The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really hope we’ve left the spectre of recent lacklustre European performances in the past and take them on in the first leg with the intention of killing it there. The Milan players are well conditioned regardless of how old some of them are but playing a strong pressing game against them will make them uncomfortable so long as we’re not wasteful in possession.

They have experience and savvy among the majority of their players which is a big plus point for them, but with Ronaldo cup-tied and Inzaghi/Gilardino/Oliveira all having hit and miss seasons so far Milan’s striker situation is only marginally better than Roma’s and if we can endeavour to subdue Pirlo and Kaka, the latter in particular, then I think we can find out way through their defence.

Good news on our Ronaldo signing a new contract. Should prevent the rumour mill from pursuing this over the summer (although that may be a tad naïve and optimistic on my part) especially with a lack of high profile international football to keep player performances at the forefront of everyone’s mind and the media from stirring things up. Of course what it does do, working on the premise that United stories sell papers, is put the potential “Hargreaves Saga†front and centre again for us, but then maybe Liverpool’s new money and internal power struggles at Chelsea will dominate the back pages. Ideally we’ll get through the summer with very little buzz surrounding who we’re signing until they have signed on the dotted line.

Incidentally, have any of our pre-season plans been announced as yet? Can’t remember if I’ve missed any news on it.

Also, are all our remaining games going to be televised? Was just looking at the fixture list and the k.o. times and I can’t see one that I wouldn’t put on the TV except perhaps the Everton game on the 28th at 1245pm, and even then I don’t really get why that one would be moved to that time of day unless it was going to be broadcast since I can recall any issues with the Goodison Park fixtures recently that would require a lunchtime start. Regardless of that what it does do of course is help us out as far as extra recovery time for the second leg at the San Siro goes which will hopefully be a positive. Actually looking at it again the Boro fixture a week on Saturday comes under that category as well since it’s a 515pm k.o. What’s the point unless they’re putting it on Prem Plus or SS1?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Young Jimlad:

Also, are all our remaining games going to be televised? Was just looking at the fixture list and the k.o. times and I can’t see one that I wouldn’t put on the TV except perhaps the Everton game on the 28th at 1245pm, and even then I don’t really get why that one would be moved to that time of day unless it was going to be broadcast since I can recall any issues with the Goodison Park fixtures recently that would require a lunchtime start. Regardless of that what it does do of course is help us out as far as extra recovery time for the second leg at the San Siro goes which will hopefully be a positive. Actually looking at it again the Boro fixture a week on Saturday comes under that category as well since it’s a 515pm k.o. What’s the point unless they’re putting it on Prem Plus or SS1? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

All except West Ham are set for TV iirc. But if there is still something riding on the last game that will be televised.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RedBlood:

The last game will be televised

They often show a game on every channel they have on the last day </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They do and because its against West Ham we have twice the chance of it being shown because Sky could well just concentrate on the relegation battle if the title is done and dusted.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Incidentally, have any of our pre-season plans been announced as yet? Can’t remember if I’ve missed any news on it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

only the tour of Asia is confirmed at the moment i think. not even been many rumours apart from the expected game vs Glentoran in Belfast.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Evra demands Cup focus

Patrice Evra is urging his team-mates to stay fully focused on Saturday's FA Cup semi-final against Watford and not get carried away by their 7-1 thrashing of Roma.

The Reds romped to victory in Tuesday's Champions League quarter-final second leg at Old Trafford with a virtuoso performance.

United are strong favourites to beat the Hornets in Saturday tea-time's Cup semi at Villa Park, but Evra, who bagged the team's seventh goal against the Italians, insists the Reds still have a tough task in front of them.

"We have a lot of confidence but now is a dangerous moment because everybody is saying 'Man United will win the Champions League and the FA Cup because they have beaten Roma 7-1', so we have to be careful," he told MUTV.

"Roma is finished. Okay, we scored seven goals and it was beautiful, but we have to think about Watford now because it is a difficult game. The FA Cup is very important for us and everybody's focus is the semi-final."

A win for United on Saturday would book them a place against either Chelsea or Blackburn Rovers in the first Cup final to be held at the new Wembley. Evra insists he would relish the opportunity to step out at England'snew national stadium

"It would be very exciting," he adds. "I have won the League Cup already but the FA Cup is more special, every team in England plays in it and wants to win it. It is very, very important to me."

