The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">West Ham have joined Manchester United and Portsmouth in the race to sign Wolves' £2m-rated winger Michael Kightly. (News of the World) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The definitely going to be joining Manchester United, no doubt about it, cos the papers say so list

Anderson - Porto (Daily Mail)

Alfonso Alves - Heerenveen (Mirror)

Mikel Arteta - Everton (Guardian)

Gareth Bale - Southampton (Mirror)

Dimitar Berbatov - Spurs (Guardian)

Jermain Defoe - Spurs (Guardian)

Samuel Eto'o - Barca (Daily Mail)

Craig Gordon - Hearts (BBC)

Eidur Gudjohnsen - Barca (NOTW)

Owen Hargreaves - Bayern Munich (Times)

Klaas Jan Huntelaar - Ajax (Guardian)

Aaron Lennon - Spurs (Mirror)

Michael Kightly - Wolves (NOTW)

Jean Makoun - Lille (L'Equipe)

Florent Malouda - Lyon (Sky Sports)

Rio Mavuba - Bordeaux (Mirror)

Benni McCarthy - Blackburn (NOTW)

Youssouf Mulumbu - PSG (Youssouf Mulumbu)

Nani - Sporting Lisbon (Guardian)

Michael Owen - Newcastle (Various + BBC)

Nathan Porritt - Middlesbrough (Times)

Franck Ribery - Marseille (Himself via Sky)

Micah Richards - Manchester City (Mirror)

Steve Sidwell - Reading (Mirror)

Ryan Taylor - Wigan (Manchester Evening News)

Carlos Tevez - West Ham (Star, Mirror)

Fernando Torres - Atletico Madrid (Mirror)

Mark Viduka - Middlesbrough (Super soaraway sun)

Running Total: 28

Predicted Final Total

Irish – 170

James07? – 112

bling – 102

pjburrage – 99

WSR – 95

theis – 92

alilaw – 89

Nezell – 87

14AlanSmithifb – 85

Hero of the day – 83

vanester – 82

T!mbo – 80

BBB – 79

gonch19 – 78

Bagpuss – 77

Rb – 76

Pickles – 74

julesMUFC – 71

ajw2255 – 70

Rcjuk -69

Nick OGS20 – 68

Maverick – 64

davidbowie – 63

Ryno – 62

ACou2000 – 60

Gregg Carter – 59

Jimlad – 56

ericcantona7 – 55

Matt Cavanagh – 54

mark g – 52

keyser – 50

player_65 – 46

SLO_Fila – 43

Taz Devil – 41

Saha – 39

The_Fish – 37

finneys13 – 36

Master Blasta – 32

EmmYouEffSee – 29

<STRIKE>RedBlood – 26</STRIKE>

<STRIKE>qwerty2k – 17</STRIKE>

<STRIKE>Razor Eddie – 16</STRIKE>

<STRIKE>? – 15</STRIKE>

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

only him and Eto'o today.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> "If you're not in the team or appearing on television, people tend to think you're dead!"

"But I can assure them that I am not and I'll be out to prove that next season.

"I have two years left on my contract and the manager did everything to keep me at the club last summer. I have no reason to believe anything has changed.

"He even told me recently that he still has full confidence in me, so I will definitely be here next year.

"I see my future with the club for as long as the manager still wants me in his team."

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

guess who </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The whole the manager did everything to keep me at the club last summer. was a give away. As well as told me recently that he still has full confidence in me icon_frown.gif

Good work from Rossigol then icon14.gif

Although the lad is obviously quality I'm still not quite sure how I see him fitting in to Fergie's plans on the whole if I'm honest.

Its all very well saying he's an able backup to Rooney given that he seems to be a second-striker but even though he's young is he going to get the opportunities he's probably going to after since he's performed so well for Parma?

With Saha unreliable but very useful when not on the treatment table and in the mood, Smithy a more traditional hard-working centre-forward, Ole only really capable of being a sub/very occasional starter, Giggs more than likely going to be used increasingly as a second striker if Fergie’s recent team deployments can be taken as a measure of how he’s going to be used effectively, & finally the likes of Dong and Campbell not good enough/yet ready to be involved as part of the first team set-up where does this leave Beppe?

Can he be played up front with Rooney and forge a useful partnership? Or is Fergie’s proclivity for starting Rooney out wide suggestive that he’s trying to give him space and freedom in a role akin to how Barca tend to allow Ronaldinho to play as a free AMLC?

When I was catching up a week or so ago I think theis and a few others were discussing tactical deployments post-Hargreaves and they came up with something like this, which I actually see as having some merit, especially in the absence of money for or the availability/existence of a viable winger to target that would allow us to play a closer to traditional 442…(hope this works)

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

Saha

Rooney Ronaldo

Scholes

Carrick Hargreaves

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Smith

Rossi OGS/JSP

Giggs

???? Fletcher

</pre>

Obviously by including Saha I’ve just tried to work it out on the basis of no other signings being made and using the players who could be used within the current squad (???? can be anyone you want, hell throw O’Shea in there), but the question is does this seem the most viable way of fitting Hargreaves into the team without sacrificing Scholes or Carrick & can Rooney and Rossi function regularly in that quasi-wide berth?

