The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Yeah I'm just putting the finishing touches on my Hugo Viana effigy now Fran </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Let me know how you get along icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Yeah I'm just putting the finishing touches on my Hugo Viana effigy now Fran </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Let me know how you get along icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

1993 - 2000 The Jim Henson Company

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So, we’re literally employed a Muppet?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Francis Cole:

haha, DJ*2, someone you lot hated so much says Ronaldo will stay and he's praised. Viana says Ronaldo should go to Spain and he's the new hate figure.

To quote you lot when you want to belittle someone:

Bless </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

did they remove your brain when they removed the blue badge :/

a) i don't think anyone ever hated Djembax2, we just (entirely understandably) thought he was nowhere near good enough for us. we're hardly falling over ourselves to kiss his feet upon these latest comments either, just a bit of banter in jest (possibly hard for a Leeds fan to understand humour icon_frown.gif).

b) Viana the new hate figure icon_biggrin.gif 'bless' indeed. he's clearly got a chip on his shoulder about english football, and he's sticking his nose in where it's not wanted and trying to unsettle one of our star players. but hell, let's applaud that lest Fran finds any 'hate' offensive icon_frown.gif

Re: The charity match:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> United manager Alex Ferguson has promised to play a full-strength side in the match. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yippee :/

its tough, because influential refers to their impact on the team as a whole / the ferguson era itself. so you could feasibly have mark robins as number 3 or somewhere equally as high. as well as that, an influence is someone who is a driving force, more often than not vocal, so you could even have people like ince in there ahead of other more obvious candidates

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> United manager Alex Ferguson has promised to play a full-strength side in the match. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yippee :/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

tbh Full Strength to him means Richardson and O'Shea

Yippee :/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i swear, if anyone gets injured in that match icon_mad.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

its tough, because influential refers to their impact on the team as a whole / the ferguson era itself. so you could feasibly have mark robins as number 3 or somewhere equally as high. as well as that, an influence is someone who is a driving force, more often than not vocal, so you could even have people like ince in there ahead of other more obvious candidates </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Indeed, that's why I thought it was an interesting question.

It'll be fun to see what justifaction Ruudboy Mika uses to explain horsey at one.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Francis Cole:

Winding you lot up is the only fun I get icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

hmm, fair enough. it does make you look a bit daft, but if you aspire to be a more verbose pires then that's ultimately your call

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

24 Leeds 31 6 2 8 18 24 3 1 11 16 32 -22 30 </pre>

not surprised that's the case.

Tricksy....

My top 3 could really be in any order. Should be that combination in everyone's top 3 really. icon_mad.gif

1) Roy Keane - OVERALL influence, he played such a huge part in so many of those 8 titles. Just look at what his absence did to us in 98, to an extent in 02, and where we've been since his powers have waned. Mostly longevity - Juve apart I can't think of any hugely important specific events. Just a case of being at such a high level so consistently.

2) Eric Cantona - catalyst, pushed a good team over the top into a great one. As for individual moments, well - the two cup finals, the 1-0 over Newcastle etc etc.

3) Schmikes - More so in the early and mid 90's than towards the end of his career. But as has often been pointed out, he won us so many points over the years. Plus his save from Bergkamp in the FA Semi replay was crucial.

4) Ryan Giggs

5) Paul Scholes

6) Ole Solskjaer

7) Mark Hughes

8) David Beckham

9) Steve Bruce

10) Ruud Van Nistelrooy

Rooney and Ronaldo don't get anything until we win the league. Honorable mentions to Mark Robins, Lee Martin, Bryan Robson, Teddy Sheringham, Rio Ferdinand and Jaap Stam.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Nick OGS20 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was trying to offer advice 3 pages ago and you seemed to ignore me.

pjburrage:

Indeed

Anyway I'm off to be taught how to not run over people whilst in a car.. laters!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

24 Leeds 31 6 2 8 18 24 3 1 11 16 32 -22 30 </pre>

not surprised that's the case. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://img172.imageshack.us/my.php?image=leedsnf9.jpg

oh and i dont think there is any way ruud should be in the top 10 in terms of influence on the ferguson era. you could argue he hindered it almost to the point of no return thanks to the unsuccessful change in system that saw us go from three times consecutive title winners to a team 'not playing the united way'

mine's basically ali's list, although i might have Dwight Yorke in there (maybe even ahead of Ruud) purely for the impact he made in the defining season of the period we're looking at. might have Ole higher as well, just because of the ridiculous number of crucial goals, again especially in THAT season.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

oh and i dont think there is any way ruud should be in the top 10 in terms of influence on the ferguson era. you could argue he hindered it almost to the point of no return thanks to the unsuccessful change in system that saw us go from three times consecutive title winners to a team 'not playing the united way' </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Veron was far more the cause of that.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

oh and i dont think there is any way ruud should be in the top 10 in terms of influence on the ferguson era. you could argue he hindered it almost to the point of no return thanks to the unsuccessful change in system that saw us go from three times consecutive title winners to a team 'not playing the united way' </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Veron was far more the cause of that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly.

