The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

Ok then, what midfielders are United class? Ballack? oh yeah he's gone to Chelsea. Makalele? same. Kaka? will not come to us. Ronaldinho? yes great chance of getting him. Mascherano? Yes, but we don't seem to be in the running anymore. Diarra? Great lets spend £30m on one player.

Times have changed, no longer are we going to be able to go out and sign World Class players, whether that be because of the Glazer debt, Mr. Abramovich, or that we're not exactly going to be pushing for titles in England and Europe anytime soon. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't get Kaka, I read in the paper today that he'd signed a new 3 year deal at AC. Surely you'd wait for this scandal to be over before signing anything with them? He'd be great in England, I pray that if he's part of any Serie A firesale in the fallout of the scandals that he doesn't go to any of our rivals.

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wasma:

ssn saying that gattuso hasnt hiden his desire to play for a big team in england towards the end of his carreer. Man Utd being the club mentioned specifically and this is the best chance of him going there if Milan get relegated </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We're going to be linked with pretty much every midfielder of note who is caught up in the Italian match fixing mess.

We're also going to be linked with the players that those players are going to be replacing at other clubs.

Thomas Gravesen is on his way.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

Republic of Singapore? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yup it is, got it translated from Bablefish?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

his much fabled commitment has hardly won us much has it </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agree fully gonch apart from on that bit, I don't really think that's relevant and is more to do with some of the numpties around him and the decision to put him in midfield than Smith himself.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

aha, the real reason we aren't signing Hargreaves, from everyones favourite paper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Hargreaves may even have become surplus to requirements in 12 months’ time if the likes of Darren Fletcher, John O’Shea and youngster David Jones continue to progress at Old Trafford. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif

Who said that Stevie Wonder?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keyser:

Oh, btw.

I'm preparing for "sleeping giant" status. It won't be long now. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is it nap time already?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James M:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James M:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

Senna didn't want to join after we made it clear he was a fallback.

And I can only assume people within the club didn't feel mascherano was good enough </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are they the only DM's in the world then? And it shows the right royal screw up of the Senna deal that we only stalled it at the point it was obvious he was a back up. How hard would it have been to make initial inquiries and then sit on it at that point until we had an indication of whether we were going to get Hargreaves as well? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There aren't many others who are of a good enough quality who we could also afford? The likes of Denilson (whom arsenal got) are good prospects, but we need someone now. Cambiasso won't leave Inter. There aren't many to pick from </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

While there may not be that many there aren't none. We can look a level below world class at the minute as we need a short term fix. And how can you defend not getting a prospect as we need someone now, when we haven't got anyone now? icon_biggrin.gif

finished article > great prospect > no-one > John O'Shea. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok, fair point icon_biggrin.gif

I can only assume we've got something lined up for January, although of course that helps us none over the next 4 months :/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think you're being wildly optimistic if you think there's something lined up for January. While that doesn't mean we won't get someone, there's been nothing to suggest in this window or over the last few years that suddenly we're that organised that we look more than even a week or two ahead on transfers, let alone 3-4 months.

Of course that doesn't mean that we won't sign someone, but if we do it'll probably be a defender icon_frown.gif. And even if we get a midfielder, they will very likely be cup-tied for the champions league, assuming we make it through this time.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

you're* </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And do you still wonder why Ryno made his comment? icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ratinho:

Yeah, out of interest, why do none of your players attack CRonaldo's frankly terrifying corners? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rio too scared.

O'Shea too busy being out of position and planning his next loss of possession.

Brown just put off by O'Sheas crapness.

Silvestre wrong shaped head. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was so mad that nobody was at him about him shooting when there was someone in a better position, trying to be too flash, some stupid passes. He really p*ssed me off on sunday

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gregg Carter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by snipersdream:

Seems the Glazer cutbacks have extended to transport costs for the players too - Rio, Wayne and Wes were in Macclesfield railway station last night, presumably waiting for a train down to the England training camp (though why they couldn't club together for a taxi is beyond me) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

a) Why should the club pay for them to get to the England training camp?

b) They have their own cars. If they're not driving down. Maybe they want to go down in a way that allows them to relax rather than having to drive? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Of course, why didn't that occur to me?

• 2 weeks later...

Got any games in mind Rich? Keith's villa ticket is free at home, in the middle of January </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd normally bite your hand off for it, but she'll kill me if I bugger off before baby K is born icon_biggrin.gif I was thinking around March/April time when things have calmed down a bit.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ryno:

What a great 2nd half. \o/

Ronaldo just magic again but Silvestre just had to make it nervous stuff yet again.

Pretty much everything about the game has been said in here apart from any praise for OGS. I thought that he was great today, chased the ball down from the front, his movement off the ball was superb and he just basically showed signs of his pre injury awesomeness. I was tempted to give him MOTM to be different, but I just can't bring myself to type it.

