The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Daaaaave:

our 3rd european cup final since 99, is it not? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ignoring the fact it's your second, if we win the league this season it'll be our ninth since '90, will it not? oh well, you're a decent cup side, can always rest your hat on that. :****)

Tl; dr; etc.

MOTM: Fletcher. Thought he was 100% committed, if not 100% successful

2nd: Scholes

AFFG1: Fletcher, unfortunately. Gets sucked in by Seedorf's run when he should've watched Kaka

AFFG2: Gabi. Slips Vida a hospital pass and then fails to close down Pirlo

AFFG3: Wesley. He's a million bloody miles out of position, and if he's expecting Gabi to retain enough positional sense to cover across when Vida goes with Kaka then he's got another thing coming.

VDS: Did alright, but looks so bloody old. Can practically hear his knees creaking as he 'dives' (read: falls) for the second. Big Ben next season please.

O'Shea: Thought he did as well as anyone could expect. Got sucked out of position too much and failed to connect with most of his hopeful long balls, but nothing too calamitous. Same old really.

Wesley: As with O'Shea, just a typical shift. Adequate and sub-par in equal measure. Should never be allowed to pass ever again.

Vida: Thought he looked alright. Don't think his fitness was such a big question, as Kaka's pace would cause him the problems it did tonight regardless.

Gabi: Positional SatNav on the blink again, suicidal for the 2nd

Fletch: Committed, hardworking, if unspectacular.

Carrick: Tidy but uninterested.

Scholes: Asleep for the first 45-60 minutes, before deciding to turn up. Nothing really came off either way.

Giggs: Dire. Don't think we should get rid, but he should be used as an impact player and should prolly never start a game again. In short measures could be lethal though.

Gladys: Rolled back the years to come up with zero end product. Not for the lack of trying mind, but a really off night.

Rooney: Isolated and frustrated. Absent for most.

Fergie: Should've put Smudger on, earlier than Saha went on, and not for our primary goal threat (Sheasy). Would've preferred Rio rather than Vida too if it was simply a case of one or t'other. Wesley's twice the player with him alongside him, and his pace would've been more of an asset than Vida's SMASHability IMO.

Ref: Can gtf. Atrocious. Gave us nowt throughout, and blew up early into to the shockingly brief stoppage time (how Gattuso and Kaka both being treated for 2 mins, plus time wasting over virtually every set peice, plus mandatory 30 secs for each of the four subs and the goal = 3 mins (2:30 played) is beyond me), but can't lay any fault at his door for us simply not turning up.

Still, at least I won't have a heart attack on the 23rd.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Daaaaave:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

Right up with your 'HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA' posts for insight there dave, wp. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

insight? takes a psychoanalyst to see you twisted and bitter and lashing onto your hatred of another team as your only solace in the world.

our 3rd european cup final since 99, is it not? oh well, you're a pretty good domestic side. can always rest your hat on that. :*)

or, in words you can more easily understand: **** **** **** cheating **** scousers icon_mad.gif **** omg **** **** bbb I hate fergie **** barbra streisand **** </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Solace? Nah, I take solace from the fact that we're 5 points clear in the league with 3 games to go, and it feels absolutely terrific - I don't expect you to comprehend it, don't worry. I'll feel fine 'resting my hat' on the 8 (hopefully 9) league titles we've won in the last 15 years. And for all your gloating, the fact remains that (a) you've won nothing and (b) I reckon you'd gladly swap positions with us in a heartbeat.

Or I don't know, maybe you wouldn't. Would be indicative of a lack of understanding of the English game though. Not that I'm crediting you with that much, mind.

I've seen Mascherano probably 30 or 40 times over the last four years. Mainly internationally and I discount all his West Ham appearances. Carrick's a better reader of the game, but not tested at the very highest level. Carrick's a better passer over distance and under pressure, but he can be bullied out of the game quiet easily. Mascherano's far better in the tackle and can do a beefy man-marking job. But he's clumsy at times and gives away stupid free-kicks. this is what they said he'd eliminate from his game after he burst onto the scene, but it hasn't happened.

As I said, Carrick's the equal of Mascherano as a defensive player. But they are suited to different jobs. If you asked me to pick one to play in a midfield two I'd pick Mascherano. If you asked me to pick one to play at the base of a midfield three, I'd have Carrick by a distance.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

ignoring the fact it's your second, if we win the league this season it'll be our ninth since '90, will it not? oh well, you're a decent cup side, can always rest your hat on that. :****) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think he's counting the UEFA Cup.

I know.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Ummm no. Infact is Carrick even a defensive midfielder. If you asked him I doubt he'd see it that way anyway. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

maybe not, but the thing he does best and most consistently is intercept opposition passes when he's able to play deep enough. He's massively over-rated as a mid-to-long-range playmaker, but for cutting out passes and getting momentum going with good defender-bypassing passes of his own he's not far off Makalele. The deeper he played for Spurs the more solid we looked last season, a season whose slightly undeserved success was almost entirely defensive. Even with rubbish like Jenas doing the pressing part of the midfield game, Carrck ate scraps like a machine.