Just give it up gonch. Seriously. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ahahah i thought you had gone to work icon_biggrin.gif

i couldnt resist, though i do think its a fair enough point for discussion. i agree though, veron can be held just as accountable. though the ruud upfront on his own thing is based around the fact he can play that role so well so i dont think you can argue that hes exempt from any such discussion.

ruud's main argument in favour, as far as im concerned, is his excellent record in the 2002/2003 season. that aside i dont really think hes been that influential.

yorke, cole, solskjaer and hughes certainly higher than him in terms of influential strikers for me, despite their poorer goal ratios

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

Yeah, Ruud and Scholes basically won us the 03 title, he deserves to be in there. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

beckham got about 18 assists, you cannot discount him.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

Yeah, Ruud and Scholes basically won us the 03 title, he deserves to be in there. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

beckham got about 18 assists, you cannot discount him. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

probably his worst season for us, regardless of those numbers.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

probably his worst season for us, regardless of those numbers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

maybe so, but you can't discount that many assists when analysing a title winning season as far as im concerned.

Just give it up gonch. Seriously. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ahahah i thought you had gone to work icon_biggrin.gif

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm doing Uni work...on the PC icon_biggrin.gif

I was paraphrasing. Of course others played their part - Rio was outstanding, it was Keane's last hurrah etc. On the Beckham point though, I think it's important to note that in those crunch games towards the end of the season - the ones where the title was essentially decided - Ole was playing on the right.

btw lads, who are your 2 players of the season so far? i saw a poll of united fans on this recently, scholes and ronaldo were tied.

for me:

1) Paul Scholes - (sometimes overshadowed by more prominent team members in the past maybe because of the very quiet way he goes about things, but for me it has been impossible to ignore just how good the lad is, this season more than any. would be thrilled if he won player of the year, not sure he would though)

2) Cristiano Ronaldo - pretty self explanatory, the year he came of age as a consistent and genuine threat. hard to separate the two really but scholes edges it for me.

Most Improved so far:

1) Cristiano Ronaldo

2) Patrice Evra

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rage1999:

was top 5 definatly

dont be stupid </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

well that's me shot down icon_frown.gificon_frown.gif

he wasn't. it's an opinion. make a case against it or stfu, ta

btw lads, who are your 2 players of the season so far? i saw a poll of united fans on this recently, scholes and ronaldo were tied.

for me:

1) Paul Scholes - (sometimes overshadowed by more prominent team members in the past maybe because of the very quiet way he goes about things, but for me it has been impossible to ignore just how good the lad is, this season more than any. would be thrilled if he won player of the year, not sure he would though)

2) Cristiano Ronaldo - pretty self explanatory, the year he came of age as a consistent and genuine threat. hard to separate the two really but scholes edges it for me.

Most Improved so far:

1) Cristiano Ronaldo

2) Patrice Evra </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Blimey, we agree on something icon_biggrin.gif

Ruud carried us for his first three seasons, his contribution was massive. As it happens I still don't think he would make my top 10 in this, what is a very specific list. During 2001-2004 though he was out of this world. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I agree with this. He was unbelievable. As has been pointed out, his quality at this time coupled with Fergie's insistence on including Veron because we weren't 'European' enough prompted a switch to a style that just didn't suit us. But that's not Ruud's fault, he was immense.

Agreeing with Mika. About Ruud. SHOCKING icon_frown.gif

for me:

Most Improved so far:

1) Cristiano Ronaldo

2) Patrice Evra </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Blimey, we agree on something icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

haha tbh i think bar ruud we actually agree on quite a lot of things mate

expanding on your list, I'd have Evra and Vidic in at 3 & 4 with probably Saha rounding out the top 5...if Giggs had been able to maintain his early form then it would have been him. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

same, vidic deserves a mention. i would have had saha as 5 but he has been so very poor since basically the manchester derby that even i as a staunch supporter of him and struggling to back him right now. rio would be 5th for me, hes been immense, every bit as influential as vidic

Archived