The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> By SEAN HAMILTON

MAN Utd stars may be fitted with MICROCHIPS — so boss Sir Alex Ferguson can map their movements on the field.

But the players are outraged because they fear Fergie will monitor where they go OFF the pitch — including shopping sprees and wild parties at clubs.

Club coaches have already seen a demo of the system. And the idea has been discussed with players including Rio Ferdinand and Wayne Rooney. Many objected straight away.

Boss Alex ... wants to map players' movement with microchips

Boss Alex ... wants to map

players' movement with microchips

A tiny device would be injected under the players’ skin — most likely by the arm near the tricep. Then satellites would plot exactly where they run during a game — like a mini version of Sat-Nav in cars. When the data is downloaded onto computers it will help Fergie fine-tune tactics and coaching.

First-team coach Brian McClair said: “One or two players were not pleased as they thought the gaffer could locate them at any time — not that any of them would be somewhere they shouldn’t. It could also help him locate players who leave the ground before, during and after games.â€

A United insider said the club was willing to try almost anything to make sure its millionaire stars perform to their peak. He added: “If this system means the players win the title, I’m sure they’ll be up for it.†</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

From The Sun, but still icon_biggrin.gif

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20?:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Blaine:

By the way, on the keeper thing - is Foster definitely gone? Surely it would have been prudent not to sign that off before we signed Kuszczak. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think it's confirmed, I assume because like you say, they're waiting on the Kuszczak situation. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

tbh its probably best he gets first team instead of wiating on bench for the whole season

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The Mirror says Fergie believes he has finally found the man to replace Roy Keane and Mascherano's agents arrived last night to discuss a move to Manchester United. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

\o/

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20?:

Fletch has started brilliantly icon_cool.gif

Our passing's improved significantly since he's come on. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fletcher-Carrick to take the world by STORM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Snooky:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by snipersdream:

Hush convicts. Don't forget where half your ancestors came from. icon_mad.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Who would have guessed that the dregs of the UK gene pool were the ones that had all the sporting ability... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Gers set for loan swoop for Martin

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has confirmed starlet Lee Martin could join Rangers on loan.

The 19-year-old has been earning a name for himself with the Old Trafford youth team and Ibrox boss Paul Le Guen is hoping to take Martin to Glasgow on a temporary deal.

Ferguson believes his former club could be the ideal place for the talented youngster to hone his talents.

Ferguson told the Glasgow Evening Times: "Paul has spoken to me about two or three young players </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

"Two or three young players", So other than Martin who would be possibly going out on loan.

Would take Rossi but he's not available on loan this season icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

Man I'd love it if the FA tried to ban Rooney and he turned round and said

"Stick your England up your fooking arse sideways"

icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd love it too. One less United player to cost us a tournament.

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday, don't get me wrong, I hate the scousers but yesterday it seemed 90% of songs were about the scousers, the Gerrard song, why? It's embarrasing, do the scouse sing non stop about us?

We had a fecking great game yesterday, we've got songs for every player but now it's all about the scousers.

The week before a us/scouse game is fine but not the first game of the season when we're playing some bloody great football.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

Mart, don't forget, if he makes it and meets you at the wall, don't ask him a question or you won't get in the ground 'til the second half. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ooooooh Mark made a funny!

For what its worth I'm in no way as verbose in "real life" and especially around new people I'm not going to be overly chatty.

Not looking likely for me to be honest unfortunately, only two people are available to take my shift and neither are likely to take on the extra hours on a **** day of the week to be in but I'll try all the same. Neither were in tonight either so that kinda put a spanner in the works as well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Craig[EVE]:

A mate of mine who works at a law firm in Manchester sent it round to all of us (forgetting i work in London now) saying it's happened about 4 times now.

Don't know about you, but i'd rather we on my guard then injected with **** knows what. I was assuming most of you were from Manchester? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I got this in an email at work a couple of days ago, marked *SERIOUS, NOT CIRCULAR*... still wasn't sure how genuine it was until someone at work said she knew of one of the victims through her boyfriend.

