The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

yeah thats my main gripe. alright Chelsea had injury problems during the season.. but we had a pretty devastating culmination of defensive cripples at the most important stage of the season, yet came through it.

meh

important thing is we know how great we've been icon_cool.gif

9 out of 15 with at least 3 completely different sides. wp Fergie.

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

didnt Giggs miss a month at one point? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yep, got injured against Celtic and was out for a month.

let's see:

VDS - missed a handful of games with calf strain, illness and broken nose

Nev - has missed the last two months of the run-in with a twisted ankle plus a few games over the christmas period, and was in and out of the team at the start of the season

Evra - has had regular injury problems at the back end of the season

Gaby - missing at the start of the season, missed another few weeks with a twisted ankle

Rio - missed a fair few games lately with his groin injury

Wes - bizarrely one of the few to have been pretty much unscathed

Ronnie - couple of knocks but not too bad

Rooney - ditto

Saha - basically missing since christmas bar the odd cameo

Giggs - missed a month early on

Park - missed 6 weeks early on and then the last 6 weeks of the season

Smudge - only recently properly returned from his big injury

Vida - missed the whole of April

Carrick - injured at the start of the season

Scholesy - injury-free thank god. ridiculous early season suspension though (ditto Rooney)

Ole - missed a month with a hamstring strain

JOS - missed a couple of weeks with a calf strain

Fletch - missed six weeks or so with ankle ligament damage

Mickey - metatarsal injury early on, out since late feb now as well

hardly the cleanest bill of health. and you can go on about Cech missing however long and VDS not, but let's turn that around and say had their leading centre-forward missed as many games as Saha has, would they have even kept the title race going anywhere near this long?

Very sad i know...

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

First 11 Appearences in the Prem (Starts and Sub combined)

Cech 18 | Van Der Sar 30

|

Ferreira 21 | Neville 24

Terry 25 | Ferdinand 32

Carvalho 31 | Vidic 24

Cole 23 | Evra 23

|

Essien 31 | Ronaldo 32

Makelele 28 | Carrick 30

Lampard 35 | Scholes 28

Ballack 26 | Giggs 28

|

Drogba 35 | Saha 24

Schevchenko 30 | Rooney 32

|

Total 303 | Total 307

</pre>

First XIs might be slightly off but you get the point. Also note that Robben made 21 appearences so off the top of my head thats just J.Cole missing for most of the season.

Also i know this doesnt say when the players were injured so how many were out at one time etc but still.

• Administrators

the main argument with the injuries I'd put up is that whilst Cech was injured, so was Carlo. If you'd have lost VDS and Koosh at the same point what would've happened? I presume Howard and Foster weren't allowed to be called back, so would you have been Champions with Heaton in goal for however long we had Hilário?

Otherwise not a problem at all, I know how bad you had it because we did too.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

haha, that's me screaming blow the whistle icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

thought so. icon_biggrin.gif Its when the same voice name drops Nick and asks for a f**kin picture

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

haha, that video is awesome icon_biggrin.gif

such an accurate representation of how mental the place was. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

got goosebumps watching it again icon_biggrin.gif

wonder if we were on portugese tv? icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

CHAMPIONS </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sitting, waiting to press the button. I can see it now. icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Juni:

the main argument with the injuries I'd put up is that whilst Cech was injured, so was Carlo. If you'd have lost VDS and Koosh at the same point what would've happened? I presume Howard and Foster weren't allowed to be called back, so would you have been Champions with Heaton in goal for however long we had Hilário? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

it's a good point, but like i've said, if you'd barely got 10 minutes out of Drogba since christmas as we have with Saha, would you have done anywhere near as well in that time?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

such an accurate representation of how mental the place was. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

wonder if we were on portugese tv? icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i doubt it, not with you randomly swearing in the background as they were trying to interview me

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Juni:

would it really be a fair comparison given Saha's not in Drogba's league? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

they're both the fulcrum of our respective attacks when fit, he was our leading scorer at the time he got injured, and he played a massive part in the way we played to get into a lead at the top. don't think respective abilities matter, just importance to the team.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

I take a camera icon_biggrin.gif

such a day tripper icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So do I icon_frown.gif

It's been used about three times all season. icon_biggrin.gif

the thing is tho, hilarios record in the premiership isnt exactly sh*t.

