The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by theis:

I'm currently expecting to win the Telegraph competition for two FA cup final tickets. I don't have a plan B if that goes wrong icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm in some BBC competition for 2 tickets to Sunday. My also enter the FA.com competition aswell for Cup final tickets.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

I'm in some BBC competition for 2 tickets to Sunday. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I entered that you w*nker icon_frown.gif

Also entered the one on official site icon_biggrin.gif

so desperate

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

I'm in some BBC competition for 2 tickets to Sunday. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I entered that you w*nker icon_frown.gif

Also entered the one on official site icon_biggrin.gif

so desperate </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The one where you have to preorder a match programme? What a twattish competition.

Still going to enter though icon_biggrin.gif

I think I have missed something like 3 home games all season in all competitions & I don't have a ticket icon_frown.gif

Surprisingly not bothered at the moment though. Would still take one if offered but I don't care if I have to watch it in the pub with mates.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Statement regarding the transfer of Tim Howard to Everton FC

As a result of media articles this morning, the Club feels that its position in the transfer of Tim Howard has been misrepresented.

At no point did either Club set out to break FAPL rules. The transfer of Tim Howard, who was then on a season-long loan to Everton, reflected Everton’s desire to acquire the player, the player’s wish to secure his long-term future and Manchester United’s willingness to sell him. In drafting the transfer agreement with Everton’s approval, the Club inserted a clause acknowledging that Tim Howard would not be available for selection against United.

It remains both Clubs’ position that such a deal could not be a “material influence†on the integrity of the 2006/07 FAPL season if it reflects no change to the situation as it existed at the time. Before the deal, Tim Howard was not able to play against Manchester United. After the deal, the same would have been true. It therefore would have had no effect on the integrity of the competition whatsoever.

The FAPL rejected the inclusion of this in the contract.

Manchester United

11 May 2007 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The definitely going to be joining Manchester United, no doubt about it, cos the papers say so list

Mikel Arteta - Everton (Guardian)

Gareth Bale - Southampton (Mirror)

Dimitar Berbatov - Spurs (Guardian, Sunday Mirror)

Jermain Defoe - Spurs (Guardian)

Samuel Eto'o - Barca (Daily Mail)

Owen Hargreaves - Bayern Munich (Times)

Klaas Jan Huntelaar - Ajax (Guardian)

Youssouf Mulumbu - PSG (Youssouf Mulumbu)

Nani - Sporting Lisbon (Guardian)

Michael Owen - Newcastle (Various + BBC)

Franck Ribery - Marseille (Himself via Sky)

Micah Richards - Manchester City (Mirror)

Steve Sidwell - Reading (Mirror)

Fernando Torres - Atletico Madrid (Mirror)

Carlos Tevez - West Ham (Star, Mirror)

Running Total: 15

Predicted Final Total

Irish – 170

James07? – 112

bling – 102

pjburrage – 99

WSR – 95

theis – 92

alilaw – 89

Nezell – 87

14AlanSmithifb – 85

Hero of the day – 83

vanester – 82

T!mbo – 80

BBB – 79

gonch19 – 78

Bagpuss – 77

Rb – 76

Pickles – 74

julesMUFC – 71

ajw2255 – 70

Nick OGS20 – 68

Maverick – 64

davidbowie – 63

Ryno – 62

ACou2000 – 60

Gregg Carter – 59

Jimlad – 56

ericcantona7 – 55

Matt Cavanagh – 54

mark g – 52

keyser – 50

player_65 – 46

SLO_Fila – 43

Taz Devil – 41

Saha – 39

The_Fish – 37

finneys13 – 36

Master Blasta – 32

EmmYouEffSee – 29

RedBlood – 26

qwerty2k – 17

Razor Eddie – 16

? – 15

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

just seen that the Star linked us with Tevez on Wednesday. reliably (?) informed by the gf that we were linked with him in the Mirror today too. stuck him at the end rather than in alphabetical order, easier to see who's been added.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

everton wanted it sorting ffs?! what are we a charity case? should have let them squirm, let the window open and squeezed out more money, to be spent on tevez or some other future king </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well we are your feeder club apparently!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

