The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

we'll ***** 20m on hargreaves sadly.

summer going to be utter utter tedious icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Okay. Last summer was all about what, exactly ?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> "We are much better than Manchester United. The difference in points in the Premiership is just a coincidence.

"It is just a matter of days before we are the leaders...I have done the calculations and we will finish at least five points clear of United at the top of the table." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ul essien icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by No Longer Bling:

yeah it has to be said, very well played to big john. hes gone from being deep in the silvestre/richardson group to clawing himself into the 'not THAT bad group', just behind fletcher and brown. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

For me he's quite a bit behind Wes, who is well behind Fletch. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wmgs. Still I'm cool with JOS staying for now. He'll do a Butt/PNev move in good time anyway.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by nistelrooy_uk_10:

we keep getting linked with Quagliarella of sampdoria. anyone seen much of him? he's a striker iirc. and quite young. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Only seen a couple of clips so not informed enough to make a real judgement but can't say I was really enthralled by what I did see.

Cue tl;dr...

I can't see us making a move for anyone but OH unless a series of moves out for certain unreliable/wasters free up funds for another one or two moves but just for the sake of it I’m going to go through pj’s post...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

If we could get a striker of the quality of Klose, Torres, Pazzini, or Huntelaar, then the striker would be the first target. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

From what I've read Klose is on his way to Bayern or Juve; Torres is very likely to be out of our price-range IMO; Pazzini looks like he's got potential but I've not seen enough of him to really get an idea of his potential; KJH, from what I've seen from regular Dutch highlights does look really quite good as a goalscorer, but I get the impression that he could probably do with another season at Ajax (as well as a CL campaign IMO) before he's ready to move to a bigger league. Outside of those I'm not sure who else fits into that sort of band of striker tbqh.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

If however we are only going to get a Defoe, Bent, or Owen, then get a top quality winger first. Someone like Ribery or <STRIKE>Mavuba</STRIKE> Malouda would be an ideal starting point. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with the striker standard point, don't really want Defoe or Owen, Bent I'd take if the price was reasonable but that’s unlikely to happen because unless he kicks up a mighty fuss (which I don’t get the impression that he’d do), Charlton are well run enough to avoid the need to sell & if he's cool with a season in the Championship, Bent would be key to their immediate return.

Personally I'm not interested in dealing with Lyon for Malouda, they'll only try to rip us off with the fee and I've got to say that I've never really been impressed with him. Similar for Ribery tbqh. Although he did destroy a team pretty much by himself for Marseille last week, which was quite impressive.

The difficulty is that top quality wingers, like top quality full-backs, are really hard to find. Based on the form from highlights I've seen I actually think Quaresma might be ready to try a bigger league again, and I think Nani has looked like he'll be a good player, although he does have a very light frame it seems so I'd be concerned about ending up with a Viana rather than a Ronaldo playing in the Prem.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pj burrage:

If a Gennaro type central midfielder turns up, I say grab him first, but Hargreaves (even though he's the greatest ever) should not be targeted ahead of one of the top quality players in the previous two positions. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Like I said at the start, I think OH is going to be our only major IN without some secondary funding squad shake-up, and with Saha being left out today I'm tempted to say that I think Fergie would be up for a bit of a cull.

By necessity or by choice Fergie has shorn the squad of numbers a fair bit recently and it might just be that he's ready to take advantage of our positive turn to actually dump the rest of the deadwood, reinvigorate the squad with a couple of the youngsters that are currently out on loan, and make more than one signing if circumstances permit.

IMO this is the ideal time to look to do this because of our recent return to prominence as far as competing for the league goes (our Name only goes so far), as well as for the fact that it makes sense to do so. 3 core signings in the positions highlighted (DM/W/SC) and the support of returning loanee’s (Pique & Rossi especially) can make sure that we don’t fall behind again because while our current squad has managed admirably, we all know that our main competitors are going to strengthen, and we can’t sit still with what we’ve got.

Anyway I can dream. Reality will set in when the OH saga runs into late July and we don’t sign anyone else…

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Pazzini looks like he's got potential but I've not seen enough of him to really get an idea of his potential </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Seeing Pazzini up close at Wembley the other month, he looks an absolute brilliant prospect, sort of like a younger version of Berbatov. He's very strong, quick and has a great shot on him.

GTF in \o/

terrible game really, relieved to get the three points out of that game seeing as we wern't firing on all cylinders, although City's lack of anyone who knew how to pass or attack in the final third certainly helped us. Nailed on penalty and another calmly slotted penalty from Ronnie, as for the penalty they got, referee got it totally wrong (like most of the other things today, Michael Ball not even getting booked for kicking Ronnie all over the pitch ffs).

Not sure if I want Arsenal to win tommorow , just so that we win the title on our terms instead of relying on someone else to lose the title.

1 more point icon14.gif

hey if the worst comes to the worst and Chelsea beat Arsenal and us, it really shouldn't matter, West Ham only need a point to stay up anyway, can't see them going all out to beat us icon_biggrin.gif I wouldn't like to win it that way, but both teams will probably settle for a draw in the end.