With United still going strong in three competitions - the Premiership, the Champions League and the FA Cup - talk of another Treble has been mooted. Though a little cautious to discuss it, Evra claims a triple triumph could spark a decade-long vacation!

"You need to win something at a club like this but if we win the Treble? Wow! If we do that I will go on holiday - maybe for ten years!" he joked.

"I have spoken to Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and Ryan Giggs, who have done it before, and they say this team is very strong, young, quick and has big character.

"I hope everybody is concentrating and wants to work hard to finish the season. We have three trophies to win and to do that would be unbelievable. But you never know in football." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

paddy so awesome

Well who wouldn't be happy if we can repeat the treble? icon_biggrin.gif

i will be more than happy if we can lay our hands on the Premiership title once again. That will depend on the effort and hunger our players put in for the remaining games of course.We need 5 wins out of 6 to secure the title.

If things didn't go on so well and we can't win all 3 trophies, i still hope we can at least bring back the premiership title. Well although we couldn't bring the rest of the trophies , i will still take pride in the scintillating football they displayed for the most part of this season.

Well who wouldn't be happy if we can repeat the treble? icon_biggrin.gif

i will be more than happy if we can lay our hands on the Premiership title once again. That will depend on the effort and hunger our players put in for the remaining games of course.We need 5 wins out of 6 to secure the title.

If things didn't go on so well and we can't win all 3 trophies, i still hope we can at least bring back the premiership title. Well although we couldn't bring the rest of the trophies , i will still take pride in the scintillating football they displayed for the most part of this season.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">"Before every training session I tell Ronaldo that if he nutmegs me, I'll break his leg and rip his shirt to pieces. I don't want to have him taking the mickey out of me throughout the week. The tricks he pulls off are just too good. Once you've seen him do them, you don't want to take him on any more." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

paddy again. i think he's actually a bit mental icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">"Before every training session I tell Ronaldo that if he nutmegs me, I'll break his leg and rip his shirt to pieces. I don't want to have him taking the mickey out of me throughout the week. The tricks he pulls off are just too good. Once you've seen him do them, you don't want to take him on any more." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

paddy again. i think he's actually a bit mental icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I didn't like him at start but all this quotes from him are so awesome he is actually winning me over icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

paddy again. i think he's actually a bit mental icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

he has a screw loose for sure but he is a great character. such an impressive grasp of english already as well, well in paddy sire.

Paddy is just an utter king.

What's the go with loaning to clubs outside the transfer window? Can you do that?

I wouldn't be against loaning Ronaldo to Milan if we get knocked out and Liverpool get into the final.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

Paddy is just an utter king.

What's the go with loaning to clubs outside the transfer window? Can you do that?

I wouldn't be against loaning Ronaldo to Milan if we get knocked out and Liverpool get into the final. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Errm, does being cup-tied mean anything to you?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

Jesus Christ. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Took that a bit serious there didn't I?

Sorry, just had to write a very formal email and I left my very serious head on...

Jesus Christ. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif I heard the "WHOOSH" over Jimlad's head from the suicide thread

Just watching a Ronaldo interview on MUTV.

Says he couldnt be happier here. Everything is great with the staff and the players and all his friends are here.

He wants to win trophies and he thinks he can do that here. This is the right club for him and wants to continue learning here.

Keepers with the best games to clean sheets ratio in prem history.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

Player Clean sheets Games Percentage

Peter Schmeichel 129 310 42

David Seaman 141 344 41

Nigel Martyn 137 372 37

Mark Bosnich 77 206 37

Tim Flowers 85 286 33

Thomas Sorensen 79 258 31

David James 141 470 30

Shay Given 84 312 29

Mark Schwarzer 84 291 29

Ian Walker 77 310 25

</pre>

• Administrators

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

David Seaman 141 344 41

Nigel Martyn 137 372 37

Mark Bosnich 77 206 37

Tim Flowers 85 286 33

David James 141 470 30

Shay Given 84 312 29

Mark Schwarzer 84 291 29

Ian Walker 77 310 25

</pre> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

is there a minimum games played qualifier for that? Cech should be on that list quite comfortably if just going by %age.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Juni:

is there a minimum games played qualifier for that? Cech should be on that list quite comfortably if just going by %age. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Got it from the Martin Tyler article on Skyspots.com.