PL 11

W 6

D 4

L 1

draws coming at home to arsenal, reading and fulham along with a clean sheet at villa. chalk off the arsenal/villa games, did he really cost you points in the other two? defeat came in the spurs away game where id look at john terry not playing a large part of it as one of the reasons you didnt pick up points.

NO SYMPATHY.

CHAMPIONS.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Francis Cole:

Chelsea relied a lot more Drogba than you have on Saha though didn't they? (maybe they didn't?) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

hardly our problem that tho is it?

wonder if we were on portugese tv? icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i doubt it, not with you randomly swearing in the background as they were trying to interview me </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

haha yeah, you were serious and I just ran along swearing icon_biggrin.gif

would it really be a fair comparison given Saha's not in Drogba's league? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Might be - if he was ever feckin' fit. icon_rolleyes.gif

Heres the mirror Article :

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

HOW THE CHAMPIONS RATED

Mirror Chief Football Writer Martin Lipton assesses the contribution of the 23 major players in Sir Alex Ferguson's brilliant recapture of the Barclays Premiership title..

MARTIN LIPTON 07/05/2007

EDWIN VAN DER SAR

31 starts, 12 clean sheets

The big Dutchman made a few blunders but they were more than compensated for by his series of key saves in the biggest games. Brought confidence to the back four and made United look solid again.

SEASON RATING: 8

GARY NEVILLE

24 starts, no goals

Injury-hit this season but still the barrack-room lawyer and organiser in chief at the back. His experience and consistency is a benchmark for his eventual successor to live up to. Nobody will enjoy this title more than the skipper.

SEASON RATING: 7

Advertisement

Click here to find out more!

RIO FERDINAND

33 starts, 1 goal

The odd wobble and at times needed the comforting presence of Vidic alongside him. Sometimes it is too easy for Rio but his absence was a key factor in United's Champions League exit.

NEMANJA VIDIC

24 starts, 3 goals

The new Steve Bruce, and a big factor this season. Dominant in the air at both ends, gave United the reassurance that was missing for the last two seasons. Came back too early in Milan but a towering influence.

SEASON RATING: 9

PATRICE EVRA

21 starts, 2 subs, 1 goal

Took advantage of Heinze's early-season injuries to become first choice and looked the real thing as he came to terms with English football. Positional sense good and gave zest coming forward.

CRISTIANO RONALDO

32 starts, 1 sub, 17 goals

Unplayable all season and simply magnificent. Could have walked away after the World Cup but instead set about showing his true worth. Getting him to agree a new deal is Fergie's best signing since Cantona.

SEASON RATING: 10

MICHAEL CARRICK

28 starts, 3 subs, 3 goals

Old Trafford has broken many players in the past but Carrick has thrived on the responsibility and the challenge to establish himself as a genuine United player. Nobody can doubt him for leaving Spurs now.

PAUL SCHOLES

29 starts, 6 goals

Past his prime? Who are you kidding? Has replaced Roy Keane as the heartbeat of the team, retaining all the instincts that made him a revelation but adding the extra knowledge gained through experience. Terrific.

SEASON RATING: 9

RYAN GIGGS

25 starts, 4 subs, 4 goals

The former boy wonder has evolved into Mr Versatile, equally adept out wide, in the engine room or running free through the middle. Still has the keys to unlock defences and has a few more years left.

WAYNE ROONEY

32 starts, 1 sub, 14 goals

Down in the dumps in the autumn, back at the summit when it mattered after the arrival of Henrik Larsson brought a spring to his step. Ends the campaign with a big smile and his first championship medal.

HENRIK LARSSON

5 starts, one sub, 1 goal

The statistics say he was a bit-part player but the truth is very different. Larsson energised Old Trafford and brought a new dynamic to the team. The signing of the season.

WES BROWN

15 starts, 5 subs

Still to make himself into a regular but had more chances this year without ever really suggesting his time has come. Probably would benefit from playing one position rather than across the back line.

SEASON RATING: 6

JOHN O'SHEA

14 starts, 16 subs, 3 goals

Become the master of the close-range tap in, with three from a combined distance of 12 yards. Proved his value in any position, including goalkeeper against Spurs.

GABI HEINZE

15 starts, 5 subs

The Argentinian lost his place to Evra and seems to have lost some of his effervescent self-belief too. Unconvincing during the run-in and has a big job to reclaim a starting berth next season.

MIKAEL SILVESTRE

6 starts, 7 subs, 1 goal

Must fear for his Old Trafford future after falling down the pecking order. Never really looked the part and then missed out on the end of the campaign through injury.

