The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

anyone can cut and paste the list..... Mad

The definitely going to be joining Manchester United, no doubt about it, cos the papers say so list

Mikel Arteta - Everton (Guardian)

Gareth Bale - Southamton (Mirror)

Dimitar Berbatov - Spurs (Guardian, Sunday Mirror)

Jermain Defoe - Spurs (Guardian)

Owen Hargreaves - Bayern Munich (Times)

Klaas Jan Huntelaar - Ajax (Guardian)

Youssouf Mulumbu - PSG (Youssouf Mulumbu)

Nani - Sporting Lisbon (Guardian)

Franck Ribery - Marseille (Himself via Sky)

Micah Richards - Manchester City (Mirror)

Steve Sidwell - Reading (Mirror)

Fernando Torres - Athletico Madrid (Mirror)

Running Total: 12

Predicted Final Total

Irish - 170

James07? - 112

bling - 102

pjburrage 99

WSR - 95

theis - 92

alilaw - 89

Nezell - 87

14AlanSmithifb 85

Hero of the day - 83

vanester 82

T!mbo - 80

BBB - 79

gonch19 - 78

Bagpuss 77

Rb - 76

Pickles - 74

julesMUFC - 71

ajw2255 - 70

Nick OGS20 - 68

Maverick 64

davidbowie 63

Ryno - 62

ACou2000 - 60

Gregg Carter 59

Jimlad - 56

ericcantona7 - 55

Matt Cavanagh - 54

mark g 52

keyser - 50

player_65 - 46

SLO_Fila 43

Taz Devil - 41

Saha - 39

The_Fish - 37

finneys13 - 36

Master Blasta - 32

EmmYouEffSee - 29

RedBlood - 26

qwerty2k - 17

Razor Eddie 16

? - 15

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">originally posted by mark g:

I'll be surprised if Ball gets anything other than the standard 3 game ban. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">originally posted by No Longer Bling :

bg style 'we will see, mark !' </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Could have gone for "time will tell" if you'd preferred, Blingster.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Sir Alex Ferguson will risk Manchester United getting beaten by Chelsea in order to preserve a sense of fair play in the relegation battle

Scrapping it out at the bottom is a concept alien to Ferguson apart from one very brief flirtation with danger during his early days as Red Devils boss.

Yet he is acutely aware all eyes will be on Old Trafford this weekend when United entertain a West Ham side looking for the point that will guarantee their safety.

Ferguson's long-time friendship with Alan Curbishley extends to the Scot presenting the Hammers boss with a return air ticket to New Zealand at the end of last season so his Premiership rival could see his sister after announcing he was stepping down as Charlton manager.

But Ferguson is eager to make it clear Curbishley can expect no favours this weekend, with Sheffield United and Wigan also scrapping for their lives.

And the United chief's determination to ensure he has a full strength side available to face the Hammers means he will rest a number of key man at Stamford Bridge as his team head south to meet the side they have just deposed as champions.

"The West Ham game is a very important issue," said Ferguson.

"We have to respect our reputation.

"Alan Curbishley is a good friend of mine but he understands we have to respect the wishes of other managers.

"I get on very well with Paul Jewell and Alan Pardew as well. They deserve our best attention to the game and I will be picking a team to win on Sunday.

"I don't know what my team will be at Chelsea but there will be a lot of changes, simply because the players are so tired."

In fact, Ferguson revealed even if Chelsea had beaten Arsenal on Sunday to prolong the title battle, he was considering fielding a less than full-strength side at Stamford Bridge in the belief that a fully fired-up United could have collected the point required to lift the trophy against West Ham four days later.

"I know it would have been controversial but when you consider Chelsea's home record in the last few seasons, I could have played my best team and still lost," he admitted.

"I could have played all my youth team and kept my first-choice one for Sunday.

"In the event, I am glad we are going there as champions. It would have been some game if we weren't."

Among those likely to miss out are Ryan Giggs and Paul Scholes. Edwin van der Sar may also get a rest, while Ferguson will assess the fitness of Rio Ferdinand and Nemanja Vidic very carefully, reluctant to take any risks with two of the men he believes have been key to United's success this season.

Although Ferguson has had some excellent central defenders in his ranks, until now none have threatened to forge a partnership as effective as the one Steve Bruce enjoyed with Gary Pallister at the start of United's title-winning sequence in 1993.

However, in the teak-tough Vidic and stylish Ferdinand, Ferguson now has exactly the right blend again.

