once or twice.

DF: Continued his comeback with an energetic and determined performance. Good to see because we’ll need more of that come Tuesday. Was effective when he was on the pitch and if it wasn’t for the dual fact that he’s needed on Wednesday and probably not 100% match fit he’d probably have stayed on.

MC: Snapped at a couple of shots on the edge of the box but did okay generally. His short game was as always fine but didn’t get any luck when trying to set chances up.

PS: Think he’s been unfairly targeted by a lot of users as being poor yesterday. From my perspective he was trying more than most to break down Pompey to make up for his red card in Europe and was always looking to keep us on the move forward.

KR: If it wasn’t for our threadbare squad and the amount of fixtures we have left I think yesterday would have sealed the deal and ensured that he never wears a United shirt in a competitive fixture ever again.

CR: Not in the game really yesterday. Looked like he ran 10k or whatever that stupid graphic on Wednesday night said but he wasn’t protected by the ref either. Need him to be back on it for Tuesday.

WR: Like has been said. Far too isolated to get involved, especially with Ronny occupying his preferred space from deep. Ran his heart out as per & showed a few nice touches when he did get on the ball. Generally pleased with his minimal performance.

Subs: Giggsy; fine initially then had a shocker after moving back to centre-mid. Smithy; showed a few nice touches after coming on. Ole; isolated and still looked tired from Wednesday but still gets the assist for JOS’s goal.

MOM: Paul Scholes

2ND: Wes Brown

Clearly this makes things tighter for us & in an effort to save the league campaign I’d probably accept a cracking 3-2 defeat on Tuesday to make sure that the Everton and Citeh games aren’t hampered by our European efforts, but I don’t think that it’s as cut and dried as we’re now going to implode/fall away. I think we’ve got enough in the tank for the league, Chelsea have a tough run in as well & if they beat Valencia then their run-in becomes a real pain in terms of effort since they’ll almost inevitably face the Scousers in the next round. We’re still in the lead and that counts for something. As long as we take 6 points from Sheffield United & Boro we’ll be in a really strong position.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ryno:

Crikey, that is some finish from Rossi. Great technique. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aye it was icon14.gif

From Taz and Nick's perspective, since from what I can tell they're the ones who have seen the most of him, is Rossi destined to play as a second striker or could he fit effectively into a central midfield playmaking role? Or does his lack of stature mean that will be difficult for him to flourish in that area of the pitch?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

Jules, you gonna come to the semi? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

not with out a ticket pal, fking stupidly skint at the moment like.

ive been on sanc begging but to no avail yet. i guess the 1,750 extra tickets we received was a wind up? or cos of the bank holiday nothing said yet?

yeah, what NLB said, constant swearing was probably not a good idea.

Good job we haven't got the Scousers in the next few months (baring the CL final) or we could have seen a red.

tbh Mart, you have to watch yourself, you're like Wazza or Scholesy getting a yellow card in the 1st minute. We know the second is a possibility.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by qwerty2k:

Just saw a pic of BBB in singles thread, is it me or does he look like Wicom? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wicks never had a shopping buddy.

:****************************************)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

dude you're on ignore, sorry icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well i blatantly can't say anything about the football, cos you'll just post the league table and i'll be pwned.

Plus i know you're still checking my posts out Mart, it gets addictive clicking the show post button. icon_cool.gif

did you get in then? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>only in the second half

I tried to get in at the start and enlisted the help of this proper fat guy who said i could push him as he went through but he was to fat for me and him icon_frown.gif

So i was stood there and the guy said look if you don't have a ticket off you go, i said no no i do have a ticket he goes why did you try to push in then icon_frown.gif

Was good day though some great singing in the pub before the game and i got to see two goals when i got in

The result icon_frown.gif well it was what we all feared would happen

never jibbed before, terrified I'd get caught icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>ye i got a little nervous as i neared the turnstyle as the dibble were everywhere

I will definitely try it again though

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Mourinho said: "United are very lucky they don't have to play here next week. Can you imagine them here next weekend?