MOTM: Ronaldo

2nd: OGS

Come on a nice big win against the Geordies. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

the thing with Ole is that he's quite clearly lost a bit of pace with the injuries (and it shows on occasion when chasing balls put in behind the defence etc), but he wasn't the paciest anyway. his movement is still absolutely top notch - he's by far the cleverest forward we have in that sense - and his finishing is as good as ever, so he's a massive asset to have. he doesn't offer as much as Saha overall for obvious age/fitness-related reasons, but what a bonus he's been this season.

re: the red card - thought it was the correct decision, and a fairly easy one to make. the tackle on Gaby was a yellow without question, and from where i was sat he pretty clearly tugs Rooney back, which is a mandatory yellow

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Weststandred:

Matchgoers that haven't been to the wall, in other words SCUM

Young Jimlad

emmyoueffcee

weststandred

Gonch19

Anyone else? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fred_the_Red? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

WAKEY

• 3 weeks later...

It's just all of the "CHAMPIONS" chants etc, it's way too premature. We have a decent chance of it now, but still, how daft will it look if we screw it up? icon_biggrin.gif

Oh well, lets just enjoy today's result I guess icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SirZ:

I know its the agreement but Its just in the business end of such a crucial campaign. I would have thought you lot would have made the effort to keep him. Doesnt seem like you have at all. Could be the difference between winning a trophy or ending up without anything. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

if we really really pushed for it we could keep him, but the bottom line is helsingborgs did us a favour and we are honouring that favour by not trying to take advantage of them.

itll be a shame to see him go but in all honesty he hasnt been that great for us in the last few games anyway

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

it's massively frustrating because we do have the squad to make an impact in the CL I think, but our whole approach to European ties is so wrong that we can't make happen. We need to play to our strengths more for me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yup. one or two of the senior players need to tell fergie and carlos to back them away in europe. to send the team out to attack. we might very well not win the game, but we'll pick a vital away goal or three.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Xennaz:

Here's my goal-rankings for today's game icon_razz.gif

8: Rooney

7: Evra

6: Ronaldo's second

5: Carrick's first

4: Ronaldo's first

3: De Rossi

2: Smith

1: Carrick's second

That being said, they were all brilliant in their own way icon_razz.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

harsh on rooney's goal really, simple finish maybe but it's a brilliant, typically united move

all the off-field stuff doesn't particularly bother me. he seems like a bit of a c**k but if he was a half-decent footballer and, more importantly, worked his arse off for the team i'd have no problem with him at all, much like i couldn't really gaf about some of the off-field stuff Rio gets stick for when he's performing as he has been.

From good old abu365. might interest some. i'd edit out the horrific use of ManYoo but, well, i cba:

0 - Goalless draws involving ManYoo.

1 - Games lost at Old Trafford. Against Arsenal in September, as if you need to ask.

2 - Average number of goals scored by ManYoo away from home in the Premiership. Chelsea's figure is 1.37.

3 - Players shortlisted for the PFA Player of the Year award.

4 - Goals scored by both John O'Shea and Nemanja Vidic.

5 - Games in which ManYoo have failed to score. One of those was against Southend in the Carling Cup.

6 - ManYoo goalscorers that came through the youth system at the club. Note; Gary Neville is one of the few players in the squad yet to score.

7 - Yellow cards picked up by both Vidic and Paul Scholes in the Premiership.

8 - Times ManYoo have scored four or more goals in all competitions.

9 - Goals conceded in the first halves of 33 Premiership matches.

10 - Players in top 50 of Actim Index ratings. Chelsea have only four.

11 - Premiership games played by Kieran Richardson. Six came as sub.

13 - Goals in ManYoo's last three games.

14 - Premiership points won from a losing position.

15 - Premiership goals set up by Ronaldo. Frank Lampard and Cesc Febregas are next on the Premiership list with 11.

16 - Premiership goals scored after the 75th minute.

17 - Goals scored at home in the Champions League. As opposed to three away from Old Trafford.

18 - Combined total of goals scored by Scholes and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, whose careers were in doubt last summer.

18.6 - Million pounds spent by Sir Alex last summer, all on Michael Carrick.

19 - ManYoo players on the scoresheet.

20 - Goals scored by Wayne Rooney in what has been, at times, a disappointing season.

21 - Goals scored by Cristiano Ronaldo in what has been, at times, a remarkable season.

22 - Players used in the Premiership.

77 - Goals scored in 33 Premiership matches. That's 20 goals more than Arsenal and 21 more than Chelsea.

114 - Goals scored in all competitions.

400 - Pounds given to Ronaldo by Sir Alex when he hit the 15-goal mark

• 3 weeks later...

hey if the worst comes to the worst and Chelsea beat Arsenal and us, it really shouldn't matter, West Ham only need a point to stay up anyway, can't see them going all out to beat us icon_biggrin.gif I wouldn't like to win it that way, but both teams will probably settle for a draw in the end.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by T!mbo:

Nick shouldn't have torpedoed the Sir Galahad tbh </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sir Galahad wasn't torpedoed.

Archived