FMC - forcing you to grind out results to find success?

Is anyone else finding themselves forced to grind out results all the time as a bigger team in FMC? You can tell when complacency starts to kick in after a decent run and you have to tighten everything up to start grinding out results. But then, if a mistake by a complacent player does lead to an unexpected defeat, morale plummets.

Also, in FMC as opposed to the full game, there isn't a quick way to fix low player morale. My players don't seem to be able to play well with even okay morale let alone anything lower. Strikers go on goalless streaks and miss easy chances. Defenders make mistake after mistake and give up on marking players and tracking runs. Midfielders stop being able to find team mates with easy passes and so you have to tighten everything up and grind out results again.

If I want to play expansive, attacking football as a big team then I won't be consistent enough to win anything playing like that. I will maybe be able to play like that in 5-6 games a season. Every other match I feel forced into playing more cautiously, more rigidly, more disciplined and looking to - again - grind out results to find any success. As an example, it doesn't seem possible to take an approach like Liverpool's this season in FMC. Play direct, quick attacking football and sure, you might concede along the way and have the odd hiccup but, more often than not, you'll outscore the opposition and find success. If I try and set up anything like this in FMC then pre-season and maybe the first 5-6 games of the season will follow this pattern, then either complacency or a tricky fixture arrives and the winning streak is broken and morale plummets meaning that playing attacking football is useless as the players stop being able to play and I can't fix their morale!

Anyone else finding this problem? If so how have you overcome it?

I'm not sure I share this opinion.

I'm playing as a big team (Man Utd), in the 6th season we've been hugely successful throughout, playing in a buccaneering way based on Control Mentality, with some very aggressive Role / Duty selections, and some aggressive Team Instructions too.

There is occasionally a need to drop a Mentality against teams sitting very deep, but that tends to be all I need to do.

Morale tends not to be an issue due to the success we've had, but I have always been a believer that the impact of morale is overstated by many people.

Archived