Based on the strengths of the players involves its arguable that playing the players in this fluid 4231/451/433 formation is better for them than forcing them into a 442/4411 formation. Although in saying that given Hargreaves’ versatility, does anyone see Fergie occasionally using him out on the right as an industrious winger allowing us to play…

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

Ronaldo - - - Scholes - - - Carrick - - - Hargreaves

</pre>

?

And speaking of Hargreaves, when are people expecting confirmation of the deal then? Tomorrow or Tuesday? Or is this injury he's carrying going to prolong the situation into June?

Anyway, cue tl;dr's...

I'm sure Hargreaves could play out on the right but surely that's not why we're buying him? I mean, isn't he supposed to be the tough tackling midfielder we need? He'd be pretty useless on the right-wing.

I'm personally not a fan of the three-pronged attack. I feel our midfielders drop too deep. I'd rather we continue with a 4-4-2-esque formation with four attackers attacking at any given time. I think Rossi will get a few games. Whether on the left or in the centre. We shouldn't forget that Richardson played 24 times last season.

Why would we play Hargreaves on the right? That just seems stupid to me.

Hargreaves has been bought to provide the tough tackling ball winning element we have been missing. Your three options are 3 in central midfield, push Scholes into the Giggs role or drop one of them.

If Hargreaves is going to spend games on the wing then its clear to me we should have bought a winger first and Hargeaves second but i just cant see that happening.

yeah cant see many if any times Hargs will be on the right

I think Fergie will just push this 433ish formation more and more next season now it seems to have started 'fitting' a little better

first choice

CM Hargreaves

CM Carrick

CM Scholes

FW Rooney

FW Ronaldo

ST Smith/Saha/new signing

Hargreaves doing more protecting/man-marking jobs, Carrick moving forward a bit more than he has done this year, and Scholes probably floating to get hold of the ball and license to push forward too.

Rossi as back up for the Roonaldo positions tbh.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

oh and our new left back fabio, scored SEVEN goals in the under 17's copa america.

you can stick your gareth bale icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We signed him then? What happened to that 'seal' player - who could keep the ball on his neck/chest the whole length of the pitch and score?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by EmmYouEffSee:

oh and our new left back fabio, scored SEVEN goals in the under 17's copa america.

We signed him then? What happened to that 'seal' player - who could keep the ball on his neck/chest the whole length of the pitch and score? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We have signed both Fabio and his twin brother but they cannot join us until they turn 18.

And the seal trick kid is Kerlon. Still plying his trade in Brazil for what i know and aged around 18. I think we were even linked with him at one point.

redblood drop me an email and I'll send your book back icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Forgot all about that icon_biggrin.gif

Don't worry about it you can buy me a drink at a match were both at some time

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Isnt there some sort of box set with all the season reviews from 92/93 through about 02/03 somewhere? Could swear that exists and if anyone knows where to find it then do tell. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ask nick, i think he has it. or if he doesn't, i'm sure he has something similar, probably done by the same people.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dips:

So what's happening with you lot and Nani? Are you still interested or anything? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I read that Tottenham had agreed a meeting with the club officials which puts them in pole position

Didn't Fergie and his brother fly out to see him play or was that someone else?

Yeah, ITKs on the Spurs forums called it a couple of days before the press. Apparently had a meeting today to discuss how much they were willing to spend, etc and supposed to be meeting with Sporting officials sometime this week. Levy is determined to get him apparently.

On 7 February 1925 Albert Pape arrived at Old Trafford with his Clapton Orient team-mates for a Second Division game. An hour or so prior to kick-off United signed Pape and he made his debut in the match against the players he travelled to Manchester with. To really rub it in, Pape scored in United's 4-2 win.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RedBlood:

On 7 February 1925 Albert Pape arrived at Old Trafford with his Clapton Orient team-mates for a Second Division game. An hour or so prior to kick-off United signed Pape and he made his debut in the match against the players he travelled to Manchester with. To really rub it in, Pape scored in United's 4-2 win. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ha. Way to go.

mart's stolen someone's copy of world soccer

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Blaine:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Isnt there some sort of box set with all the season reviews from 92/93 through about 02/03 somewhere? Could swear that exists and if anyone knows where to find it then do tell. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ask nick, i think he has it. or if he doesn't, i'm sure he has something similar, probably done by the same people. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i've got the 92/93-01/02 one (well, it's the gf's, but i've basically stolen it). think she got it from MVC, dunno if they still exist, if they do you should be able to get it off their website. if not you're probably looking at eBay.

and what a joy it was to sign into gmail and see a veritable plethora of votes recieved. wp lads. i'll give james a chance to vote tomorrow but we'll go ahead with the awards in the evening regardless.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

i've got the 92/93-01/02 one (well, it's the gf's, but i've basically stolen it). think she got it from MVC, dunno if they still exist, if they do you should be able to get it off their website. if not you're probably looking at eBay. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've still got from something like 87 or 88 all the way 'til 02/03, although most of them are video rather than DVD.

Archived