He might not think it himself, but from everything I've ever seen of Carrick, his best chance of moving from good to genuinely world class would come if he could sit in Makelele's role in a midfield like Chelsea's. Even Spurs played him too far forward, or relied too much on him for attacking input. Can you honestly name a Premiership player who reads the game better in a deep-lying midfield role? If he could shed his reputation as a playmaker, he could focus on what he's really good at, and probably take an unglamourous 90% wage cut into the bargain.

Btw, i checked the games Milan played before the game at OT and the one this weekend.

Milan vs. Cagliari:

No Nesta

No Kaka

No Inzaghi or Gilardinho (not that the latter is that good anyway)

Ambrosini and Pirlo only play 35min

Seedor and Gattuso only played 65min

No Maldini (who was not injured at that time)

No Oddo

Milan vs. Torino

No Oddo

No Inzaghi (who was bound to play against Man Utd)

No Kaka

Seedorf plays for 65min

Jankulovski plays for 30min

No Maldini (injured)

No Khaladze (suspended)

No Gattuso (injured but at the same time also getting a rest for the United game since he was obviously fit for the game)

Ambrosini plays for 45min

icon_biggrin.gif Hell yeah!

And indeed, it is what makes the 1999 all the more impressive.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rcjuk:

our performance? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unfortunately it bewcame too clear very early that your boys weren't getting anything tonight. Just sat and admired Kaka and Seedorf.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ratinho:

And go out with some dignity eh SLO? Most others seem to be managing it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What? In the end we sucked donkey balls and i am quite pleased we made it this far since i never thought we were gonna go past Lille anyway.

there's a quite cringey article by some chelsea supporting hack that's floating around the scouse thread. does have a bit of a ring of truth to it in as much as it really is so much easier for teams stuck in the 'not in the title race, comfortably in the CL places' no mans land to progress in the competition - think in us and chelsea you've seen two teams this midweek who are almost punched out, not necessarily in terms of looking incredibly tired but mentally as much as anything.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ratinho:

And go out with some dignity eh SLO? Most others seem to be managing it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And whether you like it or not it is a reason why they overall played so much better than us because they had the luxury of resting. It is not the main reason but it is certainly an advantage.

Why did Milan always looked knackered around the 60 mark and not now.

And besides, the main reason we lost was because of our injuries in defence. If we had a fully fit back 4 like the rest of the season our chance would have been much better.

This way with the improvised defence it was rather impossible to manage to fight in 3 competitions.

Barca last year, Milan the year before, Porto the year before that, Juve in 03, both Real Madrid and Leverkusen in 2002.

All teams going for the title in their divisions that made the final. On the flip side ofc, the side that I haven't mentioned in those years were teams who had litle to play for towards the end of the campaign, so I guess it works both ways.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by nistelrooy_uk_10:

the amount of times they mentioned "the spirit of '99" on sky tonight just made me cringe to the bone. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, that was 8 years ago, ffs.

Different team, different time.

Have to say, I'm a bit calmed down now and if I'm being honest, it was coming. Decimated by injuries(in both legs!) league commitments and the simple fact that Milan are a good side.

If you'd asked me at the start of the season whether an Fa cup final, a strong position to win the league, and a European cup semifinal exit would be where we are in May, I'd be saying its impossible.

We've been brilliant this season. With a bit of luck, which we had a whole slice of in 99, we'd be celebrating a treble. A certain Roy Keane in midfield might've been enough too, mind. icon_wink.gif

As it is, a first league title in 4 years, against a club who's raised the bar in winning league in Chelsea, would be nice.

United in '99 tbh. As tight a title race as you could get, that FA cup final and one of teh hardest CL runs i've seen. You only feel tired when you're in poor form or losing. And sometimes the opposition are just better.

Yes but ultimately the only teams to win the CL and the league was Barca and Porto.

However Porto had the title assured with around 5-6 games before the end so that argument drops.

Real Madrid never did it. They either won the league or the CL but not both in the same year.

hah immediately refusing to do what I suggested. wp sire. icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

?

United in '99 tbh. As tight a title race as you could get, that FA cup final and one of teh hardest CL runs i've seen. You only feel tired when you're in poor form or losing. And sometimes the opposition are just better. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I presume you mean the FA cup semi, rarely anything memorable about beating Newcastle.

treble was never going to happen. think people were far too quick, inevitably i suppose, to start talking about it, but all that talk overlooked just what an incredible, unique achievement that was and how unlikely it was to be repeated again by a squad that was clearly weaker.

Yeah, not suggesting that was on the cards. Just addressing the issue of turning up in the lague and in the cups over a season. Can and has been done.

I still think Chelsea are running out of juice because there team deprived of Ballack and Robben has very little clue about creatihng anything. Can't level that at your shower, so i'm left to ponder.