He doesnt say there are any minimum game requirements but i would imagine by looking at that list there is one.

not yet dude

right, i raised this before i got the researchers gig, i'm gonna tap you lot up for your views now i have - our rivals in fm, how would you guys have it? as it stands (without me touching it) it's like this:

liverpool 21

city 20

leeds 19

arsenal 18

chelsea 17

blackburn 14

west ham 13

newcastle 12

bolton 10

and i think that's pretty dire. i've rejigged it very roughly and provisionally have:

liverpool 21

city 20

leeds 19

arsenal 15

chelsea 10

bolton 10

everton 10

blackburn 8

with west ham and newcastle ditched altogether. any suggestions for amendments to that?

I'd reduce Leeds a tiny notch, especially if they're in League One next season. Maybe even reduce City - theirs should certainly by higher than ours.

Is there really that much of a difference between Chelsea and Arsenal? Depending on what happens at the end of this season, that may have to be changed a fair bit.

I'd reduce Everton slightly.

Can you add Celtic?

can do yeah, good plan.

the arsenal-chelsea difference, looking at it's maybe a bit too wide a gap considering how arsenal have fallen away the last year or two. might take them down a notch or two.

i'm happy with city/leeds as is, in a practical sense in the game having a high rating reflects how unlikely it is a united-supporting player will go to one of those clubs or how likely it is that we sell to them and while they're hardly rivals in any competitive sense atm, i'd still like to think any united-supporting player would join anyone but those two.

not yet dude

right, i raised this before i got the researchers gig, i'm gonna tap you lot up for your views now i have - our rivals in fm, how would you guys have it? as it stands (without me touching it) it's like this:

liverpool 21

city 20

leeds 19

arsenal 18

chelsea 17

blackburn 14

west ham 13

newcastle 12

bolton 10

and i think that's pretty dire. i've rejigged it very roughly and provisionally have:

liverpool 21

city 20

leeds 19

arsenal 15

chelsea 10

bolton 10

everton 10

blackburn 8

with west ham and newcastle ditched altogether. any suggestions for amendments to that? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with your provisional "pole".

Because for me all those years of Arsenal being utter ***** will not fade away and Chelsea, no matter how smug they will become, i just can't take them seriously.

At least until they do something utterly dreadful to our club/the fans.

Though i would still keep in West Ham at around 8.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Incidentally, have any of our pre-season plans been announced as yet? Can’t remember if I’ve missed any news on it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

only the tour of Asia is confirmed at the moment i think. not even been many rumours apart from the expected game vs Glentoran in Belfast. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We play Peterborough on August 4th too I think

I'd knock Leeds down a bit, I really couldn't give a **** about them, but maybe that's just me, Liverpool and City are surely much much rivals than them? Maybe just take them down to 18.

Everton I wouldn't see as rivals at all, at least knock them down to level with Blackburn.

I think that provisional list is a fair appraisal of the situation. Keeps regional rivalries in the mix but not oversold in terms of importance and the key 3 way out in front. Good shout dropping West Ham and Newcastle, at the minute they don't generate enough heat to be considered core rivals.

I personally wouldn't be inclined to drop Arsenal to close too Chelsea because while they've dropped away marginally in the last two seasons domestically, they're still a force & I would imagine that if they'd had Henry & van Persie fit and on form for longer stretches this season they'd be closer to Liverpool and they've still screwed us over a few times in the last few years.

As for Chelsea I think 10(-12 max) is about right as well. Takes into account the fact that Chelsea have been a top-6 team for a while really and that even without Roman/Jose they've been a "problematic" team for us at times without overselling the fact that they are currently right up there. If they weren't contenders they'd be around the 10 level for sure but no higher really.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

See, I don't give a toss about City, probably with not being local I guess. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't really care about Liverpool tbh, but still recognise the rivalry, I don't see that much towards Leeds, certainly not from our side. I know some people hate them, but 19 is too high for me. Somewhere from 16-18 I reckon.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Juni:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

David Seaman 141 344 41

Nigel Martyn 137 372 37

Mark Bosnich 77 206 37

Tim Flowers 85 286 33

David James 141 470 30

Shay Given 84 312 29

Mark Schwarzer 84 291 29

Ian Walker 77 310 25

</pre> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

is there a minimum games played qualifier for that? Cech should be on that list quite comfortably if just going by %age. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Reina's kept 36 clean sheets in 64 prem games. 56.25%

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cristiano Ronaldooooooooo:

Just been looking at flights for Milan can go on the Sunday and come back on the Weds hotel and flights comes to £140. Now to get a ticket through the ballot....... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can have mine if we get them dude

Archived