SEASON RATING: 5

PARK JI-SUNG

8 starts, 6 subs, 5 goals

The Korean has made himself an important squad member without ever looking a firstchoice starter. Plagued by injuries but still able to contribute in front of goal.

DARREN FLETCHER

14 starts, 8 starts, 3 goals

Nobody will have taken more pride in Fletcher's flowering than Fergie and he has shown he is ready for the big occasion. More to come but this was a big step forward.

KIERAN RICHARDSON

6 starts, 7 subs, 1 goal

A championship medal but otherwise not a campaign to remember. Too often seemed unable or reluctant to impose himself on games. Must do better.

LOUIS SAHA

18 starts, 6 subs, 8 goals

Started the season as Rooney's strike partner but injuries dogged him and Fergie appears to be losing faith in his commitment to the cause. Will point to his strike rate as justification.

OLE GUNNAR SOLSKJAER

7 starts, 10 subs, 7 goals

Old Trafford will always revere him for his part in the 1999 Miracle of Barcelona and his return as the title was regained was fitting. Bit-part player but some key goals.

ALAN SMITH

3 starts, 3 subs

Smith's return after his horror leg break was a good news story but this is where the hard work really begins. A striker or a midfielder? Nobody seems to know. Smith has to decide the answer.

CHRIS EAGLES

No starts, 1 sub, 1 goal

Not exactly a key performer but the goal that clinched the win at Everton summed up United and their season. The American will hope to play more of a role in the future.

TOMASZ KUSZCZAK

5 starts, 3 clean sheets

An able deputy to Van Der Sar and saved a penalty in the home defeat by Arsenal. Now likely to leave with Ben Foster's return from Watford and misses out on a medal.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

• Administrators

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">draws coming at home to arsenal, reading and fulham </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Arsenal goal

Fulham goal 2

I'd fancy Cech or Carlo to make a better job on all three, we don't concede those goals we arguably end up with 6 more points.

Hilário wasn't bad but quite frankly Cech's shown in his 18 games why having the best goalie in the world matters so much.

what a woeful article icon_biggrin.gif

- ridiculously underrates Rio's contribution (although that seems to be a common ailment)

- gets several stats wrong - JOS' goal tally for one

- slags off Richardson then gives him the same mark as Rio?!

- calling Eagles a yank ffs icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">RIO FERDINAND

33 starts, 1 goal

The odd wobble and at times needed the comforting presence of Vidic alongside him. Sometimes it is too easy for Rio but his absence was a key factor in United's Champions League exit.

SEASON RATING: 7 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do people even watch United before they comment? I think you will find Rio provides the comforting presence for the rest of our defence.

And i have no doubt the odd wobble he refers to is probably the Pompey OG.

Not to mention he was our best defender for me. If Vida gets a 9 then Rio should also have a 9.

i cant believer you think he can do any more with the fulham one, i mean seriously icon_biggrin.gif

one thing they all have in common is comedy defending, whilst cech being there might have aided that theres no way im buying that hilario has cost you significant title points. were not talking howardesque howlers here.

• Administrators

I dunno, maybe I'm being harsh, I mean I was behind that goal for all three of them and my initial thoughts for them all were that Hilário could've done better. The Fulham one he deflects a rebound back into the danger area, which isn't clever, although I agree the defending there is awful. Maybe to do with Ferreira being at centre back, a fact which throws off Taz's stats from earlier.

I dunno, maybe I'm being harsh, I mean I was behind that goal for all three of them and my initial thoughts for them all were that Hilário could've done better. The Fulham one he deflects a rebound back into the danger area, which isn't clever, although I agree the defending there is awful. Maybe to do with Ferreira being at centre back, a fact which throws off Taz's stats from earlier. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I do realise my stats dont account for things like that. A bit like us playing Silvestre who costs us a few goals or having Fletcher at right back or Sheasy in goal.

• Administrators

yeah we had JT in goal, yeah for less time but in a game where we had just a one goal lead, you had Pie in goal when you had a few iirc

such a rubbish point to argue that, I'm ashamed of myself. icon_biggrin.gif You're deserved champions, injuries or not.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Richie J:

and kuszczak could get a medal if he plays the last two games no? you need to play 10 iirc </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hes played 5 games in the prem so no.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> "This is not a time for excuses. I wish to congratulate the manager, the players, the board - and everyone else who gave them a help to be champions." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

whatever could he mean? bitter arsehole

Archived