I could swear Fergie said the same thing about Masch and Tevez about a week after they first joined West Ham. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Indeed he did, probably was asked about Tevez again and just repeated himself, as older gentlemen are prone to do.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> stuck him at the end rather than in alphabetical order, easier to see who's been added. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Perhaps have the alphabetical list, then small section for each new entrant?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

ours haven't arrived yet icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Girls Aloud tickets came yesterday tohugh

haha, had forgotten about that.

need to book the afternoon off work.

brother was rushed to hospital last night, stupid arse had cracked his head open, home now though thank god.

oh crap, just been to get my phone from the postman, got 2 parcels waiting for me, locked up, can't get them till monday, guess what they are?

cup final tickets

ticket for jonny for tomorrow

tried ringing the concierge and no joy :*(

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

oh crap, just been to get my phone from the postman, got 2 parcels waiting for me, locked up, can't get them till monday, guess what they are?

cup final tickets

tried ringing the concierge and no joy :*( </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

locked up at the flats i assume??

my brother did what your brother did years ago, fell out of the window of his bedroom onto the road

mother spent the week at the hospital with him why i had to spend the week hopping from house to house around the darn village

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bagpuss:

cup final tickets

tried ringing the concierge and no joy :*( </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

locked up at the flats i assume??

my brother did what your brother did years ago, fell out of the window of his bedroom onto the road

mother spent the week at the hospital with him why i had to spend the week hopping from house to house around the darn village </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

aye dude, the storeroom.

trying to beg on RI now for one

that's it now, no more tickets for people. if people want tickets then they can join RI Sanctuary or RN, too much hassle, in the space of a month I'm £60 down due to ballsup with tickets that aren't even my fault

Thats all good and well but its not in jinny's name is it so i doubt they'll give out a ticket without proof of ID pertaining to the ticket holders address etc.

I know Mart has used by ST book to get duplicates for Cup games due to me forgetting it onece and the other time it not arriving in time as i was away but this is different.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Despite a title, Glazers can't win

By John Haydon

The Washington Times May 12, 2007

It has been two years since Malcolm Glazer's controversial takeover of Manchester United for $1.47 billion. After a two-year hiatus, Manchester United, for the 16th time in the club's history, is English Premier League champion. However, feelings over Glazer and his three sons -- Bryan, Avram and Joel -- who run the jewel of English soccer -- still are very mixed.

Manchester United chief executive David Gill told BBC radio that the Glazers, who also own the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, have had a positive impact on the club.

"Their ownership has brought stability and we are benefiting from that," Gill said.

When the Glazers took over the team in May 2005 there were violent demonstrations. Fans tore up their season tickets and others walked away from the club to form their own club called FC United. The rationale behind the outrage was that Glazer wasn't a real fan and would saddle the club with a massive debt.

"All the doomsayers who said we would be in trouble have been proved wrong," Gill said.

But despite Manchester United's success and Glazer's willingness to spend money on new players, the hatred runs deep. The Independent Manchester United Supporters Association on its Web site -- www.imusa.org -- ranks this year's triumph only second to the 1995-96 season when Manchester United came from 12 points behind to win the league. Still, the Glazers get no thanks and are only mocked.

"There has been no change in our attitude to the Glazers just because we have won a title," IMUSA spokesman Colin Hendrie said in an e-mail to The Washington Times. "The team and Sir Alex [Ferguson] won the title in spite of the Glazers and we nearly didn't win the title because of them. They sold so many players and failed to provide any investment for the team."

The current title is Manchester United's ninth Premier League championship under Ferguson, and its first in four years.

The Glazers weren't afraid to spend money to return Manchester United back to the top of the Premier League. Three important players joined Manchester United in the last two years, including midfielder Michael Carrick, who cost the team $32 million by himself. The team's venue was expanded and the club sealed a record $110 million shirt deal with AIG. Manchester United also still has a chance of claiming the FA Cup when it plays former EPL champion Chelsea at the new Wembley Stadium on May 19.