"Everyone saw the difference it made to us defensively when Vidic and Ferdinand were back together at Manchester City on Saturday," said Ferguson.

"They were absolutely peerless. We have been looking for that foundation of strength in central defence for a long time.

"We have had some combinations but they have not lasted as long as Pallister and Bruce but we hope these two do."

Jose Mourinho has promised his players will applaud United onto the pitch on Wednesday, just as Ferguson ordered his team to do in similar circumstances two years ago.

United skipper Gary Neville, who remains sidelined with an ankle injury, described it as one of the worst experiences of his career, although Ferguson thinks it is an appropriate gesture.

"The guard of honour does not concern me too much but I am pleased they are going to honour us," he said.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Blink2k:

As if we didn't know that Ronaldo was fb, this just proves it even more.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,70131-1264705,00.html?f=rss </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

handsome, intelligent, well-built, amazing at football AND socially aware.

i think im in love

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Reserves chase silverware

Just days after the first team sealed the Premiership title, United's Reserves will aim to clinch more silverware in the Manchester Senior Cup Final on Tuesday night.

Having beaten Oldham in last year's final, United will be looking to retain the trophy against their local rivals at Old Trafford.

Tuesday night's showdown is the third time in four years United and City have contested the final, with the last meeting swaying the way of City in May 2005.

Brian McClair and Jim Ryan have named a familiar-looking side for the encounter, with Tom Heaton in goal behind a back-four of Richard Eckersley, James Chester, Michael Lea and Sean Evans.

Jamie Mullan and Michael Barnes occupy the wings, Floribert Ngalula and Sam Hewson fill the central midfield berths and Phil Marsh partners Aaron Burns upfront.

The match, which kicks off at 7:30pm, will be shown live on MUTV from 7pm.

United: Heaton; Eckersley, Chester, Lea, S Evans; Mullan, Hewson, Ngalula, Barnes; Marsh, Burns.

Substitutes: Brandy, Crockett, Fagan. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

'mon trophy number two

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

Woo great news. Things just get better and better.

First we win the league and now i've landed a new job paying £20,000 a year with all the overtime i want paid at £150 a day. icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Congratulations Taz.

Oh and Ronaldo icon14.gif A great thing to do.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> United’s Reserves relinquished their Manchester Senior Cup trophy as Manchester City won 3-1 at Old Trafford on Tuesday night.

Brian McClair and Jim Ryan’s side end the season with no silverware to show for their efforts after late strikes from Marc Laird and Paul Marshall for the visitors.

City took the lead after just three minutes through a Daniel Sturridge penalty, before Michael Barnes equalised on 69 minutes for United. Parity lasted just four minutes, however, as Laird nodded in a free header before Marshall’s clincher.

United’s starting line-up had a familiar look to it, but the hosts were on the back foot almost immediately as Sturridge rather easily fell under James Chester’s challenge before calmly stroking the resultant spot kick past Tom Heaton.

The visitors were well worth their lead in the opening half, turning in a physically dominant performance against their younger hosts.

Ishmael Miller saw a glancing header caught by Heaton, and the burly striker was involved again shortly afterwards as his cross was stabbed goalwards by United defender Michael Lea, only for Heaton to somehow turn the ball to safety with his legs.

Sean Evans drilled United’s best chance of the half at City keeper Joe Hart, but Jamie Mullan – standing in as skipper for the absent Kieran Lee – was at the hub of the Reds' most promising play.

Aaron Burns was thwarted by City keeper Joe Hart from close range 10 minutes after the interval as United began to press for

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unlucky chaps icon_frown.gif

Got to give the other half a chance sometimes though eh?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

so much admiration for henke, mainly keeping his word to helsinborgs/wife/kids and staying for what he said he would.

awesome bloke </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed. Utter class through and through icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RedBlood:

The list of players joining us can we not include people who say they wish to join us? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

If a newspaper / major website carries the story, then it goes on the list. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Surely shameless self-promotion by a random 20 year old & Franck Ribery isn’t the same as the papers or another major news outlet rumouring that a deal is in the works for PLAYER X though? Although I suppose if a paper picked up a quote and declared “PLAYER X makes come-and-get-me plea to Fergie†it wouldn’t be different…ah screw it leave them in.