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by hairwad:

Squad players 1999:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

G: Van der Gouw

D: Brown, Berg, May, Neville P

M: Butt, Blomqvist, Greening

A: Solskjaer, Sheringham

</pre>

Squad players 2007:

G: Kuszczak

D: Heinze, Brown, Silvestre

M: Park, Fletcher, O'Shea

A: Solskjaer, Smith

</pre>

Of course there is no disputing the 99 squad in terms of achievements and also having 4 top class strikers at the peak of their careers who could influence matches. On the other hand I think our current defensive and midfield replacements may just shade the old squad - especially if you take into account the current versatility of both our starters and replacements. Giggs began the 99 final playing right midfield did he not? Of course it's subjective but I think it's a lot closer than the old squad was great, our current squad has no depth. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, but it's not just that the squad depth there is better, the 1st XI was better as well.

From the back 5, Rio would make the '99 first XI, and Neville is still there. From the midfield, Ronaldo this season would be in contention, but Beckham and Giggs were both awesome that year. Scholes this year, for all that he's been great, was better in '99. And up front, there's no way that Rooney and Saha have been a better combo than Yorke and Cole who were utterly awesome that year. So you're looking at best maybe 3 players from the 1st XI making the '99 team.

Then for the reserves, while i agree it's closer than is made out, first of all any of those players is coming into a stronger 1st team. Then i'd argue over the reserves. Up front is no argument. Then in midfield, i'd take the '99 Butt over either Fletcher or O'Shea, and i'd take Blomqvist over Park. In defence, there's not a lot in it, i grant you. But given all that, the current vintage only really stacks up in reserves strength at the back, and that's about it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

boro ballot results now put back to tomorrow, what an utter utter joke. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The ticket office will be phoning round on the morning of the match at this rate.

How the **** are people meant to make arrangements? Surely they can release the 'x' number that are confirmed and then do more if / when we get the tickets?

barmy.

don't think you can read anything whatsoever into Smithy's performance last night. that game was the complete antithesis of what Smithy's game is all about. did well against Lille so i'm encouraged.

and yes, i do feel vindicated about Jonah icon_cool.gif

will blatantly sign him back in five years for £20m

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Robinhood:

A die hard Utd fan at work said he wouldnt mind Kanoute in the summer, 19 goals in La Liga this season-is he Utd quality? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Forlan scored about 25 or something stupid in his first La Liga season.

He is not even close to United quality. He found his level with West Ham and Spurs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I did have to agree with the fact that he'd make a good target man

Interesting reading from Choccy and it articulates a fair amount of stuff that I remember reading in a Rene Meulensteen interview/article from a while back, pretty sure it was in the thread last season or the season before that actually.

Pity that it seems very little has changed in terms of useful methodologies for youth development being employed across the board.

Y'know outside of the Youth Cup do we play Arsenal? I'm assuming its regionalised and we don't play them at academy level outside of that tournament. I'd be interested to hear if their ethos/methods mirror or are at least similar to our own emphasis on skills coaching.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

Ruud > Ronaldo </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm struggling to comprehend a three door car.

_ _

| |

/ ☺ ☺ \

/ ☺ ☺|

|_ _|

</pre>

Like that? What's the point? </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just enough doors for Ruud, Mika and I :*) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif

Who is driving?

• 4 weeks later...

I had a ticket for tonight but have an *ahem* uncomfortable infection and can't go now icon_frown.gif

fwiw I don't think we'll get battered or anything, but I can certainly see us shipping a couple of goals, which'll probably make it too much of an ask in the second leg.

What's with the grey btw? I've been away a couple of weeks...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by No Longer Bling:

cant believe anyone would think that beating ac milan in the semis of the champions league with THAT defense is anything other than a quite superb score. obviously not ideal that they got the away goals but a victory of any sorts seemed beyond our wildest dreams given the injuries.

perspective. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just have to agree with all your posts right now... well this one and the one about Rooney's shot

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

Edwin not good enough for the first XI? crazy talk there. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not really, he'll be another year older next season and seemed to have lost his bottle this year when we really needed him to step up and be a leader.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 14AlanSmithifb:

The day Cantona left was just so surreal and it didnt really sink in until the first game afterwards.

But for me it was Kanchelskis, easily our best player in the 04/05 season (and my favourite player at the time) , jut gutted (partly due to the fact I had spent about £10 to have his name & number on the back of my shirt about 3 months ago.). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll assume you mean 94/95 there.

Archived