• Administrators

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rcjuk:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Juni:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">then get a top quality winger first. Someone like Ribery or Mavuba would be an ideal starting point. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mavuba's as much of a winger as you are dude. Name-dropping without watching again? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh that's right.

Must watch 20 hours footage before you can comment.

Tool. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

when he's calling a defensive midfielder a winger I think my point stands, muppet.

as a general point it's fair enough. this summer will be tedious enough without loads of 'player x would be an awesome signing' on the back of a few newspaper headlines and some fine FM performances.

not that that's what PJ did, but you could see why it would look like that originally.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUUOLSfl_Y8 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

awesome. fo stewards </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

God I ****ing hate channel seven. Completely gloss over the fact Ronaldo got stamped in the chest but he 'made the most of a challenge to win the penalty'. ****ing *****. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Seven so bitter after having to deal with years of pathetic NSL and low ratings, then Fox Sports comes in and takes the rights, and the A-League goes big.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Pazzini looks like he's got potential but I've not seen enough of him to really get an idea of his potential </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Seeing Pazzini up close at Wembley the other month, he looks an absolute brilliant prospect, sort of like a younger version of Berbatov. He's very strong, quick and has a great shot on him. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just re-read that line of mine and realised how badly its written - I can see he's got potential but I've not seen enough of him to get an idea of his potential ffs icon_biggrin.gif ...obviously I meant how extensive his full potential might be if that makes more sense.

Anyway, if Pazzini does look like he's similar to Berbatov then that can only be a good thing.

Lyon might be interested in Saha. We'll have our £13million back then thanks Monsieur Aulas.

Do some/most of you not hope that Chelsea win today?

Not that I have any experience of my team in a title race, but Id prefer us to win it on the pitch rather than our rivals dropping points the day after we've played.

I know that all that matters is that you've won it, but after having to wait 3 seasons to get the title back would it not seem a bit hollow (for want of a much better word) if you step out on Wednesday knowing that you've already done it?

Mind you, the idea of Mourinho having to contemplate a guard of honour is probably worth it icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by theis:

Still hasn't really sunk in that we might win the title this afternoon </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think that's because while it could be sealed today there's a chance that it won't happen because of events at the Emirates and we might be waiting another 270 minutes or so after that until we officially get our hands on the title depending on what happens on Wednesday & next Sunday.

Until the math says that the Prem trophy is coming back to OT we can be optimistic because it’s in our hands to a large extent, but I think that’s where the hesitancy comes from. Of course when they kick off at 4pm I, like everyone else on here, will be willing Arsenal to do us a favour and that’s when the tension/elation balance will be thrown right out of whack.

i want us to win it today. think if chelsea win today they will really be up for wed and do us there. not exactly thrilled at the prospect of last day needing a result against west ham again ta. would much rather we play some beautiful football and relegate them whilst whistling im forever blowing bubbles knowing weve got the title sewn up.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by No Longer Bling:

it will have some meaning. it will mean we get a guard of honour at the bridge and can arrogantly start richardson knowing full well a 12-0 rout doesnt count for squat. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah good point icon_biggrin.gif

Hopefully have them applaud us onto the pitch as champions too icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by nistelrooy_uk_10:

it will have some meaning. it will mean we get a guard of honour at the bridge and can arrogantly start richardson knowing full well a 12-0 rout doesnt count for squat. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah good point icon_biggrin.gif

Hopefully have them applaud us onto the pitch as champions too icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is being applauded onto the pitch and having the guard of honour basically the same thing? icon_biggrin.gif

Note to self: I quoted the story not the link.

Silvestre keen to honour contract

Silvestre injured his shoulder in March

Manchester United French international defender Mikael Silvestre says he will be at Old Trafford next season.

Silvestre, 29, who is currently out with a shoulder injury, has faced competition for his place from Patrice Evra and Gabriel Heinze this season.

Silvestre told the Daily Star Sunday: "I still have two years on my contract.

"The manager did everything to keep me last summer and told me recently he has confidence in me. I can confirm I'll be in Manchester next year," he added.

Silvestre injured his shoulder when United played Lille in the Champions League at Old Trafford in March

Note to self: I quoted the story not the link.

Silvestre keen to honour contract

Silvestre injured his shoulder in March

Manchester United French international defender Mikael Silvestre says he will be at Old Trafford next season.

Silvestre, 29, who is currently out with a shoulder injury, has faced competition for his place from Patrice Evra and Gabriel Heinze this season.

Silvestre told the Daily Star Sunday: "I still have two years on my contract.

"The manager did everything to keep me last summer and told me recently he has confidence in me. I can confirm I'll be in Manchester next year," he added.

Silvestre injured his shoulder when United played Lille in the Champions League at Old Trafford in March

Yeah but if Pique is to come back and have any possible future in the squad then one of the current defenders absolutely has to go.

This season is just a freak coincidence that we had 5 injured defenders at a given time. I doubt this will happen anytime soon again.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Juni:

will you be congratulating Ruud if Real Madrid win La Liga?

just to be controversial and all that </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mika will.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

Mika will. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I will too!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SLO_Fila:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

Mika will. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I will too! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

whs

rvnftw

also, wp Keano.

also, come on Arsenal.

Archived