"That's the game where they will slip up, against us, so they're very lucky." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Mourinho said: "United are very lucky they don't have to play here next week. Can you imagine them here next weekend?

"That's the game where they will slip up, against us, so they're very lucky." </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He is right though. If we had to play Chelsea next weekend i think they would have slaughtered us.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RedBlood:

I tried to get in at the start and enlisted the help of this proper fat guy who said i could push him as he went through but he was to fat for me and him icon_frown.gif

So i was stood there and the guy said look if you don't have a ticket off you go, i said no no i do have a ticket he goes why did you try to push in then icon_frown.gif

Was good day though some great singing in the pub before the game and i got to see two goals when i got in

The result icon_frown.gif well it was what we all feared would happen </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Was there not people checking tickets before you even get to the turnstile ? Know that happens at a lot of grounds.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SLO_Fila:

"That's the game where they will slip up, against us, so they're very lucky." </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He is right though. If we had to play Chelsea next weekend i think they would have slaughtered us. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yup, without a doubt. even when they eventually play us they'll win

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by merry_miller:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RedBlood:

The result icon_frown.gif well it was what we all feared would happen </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Was there not people checking tickets before you even get to the turnstile ? Know that happens at a lot of grounds. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>No i was suprised about this

If you get to that situation again then might be worth offering turnstile bloke a sly tenner if your attempt at jibbing doesn't work and there's none of the ob in view - he's got nowt to lose by letting you push through after all his clicks would still add up and he's got all ticket stubs from people.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by merry_miller:

If you get to that situation again then might be worth offering turnstile bloke a sly tenner if your attempt at jibbing doesn't work and there's none of the ob in view - he's got nowt to lose by letting you push through after all his clicks would still add up and he's got all ticket stubs from people. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I was going to do this yesterday but he didn't like me because of the pushing looked a moody ****

I got in eventually so it was no bother

Pompy is a right **** hole

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Portsmouth being in the Premiership actually hurts more than the loss. Horrific little club.

Was there not people checking tickets before you even get to the turnstile ? Know that happens at a lot of grounds. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No i was suprised about this </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now I've never had anybody check my ticket before getting to the turnstile. Anywhere.

Not even Roma ! icon_confused.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rcjuk:

wp bbb mate, banned icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whs.

You mustn't rise to the bait, mate. icon_wink.gif

Or stop swearing at 'em at least.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Razor Eddie:

Was there not people checking tickets before you even get to the turnstile ? Know that happens at a lot of grounds. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now I've never had anybody check my ticket before getting to the turnstile. Anywhere.

Not even Roma ! icon_confused.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Really? I've had it done at OT. A few years ago now, mind.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Razor Eddie:

Really? I've had it done at OT. A few years ago now, mind. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, really. (Why would I bother posting such a thing if it weren't true ? icon_frown.gificon_frown.gificon_frown.gif)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SirZ:

You've lost the title icon_frown.gif

Dont let Chelsea win the Quad ffs icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We haven't.

They won't.

just a quick question for you man utd folk.

i got my ticket for the semi final there the other day from blackburn. now i went to the section on the man u website which gives you a seating plan, and what view you have.

i am say in the East Stand, Tier 1, Upper

anyway im in block E233, but yet the seating plan on the website doesnt have that block, closest to this they do have, is block E333

so can anyone tell me, is this a misprint?

some other rovers fans from the rovers forums have the same area as me.

cheers, and hopefully we can do a few chelsea players in as well for ya, maybe break fat franks legs, or drogbas icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

Really? I've had it done at OT. A few years ago now, mind. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, really. (Why would I bother posting such a thing if it weren't true ? icon_frown.gificon_frown.gificon_frown.gif) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif That was "really?" as in surprise, not that i didn't believe you.

Archived