The defensive injuries can't be ignored ofc.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

ignoring the fact it's your second, if we win the league this season it'll be our ninth since '90, will it not? oh well, you're a decent cup side, can always rest your hat on that. :****) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was counting the waffa amigo :*)

I don't mind being a decent cup side right now. best days are in front of me. bet you wish you could say the same.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Francis Cole:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">barbra streisand </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

wtf icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

it's called south park franny, look into it

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

Right up with your 'HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA' posts for insight there dave, wp. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

insight? takes a psychoanalyst to see you twisted and bitter and lashing onto your hatred of another team as your only solace in the world.

our 3rd european cup final since 99, is it not? oh well, you're a pretty good domestic side. can always rest your hat on that. :*)

or, in words you can more easily understand: **** **** **** cheating **** scousers icon_mad.gif **** omg **** **** bbb I hate fergie **** barbra streisand **** </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Solace? Nah, I take solace from the fact that we're 5 points clear in the league with 3 games to go, and it feels absolutely terrific - I don't expect you to comprehend it, don't worry. I'll feel fine 'resting my hat' on the 8 (hopefully 9) league titles we've won in the last 15 years. And for all your gloating, the fact remains that (a) you've won nothing and (b) I reckon you'd gladly swap positions with us in a heartbeat.

Or I don't know, maybe you wouldn't. Would be indicative of a lack of understanding of the English game though. Not that I'm crediting you with that much, mind. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

won nothing icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I was counting the waffa amigo :*)

I don't mind being a decent cup side right now. best days are in front of me. bet you wish you could say the same. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh yeah...the whole "this season's our year to win the league" thing, which has been going on since the days of...say...Roy Evans?

I don't mind being a decent cup side right now. best days are in front of me. bet you wish you could say the same. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

fancy i could say it with more convinction. trip to wembley and a potential league title - great days immediately in front of me gracias

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SLO_Fila:

Yes but ultimately the only teams to win the CL and the league was Barca and Porto.

However Porto had the title assured with around 5-6 games before the end so that argument drops.

Real Madrid never did it. They either won the league or the CL but not both in the same year. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

could ****ing swear i just did this convo.

i need sleep.

Somehow the Liverpool fans ignore the fact that the League was our main priority from the beginning. (well for the fans anyway, i am sure Fergie wanted CL over league)

Tbf the only reason most of us wanted to qualify today was to beat you in the final. If it was anybody else except Liverpool in the final we wouldn't have cared in the slightest bit and winning it would have been the most welcome bonus possible.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SLO_Fila:

Real Madrid never did it. They either won the league or the CL but not both in the same year. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

could ****ing swear i just did this convo.

i need sleep. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think u did on the other thread probably icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Firlâ„¢:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I was counting the waffa amigo :*)

Oh yeah...the whole "this season's our year to win the league" thing, which has been going on since the days of...say...Roy Evans? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And let's not forget last season, or was it two seasons ago when the Pool fans were all with hands up in the air that they will finish the league above us icon_biggrin.gif

Because omg they reduced the point deficit (from season to season) from 20p to 10p so it's natural next season they will outplace us icon14.gif

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ter:

I like Milan but hope you lot get through tonight as Milan won't beat Liverpool in the final and you lot will.

MON MAN UTD </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

FFS

You idiots. What have you done!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Firlâ„¢:

Oh yeah...the whole "this season's our year to win the league" thing, which has been going on since the days of...say...Roy Evans? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And let's not forget last season, or was it two seasons ago when the Pool fans were all with hands up in the air that they will finish the league above us icon_biggrin.gif

Because omg they reduced the point deficit (from season to season) from 20p to 10p so it's natural next season they will outplace us icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

haha yeah course, utterly ambivelent to losing a CL final.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Father Senegal:

oh and I've quoted the wrong post as well icon_biggrin.gif

wp me.

Anyway, you're talking ******** slo fila </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In which post. Cuz the pool fans were getting all giddy of a place above United a while back.

Terribly disappointed as I was pretty confident before the game.

Depressing that United were totally outclassed. Only Scholes was anywhere near his best. Milan the best side we've played this season.

On a more positive note, if we can see off Chelsea in the league it will have been a superb season, whatever happens in the FA Cup, and totally beyond my expectations.

Anyone else thinks it stinks a little bit knowing that at the start of this season Milan weren't even in the European Cup?

So would just like to say a big thank you to the soft twats at UEFA or whoever it was that decided to let them back in. icon14.gif

Although they better win it this year. Can't take another 2 years of Liverpool fans saying how much better they are than everyone else when they're clearly not.

• Administrators

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LibLibertibe

Anyone else thinks it stinks a little bit knowing that at the start of this season Milan weren't even in the European Cup </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tbh I agree with that. I know it might just be a typical 'bitterness' quote from Man Utd fans, but in all honesty it was a joke when Milan were let in at the start of the season.

They obviously have since earnt the right to be in the final and in all fairness totally outclassed Man Utd even with the mighty Pippo up front. Fair play to them, but a bit of a soft one from UEFA (no surprise there then)

Archived