This is just me being pedantic and fixing a couple of spelling errors that were bugging me since this is going to be reposted quite a bit…

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

The definitely going to be joining Manchester United, no doubt about it, cos the papers say so list

Mikel Arteta - Everton (Guardian)

Gareth Bale - Southampton (Mirror)

Dimitar Berbatov - Spurs (Guardian, Sunday Mirror)

Jermain Defoe - Spurs (Guardian)

Owen Hargreaves - Bayern Munich (Times)

Klaas Jan Huntelaar - Ajax (Guardian)

Youssouf Mulumbu - PSG (Youssouf Mulumbu)

Nani - Sporting Lisbon (Guardian)

Franck Ribery - Marseille (Himself via Sky)

Micah Richards - Manchester City (Mirror)

Steve Sidwell - Reading (Mirror)

Fernando Torres - Atletico Madrid (Mirror)

Running Total: 12

Predicted Final Total

Irish – 170

James07? – 112

bling – 102

pjburrage – 99

WSR – 95

theis – 92

alilaw – 89

Nezell – 87

14AlanSmithifb – 85

Hero of the day – 83

vanester – 82

T!mbo – 80

BBB – 79

gonch19 – 78

Bagpuss – 77

Rb – 76

Pickles – 74

julesMUFC – 71

ajw2255 – 70

Nick OGS20 – 68

Maverick – 64

davidbowie – 63

Ryno – 62

ACou2000 – 60

Gregg Carter – 59

Jimlad – 56

ericcantona7 – 55

Matt Cavanagh – 54

mark g – 52

keyser – 50

player_65 – 46

SLO_Fila – 43

Taz Devil – 41

Saha – 39

The_Fish – 37

finneys13 – 36

Master Blasta – 32

EmmYouEffSee – 29

RedBlood – 26

qwerty2k – 17

Razor Eddie – 16

? – 15

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh yeah, and this is just something that I was musing about, and I can imagine that it'll get a negative response, but does anyone else think that Nicolas Anelka might be an option worth considering?

If you stripped him of his negative baggage (which is admittedly sizeable - the clubs he's played for, the rep surrounding his attitude, the fact that he's never really fulfilled his potential, the Premiership premium if we were to go after him, etc. etc.), and brought it down to his physical and footballing attributes (and maybe consider that he's pretty much kept his head down and worked pretty hard for Bolton without a fuss and done well) then wouldn't he be a pretty good foil for Rooney and the rest of the team to play off?

I'm guessing that any response to this will be firmly in the negative, and don't get me wrong I do see the downsides, but I think that the stage we could offer and with Fergie handling him Anelka the player could be invigorated and Anelka the man could be content.

Yeah I'm one of those with the negative response

team players ftw. Fergie MIGHT be able to get the best out of him but dont think Anelka is that much better than other options to make it worth the risk of being a total flop

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

get rid of the cantishness and yeah, he's quality </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah but you cant, so its moo

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

yeah but you cant, so its moo </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You've all seen the difference getting rid of a selfish, bad apple striker can make. Why then bring one back in?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

icon_biggrin.gif

Sorry, cows = funny for me. Up there in the top 3 of comedy animals along with the pretty much ever-present monkey family and oft overlooked kangaroo...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Young Jimlad:

icon_biggrin.gif

Sorry, cows = funny for me. Up there in the top 3 of comedy animals along with the pretty much ever-present monkey family and oft overlooked kangaroo... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you drunk/high?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

You've all seen the difference getting rid of a selfish, bad apple striker can make. Why then bring one back in? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was only asking because ability wise he should have the goods and as far as his attitude goes he seems somewhat reformed at Bolton. Anyway, it was just a thought...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Young Jimlad:

icon_biggrin.gif

Sorry, cows = funny for me. Up there in the top 3 of comedy animals along with the pretty much ever-present monkey family and oft overlooked kangaroo... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you drunk/high? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Does it seem like I'm currently under the influence? Cos I'm really not. Totally serious about it infact. Watch a couple of kangaroo's box each other some time and you'll see what I mean. Cows have got this deadpan humour going for them. As for our simian brethren, their work speaks for themselves.

**** off ****

Mika > all of you </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif

icon_biggrin.gif

This is why, you missed something out that's now in bold...

yeah but you cant, so its moot </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

...the missing letter sent me to cows and then to the madness that followed.

Hell I spent about 10minutes laughing at the opening exchange in this youtube clip...

Anyway in an attempt ot rehabilitate myself - the moreish crack is a Peep Show quote no? I've only seen a few eps, tis quite good, how much can you get the DVDs for?

the missing letter was intentional ffs

Friends quotes a bit too obscure icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Christ its one of Joey's isn't it? Can't believe I missed it tbh.

Well I got a different sort of laugh out of it...

Archived