Still last week, a car thought to have belonged to the Glazers was attacked by an angry mob outside a Manchester hotel the Glazers had stayed in the previous night.

Hendrie doesn't believe that anti-Americanism had anything to do with the opposition to the Glazers.

"Manchester is proud of its political history and its reputation for having a spirit of rebellion," Hendrie said. "We even have a statue of Abraham Lincoln given to us by the people of the U.S. because Lancashire cotton workers voted to continue their financial suffering rather than end their part in the Union's fight against slavery in your civil war."

Since Glazer's purchase of Manchester United, several other English clubs have been acquired by Americans, including Liverpool FC -- England's most successful club -- by George Gillett Jr., who owns the Montreal Canadiens, and Tom Hicks, who owns the Texas Rangers. Randy Lerner, who owns the Cleveland Browns, purchased Aston Villa.

Interestingly though, when Gillett and Hicks took over Liverpool, there was hardly a murmur of dissent from the club's passionate fans.

"Our current chairman is often accused of never having fully exploited the Liverpool brand so there's an acceptance that a bit of Yankee 'get up and go' is needed here," said Steven Kelly, editor of the Liverpool fanzine Through the Wind and Rain. "Also, you go through 17 years without a league title, despite some appreciated cup success and people are liable to turn a blind eye to anything."

Liverpool will challenge for the biggest club trophy in the world -- the Champions League Cup -- against AC Milan on May 23.

"In general Liverpool fans are more practical and pragmatic [than Manchester United fans]," Kelly said. "We've simply realized that the way things were held us back from beating Manchester United and more so, Chelsea."

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

anyone bored on a saturday afternoon might be interested in tuning into channel m at one o' clock for a special on fcum's cup win... (repeated 6:30pm today, and tomoz 12:30pm and 7:00pm)

alternatively, you can see the goals and/or highlights @ http://fcum.tv/ (click on 'Match Highlights & Goals')

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The Glazers weren't afraid to spend money to return Manchester United back to the top of the Premier League. Three important players joined Manchester United in the last two years, including midfielder Michael Carrick, who cost the team $32 million by himself. The team's venue was expanded and the club sealed a record $110 million shirt deal with AIG. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

stuff like this is so lazy and annoying.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by theis:

Basically all that you can say about the Glazers is that the worst case scenario hasn't happened, thankfully. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yet...

I don't think even the most reactionary of the anti-glazer people suggested it'd fall apart in months. But, you just have to look at the figures associated with Red Football to know that the financial knife edge that was always suggested is a reality.

Obviously, the league title, decent run in Europe, the vast increase in TV revenue from next season and the season ticket increases will all help keep the debt at bay.

And tbh anyone looking at the Glazer's in a positive light should just look at that one word...debt...and re-think any good things they suggest the Yanks have given us.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The Glazers weren't afraid to spend money to return Manchester United back to the top of the Premier League. Three important players joined Manchester United in the last two years, including midfielder Michael Carrick, who cost the team $32 million by himself. The team's venue was expanded and the club sealed a record $110 million shirt deal with AIG. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

stuff like this is so lazy and annoying. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Which bit of that is wrong? Maybe the 3 players bit, Carrick, some left back and Vidic is it?

It's suggestive of a situation which simply isnt true. Whilst the facts of it are there, it fails to tell any of the other side. The players sold, the one-year season ticket whoring, etc

Also re: "weren't afraid to spend money" - we all know the stat about net transfer profit

essentially they've taken some individual instances there, out of context, and used it to sum up the 'glorious' Glazer reign.

also,

""All the doomsayers who said we would be in trouble have been proved wrong," Gill said."

anyone else have a really weird sense of wishing it'd all go to pot just to f**k Gill over. c**t.

the glazers not being afraid to spend money (cf. net spend)

the fact that the stadium expansion was already under way, contracts signed and this could not have been cancelled.

that vodafone pulled out of their deal with united and further to that, it was widely thought prior to the takeover that united undersold the value of their sponsorship when compared to other champions league clubs (see redissues in the months prior).

Archived